How to disable auto-detect during POST

tinate

Limp Gawd
I have an external media drive connected. During POST, Windows 7 seems to want to wake up that drive and check it (I'm not sure why). Is there a way to turn that off? It would decrease my boot time by like 5 seconds.

Windows 7 happens after POST.

Unfortuneately, I do not recall any way to disable WIndows 7's scan of all connected devices, at startup.

Windows 7 happens after POST.

Unfortuneately, I do not recall any way to disable WIndows 7's scan of all connected devices, at startup.

Do you know the behavior I'm talking about? It never did it on my old, XP system.

Do you know the behavior I'm talking about? It never did it on my old, XP system.

you have a drive that "detects" if the system is on? abnd if the system is on, the drive turns on?

There is no way, that I know of, to prevent Windows 7 from doing it's little check of all drives.

you have a drive that "detects" if the system is on? abnd if the system is on, the drive turns on?

There is no way, that I know of, to prevent Windows 7 from doing it's little check of all drives.

Not exactly. My system saying the following during POST: "Auto-detecting USB Mass Storage Device. . ." Then it turns on the drive.

If you don't want the drive to function or wake up when you turn on the computer, unplug the damned drive. It's being detected as a drive by the BIOS routines and it's working as it should; this has nothing to do with the installed OS.

Was that really so hard? :D

Not exactly. My system saying the following during POST: "Auto-detecting USB Mass Storage Device. . ." Then it turns on the drive.

That definitely a function of BIOS and not Windows 7. I doubt you used the same hardware as XP as that function is independent of the OS used.

If you don't want the drive to function or wake up when you turn on the computer, unplug the damned drive. It's being detected as a drive by the BIOS routines and it's working as it should; this has nothing to do with the installed OS.

Was that really so hard? :D

I was sure it was my motherboard with the same problem,so I contacted EVGA . Tech Support guy was well aware of it. "You can try a BIOS update,see if that helps", is what i was told to try. The weird thing is, I cant remember having this problem when I was running WinXP.

It's not a big deal to me. I just make sure my USB external HDD is unplugged before booting.

Problem fixed :D

My current motherboard does that, it wakes my firewire drives on post. I could not find a way to disable it in the BIOS. So I plugged them into a power strip which is has a on/off switch. I had on older motherboard that would do the same thing, wake my external drives on post, I was able to disable that feature in the BIOS on that board and I forgot what it was I disabled back then but it worked.

Autoplay is a Windows function, not a bios function. The issue the OP is talking about is related to his bios.

By the way OP, is "quick boot" enabled?

Yes, it is. I was hoping to find another solution, but I've just decided to disconnect it. I find it annoying and useless to wake up my printer and external drive on startup but whatever.

Can't you just select SKIP during POST? I have my USB drives set to skip and mine goes directly to my HDD. (Skip optical drives too).

Why don't you just do what I suggested and put your system to sleep as opposed to shutting it down?

It will use hardly any power and next time you power it up it will be ready to go in a handful of seconds.

I no longer fully power down any of my machines unless it's for maintenance.

If you check your bios you should be able to prevent this from happening. Make sure you don’t have USB set as one of the 3 primary boot devices and disable boot other device.

I have an external media drive connected. During POST, Windows 7 seems to want to wake up that drive and check it (I'm not sure why). Is there a way to turn that off? It would decrease my boot time by like 5 seconds.
During post the OS has absolutely zero to do with what is going on.

Back