how does 4k/2k look through VGA port

xxtraloud

Limp Gawd
I have an integrated intel HD 4000 in my laptop with both a HDMI and a VGA port, I know HDMI is limited to 30hz for 4k and I am wondering how does 4k look through VGA and if it can output such resolution possibly via custom mode.

Has anyone tried this? I am worried text might not be sharp and the image might not be sharp, but if it's only slightly less sharp than HDMI I would be happy with that.

thanks

I think a better question is does anything even exist capable of receiving VGA at 4k?

The only 4k display I know of with VGA are those Seiki TV's, but they cannot display 4k over VGA, only DVI and HDMI.

There is no such thing as VGA (D-Sub 15) 4K signal.

I am asking because theoretically VGA has no bandwidth limit being an analog signal. If not 4K, many 1440 monitors have a VGA port, how does it fare with those?

That is a difficult question to definitively answer. Very few modern monitors have ADCs which will accept resolutions beyond 1920x1080.

If I had to speculate, I would say that so long as the cable is very short and both the DAC and ADC are of good quality, 4K over VGA should look reasonable.

3840x2160 at reduced timings:
30Hz - 263MHz
46Hz - 400MHz
60Hz - 518MHz

It is unreasonable to expect 400MHz ADC. 2560x1440@60Hz require 242Hz at tightest timings so if monitor support it then should in theory also hit 4K@30Hz. Imho however most monitor ADC will max out around 167MHz and wont support anything better.

I am asking because theoretically VGA has no bandwidth limit being an analog signal. If not 4K, many 1440 monitors have a VGA port, how does it fare with those?

I would imagine that you'd have to have some pretty good components to support a 4K signal that looks good.

At an electrical level, there is no difference between analogue and digital, so VGA is subject to bandwidth limits just like HDMI or any other interface. I doubt a standard VGA cable is going to cut it at 4k.

Back