How to do a reflow (performed on a DV 2000)

As far as the AC adapter, I did suspect that at first but the battery works and had actually powered up the laptop the day before - I can believe that an AC adapter would die, and so can a battery for that matter, but both at exactly the same time isn't likely so, it's just a dead piece of shit for all I care at the moment. :(

In my experience I've been very very fortunate where of the thousands upon thousands of machines I've worked on myself, maybe 4 or 5 were totally irreparable (meaning work was required that I wasn't going to do or didn't have the parts necessary for, basically brand new everything top to bottom) and it looks like this one is about to become #6 I think.

Oh well... I didn't do it so there ain't much I can do about it. I've done good work with this client for years now so, perhaps when I tell him to hit Google for "hp dv9000 won't turn on" and he does that search and starts to see the massive scope of issues with the entire dv series over the past 7 years or so, maybe he'll cut me some slack and not turn into the customer from Hell. :)

Wish me luck...

I was going to part out this hp laptop but I believe I am going to try the heat gun method and to try to resurect this 1 year old lap top of mine. g60-445dx

I had a DV2000 that had the video problem. I was able to get it fixed under the extended warranty HP provided though. My brothers DV2000 was out of warranty, but I baked the MB and it worked since then. I would have been better off I'm sure using a more local method of heating the video component, but I just didn't think of it at the time.

Just had my old laptops video die after my second bake (lasted about 3 months after each one), I'll try this method!

Just resurrected my Acer Aspire 5520G 's video card,nvidia 8600m GS. Thank you for this technique. PS: Typing from the resurrected machine as we speak ;)

Here is a update I followed the procedure that was outlined and now I have a fully functional system! Thanks!

Now that I have been using the laptop I notice how hot it really gets unless I get it off the the table a little. Poor design not enough air flow I am going to try to fix that.The back left hand side gets scorching hot if not raised up 1/4" or more.I've never seen that when sitting on a hard table surface before.:(

:mad: I am back to the same problem not booting up again I am going to try the heat gun again but I need a better cooling option than it has standard.:(

I tried this method again now no power at all a few times powered up fo a few seconds then no power again

Thanks for this thread OP. I will try this tomorrow at work and let you know.

After years of service, my HP dv8339US has bitten the dust the same way.

I plug an external LCD into it and the screen has green lines running through it and then it gives a BSOD saying the display driver failed to respond.

the laptop i baked last december just bit the dust again with the same video issue.

anyone know where to buy a copper shim i can use between the gpu and heatsink? i think it will help it last longer this time.

gonna give the heatgun method a try this time. so glad for this thread!

the laptop i baked last december just bit the dust again with the same video issue.

anyone know where to buy a copper shim i can use between the gpu and heatsink? i think it will help it last longer this time.

gonna give the heatgun method a try this time. so glad for this thread!

Ebay search for copper shims, you'll have a ton of options.

:mad: I am back to the same problem not booting up again I am going to try the heat gun again but I need a better cooling option than it has standard.:(

I'm curious to know if you managed to get it back working? Every now and then it just doesnt work out sadly :(.

If you are able to get it working again go straight to HP's website and get the latest BIOS update. Then get yourself a laptop cooler. Good luck!

No sadly I believe some how I killed it no power now at all every once in a while it will spin the fan and light all the leds then it shuts down again most of the time the only indication of power is at the power port. Oh well I tried! Maybe I over did the reheat when I did it the second time I held the heat longer maybe it was too much and something else died. BTW I did the bios update after the first time and reinstalled the OS before it died the second time. I believe that HP has the worst thermal control design I have ever seen.

I tried this recently and it only worked for about 3 days with minimal use.

resurrected my dads dv6768se with an 8400gs using this method yesterday. its the 2nd time its been fixed, first time was via the oven method. that lasted around 8 months. we'll see how long it lasts with the heatgun method! thanks op!

Out of curiosity I was wondering what is the average life expectency when reflowing the solder via the heat gun? I have one on my bench that just came in today and plan to use this method.

Out of curiosity I was wondering what is the average life expectency when reflowing the solder via the heat gun? I have one on my bench that just came in today and plan to use this method.

really depends imo, I had a person come back after a week and I have other two people who didnt come back.

Also had one who this worked for a few hours after each time.

Thanks. I was able to get it up and running after doing the reflow. I keep reading about the reflow often times does not fix it permanently and that the solder balls are made from leadfree solder which is the main cause of the problem. I guess there are a bunch of theories but reballing it with lead solder seems to be the most common thing that prevents recurrence from happening.

I've done this for about 15 laptops over an 8 month span, I've had 2 not work at all and 1 that came back after 2 weeks. Havent heard back from the rest so I'm guessing they still work :p. Sometimes it just doesnt work out. As a previous poster said, there are certain technical limitations that makes this fix a roll of the dice. I give my customers a 30 day warranty on the job and tell them upfront their chances. Some people are just attached to their laptops, others spent more than 1k on them and figure 200 bucks is worth it to them (dont know what you charge, that's our going rate.)

After I do a successful reflow, I run a Furmark stress test on the machine for about 5 hours straight, and pay careful attention to the temps. It's a very good program...if the job was not successfull or it's just beyond repair then the machine will often fail within 45 minutes of the test. I record the results and put it on the ticket for the customer to see. It's a good courtesy to pay to the customer that will give them some piece of mind and will also hopefully weed out the bad ones and save you future headaches :cool:

I've read through the thread, but I am wondering if this will fix a DV2845 that has no blue lights at all? Want to make sure before I do the heat gun method

subbed. I have a dead IBM T41 that had graphical issues before shutting down... Gonna use this guide to fix it. Thanks for the write up!

I've read through the thread, but I am wondering if this will fix a DV2845 that has no blue lights at all? Want to make sure before I do the heat gun method

It's possible it will fix it but doubtful. If the board is not getting any signs of power whatsoever then it could be gone for good.
Have you tried using a known working AC adapter for the computer? Or have you powered on another laptop using only that AC adapter? That sometimes is the problem.

subbed. I have a dead IBM T41 that had graphical issues before shutting down... Gonna use this guide to fix it. Thanks for the write up!

Good luck. Post back and let us know how it works! And you're welcome.

Because of this thread, I am now cruising eBay for models with these symptoms. Thanks!

Yea I fixed my new gateway laptop! thanks.
392878966.jpg

392878965.jpg

I'm starting to see issues with HP G60 with the AMD X2 and the nvidia 8200m.

Sigh...

Glad you guys are having continued success. Loco, you have waaaay too many HP laptops :p

Anyone tried using some flux underneath the GPU to get better solder joints? Also, does anyone have any experience with those copper ships they sell on ebay, to replace the thermal pad with? if you used thermal epoxy to secure that to the HSF assembly and used shin-etsu on the other, you might drop temps quite a bit.

Anyone tried using some flux underneath the GPU to get better solder joints? Also, does anyone have any experience with those copper ships they sell on ebay, to replace the thermal pad with? if you used thermal epoxy to secure that to the HSF assembly and used shin-etsu on the other, you might drop temps quite a bit.

my father flattened out a piece of copper pipe for a shim and it worked great. it dropped his normal usage temps by 5c and 100% load temps by 10c!

I have a DV9000 that suffers from the internal wifi adapter going out on it. Now i have an issue with it comming on where the lights above the keyboard (media controls) will light up then go off and the laptop shuts off.

I've tried different ram, with or without the hard drive.

Seen this issue before? I'm thinking the mobo just needs to be replaced but was just curious maybe there is something else.

done that trick several times on many a mainboard with the heat gun....fastest way to resolder something.............

Back