how much is an original ps3 worth?

Mizugori

[H]ard|Gawd
Remember when PS3 came out and it was backward compatible for PS1 and PS2 games? But then recently Sony pulled that capability to bring the price of the PS3 down, because apparently it's expensive to include whatever extra hardware enables that backward compatibility?

Well, how much is a PS3 that has the backward compatibility worth?

Remember when PS3 came out and it was backward compatible for PS1 and PS2 games? But then recently Sony pulled that capability to bring the price of the PS3 down, because apparently it's expensive to include whatever extra hardware enables that backward compatibility?

Well, how much is a PS3 that has the backward compatibility worth?

I'm not sure. I guess whatever someone is willing to pay for it :D

maybe a few bucks over what a regular used PS3 is going for? I doubt you'd be finding many people that are lining up, willing to fork over a ton of cash for an original launch system. IMHO, it seems like a ticking time bomb between the YLOD and BRD failures.

I'd think that a system that's still on FW version 3.55 and below would be much more valuable since you can jailbreak them and run PSX and PS2 backups without the need for the backwards compatibility hardware.

I have one holding strong like a rock! knock on wood. I once went to a pawnshop and they had it for 1000.00 dollars. Dont know if that means anything or not. Maybe we should check out Ebay.

Bastards stole mine when they broke into my house back in October.

Insurance got me a new one but I lost what was great about my launch system.

I'm got a fat 60GB. The one with hardware backwards compatibility. I've been offered $400-600 it a few times. I don't know if its worth more now.

i would imagine it's all luck. maybe try ebay to find the people who are really interested in these things. the average person who just wants to buy a ps3 and doesn't have a library of older games wouldn't be interested in paying more than the cost of a used ps3.

someone who's a collector might be willing to shell out enough for you to get a brand new ps3 and a couple of games.

Well, I found this. Not sure on how legit it is... I've never heard of them and the site looks sketchy.

But they have Demo unit PS3's for sale for 300.00. According to them, they play both PS1 and PS2 games as well as PS3. I'd be really worried about buying a demo unit though. They spent most of their life on and enclosed in a small plastic box lol

honestly, if the system is in good shape and you still have the original box and manuals, I don't think you should have a hard time trying to get 300-400 (or possibly more) for it with the right buyer. They were a limited run and as time goes on, they're only going to get more rare. It's definitely the system that a collector would want.

Mine is priceless :). But seriously, it is the most reliable piece of electronics I have ever owned. It spent about 2-3 years folding (24/7), without any crashes, and it still works like a champ. Not bad for something that's almost 5 years old.

Depending on which version they are usually between 175 and 250. I've seen quite a few around the 200-225 range on ebay.

Those of you that have them, watch out for very graphic intensive games like BF3, Skyrim, or COD. Black Ops actually killed mine because it couldn't disperse the heat like a newer model PS3 can. Newer PS3's are a totally different processor architecture from the 1st gens, they generate a lot less heat now.

For a while they were going for quite a lot ($600+) but lately the price seems to have dropped quite a lot, probably because of the PS3 price drops. Last time I looked on ebay it didn't seem worth it to sell one unless you were worried about it dying soon.

Those of you that have them, watch out for very graphic intensive games like BF3, Skyrim, or COD. Black Ops actually killed mine because it couldn't disperse the heat like a newer model PS3 can. Newer PS3's are a totally different processor architecture from the 1st gens, they generate a lot less heat now.

You should probably put some new thermal paste on it... My wife started playing Alice; Madness returns a while back and I noticed some artifacts. I opened it up, and they use generic silicon thermal paste, that stuff was as dry as a stranded in the desert man's tongue.

Haven't had any artifacts since, playing Uncharted 3, Arkham City, Infamous 2, etc. etc.

You should probably put some new thermal paste on it... My wife started playing Alice; Madness returns a while back and I noticed some artifacts. I opened it up, and they use generic silicon thermal paste, that stuff was as dry as a stranded in the desert man's tongue.

Haven't had any artifacts since, playing Uncharted 3, Arkham City, Infamous 2, etc. etc.

hmmm, I might actually do that on my jailbroken PS3. It's one of the originals (and has a broken drive)... how difficult is it to remove the stock heatsyncs?

Not hard. The heatsink is held by four screws beneath the cpu and gpu.

If you have never opened a PS3 before, it isn't hard either. Just a lot of screws so look at a guide or note down where the screw came from.

My local gamestops sells them "refurbished" for $210 for the 20GB and $220 for the 60GB when they have stock. Usually 2-3 stores in 50 miles have at least one or the other in stock at a time.

I've thought about picking one up but the idea of $130 per repair from Sony that they will probably need at least once has turned me off on the idea.

I sold mine for $2000, that was on day 1 release though haha. I've never understood the importance of having a bc PS3 myself. I would just find a PS2 for that. Hell my launch day PS2 still works flawlessly.

Honestly I think people when nuts when they phased out the backwards compatibility but now they release a lot of games via the store I am not sure the demand is there.

Plus the newer slims (while having decidedly less features) is smaller/quieter/ect..

Honestly I think people when nuts when they phased out the backwards compatibility but now they release a lot of games via the store I am not sure the demand is there.

Plus the newer slims (while having decidedly less features) is smaller/quieter/ect..

Not a lot of PS2 games. I play the Manhunt and Suffering games a lot, and neither one of them are on the store, or a few of the other games that I love from the PS2 days. THat's what my PS3 is for.

Holy crap that's a great idea. BBL-AFK

How is it a new architecture? They just die-shrunk the Cell processor to 45nm. If they did an architecture change, I think that would have created tons of development headaches.

I stopped into a gamestop wanna-be store this weekend. They were seriously overpriced (used gamecube games for $40-50, and gamestop has them for $20...

They had a 60gb PS3 in the case for $299. So my guess is that 299 is on the high end...

probably not a whole lot, there are still going to be a lot of those floating around out there. I guess if you found the right person you might get a little bit extra but I dont think the price would be anything shocking.

the only ppl that are willing to pay more are usually people that want to mod it. other than that it wont sell as good as slims.

Just want to point out every PS3 can play PS1 games. It's the PS2 games where bc is an issue.

I got the last bc model they made, 80GB MGS4 bundle.

I've got one that just went YLOD on me (60G). Anybody wanna buy it? I can't believe the numbers that people are spouting off ($400-$600??) . It's not an antique, there's millions of them floating around. I loved mine because I could walk into any gamestop and browse through the ps2 game section. At roughly $5 per game, I'd usually walk out with a stack. I'm a fan of a lot of non-mainstream series, like Armored Core, so I can't expect to see them for sale on PSN.

As much as I'd love to have mine repaired, it's just a matter of time before it goes down again.

RIP, baby.

How is it a new architecture? They just die-shrunk the Cell processor to 45nm. If they did an architecture change, I think that would have created tons of development headaches.

You don't think shrinking the die from 90nm to 45nm could be classified as an architecture change?

If you're talking to a software engineer it's the same architecture regardless of the manufacturing process.

If you're talking to a mechanical engineer it's the same architecture until the size of the box shrinks.

If you're talking to the internet it will never be correct.

I have an 80 GB one (I think it's software BC, not hardware) that I got from a friend I traded with (I originally had an 80 GB non-BC model) and it's still going strong. Haven't done anything to it and no issues whatsoever. The only issue is that the fan can get kind of loud at times, but you can't expect much from those tiny 60mm or whatever fans they use.

So far it's played all PS2 games I've put in it (SingStar, MGS series, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.)

Not much these days. I don't think the market for them is very large, as people don't really care for the reverse compatibility when you can play MW3 for months on end.

I have an original and was in the market to get rid of it but was only getting offers of about $150 on every avenue. Figured I'd keep it.

Not a lot of PS2 games. I play the Manhunt and Suffering games a lot, and neither one of them are on the store, or a few of the other games that I love from the PS2 days. THat's what my PS3 is for.

Exactly. They are still pretty easily and cheaply availible, and are still sold new (and outsell the xbox 360 in some areas). People who have PS2 games would usually have one...or 3.

I've got one that just went YLOD on me (60G). Anybody wanna buy it? I can't believe the numbers that people are spouting off ($400-$600??) . It's not an antique, there's millions of them floating around. I loved mine because I could walk into any gamestop and browse through the ps2 game section. At roughly $5 per game, I'd usually walk out with a stack. I'm a fan of a lot of non-mainstream series, like Armored Core, so I can't expect to see them for sale on PSN.

As much as I'd love to have mine repaired, it's just a matter of time before it goes down again.

RIP, baby.

50 bucks

Ended up getting $50 for it afterall, from a cell-phone repair shop. They were selling the 80 gig backwards-compatible model for $279.99.

I sold mine for $2000, that was on day 1 release though haha. I've never understood the importance of having a bc PS3 myself. I would just find a PS2 for that. Hell my launch day PS2 still works flawlessly.

I have an original PS3 and I guess I am spoiled by the PS3 controller when playing PS2 games on it since I cannot stand the original PS2 controllers they are so clunky! for me alone the Fat PS3 is worth it for that alone.

Back