• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How Long Does It Take To Catch A Computer Virus?

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
5,955
Well, according to this article only about 8 seconds if you don’t implement and Anti-Virus and Firewall. It should be noted that the article sites the machine getting infected with Sasser, which probably also means no Service Packs were applied either.

This brings to mind an image of staking a goat in the middle of a field and waiting for the wolves to come (or the dinosaurs in the case of the movie Jurassic Park). So how long did it take for the wolves (viruses) to attack? Days? Hours? Minutes?
 
What a dumb test. SP2 has been available for around 2.5 years.
 
If you close all unneeded ports and turn off unneeded services and applications you are much less likely to be hit by anything. I haven't run a virus scanner or firewall, nor sat behind a router, for at least 90% of my XP usage. If you are careful about which applications you use and mindful of what your PC has sitting in the background, doing little more than using memory and opening ports that don't need to be, you can easily avoid any hassle from virii or other forms of malware.
 
This is a REALLY old article I saw ages and ages ago in a newspaper :confused: :eek: .

The link says it's from April 2005.
 
old article, sensationalized. But reading the HardOCP front page looks a little like the Digg front page these days... hmmmm....

Some stuff gets dugg that is from 2004. I guess people only start reading recently.
 
I think most of this is mostly bull. I only have the original Windows XP Pro EOM disk so I spend several minutes on the internet grabbing drivers for my sound card, graphics card, and chipsets, before I even start going through the long process of Windows Update... which requires a few update software installs, then some basic security updates with some restarts before even starting to download and install SP2. The system is wide open during this time. Not one time out of many (I have 6 computers) have I gotten hit with a virus.

I do run SP2 with the included firewall, but I have NO ANTI-VIRUS software running... never have and likely never will. It is worthless bloatware. I have only gotten one virus on one of my machines and that was from my 9 year old daughter installing desktop themes on her computer. One bumped in a virus or really nasty mallware (same thing now-a-days) that I could not remove (tried Windows Defender and Adaware SE). Now I have a cable modem and my system runs 24/7. It is never off. I download and install lots of demos and beta programs and even some files of message boards and P2P networks. I also get lots of e-mails.

The trick to keep you system clean... NEVER OPEN E-MAIL ATTACHMENTS. 99.99% of the virusses are spred through this or clicking on a malisous website and letting that site install stomething so you can veiw some... porn. This crap will more than likely come from a friend, co-worker, or family member because when they get infected the virus will try to spread to everyone on their e-mail list. I always tell my friends and family to never open attachments and if they are going to send me anything like a zip or exe file they had better call me first or I will just delete it.

It is also best to never get anything other than a basic data file like a jpeg, or mp3 from any safe site. About the only place I will grab an EXE file from is someplace like Download.com. The anti virus programs or not the answer for most. They make people feal safe and they tend to not follow simple rules like mine. The problem is the anti-virus programs are usually weeks behind the virus writers and you are more likely to be burned by trusting your AV programs and not just using common sense.

I also tell people to never install usefull free utilities they find on the intenet as they tend to include enough mallware to sink the average mainframe. Things like Weather Bugs and junk that put the temp outside in the system tray are really bad. I avoid all those Google and Yahoo bars. I don't want any of that junk. I tend to clean install my main system about every year, but that is mostly from hardware upgrades. I just re-installed Windows on my mainsistem today infact. The other systems do not get re-installed often unless I do a major hardware shuffle between the systems. My laptop almost gets as much use as my main system as it stays mostly in the living room and the kids use it or it wanders to a LAN party or to an out-of-town trip. It has been over 3 years sinse I baught that one and I have never even replaced the WindowsXP Home on it. It is up-to date on patches and such, but again runs nothing other than Windows Firewall to protect it.

My brother told me the same thing about a year or so ago that an unprotected system is comprimised in so many seconds, but I think he told me 6 seconds. I asked my brother to prove that one by setting up a box with nothing to protect it to see how long it takes to get compromised. He never would. I just dont see it happening. Now if you start wanding through search engine results and enter your e-mail into all those on-line contests or register to win your free iPod and start openning up all those SPAM e-mails that fly in and click on links and attachments in those e-mails than sure your system is going to get ripped apart, but I doubt an AV would save your system for very long.
 
I don't doubt that a vulnerable system without a firewall can be compromised in seconds. Look at these poor hacked saps (from my router log, last minute):

Firewall log:
Sat Feb 3 17:27:14 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 201.235.74.45
Sat Feb 3 17:27:14 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 58.182.202.234
Sat Feb 3 17:27:15 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 74.128.66.173
Sat Feb 3 17:27:21 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 74.128.66.173
Sat Feb 3 17:27:22 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 90.0.2.246
Sat Feb 3 17:27:30 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 83.240.25.73
Sat Feb 3 17:27:32 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 61.156.42.97
Sat Feb 3 17:27:34 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 203.161.98.140
Sat Feb 3 17:27:37 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 203.161.98.140
Sat Feb 3 17:27:39 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 65.95.152.80
Sat Feb 3 17:27:41 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 74.109.83.109
Sat Feb 3 17:27:43 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 203.161.98.140
Sat Feb 3 17:27:44 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 74.109.83.109
Sat Feb 3 17:27:45 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 74.112.5.137
Sat Feb 3 17:27:47 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 61.156.42.97
Sat Feb 3 17:27:52 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 61.156.42.97
Sat Feb 3 17:27:55 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 124.168.190.53
Sat Feb 3 17:27:55 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 70.23.128.198
Sat Feb 3 17:27:58 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 62.1.103.125
Sat Feb 3 17:27:59 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 58.182.202.234
Sat Feb 3 17:28:02 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 58.182.202.234
Sat Feb 3 17:28:03 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 76.80.37.99
Sat Feb 3 17:28:03 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 121.6.124.143
Sat Feb 3 17:28:04 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 124.168.190.53
Sat Feb 3 17:28:04 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 212.54.30.181
Sat Feb 3 17:28:06 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 121.6.124.143
Sat Feb 3 17:28:07 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 212.54.30.181
Sat Feb 3 17:28:12 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 121.6.124.143
Sat Feb 3 17:28:14 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 193.179.148.50
Sat Feb 3 17:28:16 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 193.179.148.50
Sat Feb 3 17:28:18 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 24.136.254.135
Sat Feb 3 17:28:21 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 87.206.117.213

Whose fault is it that they (sasser infected system owners) don't even use an update that has been available for 30 months? Oh well.
 
Todd:

I once put a default install XP box on a static IP in a data center, updated it with SP2 and all updates, running windows firewall, and left it running overnight. The next day it was saturating a 10mbit link with network scans and spam.

My home computer is SP1, no updates in years. Running a 4 year old version of Anti Virus corporate, no firewall. I use opera primarily, firefox when necessary. Thanks to NAT, not using IE and never opening loveletters, I've never been infected by anything.

Regarding your 9 yr old: Put her on a non-administrator account :).
 
I don't doubt that a vulnerable system without a firewall can be compromised in seconds. Look at these poor hacked saps (from my router log, last minute):


Whose fault is it that they (sasser infected system owners) don't even use an update that has been available for 30 months? Oh well.

Something that is interesting is the IP's hitting you multiple times- which sounds like multiple infected systems behind a NAT interface...
 
... or multiple infections each taking a turn.

Now that I think about it, in either case (multiple infections or multiple PC's) would be scanning different ranges of IP's, so it wouldn't be likely to have three hits one after the other, unless each log entry was from a different port being triggered, which would be inconvenient and indicate a logging level that was a little too high.

Those hits must be coming from a single instance on a single machine retrying or attempting other exploits.
 
Im not denying that a computer connected to the internet isnt vulerable, but...

reformed ex-hacker, Jacques Erasmus, demonstrated just how dangerous things have gotten these days. Basically they took a Windows XP computer and connected the poor little scamp to the Internet without providing it with a firewall or any anti-virus software.

It starts right out with a test that doesnt really tell us anything new. Man disables windows firewall, plugs it into the net, and has a virus within moments... Alright.

But there's more to it than this, because virus creators are not making the world a better place. When someone loses their work to a virus, it makes them angry, frustrated, and unhappy. This ripples on to the folks they come into contact with. One way to view this is that the sum total of unhappiness around the world increases. This is not a good thing.

This article is written more like a quick blog done on lunchbreak, I suppose my main problem with this, it doesnt really tell us anything new. It was written in 2007, but its telling us things as if it were 1995. In 2007, windows comes default with firewall on, and it doesnt mention anything about most of us who are using some sort of NAT router + firewall with DSL/Cable etc.
 
I don't doubt that a vulnerable system without a firewall can be compromised in seconds. Look at these poor hacked saps (from my router log, last minute):

Firewall log:
Sat Feb 3 17:27:14 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 201.235.74.45
Sat Feb 3 17:27:14 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 58.182.202.234
Sat Feb 3 17:27:15 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 74.128.66.173
Sat Feb 3 17:27:21 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 74.128.66.173
Sat Feb 3 17:27:22 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 90.0.2.246
Sat Feb 3 17:27:30 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 83.240.25.73
Sat Feb 3 17:27:32 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 61.156.42.97
Sat Feb 3 17:27:34 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 203.161.98.140
Sat Feb 3 17:27:37 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 203.161.98.140
Sat Feb 3 17:27:39 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 65.95.152.80
Sat Feb 3 17:27:41 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 74.109.83.109
Sat Feb 3 17:27:43 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 203.161.98.140
Sat Feb 3 17:27:44 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 74.109.83.109
Sat Feb 3 17:27:45 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 74.112.5.137
Sat Feb 3 17:27:47 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 61.156.42.97
Sat Feb 3 17:27:52 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 61.156.42.97
Sat Feb 3 17:27:55 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 124.168.190.53
Sat Feb 3 17:27:55 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 70.23.128.198
Sat Feb 3 17:27:58 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 62.1.103.125
Sat Feb 3 17:27:59 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 58.182.202.234
Sat Feb 3 17:28:02 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 58.182.202.234
Sat Feb 3 17:28:03 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 76.80.37.99
Sat Feb 3 17:28:03 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 121.6.124.143
Sat Feb 3 17:28:04 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 124.168.190.53
Sat Feb 3 17:28:04 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 212.54.30.181
Sat Feb 3 17:28:06 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 121.6.124.143
Sat Feb 3 17:28:07 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 212.54.30.181
Sat Feb 3 17:28:12 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 121.6.124.143
Sat Feb 3 17:28:14 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 193.179.148.50
Sat Feb 3 17:28:16 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 193.179.148.50
Sat Feb 3 17:28:18 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 24.136.254.135
Sat Feb 3 17:28:21 2007 1 Blocked by DoS protection 87.206.117.213

Whose fault is it that they (sasser infected system owners) don't even use an update that has been available for 30 months? Oh well.

Hey! One of those are mine! :D
 
Im not denying that a computer connected to the internet isnt vulerable, but...
<snip>

This article is written more like a quick blog done on lunchbreak, I suppose my main problem with this, it doesnt really tell us anything new. It was written in 2007, but its telling us things as if it were 1995. In 2007, windows comes default with firewall on, and it doesnt mention anything about most of us who are using some sort of NAT router + firewall with DSL/Cable etc.

Its sensationalized. I heard something today that pretty much sums up what the media does in cases like this:
"100% of all people that eat dry roasted peanuts will die."

That's a true fact. Everyone who eats dry roasted peanuts will die. Period. It may take another 100 years for them to die, but die they shall. It seems like every headline you see is this same kind of BS. This kind of absurd stuff makes it to front page news every day. Even (and especially) on Digg. Imagine if the media were honest... this article would have read like:
"Experiment: How long would it take to get robbed if you left your front door wide open with a giant neon sign in the front yard that read 'FREE SHIT - COME AND GET IT!'"

But then again, people LOVE stuff like this. They hate science. They hate having to use their brain. Thats why this above article and thousands more like it made it to the front page of Digg. Thats why the media keeps producing garbage like this - because people love being stupid and they love this stuff.

Sigh....

:)
 
Back
Top