Homefront - March 2011

I'll pass you a book on modern warfare. There's something called sea and air supremacy that will be needed to launch an invasion over an ocean. The US has aircraft and ships in a league of their own. Do you even know how many operational carriers Russia and China have combined?

Largest air force on Earth: U.S. Air Force. Second largest air force on Earth: U.S. Navy.

God Bless America :D

I'm pretty sure the main reason for buying this is the MP. I'm waiting to see how many people are on tonight to make my decision.

Based on what I've read so far, for the single player people only, this is a ten dollar title. At twenty-five, I'll buy Bulletstorm. I'll probably pay full price for Crysis 2 this summer.

Got it last night, Only played an hour or so of SP. They do try to add value to the SP campaign by adding achievements. MP also has weapon challenges. Not sure how the point system will work. Anyway it is good to play a game and see american themes. Lots of scenes with the bad NKs doing bad stuff. Lots of other scenes to add "color" and context, ie: an execution and then a crying child running to the bodies. I think there are 7 or 8 chapters. So far you are 1 of 3 with the other two being immortal NPCs. Not sure if you go alone later. Lots of weapon choices at the start. They feel pretty good. A lot of the same type mechanisms/key bindings from other military style games so they should be familiar. SP has prone, not sure if MP does. SP that I did so far involves going to an area, clearing it, *event happens*, move through, repeat. I don't say that as a bad thing, seems to work pretty well.

From what I've read about it so far is that the SP is really short but really good and the MP is a CoD clone but nothing all that original all around which is fine by me. 4 hours of game play is like forever for me, I've got way more games than I even feel like playing and I just LOVE a good SP shooter so I just got and will try it out tonight. Hope 2D Surround isn't problem, maybe even a little 3D luck I hope.

Only 5 minutes into it and already its pissing me off that I see "press button 3 to pick up pistol" and "press button 10 to throw grenade"

WTF if you're gonna port something at least take the console jargon out of it!

its not the controls, but the fact they refer to moments with button X rather than the corresponding keyboard control pays homage to the consoles.

During the "tutorial" I had to keep stopping and going into the options to find out what the buttons were. Button 9 plant c4... give me a break.

and is it just me or is the only way to stop running to stop moving altogether, press shift to run, but shift again does nothing, to stop running you have to either scope in or stop moving wtf

Last edited:
its not the controls, but the fact they refer to moments with button X rather than the corresponding keyboard control pays homage to the consoles.

During the "tutorial" I had to keep stopping and going into the options to find out what the buttons were. Button 9 plant c4... give me a break.

and is it just me or is the only way to stop running to stop moving altogether, press shift to run, but shift again does nothing, to stop running you have to either scope in or stop moving wtf

thats odd... I don't remember having that issue. But I get what your saying.

So why does Black Ops get high ratings.. its the exact same. Another reason to not listen to reviews..

cuz its name Call of Duty,

had this game been named Call of Homefront it automatically would have scored a 10.

Multiplayer doesnt seem bad. Its fairly CoDish. If there were some structure on spawning I'd be ok. But its all random.

The people on the other team were all GREEN. Very easy to pick out. Is it supposed to be like that? Do I appear green to them? How are you supposed to blend in?

Now I've only played 10 mins of single player before giving up on that.... horrid.

Multiplayer might grow on me.

Aww, isn't irrational patriotism cute!

lol please draw up your rational scenario where China can invade the US. Are they going to simply fly their troops over in commercial airliners while the US sits around helplessly or something?

lol please draw up your rational scenario where China can invade the US. Are they going to simply fly their troops over in commercial airliners while the US sits around helplessly or something?

No, they're going to make a human bridge over the ocean and the army will march over it.

The single player is a huge, huge dissapointment. I had high hopes and it's doing nothing new. Really abysmal. And im a survivalist wacko with guns and teotwaki ambitions, lol.

the Joystiq review does not paint a pretty picture of the SP:

There are monster closets. There are enemy wells. There are enemies that kill you with rocket launchers with no warning. Objectives are indicated by a compass and the word "Follow" that is ever-present over your squad leader (yes, through the whole game). There are so many lousy design choices, Homefront feels like a reunion tour for "Game Sins of the Mid 00s."

Occasionally, when you notice you happen to be fighting on a Little League field or mall parking lot, you get a glimpse of Homefront's potential, but profoundly stupid in-game advertising is there to snatch it away just as quickly. The only thing I can figure is that the Koreans have turned the area outside San Francisco into some sort of Hooters/White Castle internment camp, so densely do they dot Homefront's retail landscape.

Still too immersive? Kaos has been kind enough to tattoo some of the game's most important locations with QR codes you can scan with your phone to get exclusive wallpapers and the like. Just, you know, while you're playing and being all immersed and stuff. There's no reason given. They're just there.

WOW and they hyped this game SO MUCH!! Thank god for you guys, I almost wasted money on this.

At least DICE is still around and doing it right. Back to BC2.

I am also reading that they went with a lobby system for multiplayer like MW2. Is this true?

If so this is a definite pass for me even for MP. I hate lobbies and waiting to get back into a MP match.

Game is significantly better than CoD:BO and such. I really suggest giving the game a try, it's quite entertaining. The maps seemed bigger played smoother etc.

I am also reading that they went with a lobby system for multiplayer like MW2. Is this true?

If so this is a definite pass for me even for MP. I hate lobbies and waiting to get back into a MP match.

They are definitely dedicated servers. Yes theres a lobby for inbetween matches, but not in the sense of CoD.

what a joke that they try to call it a "large scale warfare game"...

With 32 players.... large. yeah right.

Someone has never played planetside. Unless we are talking about several hundred or more players all fighting over the same objective it is not large scale. Heck I think there used to be servers for either tribes or tribes 2 that allowed a heck of a lot more than 32 players.

I like how they are talking about how its something new or innovative or pushing the limit to multiplayer and calling it large scale :p

CONSOLE PORT FTW

Pretty much exactly what I expected. Come on Red Orchestra 2 + Mods.

AND HOW IN GODS NAME DO YOU STOP RUNNING!!!!!?????

crouching, jumping, scoping in != how you stop running

>:O

Lol at all the people who paid 60$ for the game and are now bitching.

THis is what rewiews and gameplay videos are for.

Lol the game sucks, I'm already bored since it's just a COD clone...

I thought it was supposed to make you feel like you weren't killing wave after wave of enemy soldier...that's exactly what you have to do in the game.

Back