Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

I think this has been said before, but this only works on issues relating to soldering. If the problem is corrupt RAM or just bum silicon, you'll only do more damage.

So far card is working fine. I need to go play some games on it now to see if it really is fixed.

:EDIT

I played some L4D2 and card work fine, but that thing is scolding hot. I'm gonna give it to my sister for her PC since her 8800gt messed up (one I baked was a 9800gt). I'm going to try the oven mod on the 8800gt I gave her since it's messed up as well.

Last edited:
Add me to the list.8800 gt oc baked at 385 for 8 mins.Now back in action!

I have lurked in the background for sometime now,but had to join after trying this.I would like to say thanks to the op and everyone that has kept this thread alive! If not for you guys i would still have a dead card.

Last edited:
Glad I accidentally stumbled onto this thread. Wasn't even looking for something related to this. Baked my laptop mb with video issues earlier at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, and now it works like new again. :cool:

I fixed a GTX 280 that was constantly locking up during gaming by baking it. Lasted about 3 months then started to crash again, baked it again, fixed it again. Been a month now and it's starting to artifact a bit now. I think it's on it's last leg, but baking it definitely fixed the problems.

Just fixed my GTX 280. The card actually broke just before BFG stopped supporting their video cards awhile back. Decided to try this out and it worked. Baked at 385 for 10 minutes and let cool for a hour. 20 minutes with the oven door open and then I placed it on the counter for 40.

It worked!!!!!!! Its not running as cool as it did when i first got it, maybe the fans not on tightly or something, but its alive. Was gonna upgrade, but this will hold me till the prices settle.

I have an older rig my wife uses mostly with a 7800GTX and this began the odd random screen crap and pregressing to artefacts during post and random crashes. It was only by looking for a cheapo replacement card that I saw a thread on another forum mentiong the oven baking. A quick Google brought me here.

I stripped the heatsink and placed in a the oven for 8 mins at gas mark 6 and set the timer.
Bit of a smell of solder and stuff but seemed ok but as I open the door a component fell off.
This is a large heavy item that sits almose directly behind the power socket. It has like a large copper winding you can see in the block and two solder pads and is quite heavy and I suppose just too much to hang on with soft solder.. Everything else seemed intact so I let the card cool, turned it over and placed the component in position and reheated as previous. Allowed to cool, refitted heatsink and associated stuff and refitted.

It works people :cool:

Amazing thread and I know there area lot of pages on results but I think the results for this need to be recorded for reference so there is mine.

Take care all and thanks ;)

I stumbled across this thread accidentally after buying a PNY 8800GT from ebay that was faulty. The guy stated it became faulty after a driver update so i assumed i'd install the proper drivers on my PC and i'd be off. Of course, that wasn't the case. Dots and stripes at startup and card would get stopped once Windows was up and running.

I did the bake today; 9 minutes and now the card works :eek: I played Black Ops/Zombies for a bit at full resolution and it worked flawlessly. I'm upgrading from a 8400GS (i'm not a big gamer) so the graphics improvement is very impressive :D The card stated it's RoHS as well whic his good (the end part of the PCI-e section with no metal stripes).

A question for those who baked their cards a long time ago; has anyone's card become faulty again?
Just an update to my post #1126, my card just died. Lasted a lot longer than the few days i was expecting it to last :D, just over 5 months. I'll probably buy another card this time around.

Haste266, is your card still working? Or have you upgraded since? (as the threads over 2 years old now).

Just an update to my post #1126, my card just died. Lasted a lot longer than the few days i was expecting it to last :D, just over 5 months. I'll probably buy another card this time around.

Haste266, is your card still working? Or have you upgraded since? (as the threads over 2 years old now).

i sold the 8800gtx to a friend for very cheap(he knew what the deal was) and it only lasted a month or two before it croaked again, it was sitting on my shelf for the longest time because i already had bought a new GPU before even trying the oven method.

my dads laptop on the other hand is a different story. i resurrected it the first time by baking the whole motherboard in the oven. that lasted for about 8 months. used a heatgun on the gpu the 2nd round and it lasted one year. i JUST brought it back again to life last week and its still working...hopefully for another year!

Fuuuuuuuu. Some days ago I've thrown out a GeForce 8800GT, a 7600GT and other GPUs with problems similar to what you've described. Seeing that I'm building some boxes with old parts, I could really use these cards to disable the onboard VGA I'm stuck with right now.

:(

Does this work for motherboards? I have a Asus A8V that usually works. When it doesn't, it says "USB Over Current Detected" or something like this and shuts down.

Also, does it make a difference which type of oven is used? Don't have any electric ovens around, just traditional gas ones.

Last edited:
Just an update to my post #1126, my card just died. Lasted a lot longer than the few days i was expecting it to last :D, just over 5 months. I'll probably buy another card this time around..
Another update. I wasn't keen on putting the 8800GT back in the oven, but i don't have any other graphics card and the card being disabled due to the fault causes major slowdown of my PC. So yesterday i thought i'd give a hair dryer a try (don't have a heatgun), held it for a while on the gpu, memory and around the card and shockingly the cards working now :cool: So far a whole day, although not played any games. Surprised it came back to life as i didn't think a hair dryer would produce enough heat, but i'm guessing it won't last as long this time around and the over trick would no doubt make it last longer.

Hopefully it'll work for 2 or 3 more days while my new card arrives :D

So yesterday i thought i'd give a hair dryer a try (don't have a heatgun), held it for a while on the gpu, memory and around the card and shockingly the cards working now :cool: So far a whole day, although not played any games. Surprised it came back to life as i didn't think a hair dryer would produce enough heat, but i'm guessing it won't last as long this time around and the over trick would no doubt make it last longer.

Neat. The oven didn't work for my 8800GT, either. I'm going to try my propane torch. Your experiment has given me hope that it can be revived.

Neat. The oven didn't work for my 8800GT, either. I'm going to try my propane torch. Your experiment has given me hope that it can be revived.
I think the reason the hair dryer worked for me is because originally i did the oven trick and the card lasted 5 months, this time around didn't use the oven trick as i ordered a new card instead and thought i'd see if i could jolt the faulty card back to life temporarily until the new card arrives.

If the GPU core is dead (may need to be reballed with a new chip) or corrupt RAM on the graphics card then re-heating or baking will not work.

Gentlement, I am one of you now !

Dell XPS M1210 with integrated GeForce 7400Go

DSCN0430.jpg

DSCN0441.jpg

DSCN0443.jpg

DSCN0445.jpg

YESSSSSSSS

Thanks !

Last edited:
you reflowed the solder but unless you used some sort of flux it won't be a permanent fix.

I followed the 385ºF for 8minutes instructions and fixed a garage door sensor(the ones that are on foot level on each side of the door. Saved me $30. I had to insulated the capacitors because they're mega cheap and rated for lower temps.

I will have to do this on one of my 6870's. One hdmi stopped working, so I switched to my other card and it stop showing up in the devicemanger a couple days later.

Just baked an 8800gt 512mb BFG(out of warranty of course as BFG is gone) and it worked. Testing it now but all appears to be well. Amazing. Baked it at 390 degrees and wasn't 100% level but all appears to be well.... no more thin striped lines! :D

I too used this method for the first time this past weekend.

Brought one of my old card back to life and since I had to apply new thermal paste, is running better now then it was before.

i resurrected a Toshiba Satellite P505 yesterday using a heatgun(AMD Chipset and GPU), didnt think it was going to work because the symptoms weren't typical.

it started blue screening and just restarting and eventually wouldnt even turn on properly, just power lights. never had any corruption on the screen, just crashes.

my dad tried troubleshooting everything he could before I finally just took it apart to see if there was something else going on, and while i had it apart I decided to cook the gpu, and it friggin worked! my dad was like "no shit!?". it made my sister so happy because it was her laptop.

Back