Houston: We Have a Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The problem is Houston isn’t getting a space shuttle and it isn’t sitting to well with some Texans. Houston is home to the Johnson Space Center and a very logical place to display a space shuttle. NASA obviously had thoughts to the contrary.

Texans thinking themselves the center of the universe again...

The Smithsonian is going to get theirs. The Kennedy Space Center is going to get theirs. The dollars make sense to put it in NYC since it's a tourist trap (and they don't even have one that flew in space). So fight it out with California over theirs.

Agreed. All the other destinations make more sence than California.

Incidently is the Enterprise going to the Intrepid?

Seriously guys? You know all the shuttles were built in California, right? And they landed in California after each mission.

Seriously guys? You know all the shuttles were built in California, right? And they landed in California after each mission.

Actually, the preferred landing site was Kennedy. Edwards AFB was a backup site if Kennedy was not feasible due to weather conditions or other issues.

It made sense to land at Kennedy, because if they didn't, then the shuttle had to be transported back there.

I do remember the cool sonic booms we would get when they would land at Edwards:D

If you asked 100 people to name the city that to them was synonymous with space missions, overall, what do you think the answer would be.

I'd bet on Houston.

Booo friggin whoooo...

Tulsa wanted one and didn't get one..

Fump I hate Texas people.

actually yeah we are, I the union broke up right now we would be the only one that could stand on our own 2 feet. Last time I also remembered while other states where laying people off Texas has tons of jobs in different fields. This is the reason we are the lone star state.

The List Should Have Been:
1. Smithsonian, Washington D.C. – The Discovery, the shuttle with the most flights at our National Museum.
2. Kennedy Space Center, Florida – The Atlantis, the last flight for the Shuttle Program.
3. Johnson Space Center, Houston – The Endeavour, for Houston being the center of Manned Space Flight.
4. Edwards Air Force Base, California (Los Angeles, CA) –The Enterprise, for Edwards Air Force Base being the landing site of the 1st flight of the Enterprise.

1. Smithsonian, Washington D.C. – The Discovery, the shuttle with the most flights at our National Museum.
2. Kennedy Space Center, Florida – The Atlantis, the last flight for the Shuttle Program.
3. Johnson Space Center, Houston – The Endeavour, for Houston being the center of Manned Space Flight.
4. Edwards Air Force Base, California (Los Angeles, CA) –The Enterprise, for Edwards Air Force Base being the landing site of the 1st flight of the Enterprise.

The is the belief of almost all employees of JSC. JSC trains all the astronauts and is the home of the MCC.

Yep, because the one thing New York needs right now, is another tourist attraction.

Texans thinking themselves the center of the universe again..

I think it is quite the same on the other side. They claim they deserve it for foot traffic basically? Then why not send everything that would warrant foot traffic? All the paintings, all the gardens, all the museums, everything that could possibly be a tourist attraction to New York. Just New Yorkers thinking they are the center of the universe again.

And I am not from Texas or New York but I have met plenty of both to know that attitude from the outside.

I've been to NYC and it is shitty place. Houston should get one of the working models, not the Enterprise. NYC doesn't deserve anything. Sounds like another power play because NYC is leading the deficit in NY state.

Or somewhere in Ohio should get it. Hell, Ohio is synonymous with pilots, astronauts, and flight.

I am surprised they don´t put one in Anytown, North Dakota, the way gov´t decisions are made.

Yep, because the one thing New York needs right now, is another tourist attraction.

Yeah so in another decade a terrorist group can bomb--- errr decorate the attraction with colorful confetti and streamers. :rolleyes:

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The decision to snub Houston was more than likely a political decision made by the White House. The NASA administrator is appointed by the President and Bolden is from the Clear Lake area. It's quite obvious he snubbed his own community as well.

From what I've read from other news sources the majority of NASA employees believe Houston should get it over New York. It doesn't make any logical sense to me why New York would get one over Houston.

I want one in my room because I've been a proponent of the space program ever since I was 3.

As a Houstonian I'm ashamed but not surprised. I don't think most people in the area care anyways.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The decision to snub Houston was more than likely a political decision made by the White House. The NASA administrator is appointed by the President and Bolden is from the Clear Lake area. It's quite obvious he snubbed his own community as well.

From what I've read from other news sources the majority of NASA employees believe Houston should get it over New York. It doesn't make any logical sense to me why New York would get one over Houston.
You may be thinking historically money wise nyc is where its at.

Well, there's really no other places in the world that should realisticly feel the center of the world besides New York, London, and Tokyo....possibly Dubai and Shanghai in the future.

Having said that, New York has about as much to do with the creation and operation of the space shuttle as I do, and enough other tourist attractions that it'd get by decently without it, so it should go to Houston or California.

Am I the only one who is bothered by the news station's choice of photos?

I'm glad I am not the only one that noticed. Isn't that the thing they put on the back when it is mounted to the 747 that flies it home?

Screw New York, its full of hippies and liberals who hate America and the American way of hardwork, ingenuity and capitalism.

Uhh. I live at Edwards AFB and only say the shuttle land there 3 or 4 times. It certainly did not land there after each mission. :p

Have you ever been there? I know that there is a sizable entrepreneur / banker presence in the city but there is also a significant infestations of hippie / liberal types who do nothing but whine and bitch constantly.

Sending one to NYC is a money move. There are 4 times as many people in NYC as Houston. Not to mention the number of people within 100 miles of NYC compared to the number of people within 100 miles of Houston has got to be even more (I looked for a statistic but couldn't find one quickly). More people seeing the shuttle will equal more money into NASA in the long run.

The Smithsonian is going to get theirs. The Kennedy Space Center is going to get theirs. The dollars make sense to put it in NYC since it's a tourist trap (and they don't even have one that flew in space). So fight it out with California over theirs.

They were built and flight tested in CA. Edwards AFB and the Antelope valley is the birthplace of American cutting edge aviation. It makes sense it go to LA.

There's an excellent editorial in one of the Houston papers basically saying "we didn't get it because we don't deserve it;" railing against the assumption that they deserve it merely because they're "Houston" of "we have a problem" fame. Asking who was the last governor to visit JSC? (hint: before W). When was the last time a mayor of Houston visited JSC? Nobody's sure. Texas lawmakers did essentially zero lobbying. They were complacent, thinking they'd get one because the "deserve" it. So fail.

They're museum pieces. It makes sense to place them where the most people will have a chance to see them. NYC is bigger than Houston. Somehow I really doubt there was a big conspiracy between the president and NASA to piss off Texas...

I think the space shuttle's should be in space and not parked and decommissioned.

The Space Shuttle ended up being far more expensive and dangerous than expected. The Shuttle is also limited to low-Earth-orbit and carries 1/5 the payload of the old Saturn V. We need to go back to rockets until somebody comes up with a real single-stage-to-orbit spaceplane.

Am I the only one who is bothered by the news station's choice of photos?

I'm glad I am not the only one that noticed. Isn't that the thing they put on the back when it is mounted to the 747 that flies it home?

Space Shuttle Enterprise was a demo unit for atmospheric test flight. It never went into orbit. The picture in the article is from the approach and landing tests.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Enterprise

As a Houstonian I'm ashamed but not surprised. I don't think most people in the area care anyways.

As a Houstonian I would like to disagree with you as I do beleave most of the 6.1 millon do care. Please don't speak for us.

toy4x4
Booo friggin whoooo...

Tulsa wanted one and didn't get one..

Fump I hate Texas people.

Hey toy4x4, if you hate Texas then I suggest you get the fuck out of this Texas based forum then.

Either coast has the highest concentration of whining hipster types....a group that also tends to bitch about the space program costs in general without realizing the impact and innovations that it provided in our everyday lives.....One day the space program will hopefully become strong enough to send them all up to space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back