How to overvolt a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Double the voltage
2) Use a jar to collect the magic smoke that comes out
3) Use a straw to blow the magic smoke back into the drive
4) ???
5) Profit!

A 7,200 RPM drive will not spin faster with higher voltage.

Buy a 10,000 RPM drive, before you hurt yourself.

It would throw the timing/reliability of the drive way off if voltage fluctuations messed with it that way...

For the most part vraa does ask reasonable questions. I would just let him go on this one..

If you get a physically larger hard drive that's also 7200 RPM, take the covers off so the platter is exposed. Then put your smaller hard drive on top (centered), turn them both on, and your hard drive's platter will be spinning at 14400 RPM.

Careful though, if you put it on upside down it will spin at 0 RPM.

If you get a physically larger hard drive that's also 7200 RPM, take the covers off so the platter is exposed. Then put your smaller hard drive on top (centered), turn them both on, and your hard drive's platter will be spinning at 14400 RPM.

Make sure you use some really strong crazy glue though. When it (inevitably) comes unstuck and flies across the room at 14400RPM, it's gonna hurt.

Nah, that won't work. The best you can do is put the whole hard drive on top of a record turntable, then run the turntable at the 78 RPM setting. That only gets you to 7278, but it's a start.

Its obvious that you take the drive apart and install a RC motor (that way you can tweak the extact speed / life span you want) i say about 15000 rpm will get you 5 mins use.

Ok, if you look at your sata power cable: you need to open that sucker up. Where there is orange, that is +3.3v, red is +5 and yellow is +12. You need to replace the orange with the red and split the yellow to also power where the red was. voila. over volting. I read about this on the internet that it was perfectly safe*. you can confirm by looking at this post: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036594326&postcount=19

*Not responsible for any damage caused if this frys your computer or drive.

Ok, if you look at your sata power cable: you need to open that sucker up. Where there is orange, that is +3.3v, red is +5 and yellow is +12. You need to replace the orange with the red and split the yellow to also power where the red was. voila. over volting. I read about this on the internet that it was perfectly safe*. you can confirm by looking at this post: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036594326&postcount=19

*Not responsible for any damage caused if this frys your computer or drive.

That made me lol. :D

OP is on the right track, hard drives come bottlenecked from the factory. I recommend swapping the supercharger pulley for a smaller ratio, maybe 3.8:1 (compared to the factory 3.4). You will need additional cooling

OP is on the right track, hard drives come bottlenecked from the factory. I recommend swapping the supercharger pulley for a smaller ratio, maybe 3.8:1 (compared to the factory 3.4). You will need additional cooling

A cold air intake should do the trick as long as you're moving quickly enough to pull in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back