HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

ive got the same backlighting issues with mine except mine arent as pronounced as the one on top and only become visible after being on for an hour or so.

Overall though an excellent monitor. Debating whether or not I should return it and risk getting one back with dead pixels since this one has zero.

see latest post.

PS> In case anyone is wondering why pricing changes so much:
1.) I buy directly from distributors. They purchase 25 unit blocks and secure pricing for those 25 units at that time. Each order block has a set price and their pricing from HP varies.
2.) I will do my best to honor what I can out there. If you've sent in a deposit, your panel is secured at the price we agreed on. However, pricing can and does change weekly, so...keep watching the thread.

Dear hp owners I have read all the tread and viewed all your photos because I love this monitor.I' am Italian and I have found it at 1800 euros.Before I buy it can you assure me that there is no ghosting at all in gaming?I love 3d shooters like doom 3 and half life but I work with it to with video applications.My vga is a geforce 6800 ultra.Thanks in advance for your reponses.I wait.................. :confused:

I can promise you that there is no ghosting what-so-ever. I have played through Doom 3, Far Cry, watch HDTV and play XBOX on this thing and I do not ever see ghosting.. Don't worry about it.

jeffmace said:
I can promise you that there is no ghosting what-so-ever. I have played through Doom 3, Far Cry, watch HDTV and play XBOX on this thing and I do not ever see ghosting.. Don't worry about it.

jeffmace, take a look at this. it is a video IoGan made of him playing farcry on his Apple 23" LCD which i've read is the same panel used in your HP 23" LCD.

http://homepage.mac.com/oliverclark/Public/iMovieTheater39.html

do you see any ghosting?

woodchuck

Hey. How is the picture when using this monitor on lets say regular old cable television, and not hdtv? Thanks.

Hello!

I will receive my L2335 this Wednesday and got a little worried when reading the last pages of posts. Everyone (?) seems to have atleast a Radeon 9800/XT800 when using the monitor, my computer is only equipped with a nVidia GeForce Ti4200 ... (other h/w: P4 2.8Ghz, 1GB RAM bla bla)

What is the minimum/recommended h/w when using the L2335 at native res (both in Windows environment as well as in games?). Is it possible to scale down the res to 1280x1024 or is 1600x1200 the only choice?

(Edit: I don't intend to scale down the windows desktop, ehh.. :D )

Cheers!
Anders, Sweden

Woodchuck said:
jeffmace, take a look at this. it is a video IoGan made of him playing farcry on his Apple 23" LCD which i've read is the same panel used in your HP 23" LCD.

http://homepage.mac.com/oliverclark/Public/iMovieTheater39.html

do you see any ghosting?

woodchuck

I honestly have not seen any ghosting like what I saw on that video. I have been using the monitor heavily for the past few days and I can not come up with any flaws in the picture quality. Don't forget though, the quality is good to me and may be terrible to others. Every sees different things, so don't go spend almost $2000 because I say it looks great. There is plenty of information that is in the forum to make a decision and buy from a place that will let you return it. If you don't like it, send it back and wait for something else.

As for the comment asking how does regular tv look when not viewing HDTV. Well basically it looks like crap and I won't watch regular TV on there nor did I ever intend to. HDTV looks too good to be true on the monitor, but the rest just looks plain bad. But thats not the fault of the monitor. Its giving it to you as it should and thats it

Could anyone from these forums who bought a monitor from Dave please post here as well....it will help him (as well as those of us who need a little assurance before buying anything online).

Thanks,

Jaime

MrJamela said:
Could anyone from these forums who bought a monitor from Dave please post here as well....it will help him (as well as those of us who need a little assurance before buying anything online).

Thanks,

Jaime

Yep I agree, If you got a goo deal please share your experiences. No offense to you Dave or anything, but as a fellow consumer I am sure you understand. :)

UltimaParadox said:
Yep I agree, If you got a goo deal please share your experiences. No offense to you Dave or anything, but as a fellow consumer I am sure you understand. :)

completely understand, mate. :)

cheers,

dave

NOTE: Pricing has been adjusted again.

From 9/8 @ 6:19 PM EST the price is now:

1550.00 + 10.00 shipping

units on backorder

Those who have NOT sent in a deposit or full payment, your pricing is as stated above.

This pricing supercedes any previous pricing mentioned in this thread.

cheers,

dave

Awhile back I made a post about my having trouble running 1920x1200 with the DVI/DVI cable that came with L2335LCD.
At that resolution, I was getting alot of green lines all over the place ,i.e. artifacts(like noise or static). This only happenned at the higher resolutiuons and only with the DVI/DVI connector.So I made do with the DVI/VGA cable.
My video card is the 6800GT.

If I recall there were a few others with the same prob.
Well, I think the answer is your motherboard. I recently had to replace mine (got it back in early 2001...intel D850GB). New mobo( MSI) and everything works as it should now in full DVI/DVI..

*for the sticklers out there, when I refer to DVI cable, I'm referring to the cable that came with the monitior*

I'm a happy camper now :D

Interesting, I tend to get some lines when playing movies in full screen? However I think that this has something to do with the graphics card (ti4200), not the monitor.. or? :eek: (I use DVI/DVI)

My experience(s) with the L2335:

1. Bought one in May--loved it.
2. Bought a second in July--MUCH better picture than the first with perfectly even lighting, no dead pixels, etc.--apparently I didn't know what I was missing.
3. Decided to RMA the first since there was a significant disparity between the two and when you're spending this kind of money...(not to mention it's very annoying in a dual-monitor set up).
4. Got a third that was actually much worse than the first, with badly uneven lighting and two hellish hotspots.
5. Now I am waiting for an HP tech to come out with a fourth monitor (yes, they're actually sending out a human being)--praying that this one matches the second in quality.

I find it a bit odd and annoying that there is such a staggering array of 'fit and finish' issues with these monitors, but if you get lucky and get a perfect one it's worth every penny.

ECM said:
My experience(s) with the L2335:

1. Bought one in May--loved it.
2. Bought a second in July--MUCH better picture than the first with perfectly even lighting, no dead pixels, etc.--apparently I didn't know what I was missing.
3. Decided to RMA the first since there was a significant disparity between the two and when you're spending this kind of money...(not to mention it's very annoying in a dual-monitor set up).
4. Got a third that was actually much worse than the first, with badly uneven lighting and two hellish hotspots.
5. Now I am waiting for an HP tech to come out with a fourth monitor (yes, they're actually sending out a human being)--praying that this one matches the second in quality.

I find it a bit odd and annoying that there is such a staggering array of 'fit and finish' issues with these monitors, but if you get lucky and get a perfect one it's worth every penny.

i doubt the QA is that bad.

what's more realistically happening is that they're just playing round robin with those monitors... your first monitor that you returned is probably being sent to someone else doing an RMA... to you there is something wrong, to the other guy maybe he doesn't think so... the monitor that you got in return (which you found was worse than the first one) was probably an RMA of someone else's... and so on and so on... scary isn't it

another way to look at this is, how can you prove what you got is brand spankin new? versus a RMA hand-me-down?

if you think whenever you RMA something you get a brand new one, think again... RMA's typically mean exchange for a refurbished/reconditioned one..

sucks to be a consumer

Quick question to owners of PNY 6800GT cards and this monitor, are you able to drive this monitor at 1920*1200 using the videocard? I am not having any problems with my BFG 6800GT but am reading up that certain GT makes arre having issues running widescreen resolutions. I plan on picking up another 6800GT and want to make sure I get a compatible card.

okay folks....

just wanted to pass this one on.

I've got a local customer who has complained of massive dead pixels on his L2335 monitor. I tested the first monitor he ordered using just the standard D-sub connector. No dead pixels and frankly, a beautiful image. He gets it, hooks it up via DVI-I to his 5700 Ultra and tells me that there are 6 dead pixels. Fair enough, i order another one. this replacement monitor came in yesterday, delivered to him today, and he calls me within 3 hours to say that there's a massive collection of dead pixels in the middle of the monitor,. Ok, i re-exchange the first monitor for the second, take the second one home, hook the D-SUB to DVI-I cable up to my laptop and....2 dead pixels that are hardly noticable. (you have to be 1" away from the monitor in order to see them on a black screen.

Going to try to run this pure DVI to DVI tomorrow on my 9800 Pro and see if i can reproduce the results (standard DVI cable that comes with the monitor). Just a reminder, your cable or card might be sending interference down to the monitor...

cheers,

dave

dave_graham said:
okay folks....

just wanted to pass this one on.

I've got a local customer who has complained of massive dead pixels on his L2335 monitor. I tested the first monitor he ordered using just the standard D-sub connector. No dead pixels and frankly, a beautiful image. He gets it, hooks it up via DVI-I to his 5700 Ultra and tells me that there are 6 dead pixels. Fair enough, i order another one. this replacement monitor came in yesterday, delivered to him today, and he calls me within 3 hours to say that there's a massive collection of dead pixels in the middle of the monitor,. Ok, i re-exchange the first monitor for the second, take the second one home, hook the D-SUB to DVI-I cable up to my laptop and....2 dead pixels that are hardly noticable. (you have to be 1" away from the monitor in order to see them on a black screen.

Going to try to run this pure DVI to DVI tomorrow on my 9800 Pro and see if i can reproduce the results (standard DVI cable that comes with the monitor). Just a reminder, your cable or card might be sending interference down to the monitor...

cheers,

dave

that's not good news. it means ideally you need multiple video cards, and multiple computers (just to be sure) to test the quality of an LCD monitor.

just a suggestion, if you really want to get to the root of the problem, and as you stated that you suspect it is not the LCD that is the problem, bring your rig and/or video card and test it together at your client's location. i don't know how feasible this is for you, but maybe you should consider it since you surely don't want to keep exchanging LCDs ad infinitum. heck, maybe it's your client's eyes that are the problem! ;)

woodchuck

Woodchuck said:
that's not good news. it means ideally you need multiple video cards, and multiple computers (just to be sure) to test the quality of an LCD monitor.

just a suggestion, if you really want to get to the root of the problem, and as you stated that you suspect it is not the LCD that is the problem, bring your rig and/or video card and test it together at your client's location. i don't know how feasible this is for you, but maybe you should consider it since you surely don't want to keep exchanging LCDs ad infinitum. heck, maybe it's your client's eyes that are the problem! ;)

woodchuck

yup...big issue, personally....

I'm pretty sure the DVI cable is shot, but....heck, we'll find out.

cheers,

dave

Dave, you still sellin these? Im super interested in one.

nardell {at) gmail (dot] com.

Woodchuck said:

woodchuck

Ok, just to update everyone.

I plugged the replacement unit into my RAdeon 9800 Pro 128mb card (DVI, of course) and....flawless. there are 2 dead subpixels that are incredibly hard to see and frankly, unless you're REALLY looking for 'em, you won't find em. I'm running the 9/9/04 catalysts with the card and everything looks spanktacular.

I'll just need to test out the first monitor and see if the same holds true.

cheers,

dave

Rim said:
INow I've got to crank it up to 1920x1200 (presently stuck in 1600x1200) and where to find a new video card.
I'm presently using my trusty 5700-Ultra but when I can get something in ATI X800 class or NV 6800 class I'll dump it so fast.
:D I'm glad I finally joined all you guys who bought the AWESOME 23" HP. :D

Question if I may, I'll be purchasing one of these superb beasties next week, but have only the NviDia 5700 in the PC. Will it work with the monitor in it's native res for basic work? That is non-game playing (I'm not a gamer). It will be used for standard windows operation as well as using the XP Media Center system.

If I do need to go for a new card (just bought the 5700 a few weeks ago as I was not planning on getting a new monitor then) what would be recommended at a decent price level?

Cheers

Iratus said:
Whilst we are on the subject of price I did manage to negotiate a discount from HP UK. I pointed out the fact that it was 5-700GBP Cheaper in every other country and that it was only €1500 (£900) in Germany as opposed to £1500 in the UK and that seeing as the online store for the UK is operated from Belguim they couldn't really justify this pricing.

They gave me it for £999 including delivery. w00t.

Out of stock for 2 weeks though. boooooooooooooo.

Awesome can you remember who you spoke to and which number you called. Just about to spend £1200+VAT so that woudl be a great price if I can equal it!

Final question, any decvent prices available in the UK? My local HP dealer will do £1295+VAT and so far not been able to beat it? Order to place on Monday if anyone can beat it :)

Okay guys I've been discussing with the Media Center users concerning the use of the L2335 with that system and comments have bene ade as follows:

Hmmm, this may be an issue with the "blanking type" chosen. Background: The output to the monitor is not only the actual visible image, but also some extra "blanking" data. Traditional CRTs required this blanking for the electron beam to go to the start of the next line after each line and to the start of the screen after each screenful.

LCDs still require some blanking, but can do with less blanking time than CRTs.

Now at these high resolutions, you're getting close to the limit of a single DVI channel (165 MPix/sec). Figure 1-1 in the DVI specification shows that 1600x1200 @60Hz can be done with 5% LCD blanking (i.e. 5% "extra pixels" during the blanking intervals), but *NOT* with GTF blanking for CRTs.

So the the display adapter defaults to too much blanking overhead, its output would exceed 165 MPix/sec for 1920x1200@60Hz, and thus could not achieve that resolution and refresh rate.

If that is indeed the problem, NVIDIA has build an advanced monitor timing setup into their latest Forceware drivers, with which the blanking intervals could be reduced.

What would really help would be dual-link DVI, but that's very rare (and expensive) - I think only recently, NVIDIA introduced Quadro FX as their first card with dual-link DVI. Aside from that, the monitor needs to accept dual-link DVI input as well, and I'm not sure if the model you're looking at does...

One more thing: A monitor with 25ms response time is _not_ really suitable for TV. 25ms means 40Hz refresh, whereas PAL has 50Hz and NTSC has 60Hz refresh. Furthermore, the advertised response times are typically for full black->white/white-black transitions, smaller transitions, i.e. between different shades of grey or different color shades will be even higher.

So you probably won't enjoy watching e.g. fast-paced sports events on this monitor. Even news stations with a stock or news ticker may not be good to watch, if the ticker moves so fast that the monitor can't keep up and makes the ticker blurry and unlegible.

So this begs the questions ref the L2335:

- Is the monitor suitable for this type of use, that is hires TV watching?
- Does it support dual link DVI input?
- Cards those recommded seem to be the Nvidia 6800 ultra, and the ATI X800 XT PE, concerning these a freind has advised:

Finally, the 6800 is a great card (especially the Ultra), but the ATI X800 XT PE blows it away and will cost almost exactly the same if not a little cheaper. You'll also be pleased to hear that the X800XT PE runs cooler (thus only requireing a single fan and single PCI slot) and it also only requires a single molex connector.

So which is the best to go for?

HELP!

dave_graham said:
me. look in the thread for my latest pricing post.

cheers,

dave

Can you point me in the right direction for your thread. Plus are your credentials. Do you own a business, ratings, reliability score, etc......

darktiger said:
Can you point me in the right direction for your thread. Plus are your credentials. Do you own a business, ratings, reliability score, etc......
What? You mean you don't want to read through 42 pages of posts?? ;)

Try clicking on his name then "Find More Posts by dave_graham" - that should help you out.

I will vouch for him... good honest guy trying to help people out.

- Leo

I just ordered one of these monitors from him. He's been extraordinarily helpful and patient thus far. I'll let you know when it arrives later in the week.

I'm really jazzed about getting this monitor....

Jaime

welcomerain said:
some pics and cliff notes:

IMG_1180.jpg

welcomrain, that is exactly how my l2335 looks as well. When there is a black screen, I can see two distinct hotspots in the same location as yours. My question is, is this normal for this monitor? Should I try an RMA it? I only notice it on dark screens, everything else looks superb.

tekguru said:
Only a pity you don't supply internationally :)

oh, i do, but the insurance/shipping alone will put the monitor well above what you can get it for there.

cheers,

dave

darktiger said:

lol...

I think my latest post about pricing, etc. is on page 41 towards the bottom.

in any case, yes, i am a business (Flickerdown Data System) based in Massachusetts. I don't make hardly anything on these monitors profit-wise and mainly, i'm interested in getting people deals on these things. I am a HP reseller, so, HP backs anything i sell.

cheers,

dave

Back