How To Install the AMD Threadripper CPU

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
How To Install the AMD Threadripper CPU

We have been shot a lot of AMD Threadripper videos since its launch. During that time, we have shown various videos about install differences that surround Foxconn and Lotes TR4 sockets that are used on motherboards. We continually get asked about actual install of the CPU so we finally took the time to show you exactly how we do it.

Damn, am gunna buy this just for the torque wrench.

Seriously though, I suggest for uk buyers, if you purchase from scan, get their scanprotect insurance, its only a couple of quid more and will come in handy if you somehow damage the socket/pins.

It saved me once when I damaged pins on z170, and threadripper pins looks so much easier to damage.

I would like to build of TR system for my office build one of these days. I might hold off until the "tock" version of TR to see if clocks get any higher. I'm loving the fact that AMD is back in the game!

I would like to build of TR system for my office build one of these days. I might hold off until the "tock" version of TR to see if clocks get any higher. I'm loving the fact that AMD is back in the game!
Your waiting is not going to get you higher clocks.

Last edited:
Great video! I did check the others you made before installing my Threadripper and it made things a lot easier! Like you explained 'Do not be afraid to put a lot of force behind it where you need to'.

That's a nice video for folks who buy one of these CPUs.

There are some valuable tips there to know before you install the CPU.
It does look like the socket mechanics were well thought out though.

i can't believe we come so far that we have to use a supplied torque wrench to install a CPU.

and that the CPU comes in a little cartridge now.

Would you rather we go back to the Athlon XP days? The days when you exert so much force on the retention bracket, that your flat-head screwdriver might slip, and either punch a hole through the motherboard, or tear your flesh from your bone.

Me, I like this method way better.

i can't believe we come so far that we have to use a supplied torque wrench to install a CPU.

and that the CPU comes in a little cartridge now.

Would you rather we go back to the Athlon XP days? The days when you exert so much force on the retention bracket, that your flat-head screwdriver might slip, and either punch a hole through the motherboard, or tear your flesh from your bone.

Me, I like this method way better.
The TR4/SP3 socket is simply a well designed socket implementation. Built like a tank and done so in order to keep you from ever having to disturb those fragile 4,094 pins of angle hair.

Totally agree. I did my second one recently, and took a good long look at it before I closed it. No problems this time either, very little pressure to engage the threads. Now I have one lotes and one foxconn socket too. I also think this design is a marked improvement over years of Socket 115x and especially the large 2011-style implementations. LGA is a little boon to cpu makers and a giant curse to motherboard oems along with end users.

I think some people with the very hard to close sockets are not making sure both ends are securely slid in those little rails and that the carrier frame is snug. The asrock X399 manual has a few pages of diagrams emphasizing this.

As a side note, torque wrenches don't mean something needs a lot of force. A torque wrench simply prevents you from exceeding a specific amount of torque. (unless you are an idiot and keep applying more force after they trip: if you make something idiot-proof, a better idiot will come along) The TR wrench torque rating is actually quite low, I can trigger it with two fingers. The nicest wrenches have an entire range of configurable torque settings.

Last edited:
Where you are screwing the bolts back in and are reversing then waiting for the "click", that's called thread dropping. It's to ensure you have a proper line up of both threads. You'll notice it as you see the bolt rise up, then suddenly drop down when it "clicks". This method is particularly important when you are re-inserting a metal screw / bolt into plastic so you follow the original thread and not cut another one. Makes the plastic last a lot longer. I always take the time to thread drop into plastic no matter if it's computer, car or rc.

Where you are screwing the bolts back in and are reversing then waiting for the "click", that's called thread dropping. It's to ensure you have a proper line up of both threads. You'll notice it as you see the bolt rise up, then suddenly drop down when it "clicks". This method is particularly important when you are re-inserting a metal screw / bolt into plastic so you follow the original thread and not cut another one. Makes the plastic last a lot longer. I always take the time to thread drop into plastic no matter if it's computer, car or rc.
Great information! I have done that for decades out in the garage working on cars, but never heard it actually referred to by its name.

Back