Homefront - March 2011

Just had to come post to call BS on this one, I bet you have an Xbox controller pluggeed in or something.

ScreenShot00004.jpg

I've only played through a bit of the SP and I like it. Lots of bad guys, lots of cover, several weapon choices etc. The opening intro was pretty sweet IMO, painted a pretty grim picture.

No reason to call BS. Correct statement is "I'm not getting that" Relax. The screenshot doesnt lie. Thats what was on my screen.

Now yes I admit to having a Logitech Dual Action gamepad plugged in. I have not tried to run back through that part of single player with it unplugged. However.... my problem with sprinting still persists with the controller unplugged.

However in the options my button is mapped to E to pick up weapon as primary and "button3" as secondary. In any regard why is it showing secondary keys in game?

I play SP a little more carefully and slowly but 3 things I noticed is during the same mission when you leave the safe camp and there is a sentry out in the middle and you have to hope a fence to get to a van to duck behind. I couldn't hop over the fence I would get stuck and die. Then one time I fell out of the map and was behind the suburb... then leaving the tigerdirect store the two characters just went through the door and didn't move the fridge that seems to block every door and I had to restart from last checkpoint. I think this would have made a awesome movie. The opening cut scene with actual people and stuff was very well done.

I don't feel cheated out of my money or upset I just hope they patch a couple things and there continues to a be a fan base. At least game updates are easily done instead of the games in the early 90's were what was shipped is what you got.

I think this would have made a awesome movie. The opening cut scene with actual people and stuff was very well done.

I agree. The opening movie really got me excited to play the game. I was hype, I wanted to kick some korean ass! Worst part is... its plausible. haha!

Just had to come post to call BS on this one, I bet you have an Xbox controller pluggeed in or something.

ScreenShot00004.jpg

Def not BS, I have my Saitek X52 and the stupid game auto maps all the buttons and puts those as higher priority than the keyboard. I remember thinking "wtf is button 4?". Prolly have to .ini edit to fix it but meh, it's still a PITA.

I have a fairly good idea of what to expect from the SP, so I'm thinking of waiting until the game goes on sale.

However, there are a few good reviews regarding the MP, and I have a feeling that if I wait for the game to go on sale (which could be months) I might miss out on some good and fun MP.

How is the dedicated server list? is there a lobby or a server browser?
Is there Hardcore mode or something similar?
How are the vehicles? easy to handle? overpowered?

Thanks!

I did notice that playing at 1920x1200 the gun graphics became a little stretched. in leezards screen off is easily visible but at my res for some reason it looks stretched and a little hard to read.

I have a fairly good idea of what to expect from the SP, so I'm thinking of waiting until the game goes on sale.

However, there are a few good reviews regarding the MP, and I have a feeling that if I wait for the game to go on sale (which could be months) I might miss out on some good and fun MP.

How is the dedicated server list? is there a lobby or a server browser?
Is there Hardcore mode or something similar?
How are the vehicles? easy to handle? overpowered?

Thanks!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/04/homefront-dedicated-servers-detailed/ not sure if its linked but it talks a little about dedi's

no hardcore mode...

no hardcore mode...

i haven't actually played the game, but from what i've read the MP is 'hardcore' in comparison to what we typically call hardcore mode. don't people go down with just a few hits to the torso? i've read that it feels like you die very easily in this game.

i haven't actually played the game, but from what i've read the MP is 'hardcore' in comparison to what we typically call hardcore mode. don't people go down with just a few hits to the torso? i've read that it feels like you die very easily in this game.

yeah the kill type is like that but there are hip shot cross hairs from what I remember which I don't like.

Its like a ghost recon death 1 hit okay, 2 hits dead.

yeah the kill type is like that but there are hip shot cross hairs from what I remember which I don't like.

Its like a ghost recon death 1 hit okay, 2 hits dead.

ok thanks for the confirmation. that element of Homefront is off-putting to me. i liked hardcore mode in COD4, but every game since then it's been less and less fun for me. i play hardcore occasionally in BC2 and Black Ops, but for the most part i just find it infuriating.

I think i'll give this a go after the dedi files come out and i can host my own. I'm all about hosting my own server.

Maybe if he's one of those lame assholes who skips all the cut scenes on their first play through completely skipping the story just so he could say "dudes, it's not that long. It only took me 3 HOURS TO BEAT IT."

I didn't watch every cut scene because I frankly god bored with them. Although the first one I watched a few times. But in terms of ACTUAL gameplay. there is very little. Chapters are short and there is only 7 of them. I watched the cutscenes between the first 4 chapters.. so there is no way the last three cut scenes are an 1 hour long each..

Nice opening, really was fantastic. Gameplay is decent - once you turn off all the mouse accelleration. Voice work is good but so far it seems a bit lacking in SP. I am at the football field now.

I just started Chapter 7 I think, and overall I'm not disappointed with the single player game, but I can't say I'm impressed either.

First, to all you people blasting through the content, are you playing it on the easiest setting or something higher? I'm playing it on the second hardest mode, and I have to admit I am pretty frustrated with the AI. The same problem I have had with virtually every first person shooter single player game is that the enemy always knows exactly where you are and is always shooting at you instead of anyone else as long as they have line of sight to you. Stealth means jack nothing when the second you peek around the corner of a box on the opposite side of the area you are being shot at by the computer controlled enemies.

Secondly, I think I can count on one had the total number of enemies the other people on my team have actually killed. They are just there to make noise and yell at me because I'm taking too long to shoot the bad guys. Honestly, I don't think they are capable of killing any bad guys. I was crouched behind a box reloading, with Connor standing to my left about 2 feet away from me, and Rhianna standing 3 feet on my right, and a KPA guy walks around the box to my left, on the other side of Connor, and kills me while Connor stands there and tells me to target the jeep with Goliath. It would be nice if my teammates would actually shoot someone once in a while.

Like someone above already mentioned, I was really hoping for more of a tactical shooter where there wasn't just endless streams of bad guys to kill and where killing someone meant something. That's what the devs said in their pre-release videos, but 10 minutes in, I was mowing down waves of KPA soldiers like so much wheat.

Ammo interchangeability is stupid, as has been said here already. It's all 5.56 or 7.62 and should work just fine from gun to gun. I hate finding a gun I really like only to have to switch out 2 minutes later because I can't pick up any more ammo for it.

Visually, I think the game is pretty nice, even though the Unreal engine is showing it's age. My computer handles it pretty well on one of the highest default settings.

I didn't like that I couldn't remap the aircraft controls the way I wanted to. It made the whole helicopter chase level very frustrating. Hopefully multiplayer works out better.

I've heard really bad things about the multiplayer being completely overrun by snipers. I wish game developers would recognize that as long as killing gives as many (or close to as many) points as taking objectives, or whatever else the mode calls for, there will always be people who just sit back and pad their stats and feel all big and tough because they have a 30:1 kill/death ratio. Seriously. Make kills worth 1 point each, and taking an objective worth 50, or defending and objective worth 50, or whatever. Make sure that the people who are working as a team, contributing to the team and the objectives, and aren't just wasting a server slot are the ones getting rewarded for "winning". Coming from BF:BC2, there are few things more frustrating that being the only player on my team who is trying to defuse the MCOMM, attacking the enemy tanks, planting the MCOMM, defending the objectives, retaking control points, etc while the other 7 or 15 people on my team are sitting in a bush on the ridge with no deaths and 20 kills watching our team lose the round. I truly believe there should be a mod that randomly makes teamkilling snipers worth like 5K points. I would play on that server. ;)

Last edited:
The same problem I have had with virtually every first person shooter single player game is that the enemy always knows exactly where you are and is always shooting at you instead of anyone else as long as they have line of sight to you.

i agree with you on this, and it's why i prefer FPS games where you go it alone. it breaks the immersion when the enemy only targets you while you clearly have AI teammates threatening them as well. it's just not believable and i suddenly become very aware that i'm playing a video game. i'm no longer engrossed in it. i suppose the problem is solved when you don't have any AI teammates tagging along. then it makes sense that the enemy is only targeting you.

The same problem I have had with virtually every first person shooter single player game is that the enemy always knows exactly where you are and is always shooting at you instead of anyone else as long as they have line of sight to you. Stealth means jack nothing when the second you peek around the corner of a box on the opposite side of the area you are being shot at by the computer controlled enemies.

People can bash Crysis all they want (i for one loved it), but their AI was pretty good for not being psychic and instantly knowing where you were. You can cloak right in front of an enemy, run behind them, uncloak and they wouldnt know where you were.

BC2 single player was the same as this. There was no flanking them to run behind them. They immediately knew where you were even though they didnt have line of sight on you.

well just finished, I like the story, I liked Red Dawn.

it still was short, 3 hours and I watched every single cut scene because I liked them and wanted to keep up with the story, even got stuck on some location died a few times here n there.

The NPCs got annoying having to wait for them to open things, I even had to restart a couple time on some spots because I apperently was in a spot where the NPC needed to go. Then they proceeded to block me into the corner and I couldn't get out of it.

The amount of guns was really nice, I had to really sit n think what do I wanna carry with me?!
I haven't played MP yet, I have a few friends that pre-ordered it waiting to get with them to play online together. Also a few that are waiting for us to say yes or no so they will try it.

I maxed out everything as far as settings go on my 6870.

I don't care much for hitting a button to go up ladders and having no control over it.

Meh,No thanks on buying a game without hardcore mode.

Can't stand crosshairs and bloated health.

Just kills all immersion into the game.

Meh,No thanks on buying a game without hardcore mode.

Can't stand crosshairs and bloated health.

Just kills all immersion into the game.

though there are cross hairs, there is no bloated health. for "normal" mode it is really easy to die.

All the guns are essentially the same. They all do the same damage, have similar fire rates, and hold the same amount of ammunition.

I agree with someone who posted earlier, why rifles that all accept STANAG/AR15 magazines and are 5.56mm don't share ammunition pickups is beyond me.

I was wholly unimpressed, and honestly the "kill the American survivalists to save some other Americans" mission pissed me off. Totally killed any tension or immersion the game had built up. They are ok with you slaughtering Koreans in a fight...but using the Nork POWs as labor and executing them....yeah that's taboo.

What-ever. Kaos screwed the pooch imho.

Anyone know of a good tweak guide. I also need to find a way to bind yaw controls to my mouse.

Anyone know of a good tweak guide. I also need to find a way to bind yaw controls to my mouse.

Any guide for an Unreal Engine 3 game should work. There are a few extra graphics options in this, but the majority is the same. I haven't seen any in-dept guides just for this particular game.

For mouse bindings, look in "Documents" folder for the "My Games" folder and you'll see the Homefront folder. Dig in there for a file called "GCInput.ini" and you'll be able to mess with bindings.

i agree with you on this, and it's why i prefer FPS games where you go it alone. it breaks the immersion when the enemy only targets you while you clearly have AI teammates threatening them as well. it's just not believable and i suddenly become very aware that i'm playing a video game. i'm no longer engrossed in it. i suppose the problem is solved when you don't have any AI teammates tagging along. then it makes sense that the enemy is only targeting you.

I used to make this same complaint, but even some games that have your AI targeted/shooting back can be as bad, if not worse. I experimented with the last couple of MW/BO games and found I could just stand in one spot right between friendlies and enemies, watching them shoot around me and each other. Which was silly.

I experimented with the last couple of MW/BO games and found I could just stand in one spot right between friendlies and enemies, watching them shoot around me and each other.

Client: Doctor it hurts when I move my neck like this and extend my arm at percisley a 72 degree angle at 4:32 pm!

Doctor: Then don't do it!

Problem solved?

Client: Doctor it hurts when I move my neck like this and extend my arm at percisley a 72 degree angle at 4:32 pm!

Doctor: Then don't do it!

Problem solved?

And do what? I may as well shoot bottles off the wall or something then, if all it is is a shooting gallery with the false impression of peril.

Even at $20 for the MP, since I had a $20 Amazon coupon, I regret my purchase. I just can't get into the MP.

<mini-review>
I broke down and bought this game and so far I think it's decent. I'm about 2 hours into the campaign so far, and it feels like your standard COD shooting gallery setup with the only thing really setting it apart being the incredibly detailed environments. I would definitely commend the art team for making the world feel so alive. The graphics themselves range from average UE3-ness, to beautiful in a few scenes, with the lighting and motion blur really adding to the atmosphere.

My only gripe so far is that some of the animation and movements feel very clunky (e.g., when you bump into your team mates or move through doors). Also, I'm not sure if it's just my PC, but the game has this constant feel of micro-stuttering, which is especially noticeable when panning around. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I've tried every combination of vsync and FPS smoothing and it always feels the same.

Finally, I will say that, despite what I've heard and the small issues I'm having, this certainly feels a lot less like a console port than most recent titles; the menus are easy to navigate, there are plenty of graphics/control settings, and there's even a FOV slider right in the menu. And if you're not using a gamepad, it does display the correct button mappings in-game (e.g., "Press E to pickup weapons").

Overall, I'd say it's your standard 8.0 (average to good) game. I was personally drawn to it due to the setting/story and being bored with BC2, but I'd still say it's at least worth picking up when it gets to the sub-$20 range even if you're on the fence (if you're busy playing other games or are just not that interested, it's probably not worth full price). I'm hoping the multiplayer will be decent, but I've heard there's already some balance issues to work out, so I guess I'll see how that goes. It would be nice to have something else besides BC2 to tide me over until BF3 ;).

Not to seem like a troll or anything, but did you guys actually think this game was going to be Great (A), Good (B) or Average (C)? I really feel sorry for the people to thought this game was going to be B or better. I was hoping by some slim chance this game would turn out to be awesome, but I never got my hopes up and caved to the pre-order. I have never heard of the developer, nor does THQ have a great track record of publishing great shooters. The current metacritic score of 72 seems fitting for this game.

I haven't played it, nor do I have the desire to, maybe when it hits $5 on Steam in Nov/Dec for the SP only.

I think today is the last day for the D2D 20% discount, so I'm really thinking about picking this up.

Could someone please give a "mini review" about the MP (someone who has played both the COD and BF franchises would help, as comparisons can be made).

If the MP is fun, I'll pick it up.
If not, I'll wait for a steam sale to get it for the SP.

Thanks!

I think today is the last day for the D2D 20% discount, so I'm really thinking about picking this up.

Could someone please give a "mini review" about the MP (someone who has played both the COD and BF franchises would help, as comparisons can be made).

If the MP is fun, I'll pick it up.
If not, I'll wait for a steam sale to get it for the SP.

Thanks!

Imagine a mixture between COD:MW2, BFBC2 and good old Day of Defeat. Can you somehow imagine that?

Well, it´s nothing like that.

On a more serious note: It´s not as bad as many people make it look like. The gfx are ok, the sound a little on the thin side but overall it´s not that bad. I probably wouldn´t pay full price for it but it´s a solid $30 buy imho. There are 3 modes in multiplayer, the weapons are fairly balanced, the unlocks are easy enough to come by and the gimmicks (remote heli and such) are fun. Overall not too bad but not too great either. Once you take mouse smoothing out and get the hang of the gameplay and the maps, it can be good solid fun.

Imagine a mixture between COD:MW2, BFBC2 and good old Day of Defeat. Can you somehow imagine that?

Well, it´s nothing like that.

On a more serious note: It´s not as bad as many people make it look like. The gfx are ok, the sound a little on the thin side but overall it´s not that bad. I probably wouldn´t pay full price for it but it´s a solid $30 buy imho. There are 3 modes in multiplayer, the weapons are fairly balanced, the unlocks are easy enough to come by and the gimmicks (remote heli and such) are fun. Overall not too bad but not too great either. Once you take mouse smoothing out and get the hang of the gameplay and the maps, it can be good solid fun.

thank you for taking the time :)

I appreciate and it gives me a decent idea of what to expect.

another question: how is the community? are there quite a few players or is it mostly empty? do we have a server browser?

Thanks!

There´s a server browser with favorites, direct IP entry and all the goodies. Also, there is a LAN mode for anyone interested. Currently, there´s tons of players, however it remains to be seen how many will play after say a month.

Many people said that there won´t be anyone playing MOH 2010 after a month but surprisingly there´s still a lot of players in that game as well, so only because people at [H] predict doom, doesn´t mean the game is actually gone.

eh, to be honest I would have loved to see the game set up as an american style stalker. The environment so far has that level of detail and variety.

Anyone know what the patch fixed? Steam downloaded a 48mb~ patch for Homefront. Haven't seen any release notes though.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just my PC, but the game has this constant feel of micro-stuttering, which is especially noticeable when panning around. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I've tried every combination of vsync and FPS smoothing and it always feels the same.

In GCInput.ini, set bMouseSmoothing (or whatever it's called -- not at my computer right now) to false. That should fix it, if it's what I think you mean.

and there's even a FOV slider right in the menu.

Note, however, that this only works in MP. In SP it is non-functional, and I've yet to find a way to adjust the clearly too zoomed-in FOV in SP.

One other thing -- the 'zoom toggle' rather than 'zoom only while held down' behavior annoyed me, but I found you can turn it off in the same GCInput.ini -- there's a line called bToggleZoom or something similar that you can set to false. Now if I could just find a way to do the same for sprinting.

^ Thanks, turning off mouse smoothing seemed to work. I have no idea why you'd have that on be default, especially when it seems to do the exact opposite of its name and make everything feel jerky.

And wow, I didn't even notice the FOV slider had no effect. Hopefully they'll patch it so it works in SP (shouldn't be that hard). In either event, I guess it hasn't really bothered me (though perhaps it will now that I notice).

Oh, and there's a setting in the menu for zoom toggle.

Back