How long does it take EK to release monoblocks?

Discussion in 'Water Cooling' started by VanGoghComplex, May 1, 2019.

1. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

I'm looking forward to an R7-3700X and an AsRock X570 Taichi as the upgrade from my 7700k.

How long after a mobo launch does EK usually launch their monoblock offerings?

2. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

I don't have time to look it up right now, but the way I would go about finding out is to browse through their list of announcements in their news section and compare their launch notices with the launch dates of the products they are launched for.

That said, are you sure you want to go monoblock? Everything I have read suggests they are more for show, and actually produce worse cooling and overclocking performance compared to regular CPU blocks due to the tolerance differences between the different components they cover meaning that they never get as good of a mount.

Personally when I upgrade to X570, I'm going to wind up getting a Heatkiller IV I think. The heatpipe based heatsinks built into modern high end motherboards actually do a very admirable job of cooling the chipset and VRM's, so there isn't much to be gained from aftermarket cooling on those.

At this point, this likely won't happen this year for me though. Or at least not until the end of the year. Been looking forward to 7nm AMD for some time, but I was unexpectedly forced to spend thousands of dollars on travel this summer, which will delay any upgrades, which sucks.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  3. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

Well, now that you mention it...

I originally went monoblock on my Core P5 because as it was an open chassis, there were no fans in that area of the system.

However, I've since installed an upper rad which probably does a fine job of pulling fresh air over the mobo heatsinks:

IMG_20190105_191004705.jpg

What do you think? Maybe I can skip the monoblock this time around?

4. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

I don't really have any personal experience with either monoblocks, or open cases. My comments above were based on my (quite extensive) reading on the subject from back when I built my first loop in 2016.

That said, I wonder how much you really need to worry about airflow in an open chassis. With a traditional case you worry about the hot air getting trapped inside, which is why airflow is so important, but with an open case this becomes much less of a concern.

I certainly wouldn't passively cool the CPU or GPU, but I suspect it is fine for the more minor sources of heat like chipset, VRM, m.2 disks, etc.