How long does a Macbook Pro refund take to process?

DJ Big T

[H]ard|Gawd
Return of $1199 MacBook Pro processed at 1:50PM April 2nd. Now its Friday and I still don't have my refund. How long is this supposed to take?!

Note: refund from other vendors has happened in 24-48 hours...

They are saying 5 business days. Since Apple retail is open on Saturdays, do they consider Saturdays a business day?

Last edited:
call your bank?

I did, they said they can't tell me anything until it posts to my account.

The only information I have on this is from Apple's website:

Credit card refunds will be sent to the card-issuing bank within five business days of receipt of the returned item. Please contact the card-issuing bank with questions about when the credit will be posted to your account.

When I call Apple they act totally clueless, and when I talk to the manager of the store, he was fairly helpful but couldn't provide any information on the return or its status.

2-10 business days, Weekends do not count. It is the financial institution that processes it, not Apple.

I have no experience with Apple's "speed" in business transactions -- but when they say 5 business days I would only count Mon-Friday 9am-5pm.

While apple stores might be open on Saturdays -- many of their outsourced partners, or other companies they rely on might not be open on weekends.

Since it said processed at 150 on the 2nd -- I would start counting the days from the 3rd on.

Which means the earliest you can (reasonably) expect anything to happen would be Monday morning. Topping that off there might be a lag time with your bank itself. For example, I get paid Wednesday - but it doesn't actually hit my bank till Wednesday around midnight.

Now if by Tuesday the 10th you don't hear anything I'd start looking for someone's ass to chew on.

I have no experience with Apple's "speed" in business transactions -- but when they say 5 business days I would only count Mon-Friday 9am-5pm.

While apple stores might be open on Saturdays -- many of their outsourced partners, or other companies they rely on might not be open on weekends.

Since it said processed at 150 on the 2nd -- I would start counting the days from the 3rd on.

Which means the earliest you can (reasonably) expect anything to happen would be Monday morning. Topping that off there might be a lag time with your bank itself. For example, I get paid Wednesday - but it doesn't actually hit my bank till Wednesday around midnight.

Now if by Tuesday the 10th you don't hear anything I'd start looking for someone's ass to chew on.

How do I vote for best answer? This one takes the cake. Why can't Apple answer my question in a professional manner? When I call them or talk to them in person they are no help at all.

2-10 business days, Weekends do not count. It is the financial institution that processes it, not Apple.

They say 3-5, you say 2-10. Microsoft refunds me in 24 hours. Maybe Apple's finance department has some work to do?

How do I vote for best answer? This one takes the cake. Why can't Apple answer my question in a professional manner? When I call them or talk to them in person they are no help at all.

They say 3-5, you say 2-10. Microsoft refunds me in 24 hours. Maybe Apple's finance department has some work to do?

It really depends on the financial institution. I have had refunds go through within a day and I have had them take 7+ business days (USPS is notable for this at least for me...). I usually give them 5 days before I start asking questions unless I have death with them before.

I return my iPad on Saturday I get the credit back to my cc by Friday the following week . So a week for me

Well it's Monday morning... still no refund. I'll let y'all know so hopefully next time I can just get a gift card and sell the gift card? I dunno.

Are you really this freaked out? Yes, big bad Apple is going to steal your money if you forget about a pending refund for a few days.

Relax, dude..

You'll have it back in a few days. Of all companies, apple isn't some fly-by-night organization that is going to steal your money.

Friday was not a business day for financial institutions.. (Good Friday).. so I'd expect tomorrow or wednesday.

I had a problem last fall with a very large refund that went "missing", and after three weeks of back-and-forth between Apple and my bank ("Ask your bank", "No, ask Apple"), I finally sent an email to Tim Cook asking if there was anything he could do.

I didn't get a direct reply from Mr. Cook, but within 24 hours I received an email from a gentleman in Apple Executive Customer Support who worked with me until the refund problem was remedied. He was the most courteous, patient, and helpful "support" person with whom I've ever dealt.

Might try it.

Turns out, my bank "lost" the refund in transit from Apple. Get all the transaction numbers from Apple, take them to your bank and raise as much (courteous) hell as you can.

Interesting. However, DJ may wanna wait a few more days before e-mailing CEOs.

Relax, dude..

You'll have it back in a few days. Of all companies, apple isn't some fly-by-night organization that is going to steal your money.

Friday was not a business day for financial institutions.. (Good Friday).. so I'd expect tomorrow or wednesday.

I wish I could. I wanted to buy something from newegg on sale and have some extra money on the bank. Lesson learned, I'm not buying a big ticket item from Apple again. Customer service is terrible.

I can never get a manager on the phone, even when I was trying to get a job there the manager was very rude to me over the phone, but curious over email. I guess they aren't very good at customer support, in fact, I've read some feedback saying Apple's customer support is about as bad as Best Buys. They are knowledgeable but if you have a problem with their product it's "your" fault.

I had a problem last fall with a very large refund that went "missing", and after three weeks of back-and-forth between Apple and my bank ("Ask your bank", "No, ask Apple"), I finally sent an email to Tim Cook asking if there was anything he could do.

I didn't get a direct reply from Mr. Cook, but within 24 hours I received an email from a gentleman in Apple Executive Customer Support who worked with me until the refund problem was remedied. He was the most courteous, patient, and helpful "support" person with whom I've ever dealt.

Might try it.

Turns out, my bank "lost" the refund in transit from Apple. Get all the transaction numbers from Apple, take them to your bank and raise as much (courteous) hell as you can.

I'll try this.

RE: Good Friday comment. I was told only banks are closed then. But even then the bank should have processed the refund by Thursday if it was 3 business days. The only thread I was able to dig up on this topic was on "macrumors.com" - where the customer got his refund in 2 business days. I just don't see why it takes so long. Microsoft also refunded my money in 2 business days, but it was for $120, not $1200.

I bet if you were missing a lot of money from your account, you'd probably be impatient too.

Bottom line, whether you agree with me or not, is that Apple products cost a lot to have fixed, Apple Care on Macbook laptops is $250? Ripoff. I can get a 2 year extended warranty on a laptop on newegg for $80. No way I should be paying so much for products whos screens break, dent easily, and then if there is any damage, Apple will not help you. Sorry I just don't buy the argument anymore that if you pay more for an Apple product you get a long lasting, higher quality product with better resale value. Not buying it for a second.

Then add the fact that if you call them or ask them a question, they give you the run around. Great.

/rant

Last edited:
Well that all depends if I made to purchase in the first place... :rolleyes:

What?

Bottom line is due to the customer experience, I will not be buying an OS X based PC... what does it have to do if YOU would buy something? I don't see your logic.

If you made to? Huh? Point being is that they should have a process so where you get your refund right away. Newegg, Microsoft, basically any other store it takes 2-3 business days. Why should people have to deal with Apple "losing" their refund?

Last edited:
From now on, you should build your electronics yourself from raw elements, and run only Linux. That way, you'll never have to wade into the stream of global finance again!

From now on, you should build your electronics yourself from raw elements, and run only Linux. That way, you'll never have to wade into the stream of global finance again!

The first part sounds hard, the next part I'm actually doing a linux project on a mATX board soon, so yes, I agree DIY > non DIY.

I bet if you were missing a lot of money from your account, you'd probably be impatient too.

I don't blame you for being impatient, but this is exactly why I never make large purchases out of my bank account.

I always use a credit card for large transactions. It affords me better protection and in some cases, an extended warranty on my purchase.

I don't blame you for being impatient, but this is exactly why I never make large purchases out of my bank account.

I always use a credit card for large transactions. It affords me better protection and in some cases, an extended warranty on my purchase.

I choose not to have a credit card with that sort of limit for a better credit score so that I don't overextend myself. I'm also a student in college and it would not be financially wise for me to be putting it on a credit card, even if I can pay it off right away I am not good with credit.

I don't have any problem saying that. There should be little difference if it was a credit or debit card, the vendor is going to take the same amount to refund the purchase.

I am simply curious why Apple cannot provide an email when the refund is being processed and how long it will take when processed. Every other vendor I've gotten a refund so far has done this, but Apple does not.

My best estimate is Wednesday. My main purpose of making this thread is to warn people who buy Apple products that if you are getting a rebate or refund from them, be prepared to not see that money for a good while (at least a week, maybe 2 weeks.)

My main purpose of making this thread is to warn people who buy Apple products that if you are getting a rebate or refund from them, be prepared to not see that money for a good while (at least a week, maybe 2 weeks.)

It seems to me, your main point was to complain about banks and banking practices, but lay the blame at Apple's feet.

You see, any retailer will post a return within 2-3 days. That post then takes anywhere from 2-5 days to post to your bank. These are business days btw.

How is it Apple's fault that your bank hasn't posted the return yet? It's not. You are just blaming them for something they have absolutely no control over.

It seems to me, your main point was to complain about banks and banking practices, but lay the blame at Apple's feet.

You see, any retailer will post a return within 2-3 days. That post then takes anywhere from 2-5 days to post to your bank. These are business days btw.

How is it Apple's fault that your bank hasn't posted the return yet? It's not. You are just blaming them for something they have absolutely no control over.

I don't entirely blame Apple, but I don't like the policy of not actually sending out an email when the refund is processed. They are the only vendor so far that hasn't done so... I think they should change that. I know all these times are in business days. I have been waiting patiently for many business days. This is part of the reason I try to not deal with Apple retail in the store, usually customer support over the phone is more helpful. I also think when I go to return something to Apple I shouldn't get an interview about why I'm returning something:

"Well why are you returning it?" Me: "My school uses only PCs, so I want to save money and use a PC laptop" Apple retail employee: "But they're the same, Mac and PC." At that point, I just stare at him... (apparently if you are a Mac user they assume you know nothing about computers?)

My bank hasn't been any more helpful. I guess in general it would be nice if the refund process is easier. If my bank is holding the funds, I'd like to at least know that.

Mainly what my complaint is that when you call Apple about something like this, and you ask "how long will it take?" ... none of the representatives other than the manager at the Apple store could answer that question.

Point being, if I call Apple, they should have a more precise idea of how long something like this takes. I would imagine I'm not the only customer of theirs where this is frustrating to, because I see this question on numerous other forums and websites. It's not uncommon - but apparently by saying the process is not efficient or communicated well, I am blaming them... well then yes I am.

"Well why are you returning it?" Me: "My school uses only PCs, so I want to save money and use a PC laptop" Apple retail employee: "But they're the same, Mac and PC."

LOL! Really? Does that employee not remember all the Hey I'm a mac; and i'm a pc commercial's?

Having recently returned a macbook pro for a mac air... it took three business days. I returned on a Saturday and had it on Wednesday. But i used a CC and not a debit card. Not sure if that matters...

LOL! Really? Does that employee not remember all the Hey I'm a mac; and i'm a pc commercial's?

Having recently returned a macbook pro for a mac air... it took three business days. I returned on a Saturday and had it on Wednesday. But i used a CC and not a debit card. Not sure if that matters...

Well I offerred to use my Pay Pal debit card which works exactly like a CC, and they said that once they use a card they can't cancel it and change which card they refund it to, I'm not sure I believe that, but I'm still patiently waiting.

Thanks for that, I thought maybe the delay in refund was due to it being more than $250.

I don't see your logic.

I'm not surprised. You made an uneducated large purchase and now want an instant refund. It does not work like that. You should have asked about their return policy while you were making the purchase or googled it real quick. At this point your debit card is being treated the same way as a credit card would be... your anger is misdirected. See below (or the link, your choice) :

Once we receive your item(s), a refund is initiated immediately. If you canceled a pickup item, and you were billed for the item, we initiate your refund immediately after you submit your cancel request.

The way your refund is processed depends on your original payment method:

Credit card refunds will be sent to the card-issuing bank within five business days of receipt of the returned item. Please contact the card-issuing bank with questions about when the credit will be posted to your account.

Apple Gift Card payments will be refunded in the form of a new Apple Gift Card within eight business days. Please allow up to five business days to receive your new Apple Gift Card via United States Postal Service (USPS). If you are returning an item at an Apple Store, you will receive a new Apple Gift Card.

Cash payments will be refunded in the form of a check from Apple, which will be mailed to your billing address within 14 calendar days of receipt of the returned package.

I'm not surprised. You made an uneducated large purchase

Please flame some place else apple hater. He bought something and for what ever reason returned it. Regardless of the reason he returned it within the 15 day return window allowed by apple. There is no evidence to say his purchase was uneducated and frankly the position he is in now could have happened regardless of the item or store.

Please flame some place else apple hater. He bought something and for what ever reason returned it. Regardless of the reason he returned it within the 15 day return window allowed by apple. There is no evidence to say his purchase was uneducated and frankly the position he is in now could have happened regardless of the item or store.

I am typing this from my 13" MBP or would you prefer I sent it from my iPhone? :p

I'm not surprised. You made an uneducated large purchase and now want an instant refund. It does not work like that. You should have asked about their return policy while you were making the purchase or googled it real quick. At this point your debit card is being treated the same way as a credit card would be... your anger is misdirected. See below (or the link, your choice) :

*claps*

I had a similar experience at the Apple store in North Park Mall in Dallas.

Was there the other day and I heard in passing an Apple blue shirt go "I'm totally not a MAC Person"

Was like WTF - how do they ALLOW you to work there :/

There actually isn't a lot of topics on this if you do a google search... just warning future people who purchase apple products. Also, I'm not mad at apple, just suggesting they improve their policies.

I had a similar experience at the Apple store in North Park Mall in Dallas.

Was there the other day and I heard in passing an Apple blue shirt go "I'm totally not a MAC Person"

Was like WTF - how do they ALLOW you to work there :/

Yes, they are pretty good outside of store. In-store is a different story. However, I can walk down the mall to the Sony Store or Microsoft store and have a great experience. It didn't used to be this way.

Funny thing is I'm not a Mac hater. I had a Macbook Pro for 2 years, and decided it was not worth the money longer term - not a good upgrade path and I that I was better off getting a PC laptop and upgrading it and keeping that long term over a product that is overpriced and whose support is hardly that different from a PC.

That said, I own both Mac and PC products and I am not hating on Apple, just think their refund policy should be improved.

I have a credit card, I just choose to not pay the APR on a $1200 item...

And you had the money directly in the bank account for said purchase.

This means you could have gotten points, miles, etc using a credit card, and, because of the way credit cards work, you would have gotten 60 days interest free to pay it off (at a minimum).

So you put it on the Credit Card, and pay it off the moment you get the bill.

Oh, and by the way, doing it this way is WAY better for building credit. I had a 750+ credit score all through college this way (and a PhD meant college was . . . .longer then normal!)

Turns out if you ever do it as a debit transaction there is no way for any vendor to refund you. Unfortunately, this took Apple 2 weeks to figure out. I told the person who accepted my return the first time that it was not a credit transaction but they kept saying "it has to be refunded back on the origionsl form of payment." Had they checked that it was part cash, part debit, they would have sent a check out to me originally when I returned it. Now instead of getting my return in 10 business days it will take twice that long, at approximately 20 business days. Needless to say, Apple has lost my business. Too much incompetence.

Anyone know how long it takes apple to mail a check? They are saying 10 more business days, but I'm wondering if anyone has gotten theirs before then?

Last edited:
I wish I could. I wanted to buy something from newegg on sale and have some extra money on the bank. Lesson learned, I'm not buying a big ticket item from Apple again. Customer service is terrible.

I can never get a manager on the phone, even when I was trying to get a job there the manager was very rude to me over the phone, but curious over email. I guess they aren't very good at customer support, in fact, I've read some feedback saying Apple's customer support is about as bad as Best Buys. They are knowledgeable but if you have a problem with their product it's "your" fault.

I'll try this.

RE: Good Friday comment. I was told only banks are closed then. But even then the bank should have processed the refund by Thursday if it was 3 business days. The only thread I was able to dig up on this topic was on "macrumors.com" - where the customer got his refund in 2 business days. I just don't see why it takes so long. Microsoft also refunded my money in 2 business days, but it was for $120, not $1200.

Bottom line, whether you agree with me or not, is that Apple products cost a lot to have fixed, Apple Care on Macbook laptops is $250? Ripoff. I can get a 2 year extended warranty on a laptop on newegg for $80. No way I should be paying so much for products whos screens break, dent easily, and then if there is any damage, Apple will not help you. Sorry I just don't buy the argument anymore that if you pay more for an Apple product you get a long lasting, higher quality product with better resale value. Not buying it for a second.

Then add the fact that if you call them or ask them a question, they give you the run around. Great.

/rant
So basicaly u wanted to buy an apple laptop,got it ,but than saw a better deal on newegg for a better and cheaper laptop/ product and decided to return the laptop from apple. Than when they didint refund u asp,u started remembering about a job interview ,where the manager of an apple store was rude to u,and u finaly saw the scam behind apple,overcharging even for apple care,and decided to hate them as a company!!!
Welcome to the club :d
Typing this from my iphone 4 :)))

Even if someone tells u something its not gonna make the check come faster.... Just lay off the red bull and wait for the check :) and i thought i was the only impatient guy around here :))

wow! I would b all over the apple store manager, district manager and talking to apple customer relations. this is soo messed up that u have to wait this long because of an employee mistake.

regardless of the reason he returned the product he is still entitled to getting his refund in a sain amount of time. people need to stop focusing on why he returned and it. go apple hate some place else please.

I'm really confused, you used a debit card for the transaction and they need to send you a check now?
when i last used a debit card when i bought something from apple, the refund went faster than to cc? Not sure if my debit is different from your, but i have a Wellsfargo Debit card with a Visa Logo in the front

Back