How do you shutdown your PC...

FusionXP

Limp Gawd
Do you use Turn Off, Hibernate, or Stand By?

I myself use Stand By. It just shuts down the PC quick.

I use the shut down feature, because that's what I do with it. Neither of the other two options actually shut the machine down. HIbernate comes close, but it's not the same. The only computer I use everyday is my work laptop. I wish I had more time to use my home computer as often as I'd like.

Turn off

I usually power off my system at night and turn it on before I goto work. I'll leave it running if its downloading or doing something that will take a long time.

i usually hit the start button then hit shutdown.

once in a while ill just hit the power button on the comp and it will do the shutdown that way. I dont think there is much diff between the 2

EquaLiZr said:

once in a while ill just hit the power button on the comp and it will do the shutdown that way. I dont think there is much diff between the 2

Same here, especially if I'm in a hurry.

Standby on my laptop, which I use constantly and I've never shut down my desktop.

on my laptop i almost always standby, i hibernate if i'm going to be on battery for a while. i never turn off my main PC under normal circumstances. at work, we press the actual power button to turn the computers off, of course windows intercepts the power button press and turns it off.

AMD[H]unter said:
I never shut mine down. Period.

Same here. I leave it up all the time. For the odd times I do need to shutdown (re-arrange room, etc), I usually just type:

Code:
shutdown -h now

But, that's a linux/unix thing. Not really one of the options.

acascianelli said:
Turn off

I usually power off my system at night and turn it on before I goto work. I'll leave it running if its downloading or doing something that will take a long time.

^_^ ditto.

EquaLiZr said:

EnderXC said:
Same here, especially if I'm in a hurry.

What? Turn off without shutting down Windows? Can sure tell you don't use Win98. :p

visaris said:
Same here. I leave it up all the time. For the odd times I do need to shutdown (re-arrange room, etc), I usually just type:

Code:
shutdown -h now

But, that's a linux/unix thing. Not really one of the options.

shutdown is a valid windows app. I'm not sure of those switches, but I know shutdown is a Windows app as well.

When I do turn it off, I use the SHUTDOWN from the start menu.
Only times they get shutdown is during lightning storms or upgrades.

Susquehannock said:
^_^ ditto.

What? Turn off without shutting down Windows? Can sure tell you don't use Win98. :p
If you hit the button and not hold it the shut down processes will start and it wont just hard shut down. It will go through all the regular shut down features just you don't have to go through any menu.

I shut down my computer by the power going off. I don't even know if my case has a switch on the front since I have the system setup to turn back on when power returns.

In other words, I don't shut my systems down.

I have the clapper....clap on.....clap off.....LOL! I try to leave it on all the time but when I turn it off I use Start-->Turn off computer.

I wait for a storm :) I leave it on 24/7 and the only time it gets turned off is when it storms.

if you never turn it on, then you dont have to worry about turning it off... simple as that

Susquehannock said:
^_^ ditto.

Yes I remeber the 98 days when the stupid check disk would come up, but Xp lets you set your power button to start the shutdown, or hibernate.

^_^ nice isn't it? :D
You can disable that post shutdown error check actually. Not always a good idea though.

I still have a Win98se based rig running for older games. That OS requires a softer touch
& stricter maintenance regimen to achieve the same reliability.
It's definitely the way to go though if you like to run a lot of older games with 3rd party mods.

OT ->>I noticed some turn off their system when it storms. Do you also unplug it from the wall? I use to just power off the system during thunder storms but leave everything plugged in. But that is pointless, right? Just because it's off doesn't mean it will survive a lightning strike.

FusionXP said:
OT ->>I noticed some turn off their system when it storms. Do you also unplug it from the wall? I use to just power off the system during thunder storms but leave everything plugged in. But that is pointless, right? Just because it's off doesn't mean it will survive a lightning strike.

In florida where we have alot of t storms I unplug my surge protector, that is, after I turn of my computer.

I only shut my machine down if I am going to be gone for more than 24 hours. I don't care about storms.. that is what this nice surge protector is for. If it goes. I get a new (and much more expensive) system. Gotta love insurance policies on surge protectors.

Worried about data? Nope, everything is on a file server on a diff circuit with 2 different surge protections on it. One on the wall jack and one on the expensive surge protector it is sitting on. Not to mention the removable drive that isn't hooked to a machine 99% of the time with all the really really important things on it. Goes in once a week to get new / changed info.

I unplug my UPS from the wall when I go away for a while. The insurance is nice but
won't help me find sutable replacements. These unlocked "low volt" T-bred B are
all long gone. Not to mention the board is out of production as well.

I shut down my PC "properly" every night. Dunno, I'm just anal about that. :)

Whenever I shutdown my main system (rarely) I shut it down completely. I hibernate the laptop :cool:

i just tap the power button when i want to turn it off (almost never). that automatically starts the windows shutdown

computerdude said:
I have the clapper....clap on.....clap off.....LOL! I try to leave it on all the time but when I turn it off I use Start-->Turn off computer.

so if you leave the navigation click on and turn your speakers up does your computer shut off? :p

I used to do standby a lot whenever I leave my computer for a long while. But since the thing wakes up too easilly whenever the mouse is moved, I shutdown more now - especially for the night.

I just unplug the power cable from the wall when I want to turn the machine off. Works like a charm.

Or I use shutdown. Whichever one is more believeable. ;)

Wow, I didn't know so many people left their computers on. I just shut mine off every night, unless I'm hardcore .torrenting. The noise from my computer (stock Intel HSF :( ) is enough to keep me awake.

N_Raged said:
I used to do standby a lot whenever I leave my computer for a long while. But since the thing wakes up too easilly whenever the mouse is moved, I shutdown more now - especially for the night.

How does your computer turn on when you move your mouse? Mine doesn't do that. Is there something in the BIOS you have to set?

I press the power button.
Turn it off when I go to bed.
If i'm using it later in the day I'll just leave it on.
If I'm not around for awhile I'll leave it off
Also unplug it if their is lightning storm,which is rare here.

I use Windows Key + L

basically my computer stays on 24/7 but I use that when I leave and don't want people messing with my shit. It goes to the welcome (password) screen.

Back