HP 24" W2408H (refurbished) $200 shipped

I've been seeing this monitor for sale everywhere. How would this compare to a Dell E248WP besides the fact it has HDMI?

I just got a E248WP and have 2 weeks to return it and decide if I like it.

It's an HP w2408h, refurbished.

90 day warranty through Buy.com ... max you can get is a 1 year warranty from SquareTrade.com.

Risky, IMHO.

It's this monitor so don't be scared about the "Famous Maker" thing.

So why does it have a wildly different model number, under manufacturer it says "FAMOUS MAKER", and in the title it says "comparable to the HP model w2408h"?

Also, on the picture it doesn't have the HP logo on the bezel.

So why does it have a wildly different model number, under manufacturer it says "FAMOUS MAKER", and in the title it says "comparable to the HP model w2408h"?

Buy.com's done this in the past, and all the people that ordered the Famous Maker item received the "Comparable to" monitor listed.

All they do is cover up the brand name with tape ... or something like that. Forget the exact details.

Still, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. Buy.com's customer support has been horribad in the past and their shipping times have been inconsistent as well ... nty.

HP rebrands this monitor series and packaging for a lower price point in different markets.

Buy.com's done this in the past, and all the people that ordered the Famous Maker item received the "Comparable to" monitor listed.

All they do is cover up the brand name with tape ... or something like that. Forget the exact details.

I see.

Just seems kind of shady to me.

Buy.com has no customer service. They have customers, but no service.

What he said.

It took Buy.com almost a week to respond to my inquiry about a tracking number. Oh, and this was one week after I originally ordered the item, which was a two pack of SD cards.

ETA will be appoximately 4 weeks after the date the order was placed. Sigh...

I've had good luck with buy.com. For those interested, the HP w2408h is a TN panel. Can't expect much more for the price though. The bezel and stand looks nice.

crap
I would be in for 1 if the wife wouldn't kill me if I did.

Damn this is tempting...
I'm sure I could sell my dell 207wfp(?) for ~$140 and make this very cheap...
Of course I just spent ~$1100 on PC parts so that might not be the bessst idea.

How long will this deal be up for?

I have the 22" model of this monitor (hp2207). I really like it and the picture is absolutely gorgeous. However, it is a tn panel and to some that is a negative. The bezel is a piano gloss finish and from an aesthetic standpoint, the monitor is attractive.

For $200 though, this is a smoking deal. The stand for this thing is incredible and has a height and tilt adjustment. I'm considering this for a dual monitor setup with my existing 22". How cool would that be!

Thanks Op

We have these monitors at work, and they're pretty nice. The screen is really glossy and so is the bezel, so watch out for glare. I'd grab one for the house, but being that it's a refurb, and it's on buy.com is just too risky for me though.

Anyone know of a good digital tuner that could turn this into a sweet TV deal? I'm looking for one for the bedroom and this would work perfectly.

Also, the ad says it has HDMI, but I couldn't find it in the pictures. It might be on the side or something where you can't see it very well.

Anyone know of a good digital tuner that could turn this into a sweet TV deal? I'm looking for one for the bedroom and this would work perfectly.

Also, the ad says it has HDMI, but I couldn't find it in the pictures. It might be on the side or something where you can't see it very well.

There's a picture of the back/bottom with the port clearly labeled. It has /only/ HDMI and d-sub (VGA), though, no DVI, so connection to most PCs will require a HDMI to DVI cable.

For those scared off by Buy.com and the questionable manufacture thing, there's a 24" Acer at Office Depot for $250 shipped (free overnight shipping). You can get it down to around $225 shipped with coupon codes, but you have to try a few because most Office Depot coupons are "excluding technology". Also, chances are there will be tax on it, but the plus is that even if you have to order online (most local stores don't have it in stock) you can return locally if there is a problem with it.

It's also a TN, but in this price range the only MVA I'm aware of is the Soyo I'm using, and it tends to be closer to $300... and switched to TN not long ago as well. I don't know if the Acer has a glossy screen or not -- it doesn't look like it from the pictures, but I'm not sure.

Still, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. Buy.com's customer support has been horribad in the past and their shipping times have been inconsistent as well ... nty.

Totally agree.

Though I do have one positive outlook on their rebates. Several months back when they had the Trust wireless laser mouse going for $10 shipped and $0 if you use the rebate, I actually got my rebate. I wasn't planning on it, but somehow got it. :)

I say Buy.com is good for low/medium purchases (~$150 or less). Anything higher is getting risk, especially a 'refurbished' item.

I always play the risk game and it's only 200 bucks...............if I wasn't using SLI i would snag it.

I always play the risk game and it's only 200 bucks...............if I wasn't using SLI i would snag it.
what does SLI have to do with anything?

sli does support multimonitors now, you do know this right?

what does SLI have to do with anything?

sli does support multimonitors now, you do know this right?

hhaha no I does not. It didn't last time I sli'ed my 7600gt's but that was a few years ago.

Bah, I just bought this monitor, got it for $281 after the live cashback. I could have saved $81. Of course I got the full warranty from hp as it was from hp.com. Definitely a good monitor and at $200 that is a smoking hot deal, so long as the monitor doesn't quit on you after three months, and there aren't any physical defects on it that some refurbs tend to come with. If it were me I'd definitely get on this deal.

I had to bite on this one, i wanted to get into the 24" game for a while now. Currently have a TN 22" Samsung which im happy with so the "TN" thing doesn't scare me much. I will report back here when i get my monitor. I got the square trade 1yr warranty as well with 25% off.... so not a bad deal. Lets see what my GTX260 can do with this baby!!!

Ugh I hate buy.com but had to pull the trigger on this one. Rotating screen is a nice feature and most places still sell this at $400+.

Anyone know if this thing tilts down further than most monitors? Maybe I won't have to buy an LCD Arm.

I was looking into a 24 or 30 H-IPS but with this thing at $200 it's like I'm not even buying a monitor and it'll give me a chance to be satisfied for a while and see how the LCD market changes in the next couple months.

I HATE buy.com. They are absolute slimeballs. I have had to punch myself in the face twice out of three orders with them. And one of the orders went so afoul I had to send my credit card company after them for fraud.

We won of course. My bank's dad can beat up Buy.com's dad .... :D

I have a fourth order of some remote controls that have supposedly shipped. I gotta quit ordering crap from them. Sometimes their prices are such good bait, but I've only ever actually gotten one thing out of the four that I've ordered from them so far, and they SUCK on the phone. They are absolute SLIME. I'm sorry.

For $67 more GET THIS!

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...95&cs=04&c=us&l=en&dgc=BF&cid=7421&lid=197378

Fantastic monitor for a TN panel, and it's not even a refurb. (with respect to OP.)

The only problem with buying the Dell instead is that you're paying 30% extra to lose HDMI and the rotating stand.

You do get the warranty but everyone always hopes their refurb is a solid one :)

As I've already pointed out, there's a 24" Acer at Office Depot (TN) for $250 shipped over-night (or bring a print out and price-match in store if your local store has them). DVI (with HDCP -- buy a HDMI to DVI cable and you're good if HDMI is the selling point for you) and VGA in. 3 year warranty, rather than 90 days, and you can return it to your local Office Depot if you determine you hate it, rather than having to ship it anywhere. I'm seriously considering one, myself.

If you look around for coupon codes (have to be careful, as most exclude technology items) you can get it for ~$225 + tax shipped, possibly less.

It's $200 bucks folks... and what's stopping anyone from contacting HP even if it does die in a year? I certainly would, couldn't hurt.

Went and did a little more research... seems like in the top 5 of 24" TN panels you can buy at any price. If it was $50 off the egg, I could see the concern. Sure there's a small gamble, there is with anything you buy, but you get 90 days to make sure it seems ok.
To get in the 24" game, and after a little research, I'm upgrading this post to [H]ot. Here's the egg reviews, keep in mind these were written by folks who are satisfied after paying $440.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16824176090

No offense to the Acer folks, but I'd take a HP refurb over a new Acer any day when it comes to a 24" monitor. The build quality in HP shows. height, tilt, pivot, etc.

It's $200 bucks folks... and what's stopping anyone from contacting HP even if it does die in a year? I certainly would, couldn't hurt.

Went and did a little more research... seems like in the top 5 of 24" TN panels you can buy at any price. If it was $50 off the egg, I could see the concern. Sure there's a small gamble, there is with anything you buy, but you get 90 days to make sure it seems ok.
To get in the 24" game, and after a little research, I'm upgrading this post to [H]ot. Here's the egg reviews, keep in mind these were written by folks who are satisfied after paying $440.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16824176090

No offense to the Acer folks, but I'd take a HP refurb over a new Acer any day when it comes to a 24" monitor. The build quality in HP shows. height, tilt, pivot, etc.

I agree with you there. The 22" Acer I purchased was very disappointing. But it's possible that their 24" has a different manufacturer.

There's a picture of the back/bottom with the port clearly labeled. It has /only/ HDMI and d-sub (VGA), though, no DVI, so connection to most PCs will require a HDMI to DVI cable.

I see that picture now. If you take a peek at the 4th picture you'll see what I'm talking about. Must be the same monitor with DVI instead of HDMI. The 5th picutre shows HDMI but no DVI...

refurb roulette -- which one will you get! :)

I got mine delivered by fedex yesturday, 2 days earlier than expected. Monitor looks really good and does have an hdmi port. No dead pixels and excellent quality picture. $220 shipped with 1yr additional warranty from squaretrade. This is the best purchse i've made in a while. My GTX260 really shines at this resolution. Thanks for posting this deal!

The deals back on folks but it's now 215 with no rebate.

I got my two delivered last night. one has two stuck pixels, one red in the bottom left, and one blue in the mid right, and the other is perfect. Both bezels, stands, and screens are flawless. I like my Soyo 8bit MPVA better, these HP rebrands are 6 bit panesls - but these have very nice build quality (much better than the SOYO) These would be excellent paired to a xbox 360, ps3, or blu-ray player. They have 1:1 hardware scaling, HDMI, and HDCP. Mine do not have DVI - but a simple convertor (buy from monoprice) works fine. I had a couple DVI to HDMI cables I'd purchased previously that work great. Contrast is good, colors are vivid - possibly too vivid, one of them has slight backlight bleeding (of course the one with no stuck pixels :( )

Overall well worth $200 bucks!

$215 shipped...
I might just have to order one o_O

I like my Soyo 8bit MPVA better, these HP rebrands are 6 bit panesls - but these have very nice build quality (much better than the SOYO)

What is the difference between 6 and 8 bit? Will it work fine for a PC gaming monitor?

6 bit has worse viewing angles and less faithful color reproduction, it only has something like 256,000 colors, but uses dithering to supposedly make it look like much more. 8 bit has 16.7 million colors possible. Some people notice it much more than others.

six bit is fine for gaming - but once you go 8 bit it's hard to go back to 6 bit.

8 bit is better for photo or video manipulation because colors are more true to life.

Here's an excert from an online article that explains in detail...

Now color depth was previous referred to by the total number of colors that the screen can render, but when referring to LCD panels the number of levels that each color can render is used instead. This can make things difficult to understand, but to demonstrate, we will look at the mathematics of it. For example, 24-bit or true color is comprised of three colors each with 8-bits of color. Mathematically, this is represented as:

2^8 x 2^8 x 2^8 = 256 x 256 x 256 = 16,777,216
High-speed LCD monitors typically reduce the number of bits for each color to 6 instead of the standard 8. This 6-bit color will generate far fewer colors than 8-bit as we see when we do the math:

2^6 x 2^6 x 2^6 = 64 x 64 x 64 = 262,144
This is far fewer than the true color display such that it would be noticeable to the human eye. To get around this problem, the manufacturers employ a technique referred to as dithering. This is an effect where nearby pixels use slightly varying shades or color that trick the human eye into perceiving the desired color even though it isn't truly that color. A color newspaper photo is a good way to see this effect in practice. (In print the effect is called half-tones.) By using this technique, the manufacturers claim to achieve a color depth close to that of the true color displays.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDColor.htm

Got mine last night. It looks pretty good, no complaints, especially for $200. Fortunately, my graphics cards came with DVI-HDMI dongles, and the monitor came with an HDMI cable, so all was well.

Definitely worth $200. Second thing I've ordered from Buy.com, both shipped out right away, arrived just fine and have had no problems with them.

6 bit has worse viewing angles and less faithful color reproduction, it only has something like 256,000 colors, but uses dithering to supposedly make it look like much more. 8 bit has 16.7 million colors possible. Some people notice it much more than others.

six bit is fine for gaming - but once you go 8 bit it's hard to go back to 6 bit.

8 bit is better for photo or video manipulation because colors are more true to life.

I currently have an Acer 22" ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009138)
It is listed as 16.7 million colors, but is it truly an 8 bit? If it is a 6 bit I can deal with the colors, as I find this monitor pretty alright, and cannot afford mid range 24" atm.

Back