HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

MrJamela said:
I just ordered one of these monitors from him. He's been extraordinarily helpful and patient thus far. I'll let you know when it arrives later in the week.

I'm really jazzed about getting this monitor....

Jaime

LOL my IM's at 12am EST weren't too annoying, right?

Jaime ordered a spankin' new L2335 from me today. It has two mildly burnt sub-pixels which frankly, don't show up unless you're an inch or two from the monitor. Tested it with UT2K4 and all and....wow, i want one.

cheers,

dave

kraken0698 said:
welcomerain said:
some pics and cliff notes:

welcomrain, that is exactly how my l2335 looks as well. When there is a black screen, I can see two distinct hotspots in the same location as yours. My question is, is this normal for this monitor? Should I try an RMA it? I only notice it on dark screens, everything else looks superb.

My L2335 looks exactly the same, it has those two hotspots in the same locations as well. I have had 2 of these monitors so far (returned the first one to a complete strip of dead pixels) and both have had these hotspots.

Quite honestly I think the HP quality control on the L2335 is terrible, but i'm willing to live with it due to the great picture quality and variety of inputs, also i'm sick and tired of returning LCD monitors, I also got a Samsung 213T which I had to return twice before I got a unit with an acceptable number of dead pixels. :(

kraken0698 said:
welcomrain, that is exactly how my l2335 looks as well. When there is a black screen, I can see two distinct hotspots in the same location as yours. My question is, is this normal for this monitor? Should I try an RMA it? I only notice it on dark screens, everything else looks superb.
For those of you that have these hotspots, how long after the monitor has been on do you see them in full? Or does it happen instantly?

- Leo

leobag said:
For those of you that have these hotspots, how long after the monitor has been on do you see them in full? Or does it happen instantly?

- Leo

For me, I can notice them pretty much when I turn the monitor on. They do appear to become more pronounced after the monitor has been on for a while though. This thing puts out some heat from it, that is for sure. I still like the monitor. UT2K4 at 1900x1200 on this thing is a sight to behold. I staggered the first time I fired it up. Oh, I have an ATI Radeon X800XT PE powering this thing, so that shouldn't be an issue.

leobag said:

- Leo

I generally see them after a few minutes of usage, after the monitor has had time to really pump up the temperature.

Im saving up for this lcd now, but my question is. Since this monitors refresh rate at its native resolution, is 60hz, there would be no point in me building an sli system when they come out later this year, early next year, because this lcd cant display anything more than 60fps? Am i correct?

Don't build SLI to go over 60 FPS.

Build SLI so you never drop below 60 FPS.

unless of course, you're more into benchmarking than playing games.

lcd refresh rate and game refresh rate aren't near as intertwined as crt and game refresh rate, either, fyi.

tekguru said:
- Cards those recommded seem to be the Nvidia 6800 ultra, and the ATI X800 XT PE, concerning these a freind has advised:

So which is the best to go for?

HELP!

I wouldn't use ATI even if my life depends on it. It doesn't matter if they are 10X faster than nvidia. Their software driver crashes so many times each day when you use it, it is not even funny. Their software driver has been like that since 1980. Every ATI series driver is like that.

Dave Grahm,

Any chance of you selling the new SONY SDM-P234B? If I could get a decent deal from you on this I think I'd take it over the HP....

Im a sucker for brushed metal and glowing emblems... heh.

leobag said:

- Leo

it is consistently present. the darker the color, the more noticeable.

kraken0698 said:
welcomerain said:
some pics and cliff notes:

[IM]http://www.iupload.net/082004/IMG_1180.jpg[/IMG]

according to the testimonials in this thread, it would seem as if it's a common issue, but it is more pronounced for some than others. i RMA'ed my unit back to pagecomputers.com and jumped ship for the sony sdm-p234. i used it regularly for a week but during the few times i wanted to watch tv from my tuner or a widescreen movie, as if i suffered some major obsessive-compulsive disorder, it was just too annoying to bear with and detracted from the movie. well, at least until it pychologicaly phased out after getting absorbed into the film.

during typical usage i would never notice it unless if i was at peculiar angles or actively attempted to look for the hotspots on a dark background.

utsava said:
Dave Grahm,

Any chance of you selling the new SONY SDM-P234B? If I could get a decent deal from you on this I think I'd take it over the HP....

Im a sucker for brushed metal and glowing emblems... heh.

I'll have to check and see... :)

cheers,

dave

I will have pictures of my monitor soon :) I also seem to have the slight backlight issue where in top right of the screen its a little bright than the rest of the screen, but for me it's not bothersome. Unless you are really looking for it, I don't really notice it so it's no big deal.

But for now, I have a question.... I can't seem to get the panel in the back of the monitor opened. (so I can hook up my xbox and all that) I am afraid I will break it. How did you guys open it? This is redicilous!

Thanks in advance..

perfektrtw said:
I will have pictures of my monitor soon :) I also seem to have the slight backlight issue where in top right of the screen its a little bright than the rest of the screen, but for me it's not bothersome. Unless you are really looking for it, I don't really notice it so it's no big deal.

But for now, I have a question.... I can't seem to get the panel in the back of the monitor opened. (so I can hook up my xbox and all that) I am afraid I will break it. How did you guys open it? This is redicilous!

Thanks in advance..

I recommend a small flathead screwdriver, place the screwdriver in the little panel space at a 60 degree angle and apple gentle and smooth pressure.

I have no idea why HP made it so difficult to get this panel off, or why it has to be a detachable panel in the first place.

Happy Hopping said:
I wouldn't use ATI even if my life depends on it. It doesn't matter if they are 10X faster than nvidia. Their software driver crashes so many times each day when you use it, it is not even funny. Their software driver has been like that since 1980. Every ATI series driver is like that.

I hate to break from the subject but I just have to point out how misinformed this post is. I have used several ATI cards and they have been some of the best cards I have ever owned. Most of my experiences with ATI drivers have been quite good, with the occasional issue, but all drivers have issues. Sorry for getting off topic, I just can't stand to see such ignorance.

Let me correct your ignorance:

I started off with a Nvidia w/ 16 MB of RAM video card back in 2001 on my P4. All application and game software works fine.

Then I used the damn radeon card 7500, its software drivers crashes so often during game play, I sold it back and move to Nvidia MX440.

Since I also sell ATI cards as of 1992, I can safely said that all the ones I sold, as well as all the ones that Compaq bundles their Servers (embedded), notebook (embedded), desktops, all has major software drivers problem. For e.g.,

1) Screen savers causes the OS to crash
2) driver unexpected lock up computer during certain game play

ATI's chip is very good, but they just can't write software driver.

canislupy said:
Once I saw the HP was out, it just made more sense to me. DVI, VGA, S-Video, and Component inputs with Picture-in-Picture. 16ms and the massive 1920x1200 resolution helped too. 1080P Terminator 2: Judgement Day is awesome BTW. So, I can play games, have a massive desktop, watch TV in a PiP, play games, watch HDTV @ 1080... you name it. I'm happy so far.

For those who owned this HP, as I don't own this HP 23". Do you need a TV tuner to pipe the output of the TV cable to the input of your HP display?

If not, how can you display TV signal?

Happy Hopping said:
For those who owned this HP, as I don't own this HP 23". Do you need a TV tuner to pipe the output of the TV cable to the input of your HP display?

you need some way to take the cable signal and pipe it in via S-video. I run cable out from my cable box in S-video into my Denon receiver and then out to the panel.

cheers,

dave

Happy Hopping said:
Let me correct your ignorance:

I started off with a Nvidia w/ 16 MB of RAM video card back in 2001 on my P4. All application and game software works fine.

Then I used the damn radeon card 7500, its software drivers crashes so often during game play, I sold it back and move to Nvidia MX440.

Since I also sell ATI cards as of 1992, I can safely said that all the ones I sold, as well as all the ones that Compaq bundles their Servers (embedded), notebook (embedded), desktops, all has major software drivers problem. For e.g.,

1) Screen savers causes the OS to crash
2) driver unexpected lock up computer during certain game play

ATI's chip is very good, but they just can't write software driver.

<sniff>

smells like

F
U
D

someone please delete this post...complete and utter nonsense.

I was interested about the hotspots that people were experiencing... I think I may have been lucky because my monitor doesn't seem to suffer much with the uneven lighting. Just some info for people that may think that all monitors have uneven lighting.

MGF Date: April 2004

L2335.jpg

thats really good to know. any dead pixels?
Mine is coming Monday, and hopefully i wont have backlight issues or dead pixels.

good luck with that Jawad... :)

I checked out a few of those ebay auctions and frankly, they're a little sketchy to me. *shrug*

cheers,

dave

PS>anyone who's selling a reconditioned L2335 for 1400.00 should be shot.

Happy Hopping said:

As Dave Graham said, you need to have an external tuner. Personally, I have the cable box' video out cable connected to my L2335 and the audio out connected to my speakers.

Well the good news is that the L2335 arrived tonight and by all accounts it is an awesome monitor.

However with the Nvidia 5700 card I've a few questions:

Using DVI:

- If I try to use the DVI connection (as anticipated) I can't get above 1600 x 1204 res so it looks like I will have to go for the ATI X800XT card as expected.

- When booting the PC and it displays the Windows loading screen I get brief horizontal lines (about an inch in length) flashing across the screen. These vanish when I boot into a res of 1280 x 1204. If I increase the res to the maximum under DVI of 1600 x 1024 then the lines return.

Do, does this sound like the 5700 card is struggling to handle the bandwidth, and should this be cured by using the much more powerful ATI card?

Using the standard VGA monitor connection:

- Connecting the monitor using VGA allows the native res of 1920 x 1200 to be achieved, but on going into Media Centre (after changing it to wide screen settings) the Live TV display it totally blank. This has happened before when updating gfx card drivers and it reappeared after an hour or so, however it does not appear to be returning this tie around. Any ideas?

a customer of mine has had issues with his 5700 Ultra and the L2335. When i received the monitor, it was flawless. Backlight was perfect and pixels weren't a problem. that was with the VGA output from my Toshiba Laptop. He got it and complained that it had 6 bright dead pixels. I swapped it out for another monitor and he complained that there was a mass of dead pixels in the center. I tested the second monitor with my Radeon 9800 Pro and it was flawless with two grey dead sub pixels showing up only when within 1" or so of the monitor. So, I've not had good luck with anyone having a 5700 Ultra, but...this is only an isolated incident.

cheers,

dave

Cheers for that Dave any reported problems like i had with the slash dotted line zooming across the screen?

tekguru said:
Cheers for that Dave any reported problems like i had with the slash dotted line zooming across the screen?

none...

I've had a couple with random coloured stuck pixels, but...I can honestly say, most have been fine...

I had one where the component/S-video inputs wouldn't work but the panel was fine *shrug*

cheers,

dave

Hi guys, to get around the problem I've now ordered the ASUS variant of the ATI X800XT, so that will fix the card issues.

Final question I know the 2335 takes DVI-I as standard, but also want to improve cable quality so is it OK to go with a DVI-D cable as listed here, or do I stick with the standard cable?

Hope some can advise quickly so I can order today (1 hour left if I want it to ship over night today).

Have read all through the thread concerning DVI-I and DVI-D and still can't work out which to go for with the X800XT and the L2335 :)

Cheers in advance.

tekguru said:
Hi guys, to get around the problem I've now ordered the ASUS variant of the ATI X800XT, so that will fix the card issues.

Final question I know the 2335 takes DVI-I as standard, but also want to improve cable quality so is it OK to go with a DVI-D cable as listed here, or do I stick with the standard cable?

Hope some can advise quickly so I can order today (1 hour left if I want it to ship over night today).

Have read all through the thread concerning DVI-I and DVI-D and still can't work out which to go for with the X800XT and the L2335 :)

Cheers in advance.

My X800XT:pE runs 1920X1200 just fine with the included DVI cable that came with the monitor.

Looks perfect.

leobag said:
I was interested about the hotspots that people were experiencing... I think I may have been lucky because my monitor doesn't seem to suffer much with the uneven lighting. Just some info for people that may think that all monitors have uneven lighting.

Ditto that. I took a coulple of pics after seeing the hotspot post here, and found that I had none. :D

Still loving this screen.

tylerhskate said:
Why is there 44 pages about a monitor?

this is probably the single-most comprehensive thread on the web regarding this monitor. Nothing speaks louder than experience.

btw, if you have to use "a monitor" in the above sentence, you're not worthy to have an L2335. :p

cheers,

dave

Cheers guys, cross fingers the change over from one card to the other goes well tomorrow (if it arrives).

My first L2335 head a problem with backlighting, the back illumination of the display goes off and on when I turned the screen to portrait mode and back. I returned it for the new one that have +30 random colored stuck pixels and the base stand scratched from the vga cable during the transport in the box. I don’t know why the China packing guys leave the cable on the monitor and don’t secure it in better way. At the supplier warehouse we open two more L2335 boxes and booth of them has the scratched base. All of them were production March 2004, so I wonder it is a first production problem. The importer will return all the monitors to HP.
So I go to the Apple store to see the new 23" Cinema Display attached to a G5, I was disappointed about the contrast of the display, the small text on the HP are much much better (500:1 vs 400:1 contrast ratio).
Now I’m looking for the Samsung SyncMaster 243T 24", have everyone seen this display and how it performed? The display has 25ms Response rate, 0,27 Pixel pitch and 500:1 Contrast ratio. I’m also looking for the SONY SDM-P234B.

PS: I’m sorry for my not perfect English, I'm from Slovenia.

I've now had this display for three months and have just started noticing a problem. For the first few minutes that it is turned on, there are many pixels across the screen flickering blue on and off. This goes on for a few minutes and then the flicker speed and number of pixels flickering begins to slow down and completely stops after a total of about five minutes and the screen is fine for the rest of the time it is used. But if I turn it off and back on it goes through the same cyle. Has anyone else seen this issue? I have no nother problems than this, though. I love the screen and really hate that I may have to be without it for a while.

Lava Lamp Freak said:
I've now had this display for three months and have just started noticing a problem. For the first few minutes that it is turned on, there are many pixels across the screen flickering blue on and off. This goes on for a few minutes and then the flicker speed and number of pixels flickering begins to slow down and completely stops after a total of about five minutes and the screen is fine for the rest of the time it is used. But if I turn it off and back on it goes through the same cyle. Has anyone else seen this issue? I have no nother problems than this, though. I love the screen and really hate that I may have to be without it for a while.

Hi,

I got rid of this problem by checking "Alternate DVI Operational Mode" in my radeon control panel.

Regards

Al

Back