How Touch ID Can Be Fooled With Play-Doh

HardOCP News

[H] News
I get that the whole idea of this demonstration is to show the benefits of a 2000dpi sensor compared to the 500dpi sensor on today's phones. That said, I think it is hilarious how they make it seem like crooks are running around making exact molds of someone fingerprint to break into your phone. Besides, even the new sensor doesn't prevent crooks from chopping off your fingers (faster than molding and Play-Doh) or forcing you at gunpoint to unlock your device. Doesn't anyone watch movies anymore?

That's some mission impossible sh*t lol. I do see the point though.

In what situation will someone force you at gunpoint to unlock your phone?
Do you carry swiss bank account information on your cell phone or something?

Good for apple, now they have something to improve for their next iphone.

I'm going to have to test this out on my nexus 5x :p

It would probably work there too, and on several you could just take the print from the phone itself if you had access to it's file system.

Fingerprint scanners are just about making phones less of a target for stealing, since most people won't put a password or pin on their phone, but they will do the fingerprint scan if it's quick enough.

It's similar to how courts can get you to give up your fingerprint to unlock a phone but can't force you to give up a password.

I use my middle finger to unlock my tablet via GP reader. I wonder if the PD trick would work on the full sensor devices (you know the square ones that read the entire print at once...)

Back