How do you stress test your overclock.

s4rge

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 3, 2003
Messages
459
Now, do you only run 1 stress program at a time or can you run two at a time. Like prime95 and orthos at the same time.

For example i ran orthos by itself and it passes for a good amount of time.

If i run orthos and prime at the same time than orthos fails 10 seconds in.

Cpu temp doesnt raise over 60c.

Thanks.
 
I used orthos on mine ran it over night and it passed. I used 2 even tho you only need one now.
 
I just use Prime95 and stress all 4 cores.
Pass after 12 hours and I'm happy.
I don't think there would EVER be a program that would use more resources the 100% on 4 cores. I don't see any reason to stress more then this.
 
I would just use one, Orthos is prolly the best

if you want a quick stability test you can try OCCT
 
I boot off a memtest CD and use memtest. Just to make sure that memory is happy. I usually fire it up, go to work. come home and see how it did.

Then I fire up Orthos and let it run small fft. I like to l let it run for 24 hours, if this is where I am planning to run my machine 24/7. If I'm just doing little tests along the way to find a stable oc, I run orthos, go do something for a bit (an hour, whatever), see if it is happy. If so, pop up the oc a little, rinse, repeat.

Once I hit errors, I back off a little and run either 24 hours or until I hit an error. Hit an error, back off. Etc. (Then there's all the voltage tweaking, blah blah blah)

This is because I fold on my system 24/7. If I was just gaming or messing about, I'd probably not be so anal about it all.. Probably just a few hours of orthos and call it done.
 
Normal Activities.

If I can play all my games maxed out (COD4, Crysis, both supreme commanders, STA2) play music, watch media, browse internet, for at least a week without errors Then it is stable to me.
 
Yeah notepad.exe is probably the most taxing program I have ever used. It blows Crysis away! :D
 
i run prime5 and use the computer at the same time

run as many as you want, the more stress the better
 
prime blended plus real time hdr to load the cpu, most of the memory, and the video card. also a good indicator if your psu will hold up.
 
prime blended plus real time hdr to load the cpu, most of the memory, and the video card. also a good indicator if your psu will hold up.
I do the same but also run ATI tool with "scan for artifacts" to stress video and PSU.
 
Prime, stressing all 4 cores and memory.

Run continuously 24/7 for 5 days. Will occasionally use my PC while it is being stressed. Light use only eg. emails, torrent upload/downloads etc.

If any issues, it's unstable.

This seem like overkill, but it does take a few days for some rather large torrent downloads so the PC is doing something useful at least so no big deal for me. I don't use the PC heavily when I work anyway, so 5 days, Monday to Friday, is ideal to ensure my overclock is stable.
 
another OCCT user here
I'm very impatient, I'm not running anything for 24 hours to test for stable, and I've never had a problem with any machine after passing 30 minutes of OCCT
 
I play the games I like.

If it doesn't crash, then it as stable as I need it to be. ;)
 
Normal Activities.

If I can play all my games maxed out (COD4, Crysis, both supreme commanders, STA2) play music, watch media, browse internet, for at least a week without errors Then it is stable to me.

Seconded. Heck, I didn't even test my voltage. I read it online and put it straight on my system. Luckily, it is really low anyway.
 
Hi,

I use notepad.exe
I forgot I use mspaint.exe too.

I used them both and got a crash during my stress testing. Do you suggest run each one individually? LOL That is the funniest thing I have ever heard for stress testing. I got a good laugh from it.

Seriously and back on topic, I used a 24 hour Prime 95 version 25.4 on my Q6600 stress testing. I did Orthos SP2004 when I had my E6420. That did just as well. Prime was more quad core friendly and familiar to me when I needed a system check.

Good luck in your overclocking quests,
shaggy
 
i used SP2004 (aka orthos).

And then i'll download ultimate boot CD and run prime95 from there.

Sometimes i'll run multiple tests at a time
 
On my new system I used OCCT for 12 hours. I also tried to run orthos/prime but they both errored out after 10 minutes.
 
Prime95 v25 Blend. I run it overnight, minimum 8 hours. 12 hours maximum. I don't exceed 12 hours since it's unnecessary.

Then I run 3dmark06 loops (Graphics tests only) for about 3-4 hours at my native resolution (1920x1200) with all AA/AF maxed.
Then done.
 
I just use Prime95 and stress all 4 cores.
Pass after 12 hours and I'm happy.
I don't think there would EVER be a program that would use more resources the 100% on 4 cores. I don't see any reason to stress more then this.

I do this too with Prime 95 v25 Small FFTs.
 
after orthos and memtest, i run loops of UT3 and WiC to test the combined OC of my chip and vid card. cuz lets face it, they both generate heat when you're gaming.

and 3dmark can suck it.
 
I used to run prime95 and 3dmark demo loop at the same time, overnight.

I now use Orthos (pretty much the same as prime95) and some other graphics test, both at the same time. (can't think of the graphics test but it's similar to the ATI tool - it loops this scene with what looks like a big fuzzy doughnut and it really stresses the graphics system) None of this wussy "run the graphics test after the cpu test" crap - if your system is stable you should be able to do both at the same time, for extended periods of time.
 
After I've dialed in my OCs thru brief tests and some trial and error I run Memtest 86+ to make sure the memory's completely fine (I've had errors in Memtest and not Prime95/Orthos in the past), then I run Orthos w/small FFTs for 12 hours... And after that I'll run it for another 12 hours on blend with rthdribl looping to heat up the GPU, maybe an MP3 playlist on repeat for some extra disk activity, and some docs/sites open just for good measure. :p

I've no idea if rthdribl still gets current cards heated up well enough though, I haven't set up or had to test an OC on any of my own systems in a while (friend's/work mostly)... Guess I should find out for whenever I build myself a new one, anyone know?
 
Like many people here, I use Prime95 blend test for 8+ hours. That should tell you if your OC is stable or not.
 
Shit, 2 instances of Folding@Home (for Team 33), looped 3DM06, for starters.....then run a defrag on all 3 drives while Folding is still running...and browsing and whatnot at the same time....if it passes that for 4-5 hours, I am happy.


With Vista64, I have had exactly ONE BSOD, driver related. That's pretty much a record considering I change drivers and stuff alot....but I am not an extreme overclocker, I tend to go to the upper medium side of things and stay 100% reliable. The fastest pc in the world is no good to me if it hangs in the middle of a dvd burn, game session, etc.
 
Back
Top