[hot] Toshiba 40" 1080p @ Newegg $399 AC FS

requiem99

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253267

Coupon code: EMCKCJA58

I don't know how this specific model is, but I've got Toshiba's (two, both 32") in the last three years and they're both fantastic. My mate bought a 40" recently and is very pleased, but I think it was the previous year model to this one, and he paid 450 which is also actually a pretty solid deal.

I have last years model sitting right next to me as well that I picked up for 400, love it. This "updated" version however seems to have removed quite a few features. It has fewer HDMI ports(2 instead of 4), no Component, no Composite, fewer picture modes, probably something else I missed with a quick glance. If this TV uses the same panel (it probably does), then it should be a S-PVA panel.

Last edited:
I'm not saying anything about the quality or picture modes as I don't own it or the previous model, but no component or composite? Right from their site: ColorStream Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) 1 Port, and if the pics of the rear from Newegg are accurate it will accept composite as well.

Last edited:
What does the one reviewer mean by when maximize windows, it goes out of the tv screen. probably by 30 to 50 pixels. Tried with two laptops (win7, vista) on different screen sizes but no help.

If it does what he says I would go crazy trying to fix it. Would Nvidia control panel adjustments fix that with my 460's? I was really looking for something a little bigger, but this price seems darn good to me.

Going to play Street Fighter and other games on it. Could care less about what regular TV looks like on it.

:)

What does the one reviewer mean by when maximize windows, it goes out of the tv screen. probably by 30 to 50 pixels. Tried with two laptops (win7, vista) on different screen sizes but no help.

If it does what he says I would go crazy trying to fix it. Would Nvidia control panel adjustments fix that with my 460's? I was really looking for something a little bigger, but this price seems darn good to me.

What you'd need to do is set the picture mode to "native', and then go into Nvidia control panel and disable overscan or set it to 0%. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Discount the Newegg user idiot review. I assumed the people here were knowledgeable enough to pick out his obvious "HERP MY HDTV DONT WORK" moron silliness, the kind of "problem" that takes anyone with any technical knowledge whatsoever about 45 seconds to fix, or 3-4 minutes if you're a complete idiot but you know how to use The Googles.

What you'd need to do is set the picture mode to "native', and then go into Nvidia control panel and disable overscan or set it to 0%. Simple as that.

Thanks that's what I figured what I would have done. Was just making sure this wasn't some special case.

aren't plasmas still better :confused:

lol.jpg

I bought the Thoshiba 40" 40E200U back in Febuary and it works great. I bought it for $399. This certainly looks like the latest version and should be an excellent buy. The model I bought was great.

This looks like a great deal, I was in the market for a TV about this size. Toshiba with 1080p for 400$ is a great price.

Will the fact that this has a 60hz refresh rate hinder its use as a PC monitor (via either VGA or HDMI)?

I was wondering if there was any advantage to wait for a 120Hz set, particularly for PC gaming.

Otherwise, it seems like a good price for a reputable brand.

Being in NY, the newegg deal is sweeter than the Amazon. Shipping is free at the egg, but not for Amazon. Doesn't qualify for prime, so $3.99 overnighting isn't an option either. Newegg also doesn't charge NY sales tax, Amazon does.

The deal will very by location.

aren't plasmas still better :confused:

in certain things, depends what you are trying to do and how much you are willing to spend.
I have last years model sitting right next to me as well that I picked up for 400, love it. This "updated" version however seems to have removed quite a few features. It has fewer HDMI ports(2 instead of 4), no Component, no Composite, fewer picture modes, probably something else I missed with a quick glance. If this TV uses the same panel (it probably does), then it should be a S-PVA panel.
They still list the model you are most likely referring to on the Toshiba site for $699, this model lists for $549. Not sure if this is a replacement or to be sold in addition to.

I'm not saying anything about the quality or picture modes as I don't own it or the previous model, but no component or composite? Right from their site: ColorStream Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) 1 Port, and if the pics of the rear from Newegg are accurate it will accept composite as well.
Insane11 was referring to last year's model.

Will the fact that this has a 60hz refresh rate hinder its use as a PC monitor (via either VGA or HDMI)?

I was wondering if there was any advantage to wait for a 120Hz set, particularly for PC gaming.

Otherwise, it seems like a good price for a reputable brand.
120hz televisions are not true 120hz, they accept a 60hz incoming signal and insert fake frames to create a fake 120hz, which is not a good thing for PC gaming.

Long story short, for PC gaming on an LCD television you'll want a 60hz TV. And if you want true 120hz then you'll have to buy a 120hz monitor (and not a TV).

Being in NY, the newegg deal is sweeter than the Amazon. Shipping is free at the egg, but not for Amazon. Doesn't qualify for prime, so $3.99 overnighting isn't an option either. Newegg also doesn't charge NY sales tax, Amazon does.

The deal will very by location.
Amazon's return policy for televisions is more hassle-free than Newegg's. A few extra dollars can go a long way if you receive a defective TV, or even just a "partially" defective TV, which is often the case. Something to keep in mind.

somehow missed this code in my email, thanks!

Eldest daughter is moving out, so we split the cost as a last parting gift. She now has a (for her) 200.00 40" TV.

BB

120hz televisions are not true 120hz, they accept a 60hz incoming signal and insert fake frames to create a fake 120hz, which is not a good thing for PC gaming.

Long story short, for PC gaming on an LCD television you'll want a 60hz TV. And if you want true 120hz then you'll have to buy a 120hz monitor (and not a TV).

Amazon's return policy for televisions is more hassle-free than Newegg's. A few extra dollars can go a long way if you receive a defective TV, or even just a "partially" defective TV, which is often the case. Something to keep in mind.

Thanks a bunch for the info, SJetski71!

I went ahead and ordered from Amazon, mainly for the reasons you stated. They had free super saver shipping, and it was also eligible for Amazon Prime (although others have stated it was NOT eligible for Prime for them).

Lastly, I think I read somewhere that the JUL10OFF code for Amazon only works for orders using Amazon Credit Cards, as it did not work for me.

Ok i have been trying to stay away from 120hz because the tv's look like they are in fast forward to me, If monitors are different i will think about it.

Ok i have been trying to stay away from 120hz because the tv's look like they are in fast forward to me, If monitors are different i will think about it.

This is a silly quote. You need to do some more research.

SJetski71's comment about 120hz is correct, but most "120hz" HDTVs (including mine) can turn off the fake 120hz on demand so the issue is irrelevant provided you don't buy into the hype.

Use JUL10OFF on amazon.com for 10% off.

This will only work if you are using an Amazon Rewards VISA.
Anyways, I jumped on this. Seems like a good stop gap between the 32" 720p set I'm using now and my target large format unit in the future.

Input lag measurements?
A quick search leads me to think it hasn't been tested, but those european testing sites don't always come up in a google search, or their model numbers may be slightly different than ours.

But two things lead me to think that it "may" have less input lag compared to your average LCD TV.

1) It's a lower end model but it still has the better CineSpeed panel. Lower end sets tend to have less of the chips/filters/doodads that create higher input lag.

2) Toshibas seem to have gotten better during 2010/2011 with input lag, on average. Though it doesn't mean this set will have low input lag.

SJetski71's comment about 120hz is correct, but most "120hz" HDTVs (including mine) can turn off the fake 120hz on demand so the issue is irrelevant provided you don't buy into the hype.

Why would a research into something i don't care about, I have no intention of buying a 120hz LCD TV i will just stick to my 55" Panasonic vierra plasma, I have seen 120hz lcd's in stores and it bugged me so i stayed away from them.

before you go all nuts there are some advantages to plasma

1. color reproduction is typically better than LCD
2. they have superior black levels
3. they perform better in lower light situations

Viewing angles are better too.

If you're ever going to be watching from an angle other than basically dead center, plasma's almost always better than LCD except maybe in a room that's got a lot of natural light. Then you need an LCD with torch mode.

Great deal though on a decent sized panel. It's weird how anything under 32" or so the panels are almost universally junk for tvs.

Viewing angles are better too.

If you're ever going to be watching from an angle other than basically dead center, plasma's almost always better than LCD except maybe in a room that's got a lot of natural light. Then you need an LCD with torch mode.

Great deal though on a decent sized panel. It's weird how anything under 32" or so the panels are almost universally junk for tvs.

IMO, LCD's make better monitors and bedroom sized TV's, but anything 50" and up, plasma's are typically better. My bedroom screen is a 40" Samsung A650 and it's served me very well. I'd buy it all over again today, but it's great to watch movies and sports on my 50" viera plasma....on a couch.

I digress, this is great deal for anyone who needs "mostly" a TV in a bedroom environment.

i got this tv last time it was on sale for like $425 or so. it has been great so far except for the fact that it has annoying coil whine coming from the back of it when powered on. even on mute it isn't loud enough to hear if you are sitting in front of it, but if you get up and walk past the tv into another room you can hear the buzzing. pretty annoying but not really worth sending back for a replacement.

somebody chime in and let me know if their tv has the same thing.

QFT. 120Hz on an HDTV is not even used when connected to a PC. The short answer is you want minimal input lag so you turn on the "gaming" mode which eliminates all processing (including 120Hz) so it can to reduce the lag to a minimum. I have been using my Toshiba 42inch for probably about 5 years and I cant tell the difference between using it in gaming mode compared to a regular LCD monitor when it comes to input lag. Toshiba does a nice job with their gaming mode and input lag in my experience anyway.

Gaming on a 60Hz HDTV is no different then gaming on an LCD @ 60Hz. Your LCD may very well be at 60Hz if you check. Its not a big deal at all.

I would jump on this deal if I didn't already have one.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bump this thread back up. My brother got this TV a while ago, but is having trouble setting it up as a PC monitor using a VGA connection. He just installed the latest nVidia drivers for his 9800GT, but hasn't messed with the control panel yet (he is not super tech-savy, so I am helping him over the phone/e-mail).

Setting it to Dot-by-dot seems to work partially, but only goes up to 1366x768.

He has an HDMI cable, so I asked him to try that to see if he can get 1080P to work. His eVGA 9800GT does have a native HDMI port.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Bought a 40" Samsung LCD a couple years ago to use as a monitor and gaming on it was so horrible, it looked like someone was smearing the image across the screen. Switched to a Panasonic plasma and its crystal clear, with no lag or ghosting. Night and day difference. I would never use an LCD TV as a monitor again.

Bought a 40" Samsung LCD a couple years ago to use as a monitor and gaming on it was so horrible, it looked like someone was smearing the image across the screen. Switched to a Panasonic plasma and its crystal clear, with no lag or ghosting. Night and day difference. I would never use an LCD TV as a monitor again.
The lesson here is that your specific model Samsung did not work well for you as a monitor, either because of the TV's characteristics, or your settings. And that other LCD television models back then would have worked better, but you decided to go plasma and lucked out with the model you chose.

:p

I do wish they made 32" or 37" 1080P plasmas, with decent quality and low input lag that is, i'd love to try one out. 42" is past my personal threshold for monitor use.

the only thing i would beware of is that most toshiba tv's even though 1080p wont allow 1080p through vga, i had a 60hz and a 120hz about a year ago (120hz within 1 year died and toshiba had to repair it 4 times then i sold it on ebay) and neither allowed 1080p over vga, and also input lag was not present both had a game mode.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bump this thread back up. My brother got this TV a while ago, but is having trouble setting it up as a PC monitor using a VGA connection. He just installed the latest nVidia drivers for his 9800GT, but hasn't messed with the control panel yet (he is not super tech-savy, so I am helping him over the phone/e-mail).

Setting it to Dot-by-dot seems to work partially, but only goes up to 1366x768.

He has an HDMI cable, so I asked him to try that to see if he can get 1080P to work. His eVGA 9800GT does have a native HDMI port.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

1080p requires HDMI.

Back