How many strean processors?

undeadxwarlock

Weaksauce
I am looking to build a new computer for myself. It will be used for mild gaming and be built on the cheap. I'm looking on newegg and trying to find a decent card below $75. I found an Asus 9600GSO that has 512mb ram and 256-bit memory interface listed here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121314

The only problem is I can't find out how many stream processors it has. I know some have 48 and some have 96. My question to you is how many does it have? If it has 96 Stream processing units and the 512mb 256-bit memory it would beat the pants off the 9600GT and is cheaper.

It has 48.
Its based off of the same core as the 9600gt where the old 96 shader model is based off of the 8800gt core.

well darn... that's a deal breaker. I'm trying to get the best performance I can while spending less than $100. I'm upgrading both my computer and my gf's computer aswell.

Best performance for under a 100 bucks is goign to be the ATi 4770.

EDIT: Damn CruisD64 beat me to it.

I'll probably look at some benchmarks of this card and will probably end up purchasing it. Thank you all for your help :)

The rest of the system will also be built on the cheap. I'm looking for decent gaming performance but keeping it as cheap as possible without sacrificing quality.

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103300

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128379

Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231207

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

I already have a HDD, dvd, and powersupply so I'm good on those. I'm about to start college ( the 26th ) and am building this because I don't have my own computer now. If you have any recommendations that'd be great but I think I'm doing decent so far.

I'm looking for decent gaming performance but keeping it as cheap as possible without sacrificing quality.

I already have a HDD, dvd, and powersupply so I'm good on those.

What PSU are you planning on using?

Pick up that 4850 before that deal expires; it's the fastest thing around your price range. The rest of the components you just linked to look fine.

If you're willing to spend a little bit more on RAM, I'd go with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231148. It has heat spreaders (e.g. for cooling) and is lower latency, two things I think are nice features to have. It's only a $12 difference, so maybe it's worth it to you :)

Good luck!

But the BFG Tech GS-550 550W for $45 would be better in every regard.

It looks like he was indicating that he already bought his PSU >__________>

Yes, the power supply I have already had for some time now. It will work fine I'm sure and has done great for me so far. I think I'll pick up the 4850 if the deal is still around when I get to build. I won't be getting any money until this friday.

To post an answer to the original question...

9600 GSOs with the 'odd' memory levels (384MB or 768MB) are the ones with the 96 stream processors, while the newer 'traditional' ones (256MB or 512MB) are the cards with only 48. Not sure why they're trying so hard to deceive people when it comes to cards nobody wants anymore (and didn't really want upon release either) but... yeah. That's how you tell.

The newer ones have a wider interface(256-bit vs 192-bit) and are G94 based, and have higher clocks that's about it.

The 96-SP 9600 GSOs are good deals and great for folding. The 48-SP versions are simply ripoffs, as 9600 GTs are usually the same price.

Nvidia's naming scheme is horrible.
So basically the 8800GTX has 5+ different names for more or less the same card(with die shrinks and other minor improvements)

Yet Nvidia decides to call a card with half the SPs of the original version the exact same name? Wat the heck is wrong with it?

OP, it's ~$10 more than you wanted to spend, but the 4850 for $86 is a godlike deal. Nothing else mentioned here will come close to its performance, save the 4770. Go for it :D

Okay, new question. My financial advisor ( girlfriend haha ) has allowed me to spend more than the original $80. We have decided to get something around the $130 price range. We are looking at the 9800GTX+ 1gb right now at $129.99 on tiger direct. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...asp?EdpNo=4607997&csid=ITD&body=WARRANTY#tabs

I was wondering if this is worth it?

EDIT: One of the conditions that allowed me to spend $130 on a graphics card is I have to buy her one too. I have no problem with this but her computer might. It only has a 400W Hipro power supply. I hope it's enough.

Okay, new question. My financial advisor ( girlfriend haha ) has allowed me to spend more than the original $80. We have decided to get something around the $130 price range. We are looking at the 9800GTX+ 1gb right now at $129.99 on tiger direct. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...asp?EdpNo=4607997&csid=ITD&body=WARRANTY#tabs

I was wondering if this is worth it?

EDIT: One of the conditions that allowed me to spend $130 on a graphics card is I have to buy her one too. I have no problem with this but her computer might. It only has a 400W Hipro power supply. I hope it's enough.

what kind of 400 watts? not likely. you might need to look at a 4670 instead for her

as for yours pony up another 10 dollars and get this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121288

Probably not. Hipro tends to make some really low quality PSUs that aren't fully capable of providing their rated power cleanly and reliably. What are the specs of her PC?

Her computer has a sempron 3400+ like mine except hers isn't OC'd, 2gb ram, some MSI motherboard and a 6600gt

Her computer has a sempron 3400+ like mine except hers isn't OC'd, 2gb ram, some MSI motherboard and a 6600gt

Hmmm, she'll be severely CPU limited no matter what card she gets. Meaning that she might not see any performance difference between the 6600GT and a HD4850. And is that 6600GT PCI-E or AGP?

it's PCI-E... thing is I'll be playing games like Crysis, COD4/5, Need for Speed Undercover, and BF2. The only game she currently plays is world of warcraft. She wants to be able to max it out and for her I don't know what card we could get that can do that. I know that I want the best I can get for the money but with that being all she plays she might not need that much power I'm thinking.

it's PCI-E... thing is I'll be playing games like Crysis, COD4/5, Need for Speed Undercover, and BF2. The only game she currently plays is world of warcraft. She wants to be able to max it out and for her I don't know what card we could get that can do that. I know that I want the best I can get for the money but with that being all she plays she might not need that much power I'm thinking.

Actually the recent WOW updates have made WOW very demanding in the CPU and RAM department as well as GPU. So an upgrade in GPU won't show anything unless the CPU has been upgraded as well. Which I'm guessing might be an entirely new rig for her at that point.

hm.. I never would have guessed that WOW was that demanding. It doesn't look that great lol. Anyway Thank you for your input. Do you know if WOW is multi-threaded? I was thinking maybe I could get her a cheap video card like a 9600gt or something and get her a X2 4400+ and maybe that would be a better upgrade than just a high powered video card.

hm.. I never would have guessed that WOW was that demanding. It doesn't look that great lol. Anyway Thank you for your input. Do you know if WOW is multi-threaded? I was thinking maybe I could get her a cheap video card like a 9600gt or something and get her a X2 4400+ and maybe that would be a better upgrade than just a high powered video card.

I think WOW is multi-threaded. Not too sure TBH. But the X2 4400+ (assuming you can find it or a higher clocked X2 for under $45 to $50) + 9600GT or HD4670/HD3850 will be enough as a stop-gap upgrade. You can find the HD3850 for only $60 w/o rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129129

I also recommend getting a new PSU while you're at it. Like I said earlier, most HiPros are of pretty low quality. Good cheap replacement:
$55 - Corsair 400CX 400W PSU

okay that sounds really good. question about the 4670. Would it be able to run wow at max graphics settings ( maybe without shadows ) while maintaining decent frame rates? It sounds like a good card and I read it's supposed to consume less power than a 3850.

okay that sounds really good. question about the 4670. Would it be able to run wow at max graphics settings ( maybe without shadows ) while maintaining decent frame rates? It sounds like a good card and I read it's supposed to consume less power than a 3850.

Depends on the CPU and res. But I've heard even GTX 260 cards having some slight trouble maxing out WOW at 1680x1050 and above.

processor will probably be the X2 4400+ just because it's cheap and the res will be 1280x1024 probably. She only has a 17" compaq CRT so it can't go that high. I can't believe WOW is able to bring down a GTX 260. I guess I'll just have to do the best I can. I can't blow a bunch of money on it I know that. She should be happy though because it'll be lots better than her current setup

processor will probably be the X2 4400+ just because it's cheap and the res will be 1280x1024 probably. She only has a 17" compaq CRT so it can't go that high. I can't believe WOW is able to bring down a GTX 260. I guess I'll just have to do the best I can. I can't blow a bunch of money on it I know that. She should be happy though because it'll be lots better than her current setup

Yah, still amazes me too that WOW can be so demanding. The X2 4400+, 9600GT/HD4670/HD3850 and new PSU should be a major step up from her current setup

Just want to make sure: your GF's current mobo/CPU is socket 939, correct?

Back