Homeworld 3

Mchart

2[H]4U
Very good chance it's Homeworld 3. It was rumored for a while this is what they were working on besides the spin-off game they did.

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U
Very good chance it's Homeworld 3. It was rumored for a while this is what they were working on besides the spin-off game they did.
Hopefully its better than Deserts of Kharak, I was underwhelmed and disappointed by that game.

Mchart

2[H]4U
Hopefully its better than Deserts of Kharak, I was underwhelmed and disappointed by that game.
I really enjoyed deserts. I recommend going back and playing through the campaign again. On release it was missing a bunch of things that they added.

They nailed the feel of the Homeworld series which was the most important thing for me. They spent a lot of time on this, and the gameplay/campaign did suffer a little. However, if/when Homeworld 3 is announced a lot of this I feel is going to pay off.

I thought Homeworld: Cataclysm was the best in the series. Shame it couldn't be remastered as the source code is lost.

Ranulfo

[H]ard|Gawd
Its official, Homeworld 3 has been announced... and kickstarted/investing is on Fig. Already made their 100k asking price too. A few former Relic guys and others leading up a new studio, published by Gearbox.

Mchart

2[H]4U
They got my money. Been waiting years for this. I enjoyed Deserts of Kharak, but the lack of 3D space combat meant it wasn't a true sequel.

BHenry

Limp Gawd
It does seem weird to be a kickstart project and also already have a publisher.

Mchart

2[H]4U
My enthusiasm went down several notches....don't trust those asshats at Gearbox. They shouldn't be soliciting funds with a publisher in place, it reeks of Pitchford's sliminess.
Gearbox is only funding. All creative control is with blackbird Interactive which is filled with original Relic devs.

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U
Gearbox is only funding. All creative control is with blackbird Interactive which is filled with original Relic devs.
There are dual concerns, firstly Gearbox and Pitchford have proven themselves to be entirely untrustworthy so what they say about creative control means diddly squat in my eyes. The second concerns flows from the first concern, being why they need crowdfunding if there is a publisher in place which is apparently already funding development.

tybert7

2[H]4U
There are dual concerns, firstly Gearbox and Pitchford have proven themselves to be entirely untrustworthy so what they say about creative control means diddly squat in my eyes. The second concerns flows from the first concern, being why they need crowdfunding if there is a publisher in place which is apparently already funding development.
My main irritation with gearbox was them stalling and wasting time and not doing anything with the franchise. Now that homeworld 3 is a go, that allays most of my immediate concerns. We did not see any gameplay, but I hope the game engine gets a bigger upgrade than what we saw. Homeworld and modern graphics could be impressive.

Blade-Runner

2[H]4U
My main irritation with gearbox was them stalling and wasting time and not doing anything with the franchise. Now that homeworld 3 is a go, that allays most of my immediate concerns. We did not see any gameplay, but I hope the game engine gets a bigger upgrade than what we saw. Homeworld and modern graphics could be impressive.
We will see. Of course being a Gearbox game also means its probably an Epic Game Store exclusive, so there is also that irritation some people will have to deal with.

Ranulfo

[H]ard|Gawd
Yeah, its going to be interesting to see how the funding and influence plays out with this.

Ripskin

2[H]4U
Awesome, loved HW2, Kharack was fun and a different take but not as good. HW1 was a good intro and setup.

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
Yeah, its going to be interesting to see how the funding and influence plays out with this.
It already has AAA level backing, so the crowdfund aspect is really weird when factoring they'll probably double dip and take an Epic bribe right before release.

It's like they realized HomeWorld has a lot of built up goodwill and name recognition from old school fans, and wondered "how do we capitalize and extract their cash NOW, before an epic exclusivity announcement blows it all to hell and pisses everyone off?"

Essentially abusing crowdfunding as a pre-pre-order scheme. When you see the crowdfund page not say "Steam key" or "EGS Key" but instead "PC key", there's your warning.

Last edited:

Ranulfo

[H]ard|Gawd
It already has AAA level backing, so the crowdfund aspect is really weird when factoring they'll probably double dip and take an Epic bribe right before release.

It's like they realized HomeWorld has a lot of built up goodwill and name recognition from old school fans, and wondered "how do we capitalize and extract their cash NOW, before an epic exclusivity announcement blows it all to hell and pisses everyone off?"

Essentially abusing crowdfunding as a pre-pre-order scheme. When you see the crowdfund page not say "Steam key" or "EGS Key" but instead "PC key", there's your warning.
Yeah, I missed it at first but apparently their funding goal was just $1, that the investment and backing options are to allow fans to have more of a say in development and help fund the game. Given everything that is going on with Epic and Gearbox's own history, it doesn't look good. I'll stay optimistic and hopeful but no way can I back or invest in the game, not when it is 2.5 years out.