HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

:) Please, all you happy HP L2335 owners :)
Post some game screenpics showing your panel in "1920x1200" action and tell us what card your using? :)

I am running a Evga Geforce FX 5900 Ultra in DVI. This is a 1920X1200 of UT2004.

Shot00003.JPG

cappy said:
I desperately wish I had money. I can't even come close to affording the 2001FP, let alone this thing.

Indeed now that I purchased this my upgrading my main rig will be put on hold for a while and I am once agian a poor undergrad at college :p

Hey guys, I want to buy this monitor - but I don't want any dead pixels. Where have you guys purchased your monitors and do you have any dead or lazy pixels? Most the places have the most strict (and non existant) return policies on monitors they sell :(

Thanks,
.leo

Leo, I have ONE dead pixel towards the upper left side of my screen. Plus you can only see it with a solid red screen. I bought it from www.pcsuperdeals.com I am not sure of the return policy but you can read up on it.

leobag said:
Hey guys, I want to buy this monitor - but I don't want any dead pixels. Where have you guys purchased your monitors and do you have any dead or lazy pixels? Most the places have the most strict (and non existant) return policies on monitors they sell :(

Thanks,
.leo

Bought mine from page computers, 15% restocking fee. Two stuck pixels, one in each the lower left and right corners. No dead pixels.

By the way HD programming looks really good through component video. I am impressed. I am not sure if the one I have in the upper right is a stuck pixel or dead.

i bought my l2335 from page computers although i would not recoment that you buy from them. It seems the only reason i got one and got it when i did is because i called them every freaking day looking for a tracking number. They were a major pain. I wouldnt do business with them ever again after the problems i had getting this monitor from them.

i have 2 problem pixels but you can only notice them when the screen is full of one color.
i believe they are in about the same exact place as on canislupy's display.

neither are fully dead though... they will display some but not all colors or display the wrong color.

i only see one of the stuck pixels... but only when im stupid and keep looking for it to see if i can still see it :p

If i am paying attention to the movie or game or reading a forum i dont see it.

The Design Technica review states that the L2335 has a 350:1 contrast ratio, but performs better in that respect than most other LCD's.. anyone care to comment on that? The 350:1 spec just seems very low to me.

Thanks for the pic. Any chance of seeing another "action Scene" but take the pic with a digital camera? Thanks a lot.
Any other guys care to take shots of their l2335 playing a game?
Jesse someone knowledgeable said the correct figure for Contrast id 500:1. I think he said it was updated to this correct number in March but I guess HP being big, it takes a while to change paoperwork and its probably a low priority thing. Another guy said Contrast numbers are often baloney. He said the HP has incredible contrasts in shades and darknesses and we should go by what we see not some number on a sales dept paper that's probably outdated.

Leobag, go to HP website, the 'Business' section. The Home/Office section don't sell it. In Biz section "Store" you can order it for $1699 + state tax. I've heard couple buyers say HP has 30-day no hassle full refund policy, monitor don't have to be busted. You might want to to click on a link somewhere there so you can talk to HP Biz sales guy to verify that. Or find a phone number there and talk to live voice

OPTERON said:
i bought my l2335 from page computers although i would not recoment that you buy from them. It seems the only reason i got one and got it when i did is because i called them every freaking day looking for a tracking number. They were a major pain. I wouldnt do business with them ever again after the problems i had getting this monitor from them.

Ha, yeah. Had forgotten about that mishap. I didn't get the tracking number until it arrived. D'oh! No biggie in my book though. :cool:

Thanks Rim. Did you buy one from there? The only reason I'm not too quick to purchase one from HP, is the +tax and +shipping (which is over $150 for me ) :rolleyes: I know the monitor is already at a great price... but any money saved would be real nice.

Thanks to everyone that reported about where they purchased their monitor and the dead/stuck pixel frequency. Has anyone ordered from HP? Experiences?

Thanks, keep em comin' ;)

.leo

I placed my order with buy.com late mon. night/early tues. morning but the site still shows "sent to warehouse" a.k.a. not on the freaking truck, much less in the hands of a delivery man. :mad: So if you want one of these badboys fast, steer clear of buy.com. I only ordered from buy.com because the usual suspects (newegg, zipzoomfly) did not have them. But I'm looking forward to diving in to this badboy, and THANKS to all of you guys in here for pointing this LCD out to me. By the way anybody tried HDTV on this yet? Or for that matter the Picture in Picture to watch TV while surfing the forums? Sounds like my cup of tea.

Thanks for answering my brightness question, now here is another: What happens when you run a game at a resolution lower (say 1280) than the native 1900x1200? I can't imagine even the x800 XT allowing you to play the next crop of games (HL2, Doom3 etc) at such a high res, and I wouldn't want to have a monitor that distorts the imagery...

Also, is there any way to make the monitor run in a more standard resolution (ie not widescreen)? It would be nice to be able to limit the amount of warping that happens when playing games (shown in the UT screenshots earlier in the thread)...

And finally, I noticed this on HP's spec page (link): "Color Support: 16.7 million" .. This is a far cry from the 32 Million colours that I am used to seeing ( :rolleyes: ), would I ever notice this reduction in colour support?

I've been following the discussions on the L2335 for a while now and most of my questions are answered. But like Jesse and others, i'm also still a bit anxious and confused about the contrast ratio. I wish that HP could be a bit more clear about this! Same thing with the response time of 25ms for 'old' models of the L2335 and 16ms for newer displays.

Gameguru: on http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=757963&page=2, i see that you have two Samsung 172X's next to your L2335. I know these Samsungs have a contrast ratio of 500:1. How do these displays perform compared to the HP? Does the HP have a more 'faded' look when working in a typical Windows environment? Have you tried to display the same test pattern (or color photo) on both displays for example? Just curious...

Last question (but important to me): I have very poor eyesight and the native resolution of this HP is probably too high for me to work comfortable (while surfing, working etc.). I now use a 21" CRT on 1280x1024. I would really like to know how the HP handles lower resolutions. Can someone please try this out for me? Thanks!

Freejack said:
I've been following the discussions on the L2335 for a while now and most of my questions are answered. But like Jesse and others, i'm also still a bit anxious and confused about the contrast ratio. I wish that HP could be a bit more clear about this! Same thing with the response time of 25ms for 'old' models of the L2335 and 16ms for newer displays.

Last question (but important to me): I have very poor eyesight and the native resolution of this HP is probably too high for me to work comfortable (while surfing, working etc.). I now use a 21" CRT on 1280x1024. I would really like to know how the HP handles lower resolutions. Can someone please try this out for me? Thanks!

I would guess by sight that it leans more towards 500:1 than 350:1. All are 16ms, this has already been covered.

I would not run this monitor at a resolution other than native for desktop use. I would recommend instead, you use the tools, utilities, settings available in windows to make viewing easier for you.

I'm an HP reseller and COULD order one for you.

I'm not going to be able to do very much on the price, but....it'll be less than retail. PM me and I'll see what I can do.

regarding dead pixels....i'll have to talk to my HP rep about that (and my distro) but, i would assume I could cover you on that...

on my Viewsonic VG191, i've had 1 dead pixel in 3 years. and it's a white one, unfortunately, but....that's pretty damn good having crossed the country 2x's (moving) and moving 3 times within the state...

cheers,

dave

Freejack said:

Gameguru: on http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=757963&page=2, i see that you have two Samsung 172X's next to your L2335. I know these Samsungs have a contrast ratio of 500:1. How do these displays perform compared to the HP? Does the HP have a more 'faded' look when working in a typical Windows environment? Have you tried to display the same test pattern (or color photo) on both displays for example? Just curious...

In terms of contrast and overall picture quality (especially in Windows) the L2335 can't even come close to the 172X's

The 172X's are brighter, clearer have a better viewing angle and overall have a razor sharp image.

In games though the L2335 is awesome simply because many of the flaws that are apparent in Windows usage dont translate to fast paced gaming.

That being said for me at least the L2335 is prefectly acceptable for general windows usage..its nothing like the old Sony 23" LCD from 2 years ago which was all around horrible.

I'll try and answer your other question tonight..

Also I'm switching to a DVI AIW 9800 Pro from a Analog AIW 9600 Pro so that may help my image quality slightly also (doubtful though).

**edit**

Anyone else notice the odd Analog to DVI cable (not adapter) thats included with the L2335? Whats up with that cable?

Thanks man, that was very helpful. And now you made me doubt again ;)

I'm also thinking about the LG L2320A. I've read a pretty well review about this display here: http://www.computerpoweruser.com/ed...7a.asp&articleid=20761&WordList=&bJumpTo=True. Anyone experience with this one?

I'm not gonna use my 23 inch display for gaming (well, maybe occasionaly...), but for general Windows usage and web development (mainly programming, some graphic design).

I'm expecting the same high contrast (deep blacks, 'white' whites) as I'm used to on my 21" Sony Trinitron, but I don't think I'm gonna get that with a 350:1 constrast rartio (athough the guy at my local pc shop keeps telling me the HP is a 'actually' a 500:1) ;) The LG has a contrast ratio of 400:1, but the review says that the overall image looks 'faded'... that scares me :)

TheGameGuru: I'm looking forward to your resolution tests! :) Thanks in advance...

TheGameguru said:

That also looks like the new Logitech bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard if I'm not mistaken. That's one, well actually two, awesome display setups!!!

Guys just so you know, BenQ just announced a 23" LCD with a 16ms response time today. We posted a news article with an image at Designtechnica. It looks to be the same panel. This competition is good for that $1800 price. Here's our article http://news.designtechnica.com/article4434.html

They don't have it up on the BenQ site yet and I haven't been able to find a price or ship date.

This has the same exact specs as the HP monitor and again they say a 500:1 ratio. However, the HP guy confirmed with Ioman that it really is 350:1 and they are updating that info. I'd really like to know the whole story behind that. Is LG telling them its a 500:1?

nomar said:
Guys just so you know, BenQ just announced a 23" LCD with a 16ms response time today. We posted a news article with an image at Designtechnica. It looks to be the same panel. This competition is good for that $1800 price. Here's our article http://news.designtechnica.com/article4434.html

They don't have it up on the BenQ site yet and I haven't been able to find a price or ship date.

This has the same exact specs as the HP monitor and again they say a 500:1 ratio. However, the HP guy confirmed with Ioman that it really is 350:1 and they are updating that info. I'd really like to know the whole story behind that. Is LG telling them its a 500:1?

This panel has been available in Canada for 2 weeks now and I've been using it for this long. Anyway, I've posted my impressions of this panel on this forum several days ago. Here's the direct link.

EDIT: I think HP is full of crap though, because the LG panel has a 500:1 contrast ratio. The OLD panel had 350:1 contrast ration I think. You'd think that the panel manufacturer would know better than a third party? The specs are on LG's site, 500:1.

Armpit said:
I think HP is full of crap though, because the LG panel has a 500:1 contrast ratio.
Are you saying you think HP is full of crap and their monitor is 350:1 or is that representative full of crap and the panel is really 500:1?

.leo

leobag said:
Are you saying you think HP is full of crap and their monitor is 350:1 or is that representative full of crap and the panel is really 500:1?

.leo

The rep is full of crap, the panel/monitor is 500:1. UNLESS it is not an LG panel which is MOST unlikely.

leobag said:
I think there is gonna be an updated version of the L2320A soon. The LG site shows the L2323T as "coming soon."

BTW, I checked on the UK LG site, and it seems that the L232T is a lower end montior (1280 x 768, no USB, probably other stuff too). So nevermind about my comment above.

.leo

FYI I also got my L2335 from Page Computers. No problems what so ever, and it arrived a day early! (I chose 3-5 ground, ordered Wednesday afternoon EST and had it by lunchtime Friday). Didn't get my tracking number until Thursday, but that's not so uncommon.

ehZn said:
giant.....pictures.....

'YEA! I'm going to have to get a giant screen setup myself since my dual Viewsonic 21" CRT's just aren't big enough for these images!!

damn, that would be one sick surfing LCD.

i just got my 2001fp and i thought i was bigtime. the 2001fp is working great for me as my comp, and tv through xp mce. but one of those 23 inchers would be an awesome in room computer / tv.

Hi guys,

My contact over at HP sent me the following when I asked him about an update on the response rate:

"Further clarification - we have not shipped any f2304s (or L2335s) with 25ms panels.

The production panels have always met the 16ms spec; the specs were a little slow in getting updated, as the supplier wanted to verify that the improved spec would not result in decreased production yields…

I have set fire to the online team to get the info on our website updated. "

So that is the official word. He seems to be taking care of all of the confusion for us. I am very impressed with his dedication to our questions and concerns.

Quick question about the l2335, if you hook up something to it that has a 4:3 aspect ratio, such as a playstation2, would it stretch the image out, or add black bars on the side?

dabomb,

In the User Manual, the OSD has an option for "Image Control." In the "Custom Scaling" section of Image Control, there are these options:

Fill to Screen
Fill to Aspect
Ratio
One to One

So I think you would be able to configure it to work how you like it... but I am not talking from experience..

.leo

What are the build dates of the monitors you bought? Is there a way to tell when it was built by looking at the serial number?

The user manual online has a date of Oct '03 -- was there an updated manual that came with your manual? (not that it woule really need one... just curious.

Thanks,
.leo

Back