How often do you replace power supply?

kwatch

Weaksauce
I have Seasonic SS-660XP2 ATX 12V / EPS 12V, 660W, 80 PLUS PLATINUM which is about 7 years old. It still runs strong without any issue. Should I replace it as preemptive measure?
Thanks.

Both my main and backup systems are still using 1000w PSUs from ~2007. Still working great.

When it fails or my power needs increase. My power needs have decreased from my i7 930/GTX 580 SLI days, so I'm sure my CoolerMaster V1000 (Seasonic built) will last a long time.

If one of my PSUs die, I just repair it and keep it going. I got PSUs that are 20+ years old that keep on trucking. If it's not capacitor issues, it's usually another passive component like an open resistor, shorted diode, etc.

Usually when the warranty runs out. Then I buy another high quality PSU with at least a 7 year warranty.

I will usually keep the same PSU until I do a full new build. So usually that is around 5 or 6 years. PSUs can last a long time (or really most computer parts if you maintain them well).

However, obviously if it dies or there is any problem, I will replace. Had a Corsair 1500W PSU that I thought was going to last forever (future-proof?) but it had an incompatibility with the 2080 Ti.

Never quite figured it out, but I didn't want to deal with it so I got a new PSU and threw out the Corsair (not going to sell it when I know it was bunk).

After that I just buy what I needed, 1500W was super overkill. I'm running 850W now on my new machine and it is more than fine.

not often. maybe 4 in 20 years. i know its only been 2 since '11, a TT that blew and my current silverstone.

When the warranty runs out. I always over provision for my needs so it's never been capacity issues. Generally the replacement has improvements that help make it worth it, like quieter operation or no more electrical noise when opening documents (looking at you, Seasonic 1050W).

PSUs can last through multiple PC builds for more than a decade, there is no need to preemptively replace them.

I wouldnt replace one until you needed more power or until it fails...

Never or when it dies. I replaced a Corsair 450 gold due to buzzing. Turns out it was the Corsair case making the noises.

Replacing one next week. In my case its a no name prebuilt one that is a little under powered. Hoping I guessed on planning ahead and new one will be a little future proof and last a bit.

Only if it goes bad or my power demands become higher than what it's capable of delivering reliably. I don't really do "preventative" swaps. Often times, even when i'm doing a completely new build, I will carry over my old PSU if it has the capacity, unless its 7+ years old.

I don't really replace mine. More so cycle them through my primary and back up rigs. I have a bit of an issue with buying power supplies when i see a sweet deal. As a result I have a shelf full of Seasonic, Superflower and EVGA units waiting for client builds (right now is a great time to be a builder, easyyy money).
I always go back to one of my two favorite beasts tho (love those custom cables) evga g2 1300 or Seasonic PX 850.
I almost bought another Superflower leadex 3 850w gold from neweggs shellshocker email yesterday but forgot about it and missed out. Itll be back around ;) They go on sale regularly and are really solid units if your looking. There's a 750w unit on sale today but its kind of weak as its the same price as the 850w was yesterday @ $109.
Something of note with these SF units. They now advertise "Dual Over Power Protection" on the product page lol. Someone was paying attention and wants to capitalize on the gigabyte debacle!

I only replace a power supply if the old one dies or I need more power. I usually buy a new power supply when building a new system because I keep the old system in use so there's no power supply to transfer over.

As long as the PSU is strong enough to power the system and has no reliability issues it stays in use. My server is using a 650w PSU I bought around 14 years ago and it's still going strong. I wouldn't be using it in a system with power requirements anywhere near the total power of the PSU as PSUs do degrade over time but the max power requirements for the system right now are probably well under half the PSUs rated max load.

I always have a spare power supply to keep around for troubleshooting. You can save a heap of chasing your tail during unknown troubleshooting times. Replaced mine after 10 years & it was still working fine but did it preemptively to not suffer with a dead power supply if it were to fail anytime after 10 years.

My trick is to get a power supply that is 3 times my max power usage and put a dedicated fan on it to keep the components at ambient temps where the components are rated to last the longest. Had my 1200w Corsair unit since 2013 and still going strong. It’s an AXi unit so I can real time monitor the voltages and it’s still dead on 8 years later.

I never have to replace any. I build a new rig or two every 5 years. I use all new components.

I've had a few conk out shortly after installation, but most PSUs I've had last 6-7 years -- and really that's been me simply replacing them due to lack of warranty or new requirements. Like a good wife/husband/partner, if you find a good one, hold on to it

Every 3 years or so I measure the voltages and ripple of the 5V and 12V rails. If they start to exceed the ATX ripple tolerance, I'll perform capacitor replacements. That said, I have several PC and Amiga power supplies that are over 30 years old and run perfect like the day they were new from the factory. Spending less than $20 on capacitors is far less than buying a new power supply.

IMHO, in most cases (e.g. not Gigabyte), as long as you feed it good clean power, it should be one of the longest lasting components you own. I do emphasize good clean power though. So an intervening UPS is recommended (almost any should suffice). Voltage fluctuations (sags) can really shorten the lifespan of a PSU.

If you invest in a good psu from the start you shouldn't need to replace it for at least 10 years if not longer.

The PS powering the computer I'm typing this on was purchased at least 10 years ago from eBay, no telling how old it actually is. Not even sure what it is but it's never given me any problems. I replace a PSU when it dies and not before.

I’ve got an Enermax 1000w semi modular supply that wa purchased around 2015. I intended to use it with my new build (5900x, X570 and 3080ti) but had a couple problems with the build (not related with the supply) . Replaced it with a fully modular EVGA 1300. Since everything else was new (case, MB, cooling, memory) I figured I might as well go with an upgraded supply. Very nice, especially the fully modular design. Not having the attached cables gave a much cleaner layout.

Same as most of the above. I on;y replace when I build a new computer and it no longer meets the criteria.

I am dreading possible ATX12VO adoption outside of the OEM markets. Would instantly obsolete a few PSUs I have lying around including the big one I just bought.

I am dreading possible ATX12VO adoption outside of the OEM markets. Would instantly obsolete a few PSUs I have lying around including the big one I just bought.

Adapters to make ATX power supplies work with 12VO wouldn't be terribly difficult. The only gotcha on 12VO is the +12vsb rail, which no ATX PSU will have. Ideally, this could be worked around by hanging a boost converter off the +5vsb rail, but 12vsb is rated for 1.5A, which is far too much to be pulling from +5vsb. To get around this, you can use an external wall wart, or an internally mounted 12v supply for the 12vsb rail.

That sounds like a fairly involved gotcha. I'm skeptical that it will ever catch on outside of OEM market though, as motherboard makers would have to dedicate a bunch of space for power distribution stages on their boards while simultaneous being on the hook for a surge in RMAs when buyers realize their current power supplies are in incompatible.

I only buy quality (Seasonic or a partner version) so I replace some time after the warranty has ended.
Of course monitoring for any issues, like stability or voltage rail dipping under load, but havent had any so far.
My last PSUs warranty was 7 yrs, I retired it after 8 yrs.
But its now being used for my 3090 build and has worked great for another year so far, no question of any problems.

Buy quality, it gives great peace of mind, less trouble and probably less cost given how long they last!

Back