HOT? Droid $1.00 with new contract.

Jutsu

[H]ard|Gawd
http://mobility.dell.com/template/s...obility&refcode1=DMS_1119_004_HOTENAHOMEDROID

After looking into Dell's price on the Droid for another post on the forum, it seems that Dell is offering the Droid for $1.00 with a new 2 year contract. On the Verizon site they are still charging $199.00

Follow the link, the info and

Select whether you are a new or current customer
Choose 1 phone
Make sure it is the Droid, (I had the Droid Eris pop up once when I refreshed)
Enter your zipcode

At the next screen you should see the cost of the Droid tick all the way down to $1.00. Follow the step to select you plans, etc. I made it all the way to checkout screen with the $1.00 price.

nice deal, although what i found funny was

"DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm ltd...."

who would have thought.

If your considering getting the Motorola Droid (BA phone) through Dell, you NEED to remember that price changes everyday (sometimes it might stay the same price) at 12:00AM EST time. Yesterday I was checking out the Incredible on Dell, and the MD was priced at $19.99, exactly at 12:00 it changed to $1. Other days its free.

Man I wish I could ditch my iPhone for this even though where I live my AT&T actually gets better reception than when I had a verizon phone up till 2 years ago. Haven't had Sprint in probably 6-7 years so not sure how it compares in my area.

Im part of a family plan with my parents and brothers right now. I think it's actually 2 plans with 3 phones on each plan. Basically service, just voice with a certain amount of minutes...I can't even say for sure if it has texting (I find it annoying) and I doubt it has any kind of data plan associated with it. Runs probably 115-120 bucks a month after fees and such with 3 phones on each plan.

We've got a couple phones that are crapping out between the plans, and basically need to get some new phones...cheapest way is to renew the contract.

I have a fold over style phone that has an antenna on it, I don't care much for it due it's bulk and that antenna sticking me when I have it in my pocket..had it for years. Works fine, batter had to be replaced in it once.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any input on they think is the most reasonable plans on Verizon if you wanted to get a smartphone (I'd like the websearching and google map data personally). I know the plans will allow for up to 4-5 phones on the plan, but we pretty much have to have 5 for each of us..and the sixth phone is used when one breaks or we need an employee or someone to have a phone for the day. So it looks like we'd need 2 plans still.

Im looking at this dell deal seeing you can get 2 droid phones for free or 1 dollar depending on manufacturer, I could keep one and someone else could use the other..or sell it and replace it with a cheaper phone on the plan. But the plan information is one of those things that everyone gives you different information unless they actually own and use a specific plan and have been burned by misinformation from Verizon. My experience is that it's a lesson in futility to try to call them for information or talk to one of their sales guys.

So Im hoping someone who is checking this out may have some experience with the various plans and recommendations.

Definitely a great price for a good phone. I picked up a brand new Droid from a buddy for $100 so I didn't have to renew my contract. So far I am loving it.

The Droid Shadow is due out sometime in the next couple of months and will have some nice, updated features.

checked on the site and it says you can renew your contract and still get the phone (or phones) for $1.. seriously considering this.. upgrading mine and my wife's phones.. currently Blackberry Curve 8330's...

*EDIT* well strike that.. fine print says that its for new Verizon Customers only... shoulda read closer the first time.. :(

Last edited:
Dang..unfortunately that's not the Droid I'm looking for. I guess I'll have to move along. :(

I love my Droid got it free :) after my 3rd blackberry storm died on me of no falt of my own (and yelling at the right manager). Best smart phone I have had yet hands down.

veterator

I clicked on 3 phones, all droid and it gives you 2 for $1 and the 3rd for $49. Great deal for 3 droid phones. The page shows a 1400 minute plan with 3 phones with data, messaging and unlimited calls to 10 people for $99. So 2 plans of identical setup would be $200. Or you can pick different phones and get the $1 droid, a free eris, and a free LG chocolate. Play with different configurations as it seems like an amazing offer and I would act as fast as possible.

Just pick the 3 phone option and put in your zip. Dont worry that all 3 are droid, you can change that on the next page.

I'm a bit confused about this, because when I clicked on 2 phones, it gave me $99/mo for two lines with 700 minutes and unlimited text/data. But if you go to Verizon, it's $99/mo for just 700 minutes and unlimited texting, but no data. I think something is wrong with the site when it totals up the monthly charge, because it should be more like $160/mo.

with verizon you have to be careful on their plans... Their advertisments for the plans do not include the 29.99 minimum data plan required for "smart phones" on their plan. My current plan is 2 phones on the 1400 minutes with no text messaging and it equals out to $170 a month give or take...so my plan is 89.99 per month for the 1400 min plan... 9.99 for the extra phone.. and then 29.99 x2 for both "smart phones".... sucks.. but at least they give me 19% discount for law enforcement.... other than that its kinda high...

with verizon you have to be careful on their plans... Their advertisments for the plans do not include the 29.99 minimum data plan required for "smart phones" on their plan. My current plan is 2 phones on the 1400 minutes with no text messaging and it equals out to $170 a month give or take...so my plan is 89.99 per month for the 1400 min plan... 9.99 for the extra phone.. and then 29.99 x2 for both "smart phones".... sucks.. but at least they give me 19% discount for law enforcement.... other than that its kinda high...

Until consumers stand up and say enough, cell phone carriers will continue with these extravagant charges for smart phones and texting. There is absolutely no way texting should cost extra since it hardly uses any bandwidth, but consumers just roll over and tell the wireless carriers to do whatever they please.

Until consumers stand up and say enough, cell phone carriers will continue with these extravagant charges for smart phones and texting. There is absolutely no way texting should cost extra since it hardly uses any bandwidth, but consumers just roll over and tell the wireless carriers to do whatever they please.

Yeah I kept asking myself how text messages equate such an extra surcharge over voice. Text should require so much less overhead than voice that it would seem they would be encouraging it with "text only" packages. But I guess since they can make more money off charging and requiring you to carry a minimum voice package they will continue to do so.

I think it's funny how voice minutes can be shared across a plan for multiple phones, but when it comes to text and data each phone has to be charged seperately...you can't buy a unlimited package deal for all phones in the package....it's voice for all, then data/text on a per phone basis within the package. I mean I realize it cost them a lot of money to setup and maintain the network but these plans shouldn't keep increasing in price on a per service basis.

Yeah I kept asking myself how text messages equate such an extra surcharge over voice. Text should require so much less overhead than voice that it would seem they would be encouraging it with "text only" packages. But I guess since they can make more money off charging and requiring you to carry a minimum voice package they will continue to do so.

I think it's funny how voice minutes can be shared across a plan for multiple phones, but when it comes to text and data each phone has to be charged seperately...you can't buy a unlimited package deal for all phones in the package....it's voice for all, then data/text on a per phone basis within the package. I mean I realize it cost them a lot of money to setup and maintain the network but these plans shouldn't keep increasing in price on a per service basis.
For my TMobile plan it was $20 for all the phones on the plan to have unlimited txt whether you had 2 or 5. I had 5. Then I went to a contractless plan and unlimited txt is built into the plan, you just decide on minutes. Not bad if you like Tmobile.

Hmm, the phone sells for 400 on ebay and the termination fee is 175... Free money? Better yet, it looks like you can get two phones for 1 dollar each.

Nevermind, looks like they changed their termination fee earlier this year to 350.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure there is a waiting period or something.

Yeah, added to cart and there is a $29.99 data fee for each phone. 2 first phones are free on the plan, 3rd and more phones are 9.99/mo. With 3 droids total monthly is $189.95. But, you could get 2 normal phones and the main droid for $144.97/month but that only has 250 messages on the phones.

The data plane on each phone is crazy. I know alot of the other companies are lowering there's to like 19.99 But the big V keeps sticking it to us with 29.99.

Back