HoN or Lol?

^ which is what i've been trying to say, in LoL if your teammates sucks and feed the crap out of the other team, if you're good you can still prevent yourself from dying. But in DoTa and HoN(I only played beta) its pretty much gg, you cant run away period unless you just afk in base or ward the crap out of the entire map and see them coming after you from very far away and run away really early

^ which is what i've been trying to say, in LoL if your teammates sucks and feed the crap out of the other team, if you're good you can still prevent yourself from dying. But in DoTa and HoN(I only played beta) its pretty much gg, you cant run away period unless you just afk in base or ward the crap out of the entire map and see them coming after you from very far away and run away really early

Thats not what you originally said.

^ what i originally said is the games imbalanced which is caused by hero imbalanced which is because of what i stated above

^ what i originally said is the games imbalanced which is caused by hero imbalanced which is because of what i stated above

There is a difference between a hero imbalance and someone feeding. Stop trying to argue a silly point.

100% agreed. If other team has say scout, and team lets him get farmed with no hard carry to counter...it is gg.

Not to sound like a "fanboi" but that really isn't a negative about this type of game. If I let my Protoss opponent build a mothership and 5 carriers while I just have a medium bio-ball I will get rolled. There is a strategy of NOT letting that farm happen .Things like this are more uneven in pub games where your teammates may not all be on the same page with you about denying the farm to that particular enemy hero. If scout does get that farm he SHOULD roll on everyones faces. It's just how the game is.

Yes, FPS run different, but again they are an entirely different genre and have a different set of rules for balancing.

EDIT: infect0 I am not disagreeing with you, just quoted your post to comment on this whole idea. I think people get the misconception that a fed hero is unfair.

I enjoy the champion archetypes in LoL more than HoN. I think it leads to a wider range of diverse strategies possible.

In HoN, the hard carries really are what they are, hard carries. They are unstoppable with items such as BKB which means you either DPS them down really really fast (but unlikely given that his teammates should be supporting him with stuns/hexes/etc). In LoL, while Yi or Tryndamere can stomp face pretty hard, your team still has a chance to kill them whereas in HoN once they're farmed, it's instant GG. A lot of HoN play comes down to who has the stronger carry vs LoL where an AoE team comp can stomp or a healing comp or a super pushing comp without a true hard carry.

That's just my .02 but I'm sure HoN fanboys will tell me I'm bad or wrong or whatever.

Those of you who want to play LoL or have some coaching just add me @ congalong.

Yi, I wih I went up against more yi's, so easy to counter with exhaust or thornmail, they basically kill themselves.

One thing I find more different in LoL is the more importance of tanks not simply to soak up dmg, but to draw threat via taunts, stun, silences, etc.

In HoN the stuns generally come from the support roles and such rather then the tank roles.

Playing as a tank like Shen/Rammus, you feel like your prescense has more of an impact for the entire team rather then say lilke in HoN, playing someone likle Armadon or such where it's more of a tank who can do dmg with a slow but no way to make someone focus you.

I haven't played HoN in a while though (A good 4'ish months) so I might be forgetting some things.

The hard carry argument is a weak one. I win the majority of my games without a carry or before the carries come into play. HoN is very ill-suited to pubbing because of team composition being such a huge factor. With a preassembled 4 or 5 person team it's a lot more fun. LoL may be better suited to punning with it's balance and hero composition. This may be something else players pick up on. Because in pub HoN games the carries absolutely do make a big impact. I always play with 3-4 clan mates on HoN so my experience is vastly different than most I am sure. Also the higher up you play in HoN the less carries get played.

LoL probably is much different in this regard. Having only played LoL briefly I can't speak much to it's balance. Perhaps a LoL player could comment on that.

Your comment about the difference in tanks is very interesting. Any game with pvp must find a way to let tanks draw "aggro".

In HoN, the hard carries really are what they are, hard carries. They are unstoppable with items such as BKB which means you either DPS them down really really fast (but unlikely given that his teammates should be supporting him with stuns/hexes/etc). In LoL, while Yi or Tryndamere can stomp face pretty hard, your team still has a chance to kill them whereas in HoN once they're farmed, it's instant GG. A lot of HoN play comes down to who has the stronger carry vs LoL where an AoE team comp can stomp or a healing comp or a super pushing comp without a true hard carry.

That's just my .02 but I'm sure HoN fanboys will tell me I'm bad or wrong or whatever.

Those of you who want to play LoL or have some coaching just add me @ congalong.

Are we still trying to argue about this....did anyone even read the original complaint about HoN imbalance? I think not. Of course a farmed hard carry is going to rape if the other team did not keep up.

LoL and HoN have different play styles but to say a range is going to kill you from across the map in early game is an imbalance is 100% bs. Has nothing to do with HoN fanboys. I was attemping to make an unbiased statement saying both games have different styles but there is not a gaping hole of imbalance in either one that guarantee victory.

The hard carry argument is a weak one. I win the majority of my games without a carry or before the carries come into play. HoN is very ill-suited to pubbing because of team composition being such a huge factor. With a preassembled 4 or 5 person team it's a lot more fun. LoL may be better suited to punning with it's balance and hero composition. This may be something else players pick up on. Because in pub HoN games the carries absolutely do make a big impact. I always play with 3-4 clan mates on HoN so my experience is vastly different than most I am sure. Also the higher up you play in HoN the less carries get played.

LoL probably is much different in this regard. Having only played LoL briefly I can't speak much to it's balance. Perhaps a LoL player could comment on that.

Your comment about the difference in tanks is very interesting. Any game with pvp must find a way to let tanks draw "aggro".

I agree with this and was the entire point I was trying to make. There is no imbalance in that one hero can wipe out the entire team without having any skill as a player. Also every hero can wreck havok if the player/team have skill.

Are we still trying to argue about this....did anyone even read the original complaint about HoN imbalance? I think not. Of course a farmed hard carry is going to rape if the other team did not keep up.

LoL and HoN have different play styles but to say a range is going to kill you from across the map in early game is an imbalance is 100% bs. Has nothing to do with HoN fanboys. I was attemping to make an unbiased statement saying both games have different styles but there is not a gaping hole of imbalance in either one that guarantee victory.

Where did I ever say it was an imbalance? :rolleyes: I just said that's the feel of the playstyle vs. LoL.

@Parish, 5v5 scrims are a lot more interesting in either game vs pubbing. I do agree that pubbing playing a hard carry and farming well is the way to go. In LoL you can go either way really (though if you're in low ELO or just starting out, you probably just want to play carries until you get to a higher ELO, 1600+ unless your team appears to be fairly organized), tanks in LoL like Stiler said can make a HUGE difference in fights.

Just IMHO between the two games which I've played DoTA extensively for many years, and all of beta testing HoN and now LoL since beta testing I feel that support champs and tanks in LoL make a much bigger impact then they do in HoN/DoTA Edit: When it comes to team fights.

Last edited:
LoL ... In fact I am amazed that HoN even invluded denying. It was explicitly stated several times by almost every DotA dev that denying only existed due to engine limitations with Warcraft 3, and that given the choice it would be removed.

LoL ... In fact I am amazed that HoN even invluded denying. It was explicitly stated several times by almost every DotA dev that denying only existed due to engine limitations with Warcraft 3, and that given the choice it would be removed.

I personally like it. Means you dont have people slumming around in the lane with no worries. It also forces you to at least attempt to have a balanced lane.

I got into HON and LOL about the same time. I was excited for a DOTA replacement. I was turned off by HON's graphics though, they're not inferior by any means but I didnt' like it. I gave it a couple try's before I threw in the towel. LOL, now, this version makes me nostalgic, I rather enjoy this better than HON.

Back