How is this?

Where do I start?

Whats your budget on the upgrade?

I'll let enginurd or Danny Bui give you a prebuild if your looking to replace your computer.

First and foremost: What are you going to be using the computer for?

Second: Whats your budget?

A P4 isn't going to perform that well for gaming nowadays if you hope to run the latest games.

Also, what sort of monitor/resolution are you running?

What games do you want to play realistically?

You need to answer a lot of questions before we give you answers

Your computers IP address is 192.168.1.65

i knew that and thanks for sharing it with everyone else.

I will use this pc for graphic design and some light gaming nothing spectacular

Resolution is @ 1280x 1024

and budget wise overall i dont want to spend more then 300 dollars including shipping if i cannot find the product in store

Oh and guys as of now i am a sales rep at Fry's now WOOOO! I applied a few weeks ago and they just called me and now my budget can be raised to 1000 dollars

I would get more memory to start off. Just that would be huge.

How much memory and whats some names of sites that i can get some decent priced stuff

oh and also I saw this and i kinda trust what the guy is selling but idk if thats real or the right prosscessor so if someone could take a look at this image and tell me if thats the real deal and not some guy trying to sell and old processor http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=200147550917&Category=14293

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
P£P§!™;1031392229 said:
i knew that and thanks for sharing it with everyone else.

Don't worry about your LAN address.. heck mine is 192.168.0.137. It useless to know on the outside.

Throw some more RAM under the hood.

Upgrade your network adapter, lose the USB one.

Wait wait, you now have a $1000 for this? If so, just build a whole new PC! It's simply more cost-effective to just build a whole new PC then try to upgrade your old PC, especially since your budget is now $1000.

Considering what you are doing now, I recommend going with this setup:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 CPU - $200
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35 Motherboard - $88
A-Data ADQVE1A16K 2 x 1GB DDR2 800 RAM - $78
Sapphire 100199L Radeon X1950GT 256MB PCI-E Video Card - $115
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $80
Samsung SH-203B 20X DVD±R SATA DVD Burner - $31
Corsair HX520 520W PSU - $105
Scythe SCNJ-1100P Ninja HSF - $36
-----
Total: $737 Plus tax and shipping

Go on Newegg.com and find a computer case that you like. Cases are a personal choice item IMO so you should pick that out yourself. The above build outperforms your current rig by a large margin in video game. If you don't have a spare OS around, here's are two options:
Windows XP Home OEM - $90
Windows Vista Home Premium OEM- $100

The x1950GT should good enough for light gaming with your monitor's resolution. The 320GB hard drive is big enough for your graphics design needs. Though if you need to, you can easily add more SATA hard drives.

Wait wait, you now have a $1000 for this? If so, just build a whole new PC! It's simply more cost-effective to just build a whole new PC then try to upgrade your old PC, especially since your budget is now $1000.

Considering what you are doing now, I recommend going with this setup:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 CPU - $200
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35 Motherboard - $88
A-Data ADQVE1A16K 2 x 1GB DDR2 800 RAM - $78
Sapphire 100199L Radeon X1950GT 256MB PCI-E Video Card - $115
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $80
Samsung SH-203B 20X DVD±R SATA DVD Burner - $31
Scythe SCNJ-1100P Ninja HSF - $36
-----
Total: $737 Plus tax and shipping

Go on Newegg.com and find a computer case that you like. Cases are a personal choice item IMO so you should pick that out yourself. The above build outperforms your current rig by a large margin in video game. If you don't have a spare OS around, here's are two options:
Windows XP Home OEM - $90
Windows Vista Home Premium OEM- $100

The x1950GT should good enough for light gaming with your monitor's resolution. The 320GB hard drive is big enough for your graphics design needs. Though if you need to, you can easily add more SATA hard drives.

I think I should still use the same psu and will theat mobo u suggest still be able to run the video card i have now because i dont really want to upgrade that unless im gonna buy some badass 600 dollar one

P£P§!™;1031392798 said:
I think I should still use the same psu and will theat mobo u suggest still be able to run the video card i have now because i dont really want to upgrade that unless im gonna buy some badass 600 dollar one

What PSU do you have? Please include manufacturer, wattage, and any other links to it. If the PSU came with the case, ditch it. Usually PSUs that come with cases are crap and is not of good quality.

The mobo should support your 6800GS. Why would you want to spend $600 on a new graphics card considering that all you need is a $115 x1950GT? With your monitor's resolution, all you need is that video card I linked to earlier. And it outperforms your 6800GS. Even though you're a light gamer, at least when you play games, you get to play with some eye candy.

But if you want to save some money, then keep your 6800GS.

The psu I have is just a compusa brand 550, and yea the one that came with the case was crap it stopped working after 1 year of barely using the comp, and yea i did want to kinda save some money so i could possible sell my monitor now on ebay or something and get this one ive been looking at on Gateway

P£P§!™;1031392854 said:
The psu I have is just a compusa brand 550, and yea the one that came with the case was crap it stopped working after 1 year of barely using the comp, and yea i did want to kinda save some money so i could possible sell my monitor now on ebay or something and get this one ive been looking at on Gateway

I wouldn't trust that CompUSA brand with this new PC. Get a new PSu. If you want to save some money, go with this PSU instead of the one I recommended earlier:
XCLIO Goodpower 500W PSU - $50

The main difference between XClio and the Corsair is quality with the Corsair PSU being of higher quality.

The Corsair PSU is quiet too. Buy.com has it slightly cheaper for $99.99 with free shipping. Plus, if you sign up for Google Checkout you can get $10 off.

For the memory, I would suggest the Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB set that Newegg has for $69.99 after rebate (until Sept. 7). I got that myself about a month ago with a lesser rebate, and at that even lower price I'm tempted to get it again to go to 4GB on my setup.

I agree with Danny. Just build a new system, and go with the parts he suggested. CompUSA brand?!?! yah, ditch it unless you want your new parts to die (not like it'll kill 'em all for sure, but it is a possibility).

Also, what monitor do you plan on buying?

Nice. What a big help you are.

I think RoBo's post was as helpful as the OP... which was not helpful at all, which was RoBo's point, lol.

If you're goin with that 24", then you'll need at least a single GTX or Ultra. However, you may want to wait for the new NVIDIA cards, which are rumored to be out in october.

Also, you'll need a new PSU to power the new vidcard.

Oh cool I think i will wait then and maybe pick up a 700 w it will just take longer than anticipated

P£P§!™;1031393210 said:
Oh cool I think i will wait then and maybe pick up a 700 w it will just take longer than anticipated

Don't just get any Power supply just based on it's wattage. These days, wattage doesn't matter as much the quality of the power supply and where those watts are being delivered. A 700W power supply may actually have 320W available for use by the PC. So basically, don't skimp on the power supply and choose trusted brand name PSU.

The power supply is the one item you DO NOT skimp on or take likely. A bad power supply could end taking out your entire system. With that said, go with either this PSU if you want to save a bit of money:
XCLIO Goodpower 500W PSU - $50

Or this power supply if you want true quality in your power supply:

If you're goin with that 24", then you'll need at least a single GTX or Ultra. However, you may want to wait for the new NVIDIA cards, which are rumored to be out in october.

Also, you'll need a new PSU to power the new vidcard.

ok thats just a dash too strong... and by a dash I mean "way to effin". If we take the converse we get "If you're goin with that 24", then you'll need something better then a [Geforce 8800]GTS to even run any game. Running something at low res with med quality settings is like cryptonite to [H]-ers

You cant expect that card to do too well against the new Unreal 3 engine, or the Crytek 2 engine, but it will certainly give valve's source engine a run for its money. If you run your monitor at at 1/4 the res (ie 960 X 600, or something like that), youll get a not-too shabby looking picture.

next, you can get a GTX (which consumes more power then an Ultra) to run under max load on a well planned 400W PSU, as its known to take a maximum of 17A off the 12V rail, I'm betting my liberty 400W could do it.

For $1000, I think you need to prioritize yourself. I would suggest a new graphics card, a little more ram, a new quality PSU, and that monitor you were looking at. Pick up an X1950XT, that monitor and a 2gb kit, and a good Seasonic or Enermax PSU. Normally PC power and cooling would make my list but with the recent OCZ merger all its done is go down hill. You can still get excellent products from PC P&C but, from the two manufacturers I listed, all products are quality.

P£P§!™;1031393509 said:
Unless your gonna be visiting Texas sometime soon you won't be finding me:)

Kyle will use your WAN IP address to come and hunt you down. :cool:

Back