HP L2335 23" 16ms... sweet

I just find out that HP L2335 has 3 part numbers as P9615A, P9615W & P9615X .
I tried find out the differents but not much luck only that:
P9615A is Business Desktop
P9615W is Workstation Volume
P9616X is Workstation Value or as Enterprise
and thats all 3 of them have different prices.

Tomji said:
Guru, is yours a 16ms version?

If yes what is your Spares Number? Mine is 337986-001
and my assembly number is, 336166-001

You would help me a lot. I would need to return this model soon... (if in fact 25ms)

no clue...seeing as there is little in the way of accurately testing to see what its pixel response is I can only go by what it compares to my other LCD's

It ghosts reasonably the same amount as my 2 Dell 2001FP's

It's a very nice monitor and for the price you can't beat it..

Add component inputs and it awesome for playing Xbox on.

Based on that PDF I wouldnt get too excited.. they list it as <25ms which to me means its probably anywhere from 16ms-25ms depending on what color pixels are changing.

I place very little overall worth on just PS as a judge to ghosting as my 17.1" Sony SDM-V72B is listed as 22ms but ghosts less than my Samsung 172X's at 12ms.

<shrug>

I paid almost $1500 for my Dell 23" LCD TV and that can only do 1280X720 in PC mode so this monitor is a great deal... And the Dell 23" ghosts pretty bad.

Heres is my Dell 2001FP gaming bench in my basement....

Running both on X800 Pro's right now..

Picture%20014.jpg

Ok, after spending a little time with this badboy I can say it's the coolest monitor i've ever seen.

The size is _perfect_ for immersion factor, just big enough to envelop almost your entire vision if your about a foot away (it's sitting in front of my old monitor at the moment, so it's actually even closer than that).

16ms, 25ms, whatever this monitor rules.

My only wish is that it supported 960x600 as a native resolution (half the size of 1920x1200) since that'd be the best resolution for games with my current 9500Pro. Might play with powerstrip and see if I can get that to work.

Which reminds, the 4.6 Catalysts mention a HDTV custom resolution wizard, but I just installed them (actually the latest 4.6 based Omega drivers) and can't find that anywhere.. do I have to be using the HDTV dongle and component I/O to get that feature?

This is what the HP PR rep told me when I showed him the spec sheet you guys posted:

"The spec sheet you have may be old. It is speced at a 16ms response rate. I have heard no contradicition from our labs or other reviewers."

I have faith in him since he has been 100% honest with me. Hopefully this is the case with this monitor!

ioman said:
This is what the HP PR rep told me when I showed him the spec sheet you guys posted:

"The spec sheet you have may be old. It is speced at a 16ms response rate. I have heard no contradicition from our labs or other reviewers."

I have faith in him since he has been 100% honest with me. Hopefully this is the case with this monitor!

My monitor is certainly not a 25ms screen... my 172T's are 25ms and they ghost far worse than this monitor.

Whether its 16ms or 20ms doesnt matter it plays games perfectly.

You guys are making me salivate! My monitor still shows that it's sitting in L.A. :eek: It has a ways to go to get here to Michigan by Tuesday... I can't wait. I am replacing a NEC LCD1800 18' LCD. It's lasted me 3.5 years and still kicking strong but this monitor tempted me to buy. The reports of it handling HDTV beautifully was enough to sway me. :p

Tomji: Check the back again and look for the P9615(*) part.

If it's an A I'm certain it's 16ms.

If it's a W it _might_ be 25ms (the link you just posted was for the W)

This would make sense in corporatespeak, since "Business Desktop" is sort of code for "Executive Excess" while "Workstation" is code for "Person who probabally actually needs 16ms but isn't an Executive". If it's a P9615X then I have no idea what to tell you.

Anyways, all I can say is mine has no perceivable ghosting compared to my horrible 20" Planar at work (I asked for a 2000FP but purchasing got me that instead....)

So, if you're not 100% happy with the ghosting then you might actually have a 25ms one.

Someone else said:

Is www.hp.com the best place to buy this monitor from?

I bought mine from Page Computers, after seeing canislupy vouch for them here (I'd never heardof them). It came quick (ordered on Wednesday got here Friday, even though they said 1-2 days to process the order and 3-5 days shipping) and they seem legit and rational. (They called my house to verify my shipping address, but i was at work, so they called my cell)

I just unpacked mine (P9615A) after ordering from HP Small Business also. I could hardly wait to get this bad boy hooked up after reading the posts here. When I fired it up for the first time using DVI, I had a 2" wide strip of black pixels running from right to left across the middle of the entire screen....on every screen, including boot-up, shut down and bios.

WTF?!!

Hooked it up using VGA...same thing. Ran Dead Pixel Tester program, and the strip shows up as dead pixels. A 2" strip of dead pixels? Is that possible?

The thing is...the picture above and below this dead strip is absolutely beautiful. I even tried Desert Combat for a few minuites just to get a look at it, and it looked awesome...except for the black strip.

I ran resolutions at 1920x1200 and 1600x1200, both looked equally great. Auto adjust feature worked well in VGA mode, but did not allow function in DVI mode.

Of course calls to HP tecnical support after hours on a Friday night promptly routed the calls thru Bombay, India where I was able to speak to someone I couldn't understand after being on hold for 20 minutes. After doing my best to explain the issue, she said, "I can offer you a new monitor, but it might be a refurb." Excuse me, but I don't think so. So now I'm stuck with a striped monitor thru the weekend till I can get hold of the sales office on Monday.

Any ideas out there on what causes the strip to appear? Solutions?

Setup:
Windows XP Pro
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 (latest drivers)
1 gig Corsair PC4000 TwinX Ram

Monitor: P9615A
Monitor manuf. April 2004

Bad QC or damaged in shipping. I would not replace/repair under warranty/tech support. Since you just got this, it should fall under 30 day exchange for new one, i.e. wait until Monday to call sales.

Sorry to hear you got a bad one, but I wouldn't give up on it. Its a beuatiful monitor.

Bravo36 said:
I just unpacked mine (P9615A) after ordering from HP Small Business also. I could hardly wait to get this bad boy hooked up after reading the posts here. When I fired it up for the first time using DVI, I had a 2" wide strip of black pixels running from right to left across the middle of the entire screen....on every screen, including boot-up, shut down and bios.

That is bizarre. Maybe it was damaged in shipping or something as it should not have passed QA. Strips of dead pixels were quite common on passive LCDs but this usually meant the panel was discarded, active-matrix LCDs don't have this problem. It may not be the panel itself but rather I would suspect something else, either the controller circuitry or some other problem. You say the strip occurs in all colours, red, green and blue? Posting a picture would help.

mine also had a ton of stuck pixel right in the middle ( I am talking around 80)
They arent so bad, only really noticeable on black screen but still.

I am gonna get the philips display with the same panel

Tomji said:
mine also had a ton of stuck pixel right in the middle ( I am talking around 80)
They arent so bad, only really noticeable on black screen but still.

I am gonna get the philips display with the same panel

Just make sure you do as much research on that Philips display as you have on the HP. I would hate something similar to happen to you as well.

The HP f2304 uses the same panel as the L2335 but has speakers and a little different design. I am not sure which Philips or LG model would be the equivalent.

Cheers,

Ian

I acctually was fully aware of the 16ms-25ms issue. My distribution even changed the spec sheet manually to 16ms when I called. (been confiremed to them by HP, as told)

So hopefully returning it wont be so hard since I have the emails a proof. I just cannot be sure it is in fact a 25ms panel. But I believe the 16ms LG panels werent in series in march so that might help me.

Will this display accept a HD output from an X-Box? If so, will it be stretched or have bars or is the aspect ratio of the display a true widescreen ratio?

Thanks.

From the user manual:
The monitor is compatible with NTSC, PAL, and SECAM video standards. Additionally, the component video connectors are capable of supporting the 720-line progressive (720p) and 1080-line interlaced (1080i) High Definition Video modes when connected to an external HD video decoder.
The XBOX supports High Definition (using the HD adapter), and supports both 720p and 1080i. Also, the XBOX can be configured for widescreen displays.

So, even though I don't actually have the monitor, I think we can assume that it will work nicely.

.leo

If you run widescreen, you get to see more correct? As in this could possibly give you an advantage in an online game like quake, UT, counter-strike, because you can see more picture?

Lava Lamp Freak said:
Will this display accept a HD output from an X-Box? If so, will it be stretched or have bars or is the aspect ratio of the display a true widescreen ratio?

Thanks.

I have my Xbox connected via the HD adapter..

Looks awesome.. the ratio will depend on the game and what they support..

But all games will have the correct aspect ratio..since Xbox supports 16X9 displays native.

So I never really did the math before purchasing, but this screen is actually 16:10. I haven't hooked up my xbox yet, or used any 16:9 resolutions.. if you run it "fit to screen" is the stretching noticable, or is it close enough not to matter?

I've been playing RedOrchestra in 1280x768 and loving it. But I can't wait till I get a card that can do 1920x1200, since I do see the scaling with objects in the distance (they tend to 'shimmer' when they move since the pixels aren't one-to-one), but that's really only noticeable when I'm camping ;)

You can probably do that one to one option and keep it at the correct aspect ratio.

Karmakaze said:
So I never really did the math before purchasing, but this screen is actually 16:10. I haven't hooked up my xbox yet, or used any 16:9 resolutions.. if you run it "fit to screen" is the stretching noticable, or is it close enough not to matter?

I've been playing RedOrchestra in 1280x768 and loving it. But I can't wait till I get a card that can do 1920x1200, since I do see the scaling with objects in the distance (they tend to 'shimmer' when they move since the pixels aren't one-to-one), but that's really only noticeable when I'm camping ;)

1280x768 is the correct ratio, but since 1280/1920 = 0.666 and the pixels don't line up (every 2 video card pixels take 3 display pixels, so every 1 video card pixel takes 1.5 display pixels, and since the display can't show 'half a pixel' it has to choose to either pick the pixel to the left or right.. when you have buildings far off in the distance the windows, for example, might only be a couple pixels wide, so you can see the 'jump' from the card choosing the left or right pixel if you're sitting there camping a position with your rifle (Red Orchestra is a slow paced mod)).

What I'd really like to run at for now is 960x600 which would mean that every video card pixel gets mapped perfectly to 4 display pixels. But I don't see that as an option, and if I hardcode it into my unreal .ini it just chooses the next largest one (1024x768).

Maybe I can use PowerStrip to 'fake' a 960x600 resolution.

I also haven't installed any of the software for the display, is any of it worth it other than the pivot (which seems ecessive to say the least :) )

What video card are you driving the L2335 with? Is it possible to run all-digital DVI-I at 1920 x 1200?

From the specs I have seen you have to run DVI-D with the 24-pin dual channel to get the video bandwidth required to produce 1920 x 1200 at 60fps.

I thought that DVI-I maxed out at 1600 x 1200 in 4:3.

Is anyone out there running FarCry at 1920 x 1200 on an L2335 with an ATI X800 on a PCI Express graphics port, all-digitally through DVI at 60fps?

Check out post #1 of this thread. canislupy was running FarCry at 1920X1200.

dynamis said:
What video card are you driving the L2335 with? Is it possible to run all-digital DVI-I at 1920 x 1200?

From the specs I have seen you have to run DVI-D with the 24-pin dual channel to get the video bandwidth required to produce 1920 x 1200 at 60fps.

I thought that DVI-I maxed out at 1600 x 1200 in 4:3.

Is anyone out there running FarCry at 1920 x 1200 on an L2335 with an ATI X800 on a PCI Express graphics port, all-digitally through DVI at 60fps?

Taken directly from that very informative document, "DVI is the first digital standard specifically created for Transition Minimized Differential Signaling,
It supports a dual-link mode, which allows digital displays to reach resolutions up to 2048 X 1536 (QXGA) and beyond."

However, very few devices if any are dual-link. Something to watch for?

The single link DVI supports up to 1920 x 1080 (HDTV) at 60 Hz.

The L2335 comes with a little piece of paper that has a techno-blurb about 1920x1200 and DVI and "blanking resolution", basically page a rehash of the table on PDF page 34 of this:

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00090817/c00090817.pdf

And it says something about your card having to support this enhanced blnaking method to run in mode 25, blah blah.

Anyways, I'm connected to a 9500 Pro and my desktop is 1920x1200 no problem, I tried running unreal at 1920x1200 and it froze, havent really investigated why (I might have had AA on, and the ATI drivers explictly say max resolution for AA is 1600x1200).

Well guys I am up and running with this awesome monitor! This thing owns! What is screen blanking? Sometime when I open a video file in media player the screen sort of flashes for a second or two.

When you run any LCD using the DVI input it will knock your refresh rate down to 60Hz. How are the games looking with the DVI input guys? I haven't tried it on mine yet.

UT2004 looks terrific.

ioman said:
When you run any LCD using the DVI input it will knock your refresh rate down to 60Hz. How are the games looking with the DVI input guys? I haven't tried it on mine yet.

Well I do not frequent these forums much but this topic brought me in. I just ordered one of these monitors and will try to add some input on this as soon as it gets here. :D

WTF?!!

Hooked it up using VGA...same thing. Ran Dead Pixel Tester program, and the strip shows up as dead pixels. A 2" strip of dead pixels? Is that possible?

The thing is...the picture above and below this dead strip is absolutely beautiful. I even tried Desert Combat for a few minuites just to get a look at it, and it looked awesome...except for the black strip.

I ran resolutions at 1920x1200 and 1600x1200, both looked equally great. Auto adjust feature worked well in VGA mode, but did not allow function in DVI mode.

Of course calls to HP tecnical support after hours on a Friday night promptly routed the calls thru Bombay, India where I was able to speak to someone I couldn't understand after being on hold for 20 minutes. After doing my best to explain the issue, she said, "I can offer you a new monitor, but it might be a refurb." Excuse me, but I don't think so. So now I'm stuck with a striped monitor thru the weekend till I can get hold of the sales office on Monday.

Any ideas out there on what causes the strip to appear? Solutions?

Setup:
Windows XP Pro
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 (latest drivers)
1 gig Corsair PC4000 Pro TwinX DDR

Monitor: P9615A
Monitor manuf. April 2004

UPDATE: Just rec'd my second monitor from HP today thanks to an outstanding CSR in Colo. Springs. Hooked it up, and...same exact thing. Now I can see that the 2" wide strip is not dead pixels because it is semi-transparent. On very white or light places, I can barely see beyond the black.

Spent 2 hrs. on the phone w/ Tier 2 HP Tech Support tonight, and they determined that I rec'd another bad monitor, so another one is on the way. Sheesh!

Anyone have any suggestions?

I just ordered a HD component cable and had it shipped next day air so tomorrow I will try HDTV. :p

I desperately wish I had money. I can't even come close to affording the 2001FP, let alone this thing.

Neither can I but I am making good payments on my CC every month. :D

cappy said:
I desperately wish I had money. I can't even come close to affording the 2001FP, let alone this thing.

Back