How long do PSU's last?

J Macker

[H]F Junkie
The oldest PSU I have that still works is 14 years old (reviews back in 2006, I think I bought it in the fall). it's an Enhance ENS-0560G model that I use for charging LIPO RC batteries. I modded the wires and jumpered it to boot without a motherboard connection. I've charged at 30A on two 12v rails combined and no problems. Granted, it hasn't been used much in the past 6 years since I retired it from full-time computer useage, but it still works fine.

sphinx99

Gawd
A well engineered power supply should last in the neighborhood of 15-20 years with reasonable function, as long as it was not run continuously at its limits and/or heat-soaked for a good portion of its life. I'm continually baffled by the notion that they should be any less reliable. I have 40 year old computers working fine on their original power supplies... and 60 year old amplifiers and other gear. This is not to say that every PSU will last for ever, or that even a good quality one won't have some outliers, but in general there's a lot of know-how out there around doing AC/DC power conversion properly.

Ready4Dis

2[H]4U
The oldest PSU I have that still works is 14 years old (reviews back in 2006, I think I bought it in the fall). it's an Enhance ENS-0560G model that I use for charging LIPO RC batteries. I modded the wires and jumpered it to boot without a motherboard connection. I've charged at 30A on two 12v rails combined and no problems. Granted, it hasn't been used much in the past 6 years since I retired it from full-time computer useage, but it still works fine.
I use an old PSU for the same thing, just uses the 12v rail to my charger, lol. I wouldn't doubt it's similar age (or older), I think it came out of a Pentium 4 box...

DanNeely

2[H]4U
I use an old PSU for the same thing, just uses the 12v rail to my charger, lol. I wouldn't doubt it's similar age (or older), I think it came out of a Pentium 4 box...

Something that old probably isn't actually giving 12V if you don't have anything in the 3.3/5v rails. PSUs from that far back always (almost always?) use a group regulated design will have voltages go out of spec if you don't put reasonable amounts of load on both halves of the output (if you're looking at reviews this is looked at in cross load tests) with the highly loaded rail going out of spec high and lightly loaded one low. Newer designs avoid this problem by only creating the 12V rail via AC-DC conversion, and then creating the 3.3/5v rails off of the 12V DC instead.

Depending on how picky your charger is this may or may not be a problem. I'd assume a good one would have enough onboard regulation to deal with crappy input and nope out and shut down if it reached the point that it couldn't. OTOH because lion batteries have destructive failure modes, I really don't like the idea of pushing the envelop with them in any way however safe other components should make it.

Ready4Dis

2[H]4U
Something that old probably isn't actually giving 12V if you don't have anything in the 3.3/5v rails. PSUs from that far back always (almost always?) use a group regulated design will have voltages go out of spec if you don't put reasonable amounts of load on both halves of the output (if you're looking at reviews this is looked at in cross load tests) with the highly loaded rail going out of spec high and lightly loaded one low. Newer designs avoid this problem by only creating the 12V rail via AC-DC conversion, and then creating the 3.3/5v rails off of the 12V DC instead.

Depending on how picky your charger is this may or may not be a problem. I'd assume a good one would have enough onboard regulation to deal with crappy input and nope out and shut down if it reached the point that it couldn't. OTOH because lion batteries have destructive failure modes, I really don't like the idea of pushing the envelop with them in any way however safe other components should make it.
Oh, my charger doesnt care. I think the spec is like 9v to 15v or something. It was made to run from a car battery for field charging.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
the PSU I'm currently using is 10.5 years old...which is why I trust Corsair and will continue buying their PSU's

atarione

[H]ard|Gawd
I think some of y'all over think this Power supplies in a PC can (not all of them will) last for decades... Right now I'm listening to music on my circa 1989~ Sony ES stack (TA-N77ES / TA-E77ESD) the amp is rated at 200WPC and weighs the better part of 56lbs the pre is 30~lbs .. this stuff is 30~yrs + old now and it is going strong .. I have older vintage audio gear from the 70s that has no problems with the power supplies... meh.. The Power supply in my wife's computer is about 8yrs old now.. mine (ironically) is a Seasonic X750 that had to be warrantied at about 6yrs old... the replacement is a year and half ? maybe 2 yrs old.
Build quality / luck / ??? may cause results to vary but these things can last a long time, I have found 25yr old pc's that still boot fine with their ancient power supplies.. Figures my $$$ Seasonic ate crap at 6yrs.. lol.. on the upside it didn't take anything with it, the computer just wouldn't boot anymore with that psu.

desk_jun18.jpg

I have a 9 year old Seasonic SS-850HT. It's probably been running about half power it's entire life and shown no issues. Am I good to just keep using it until it fails?

SmokeRngs

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008
I have a 9 year old Seasonic SS-850HT. It's probably been running about half power it's entire life and shown no issues. Am I good to just keep using it until it fails?

I literally just retired an almost 12 year old Antec NeoPower HE 650. It was still powering everything fine with no issues but I wanted to replace it as I felt that was long enough to have been using it and I had finally upgraded hardware. I'm not sure I ever even hit 50% usage on it as I only purchased a 650 because it was on sale, not because I needed that sort of wattage. It doesn't hurt that the PSU was used daily and I practically never turned the machine off unless I had to tear it apart or clean it.

If your PSU isn't giving you any issues, don't worry about it. Seasonic PSUs are almost all good quality.

It's one thing to replace an older, marginal or low quality PSU but for the most part there's no need to replace an older high quality PSU if it's still running fine. It has always been my habit to buy a new PSU when building a new system but part of that reason is because I rarely tear down the old system but continue using it in some form.

AIM9x

Weaksauce
My Corsair TX750 V1 lasted for over 10 years and went through three builds. I only replaced it because I connected a fan to the motherboard with one pin off the connector on accident and it smoked it up and modular is nice. Still worked but I replaced it anyways after that. Would've went with another corsair but the Seasonic I got was a steal.

Seasonic is one of Corsair's OEMs, so there's a possibility you went from one seasonic to another. They are one of the earliest brands I remember seeing switch to a 12cm fan with an underslung intake while everyone else was still using a loud 8cm fan on the back panel.

There's always the possibility something can fail, but seasonic makes good stuff. Capacitors will degrade over time just due to what capacitors are, but if you're only running half load it might take quite some time before it becomes an issue. I have a Seasonic PSU from 2007 that still is being used in a family member's hand-me-down pc. I wouldn't trust it with expensive brand-new hardware, but it's being used on some older hardware and the data should be backed up fairly often.

My current pc is actually using a 7 or 8 year old Seasonic supply. I might eventually swap it out, but I also run it at half-load and it (the supply) is a bit of a beast.

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
Seasonic is one of Corsair's OEMs, so there's a possibility you went from one seasonic to another. They are one of the earliest brands I remember seeing switch to a 12cm fan with an underslung intake while everyone else was still using a loud 8cm fan on the back panel.

There's always the possibility something can fail, but seasonic makes good stuff. Capacitors will degrade over time just due to what capacitors are, but if you're only running half load it might take quite some time before it becomes an issue. I have a Seasonic PSU from 2007 that still is being used in a family member's hand-me-down pc. I wouldn't trust it with expensive brand-new hardware, but it's being used on some older hardware and the data should be backed up fairly often.

My current pc is actually using a 7 or 8 year old Seasonic supply. I might eventually swap it out, but I also run it at half-load and it (the supply) is a bit of a beast.

Agreed but I think my specific model was CWT built which is also solid.

n0ob3r

n00b
I have been running a raidmax 700AC now for 8 years on an AMD 8320. Knock on wood...and yes I need to upgrade =)

zandor

2[H]4U
I've only had 2 PSUs malfunction on me personally, and both were back in the early 2000s. Add another one if you count the rig I helped a friend build back in 2006 that needed a new PSU 4-5 years later. The PSU in my current "main rig" is a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 950W from 2012, though I have a Seasonic Prime TX 1000W sitting in a box for my next build since I'm not tossing the machine the 950W is in. It's old (i7-3820), but it has 64GB of ram so good for some programming fun when I need more than one box.

The first one was the PSU in the 486 machine my parents bought me when I started college in 1993. It needed repair around 1999 or so when the fan failed. It didn't die, it just got scorching hot. One day I touched the case and "woah that's hot". It was fine after a fan swap. I just ran over to Radio Shack, got another fan and did a little soldering. My dad had the same problem with a machine he bought a couple years later, though he swapped in the 80mm AC fan he salvaged from the Toshiba 100 computer he bought in 1982 or so. It wasn't quiet, but the bearings in that old fan were so good that 20 years later you could hold it flat in your hand, rotate the housing, and the blades would stay in about the same place. When you turned off the computer it took a couple minutes to stop spinning. Everything in that old Toshiba CMS machine that plugged into something was gold plated. I guess that's what you got in a computer that cost $2000+ in 1982.

Next up was the PSU in a cheap case I bought in 1997. Probably went 5 years, then popped.

Since then, nada for PSU failures in my machines. I had a 400W or so Antec, then a PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 550, followed by a couple of PCP&C Silencers - 750W or so and a 950W. The 550W Enermax I put in a dual socket 940 compute box I helped a friend build back in 2006 while he was working on his Ph.D. died some years later though. It didn't take anything out when it went. He replaced it with a Corsair 850TX (CMPSU-850TX), which is currently powering the file server/Linux box sitting next to my cable modem/wireless router and ethernet switch in the basement. He moved to Hong Kong a few years ago and gave me his old compute box. All the expensive parts were old junk by then, but I'm keeping the Lian-Li full tower all aluminum case with the row of 5.25" bays all the way down the front and the PSU is still good.

I have an "aging" HX850 its about 8 to 9 years old. I wanted to see also what the consensus about using an older PSU for one for the newer cards " mid range 6 series or mid range 3 series"

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I have an "aging" HX850 its about 8 to 9 years old. I wanted to see also what the consensus about using an older PSU for one for the newer cards " mid range 6 series or mid range 3 series"

The spec hasn't changed. It will be completely compatible with a new card. Any card that requires an adapter should have one included. My ~13 year old PSU does fine with my 2080 RTX. Assuming that your PSU was a good design to begin with, age isn't the main factor you should worry about. The more significant question would be, what kind of life has your PSU had? If the PSU has been kept clean, kept cool, and not pushed too hard, then it should be able to last decades. Some PSUs, both new and old, use cheap or bad capacitors that can fail over time, but that's more of a design flaw issue than an age issue. If your PSU has already lasted this long, then it probably didn't have bad capacitors in it, and will probably be good for a long time to come.

The spec hasn't changed. It will be completely compatible with a new card. Any card that requires an adapter should have one included. My ~13 year old PSU does fine with my 2080 RTX. Assuming that your PSU was a good design to begin with, age isn't the main factor you should worry about. The more significant question would be, what kind of life has your PSU had? If the PSU has been kept clean, kept cool, and not pushed too hard, then it should be able to last decades. Some PSUs, both new and old, use cheap or bad capacitors that can fail over time, but that's more of a design flaw issue than an age issue. If your PSU has already lasted this long, then it probably didn't have bad capacitors in it, and will probably be good for a long time to come.

Well, it has been "married to my 3570k and Original GTX titan since the beginning. Slight OC on CPU @ 4.0 ghz forever. Ive cleaned it out occasionally, case has a dust filter(upside down mounted) My only concern is with increase load ( going to build around zen2 + midrange 6 or 3 series) might cause stress on an otherwise flawless PSU. Thank you for your insight.

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie
Well, it has been "married to my 3570k and Original GTX titan since the beginning. Slight OC on CPU @ 4.0 ghz forever. Ive cleaned it out occasionally, case has a dust filter(upside down mounted) My only concern is with increase load ( going to build around zen2 + midrange 6 or 3 series) might cause stress on an otherwise flawless PSU. Thank you for your insight.

In that case, you're going from a 250+ watt GPU to a 150 watt GPU. CPU-wise you're going from a 100 watt CPU to a 80-150 watt CPU, depending on which model you get. Your 850 watt is already way overkill for your system, and your planned system uses less power.

In that case, you're going from a 250+ watt GPU to a 150 watt GPU. CPU-wise you're going from a 100 watt CPU to a 80-150 watt CPU, depending on which model you get. Your 850 watt is already way overkill for your system, and your planned system uses less power.
Thanks, thats good comparison numbers! I will just keep it and use the save money elsewhere. TY