HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

Ok guys and gals,

Monday, 8/30 has come and....well, i've got good news.

the L2335 did NOT go up the 92.00 i thought.

Pricing removed until further notice.

Cheers,

Dave

Well, this Friday, I have an appointment with Cablevision to bring me my HDTV box to view HDTV on the L2335. Is there any advice on how to hook this up and get the best picture possible? From the online manual, it appears that the HDTV box has DVI out, is that the best way to use this. I have a 4 port KVM switch that will allow me to use the DVI option. Otherwise I can still go the component cable route.

Any advice is welcome! :)

jeffmace said:
Last night I tried hooking my XBOX up to the L2335 with the HD adapter and component cables. I set the XBOX to turn on the 480p, 720p, 1080i in the XBOX dashboard. Honestly I am extremely disappointed in the quality of the picture. Am I doing something wrong? Madden look terrible. There was nothing sharp about the image whatsoever. Yes I played around with the zoom settings on the monitor to see if that helped.

Hopefully someone can tell me something that I forgot to do to make it look better, because I don't see HDTV quality at all with the monitor.

Madden 2004 & 2005 both look razor sharp + amazing quality(compared to a standard tv) on my playstation2 though component cables, so do pretty much all the other games even if they don't offer progressive scan. Don't have an xbox so can't help ya there.

jeffmace said:
Well, this Friday, I have an appointment with Cablevision to bring me my HDTV box to view HDTV on the L2335. Is there any advice on how to hook this up and get the best picture possible? From the online manual, it appears that the HDTV box has DVI out, is that the best way to use this. I have a 4 port KVM switch that will allow me to use the DVI option. Otherwise I can still go the component cable route.

Any advice is welcome! :)

It looks great pretty much any way you input it. I ran it component for a while and it looked better than any hdtv ive seen, quality is the exact same as far as I can tell on VGA. Ive never tried it DVI but I don't think the quality could get much better than it is now.

Currently my l2335 is setup like this:

Component Inputs - Playstation2
VGA - HDTV receiever
DVI - PC
Svideo - free
Composite - free

This way I can run my ps2 PIP, so I can have games like madden 2005 online idleing in the lobby waiting for a game while I do something else - and if I want to watch hdtv, I just switch input to VGA. I would say if you want to watch hdtv PIP while on your computer, hook it up component, if not use vga/dvi to keep those ports free.

dabomb, thank you for your reply. I guess I will try the XBOX hookup again. I don't know why it looked so bad to me, but instead of everything look razor sharp like others have stated, mine looked really jaggedy and dull. There was nothing good to say about it at all. Maybe the new Microsoft HD adapter I bought was defective, or maybe the cables that came with it. I guess I will pick up some Monster Component cables to see if that does the trick.

jeffmace said:
dabomb, thank you for your reply. I guess I will try the XBOX hookup again. I don't know why it looked so bad to me, but instead of everything look razor sharp like others have stated, mine looked really jaggedy and dull. There was nothing good to say about it at all. Maybe the new Microsoft HD adapter I bought was defective, or maybe the cables that came with it. I guess I will pick up some Monster Component cables to see if that does the trick.

The players were still have some jaggies and pixels, but everything else razor sharp. Pretty good for only 480i on ps2. You might have to try enabling progressive scan or a hi def resolution in the game itself, I know you have to manually turn on progressive for the ps2 on games that support it

After fighting with this heap for the last few days I have decided that this monitor isn't worth the extra money I paid for it, versus the 2335. I have not been able to get rid of the "pan studder" that is present on any component video source. After several attempts to get someone at HP support that DOESN'T own a quickie mart I finally figured out that they have no clue.

All of the "indian" support reps had no clue it was a monitor. I kept giving them the model number but they insisted that I give them the model number of the tower. Um, hello Ghandi but I bought a monitor and NOT a CPU! After hanging up on 2 of the in search of a person with a clue, not to mention a more understandable accent I finally got a guy with an American accent. However, my joy was short lived as this guy had about as much of a clue as the rest of them. This guy tells me that HP only supports the PC input and not the Component input. Later on he tells me he really don't have a clue because he wasn't "trained" on this model.

I hope everyone else has better luck with HP support than I had. Its just too bad the monitor doesn't live up to what its supposed to do.

I'm glad that Costco has a no questions asked return policy.

Bummer.

nextwish said:
I live in Australia and I just got my L2335. When i first turned it on, i was very pleased, no dead pixels and my 9800 XT ran it in 1920 x 1200 DVI with no problems whatsoever.

I was extremely happy with it for about 4 hours until suddenly while using for web browsing and entire strip of dead pixels - spanning the entire screen from left to right - suddenly appeared. Basically a whole line of black pops up and nothing i can do will make it go away ... i tried changing to the VGA connector, shaking it, applying pressure to the screen etc. ...

It looks permanent. I believe this problem was noted previously by someone else, but their problem was a thick strip of pixels and came straight out of the box. My issue is just a single line (1 pixel thick) spanning the whole horizontal left to right of the display and it only arose after a few hours of usage. darn .......

Now i gotta do the replacement dance with my dealer

It sucks, but all monitors have this problem. I worked at a place that only ordered dells (1901fps & 2001fps) and experienced a few with the same problem (1pixel thick dead line).

Well I went out and bought the Monster XBOX component cable pack last night and fired it up. I still think Madden '05 doesn't look too hot and is the worst out of all my games. The colors seem dull and the models still look rather jaggedy. I popped in ESPN NFL 2K5 and it was like a breath of fresh air. It looked super sharp and vibrant. Of course MX Unleashed looked great because of its native 1080i output. I hope more games come out like this in the future. I also tried Toca Race Car Driver and MVP Baseball 2004. Both looked stunning. So I guess the game obviously has something to do with it and when you sit a few feet back, the games do look great. I do not have any experience at all at view a console on a plasma tv or any HDTV for that matter, so I have nothing to compare it against. Hopefully in the near future I will get one for myself.

Since this is my first LCD monitor, I was wondering if anyone out there played with color, brightness or contrast settings. I have mine hooked up via DVI with a BFG Geforce 6800 GT. Far Cry looks incredible at 1900x1200 as does UT2004. The color is just jaw dropping.

Are there ways to get the blacks to look blacker. Right now they have a milky gray color to them. I don't know if this is standard for LCDs, but I would like to know if anyone has any good methods of adjusting the monitors colors, brightness, contrast, etc.

Thanks

Dungeon_Master said:
After fighting with this heap for the last few days I have decided that this monitor isn't worth the extra money I paid for it, versus the 2335. I have not been able to get rid of the "pan studder" that is present on any component video source. After several attempts to get someone at HP support that DOESN'T own a quickie mart I finally figured out that they have no clue.

All of the "indian" support reps had no clue it was a monitor. I kept giving them the model number but they insisted that I give them the model number of the tower. Um, hello Ghandi but I bought a monitor and NOT a CPU! After hanging up on 2 of the in search of a person with a clue, not to mention a more understandable accent I finally got a guy with an American accent. However, my joy was short lived as this guy had about as much of a clue as the rest of them. This guy tells me that HP only supports the PC input and not the Component input. Later on he tells me he really don't have a clue because he wasn't "trained" on this model.

I hope everyone else has better luck with HP support than I had. Its just too bad the monitor doesn't live up to what its supposed to do.

I'm glad that Costco has a no questions asked return policy.

Bummer.

Wow, that was the most racist post I've seen I quite some time. Which is saying something since I also read the Yahoo message boards.

ok, finally got some pricing.

EDIT: Pricing removed until further notice.

All panels ordered will be honored at their specified sell rate.

cheers,

dave

It's just a quiet time of year. The L2335 is one of the best monitors on the market right now, and the price makes it the best value among the large monitors. Part of the silence could also be due to most of the information already being out there. What more is there to say?

oc

I asked Dave this question, but I'll post it here as well.

I would want to use this monitor for two separate machines (Mac and PC)...what is the best way to hook up both computers to the monitor while maintaining good image quality?

I was looking at DVI KVM switchers, but they are really, really expensive. Has anyone come up with an affordable solution to this problem? It's bad enough I'll probably need to buy new video cards....

Is there a way to hook one up as DVI and the other as VGA?

Jaime

DVI to the one you use most and VGA to the other. Cheapest method. You don't have to buy anything as the monitor comes with both cables and the L2335 has seperate DVI and VGA inputs.

yeah...

while i wouldn't care too much (i'm not a perfectionist) there is a noticable difference between DVI and VGA.

cheers,

dave

If you're going to buy a monitor such as the L2335 it would be a shame to not run it in DVI. The difference is immediately noticable and you wont want to go back to VGA :)

some pics and cliff notes:

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

*purchased at Pagecomputers.com for ~$1586.
*no dead/stuck pixels.
*numerous albeit minor scuffs on the panel bezel. not a biggie. with some difficulty, most of it can be removed.
*uneven backlighting. only noticeable with dark backgrounds. though, for the luck of the latter draw (perfect pixels) i'm debating if keeping this monitor is worth the sacrifice of irratating chaotic backlighting.
*vid card is a generic 9800 pro.

with ati radeon cards, enabling "reduce dvi frequency on high display monitors" and "alternate dvi operational mode" removes the intermitten artifacts as lodged by previous posters.

concerning the viewsonic:

with viewsonic panels, as my formerly primary currently secondary monitor, the vp211b (not 201b) still produces artifacts with the "alternate dvi operational mode" so it must be disabled.

conflicting settings :( though currently, through the analog d-sub, it is not neccessary. however, i'm getting a secondary pci with dvi out, so, this will inevitably pose a problem. i'll post followup remedies for all interested.

analog is ugly as sin and i definitely can discern the varying differences. the color temps aren't even the same even though both panels are set to 65k color temp. you can notice this nuance and nuisance in the second photo. there's this nauseous yellow tint in analog mode but is corrected in dvi mode. i am curious to test this phenonema with the hp panel as well, but i'm too lazy. i was even too lazy to compose this post. ugh.

i forget what else. perhaps later.

faux edit: oh yes. need to test the settings in X.

real edit: this personal gripe about design and not a manufacturing flaw towards l2335. the viewsonic can telescope lower than the olympic limbo champion; whereas, as displayed in the pics, that's about low as it goes. i had to raise the height of the viewsonic to compensate for the hp's vertically challenged design.

UltimaParadox said:
I am guessing you prefer the HP over the viewsonic then. I had been looking at both monitors.

incorrect. i love my viewsonic EVEN though it's slower. then again, i am also enamored by widescreen goodness. :(

well, i was complaining because i had to revert to analog on my viewsonic, since i do not have dual dvi-out--yet. otherwise, i'd still have two-somes with it and the hp.

welcomerain said:
incorrect. i love my viewsonic EVEN though it's slower. then again, i am also enamored by widescreen goodness. :(

well, i was complaining because i had to revert to analog on my viewsonic, since i do not have dual dvi-out--yet. otherwise, i'd still have two-somes with it and the hp.

Come on give me a straight answer.... :( , I can't make up my mind. And I really only need one monitor.

MrJamela said:
I asked Dave this question, but I'll post it here as well.

I would want to use this monitor for two separate machines (Mac and PC)...what is the best way to hook up both computers to the monitor while maintaining good image quality?

I was looking at DVI KVM switchers, but they are really, really expensive. Has anyone come up with an affordable solution to this problem? It's bad enough I'll probably need to buy new video cards....

Is there a way to hook one up as DVI and the other as VGA?

Jaime

I use my L2335 with two Macs. I have one connected via DVI and the other connected via VGA. Everything works fine. To switch between the two, I just press the "Input" button in front of the monitor.

As for quality, yes, there's a difference between DVI and VGA. DVI is clearly better, however, that's not to say that the VGA is bad, just not as good.

By the way, I agree, the DVI KVMs I found were also far too over priced.

This is the 4 port DVI KVM switch I use from Belkin. Here its $226, but I am sure there may be some places that have it cheaper. I don't exactly know what price range everyone thinks is expensive or not. I think this one works well for the price.

Belkin 4 Port KVM - DVI Switch

Have you seen the new 26" and 30" monitors from DELL. They look real nice and they are HDCP compliant. I think they are only 25ms but they are set for HDTV.

DELL WEBSITE

jeffmace said:
Have you seen the new 26" and 30" monitors from DELL. They look real nice and they are HDCP compliant. I think they are only 25ms but they are set for HDTV.

DELL WEBSITE

I have not seen these TVs in action personally, so I'm not going to comment on how well they perform. However, for my needs, the HP is still a better choice. The 1280x768 resolution and 25ms refresh vs. 1920x1200 resolution and 16ms refresh makes it a no brainer for my computers and X-Box.

jeffmace said:
This is the 4 port DVI KVM switch I use from Belkin. Here its $226, but I am sure there may be some places that have it cheaper. I don't exactly know what price range everyone thinks is expensive or not. I think this one works well for the price.

Belkin 4 Port KVM - DVI Switch

I just looked at that switcher.

Perhaps I'm not understanding completely, but that switch and all of the ones like it (even the really expensive ones) don't seem to support resolutions beyond 1600x1200 using the DVI. Is this a problem for the 1920x1200 resolution of the HP?

Jaime

I agree, that's why I bought the HP myself last week. This was just the first I ever saw of the DELL models. The one good thing that they have that the HP doesn't is the HDCP compliance that may haunt me later with the HDTV support.

MrJamela said:
I just looked at that switcher.

Perhaps I'm not understanding completely, but that switch and all of the ones like it (even the really expensive ones) don't seem to support resolutions beyond 1600x1200 using the DVI. Is this a problem for the 1920x1200 resolution of the HP?

Jaime

I own this switch and believe me, it does 1920x1200 just fine on both my Mac and PC. I run a BFG 6800GT OC on my PC and it looks wonderful expecially Far Cry. I love it!

jeffmace said:
I own this switch and believe me, it does 1920x1200 just fine on both my Mac and PC. I run a BFG 6800GT OC on my PC and it looks wonderful expecially Far Cry. I love it!

Cool. I think I'm going to go out and get the BFG card today....

Jaime

Does anyone have more info on HDTV and the HDCP compliance with this monitor. Does it really effect it at all?

jeffmace said:
Does anyone have more info on HDTV and the HDCP compliance with this monitor. Does it really effect it at all?

sure it does if you have a HD source that is only outputting over HDCP enabled DVI ports then you're out of luck with the L2335.

So as long as you use the component cable hook up, you should be able to view everything just the same, but I guess not as high quality as the DVI port. Is this correct?

jeffmace said:
So as long as you use the component cable hook up, you should be able to view everything just the same, but I guess not as high quality as the DVI port. Is this correct?

Yes, you are correct.

I was reading online that this monitor can pivot and comes with software that will alter the screen to match.

What a cool feature!

Does it work? Does anyone have a photo of their monitor working in this configuration?

Jaime

Back