HOT: Barebones Ryzen 9 6900HX Mini - $484

I put my UM690 together and it's running great. This will replace an old Intel i3 mini PC that I've been using as a file server for the past 5 years.

I put my UM690 together and it's running great. This will replace an old Intel i3 mini PC that I've been using as a file server for the past 5 years.
My only real critiques are that the enclosure is a bit flimsy - and the moronic rubber feet/screws situation.

When I put the replacement feet on I'm going to drill a hole into the spots that prevent screw access.

Otherwise it's everything I hoped. The power supply even seems to not be garbage.

My only real critiques are that the enclosure is a bit flimsy - and the moronic rubber feet/screws situation.

When I put the replacement feet on I'm going to drill a hole into the spots that prevent screw access.

Otherwise it's everything I hoped. The power supply even seems to not be garbage.
Is the CPU (single/multithreaded) performance reasonable? Just curious on how this performs vs full sized desktop parts.

Is the CPU (single/multithreaded) performance reasonable? Just curious on how this performs vs full sized desktop parts.

I haven't dug too deep yet. The only real bench I ran earlier was CPU-Z vs a 5950X.

But everything I've read on the 6900HX puts it squarely in 5700X-territory.

Attachments

• 798422_Screenshot_2023-01-23_093728.png
    798422_Screenshot_2023-01-23_093728.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
I haven't dug too deep yet. The only real bench I ran earlier was CPU-Z vs a 5950X.

But everything I've read on the 6900HX puts it squarely in 5700X-territory.
I'm used to GeekBench scores. My mobile 8-core i9 scores above 1000 on that in single core. So surely if this compares to a 5700x, then 600 must be pretty good.

Here's a selection of GB results from this exact model.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/search?utf8=✓&q=Um690+6900hx
Thanks for taking the time! It definitely looks like a really nice low-powered beast. If the hardware is remotely good, like you indicate, then it definitely seems like very high bang for the buck. Better than a NUC for most. Though you can get a 12-core 12th gen NUC if you don't care about power.

EDIT: Here's how it compares to my Mac for reference:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/19995854?baseline=20047709
That's not my score, but this machine has the same specs. So, good enough.

Edit2: odd to me that I can’t see GPUs in this. I know it’s supposed to be a cpu test, but a lot of those functions are accelerated by GPU’s these days. I didn’t get that Vega 20 for nothing.

Last edited:
Damn maybe this would be a good upgrade for my Dad's G620 with 4GB RAM in an Antec SLK3700AMB :)

You could always connect an E-GPU to the USB4 type C connection (front left) if you want to game at higher resolutions.
Interesting thought but I just glanced at prices of those things, I might as well go small ITX rig at that rate

Super cute. Just wish they made one with GPU options other than APU. I know the 6900hx igpu is better than intel's, but I want something that can at least rock out 1080p/60.

Interesting thought but I just glanced at prices of those things, I might as well go small ITX rig at that rate

Just keep in mind that this thing is the size of two Top Ramen bags and under $500. A dGPU is not in the cards anytime soon I imagine.

I bought overkiill RAM for this thing, excited to see they are shipping! No tracking for me yet..

I bought overkiill RAM for this thing, excited to see they are shipping! No tracking for me yet..
What'd you get? I was going to go for speed but I decided G.Skill's 4800/CL34-34-34 seemed like a good compromise.

You probably won't get tracking. My order just showed up. No email notifications from the MiniForums site.

What'd you get? I was going to go for speed but I decided G.Skill's 4800/CL34-34-34 seemed like a good compromise.
Crucial DDR5-5600/46-46-45-45, managed to grab some from their site when it happened to be in stock.

Last edited:
Has anyone else gotten theirs? I ordered on the 11th of this month..

Has anyone else gotten theirs? I ordered on the 11th of this month..

Website says shipping end of February. If you need it sooner than that, Amazon has the barebone for $510 right now in stock.

If someone buys my Deck that I have up sale, I think I'm going to get one of these.

Can verify the Crucial DDR5-5600/46-46-45-45 kit works at full speed with this system. You just have to manually tell it to run at that speed.

As a follow up to this, is Mini's Forum or another mini PC builder going to be making a Ryzen 9 7945HX machine, that has reasonable cooling, and USB4/Thunderbolt 3?

I mean... Seems likely. But these little outfits are never first out of the gate with systems based around new CPUs. Not even close.

This 6900HX is still technically a pre-order. Even its competitors are also only a few months old.

Last edited:
Or 13900HX. I'll assume for the most part it will be comprable to the 7945HX. Though the Intel seems to have a much higher TDP, more than likely requiring better cooling, and likely has better top performance.

As for the machine in this thread, it's pretty wide-spread. It's on Amazon, albeit in top spec config only. Has a bunch of reviews there.
https://www.amazon.com/MINISFORUM-6...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's really not. That's 28 reviews across all the different Intel and AMD configurations of completely different machines you can select on that page.
My point was more related to availability. They're out in the wild and have been reviewed and used by normal people. (Heck, you have one in your sig).
If you wanted to see 'professional reviews', then tons of those also exist from a bunch of different tech-tubers.

You asked a question. I answered it with a correct answer. *shrugs*

Reviewers always get systems quickly - and are usually sent them for the purpose of reviewing before needing to return them.

Anyways, the 7945HX has a fraction of the 6900HX's GPU power. So in-all it's arguably a downgrade.

Or 13900HX. I'll assume for the most part it will be comprable to the 7945HX. Though the Intel seems to have a much higher TDP, more than likely requiring better cooling, and likely has better top performance.

As for the machine in this thread, it's pretty wide-spread. It's on Amazon, albeit in top spec config only. Has a bunch of reviews there.
https://www.amazon.com/MINISFORUM-6...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I'm pretty sure the Intel 13900HX is a beast, it's essentially a desktop 13900K with a clockspeed limit. It's not a cut down desktop chip. It supposedly destroys all other laptop processors easily.

I'm pretty sure the Intel 13900HX is a beast, it's essentially a desktop 13900K with a clockspeed limit. It's not a cut down desktop chip. It supposedly destroys all other laptop processors easily.
It's probably preferable to have that chip over the AMD 7945HX, but the issue is likely cooling and availability/price. If Intel made a NUC with that chip in it, it would be on my short-list for sure.
The advantage of the 7945HX other than power/heat is ECC memory.

My point was more related to availability. They're out in the wild and have been reviewed and used by normal people. (Heck, you have one in your sig).
If you wanted to see 'professional reviews', then tons of those also exist from a bunch of different tech-tubers.

I saw the barebones on Amazon for $510 (~$25 over the price here with 2 day delivery). They are definitely out there. I opted for an older, slower, cheaper model personally as it was a backup system, but I could have definitely had one up and running from Amazon within the past two weeks.

Super cute. Just wish they made one with GPU options other than APU. I know the 6900hx igpu is better than intel's, but I want something that can at least rock out 1080p/60.
Their Elitemini B550 has a dock (the chassis has a 16x PCIe edge that snaps in); I have one but haven't leveraged that yet, but it's limited to 65W parts; mine has a 5700G.

Now look at this: https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-um773-lite?_pos=1&_sid=9b4139b06&_ss=r

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5138vs4867/AMD-Ryzen-7-7735HS-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-6900HX

Minisforum UM773 Lite
Processor
AMD Ryzen™ 7 7735HS , 8 Cores/16 Threads
Graphics
AMD Radeon™ 680M (Graphics Frequency 2200 MHz)
Memory
DDR5 Dual channel (SODIMM Slots ×2, up to 64GB)
Storage
M.2 2280 PCIe4.0 SSD
Storage Expansion
1×2.5 inch SATA HDD Slot (SATA 3.0 6.0Gb/s)
Wireless Connectivity
M.2 2230 WIFI Support (Wi-Fi,BlueTooth)
Video Output
HDMI (4K@60Hz) ×2
USB4 ×1
Audio Output
HDMI ×2
3.5mm Combo Jack ×1
Ports & Buttons
RJ45 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Port ×1
USB3.2 Gen2 Type-C ×1 (Data Transfer, Right)
USB3.2 Gen2 Type-A ×2
USB2.0 Type-A ×2
USB4 Type-C ×1 (Left)
HDMI ×2
Clear CMOS ×1
DMIC ×1
3.5mm Combo Jack ×1
Power
DC 19V (adapter included)
System
Windows 11 Pro

Now look at this: https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-um773-lite?_pos=1&_sid=9b4139b06&_ss=r

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5138vs4867/AMD-Ryzen-7-7735HS-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-6900HX

Minisforum UM773 Lite
Processor
AMD Ryzen™ 7 7735HS , 8 Cores/16 Threads
Graphics
AMD Radeon™ 680M (Graphics Frequency 2200 MHz)
Memory
DDR5 Dual channel (SODIMM Slots ×2, up to 64GB)
Storage
M.2 2280 PCIe4.0 SSD
Storage Expansion
1×2.5 inch SATA HDD Slot (SATA 3.0 6.0Gb/s)
Wireless Connectivity
M.2 2230 WIFI Support (Wi-Fi,BlueTooth)
Video Output
HDMI (4K@60Hz) ×2
USB4 ×1
Audio Output
HDMI ×2
3.5mm Combo Jack ×1
Ports & Buttons
RJ45 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Port ×1
USB3.2 Gen2 Type-C ×1 (Data Transfer, Right)
USB3.2 Gen2 Type-A ×2
USB2.0 Type-A ×2
USB4 Type-C ×1 (Left)
HDMI ×2
Clear CMOS ×1
DMIC ×1
3.5mm Combo Jack ×1
Power
DC 19V (adapter included)
System
Windows 11 Pro

I'm pretty sure the 7735HS is just a rebranded 6900HX. My understanding is the "3" in the model number is the Zen version. So it would still be a Zen 3 CPU variant like the 6900HX. The true next gen would be a "4" in the 3rd digit.

Looks like it's a little more power hungry and boosts slightly less (100Mhz) than the 6900HX. I would probably save money and buy the cheaper version anyway though.

Yeah, I saw that this morning on their Facebook page and was looking at the specs.

Seems essentially identical to the UM690 in my OP, but for only $409. And the UM690 has gone from $499 to $519 and the EMUCOUPON no longer works at all.

I'll soothe my envy of the price by telling myself that the UM690 probably has a better heatsink or power supply or something. I'm sure the $90 came from somewhere. :p

Back