Holy crap, it worked! Dead video card, resurrected!

Did they use the crap solder on the 7900 series too? For some reason I kept thinking this was an 8800 series problem.

I have a laptop HP DV6000. One day it doesn't start anymore. Power gets on and three beeps. I read this article and put motherboard to oven. I warmed oven to 200C and then put motherboard for 10 min. After that waiting half hour cool down. Then i build it back together and it works now. It's unbelieveble. I tought that this was some kind of joke, but it worked.

Thank you guys.

awesome! thanks for registering to share your success story.

I just put my old Samsung monitor in the oven cause that pos stopped working properly about a year ago. After about ten minutes at 425°F I removed it from the oven and frantically tried to remold the melted plastic and lcd screen with my hands. This resulted in severe burns that my insurance company wont cover due to a clever stupidity clause that I signed. Whatever..... :rolleyes:

lol j/k ive been drinking and this topic always amuses me. TGIF!!!!!!

a friend of mine bought an alienware laptop off of ebay. Hidden in the specs the auction said needs a new graphics card. He got it and lines were all over the screen when he booted it up. I told him about this thread.

400 degrees and 10 minutes later he now has a working 7600go.

My brother has an HP DV2225nr laptop which is Nvidia based. It started to have problems displaying on an external monitor, the wireless quit working, and it was now at the point where it wouldn't turn on unless you tried 5-10 times. With nothing to lose, I took it all apart and put the motherboard in for 10 minutes at 350. Put it all back together and it works great!

Sorry for the pic quality, my cell phone is getting old.

Is this safe for a motherboard that has liquid capacitors? Have a motherboard here where the PCI-E stopped working. Worried about all the old style caps on it.

Last edited:
holy crap it actually worked

I had a 8500 GT that I though was dead

Im running it right now

holy crap amazing trick

Does it matter if it's already dead?

It's not dead, just the PCI-E slot so I can't put any decent videocards on it. I'm typing on the very computer right now. It's a rare proprietary board that I cannot get a replacement for.

My brother has an HP DV2225nr laptop which is Nvidia based. It started to have problems displaying on an external monitor, the wireless quit working, and it was now at the point where it wouldn't turn on unless you tried 5-10 times. With nothing to lose, I took it all apart and put the motherboard in for 10 minutes at 350. Put it all back together and it works great!

Sorry for the pic quality, my cell phone is getting old.

Use a heat gun only for the GFX, its a lot safer.

Is this safe for a motherboard that has liquid capacitors? Have a motherboard here where the PCI-E stopped working. Worried about all the old style caps on it.

from my experience, no, it isn't safe. I did some video card with liquid caps (forgot which one) and afterwards all the liquid caps had burst open.

Yea just be careful
My zd7000 worked since my last post about the roast
Lasted month or so
Fubar
So I take it apart again
put it in the oven
take it out
and
O SHOOT:eek:
I forgot to put it with the GPU up
So 4 of these magnet type things fell off!
Rest in piece lappy
Gonna git me a new one!

Well, performed the roast last night on a dead Evga 8800 Ultra. Set the oven at 385 and cooked it for 9 mins. Pulled it out, it sat for about half n hour and I put her back together. Popped it in my rig and she came back to life.

Pretty amazing if you ask me. Kinda nice to since i RMA'ed a 260 to Evga.

when I saw these pictures, I thought this was a joke!
then I saw all the replies.
very out of the box thinking.

Rednex4tehwin!!!

Good for you boss. Funny yet somewhat amazing story.

Great [H] story I think:D.

My vid card died and i wanted to try this so bad but it was under warranty so i got an improved replacement but no cool story :(

Nominating this thread for sticky and for Haste266 to get a custom user title.
Best thread on [H] since I arrived.

8600 GTS back from the dead. :D

Was pulled from a family members PC that wouldn't post. They upgraded the card and I got the dead one. It will soon live as a dedicated physx card.

The WTF look on the wifes face as im preping a cookie sheet was priceless. :p

8600 GTS back from the dead. :D

Was pulled from a family members PC that wouldn't post. They upgraded the card and I got the dead one. It will soon live as a dedicated physx card.

The WTF look on the wifes face as im preping a cookie sheet was priceless. :p

Cookies? I haven't seen those in a whi.... WHAT!!!???

That ain't cookie dough!

No, dearest, it's a graphics card.

You mean the expensive computer parts, right?

Yes, honey, I do.

Oven... tin foil... computer parts... are you on something?

Wha..

Because you know I will help you in any way possible.

Ummm....

I just don't want this getting to the kids, you know?

Something like this is bound to happen... many times over. (unless of course, she runs finacial for a network equpiment manufacturer, and knows how SMT is done :p)

I'm two for two. I resurrected an 8800 GTS 512 and an 8800 GTS 640 back to life. Thank you SOOOOO MUCH!!!

Lol even if it hadn't worked, the look on my wife's face as I was doing this was priceless too! :D

Well.... For the THIRD TIME my 8800GTS 640mb died on me, and for the THIRD TIME I baked it again, and I have the card working like new! It's crazy.. I didn't think I could get any more life out of this thing, but it works very well...

Ah, good old reflow work. Reminds me of my previous job where almost ever HP and Acer had to have its Southbridge or Northbridge reflowed or reballed.

i removed all bits from the card including the i/o shield and placed it gpu side down with the card raised up on 3 sides by tiny balls of aluminum foil and placed it on a very thin cookie sheet. i preheated the oven to 385f, put the card in and waited around 8-10 minutes.

I am surprised that the plastic for the DVI and 6pin connectors didn’t melt or at least warp??

I am surprised that the plastic for the DVI and 6pin connectors didn’t melt or at least warp??

same here! :D

i didnt notice any difference in the plastics after baking.

This thread is so epic, 1/3 million views :D

When I get some spare time I plan on trying this on a 7800 gt that crapped out a while back!

oh, my god, it actually worked!!!

i had tons of green dot artifacts, blue screens, and this weird "Display driver stopped working" msg with my 4870, baked it, now it WORKS, been using it for a while 0 artifacts no errors, they used to appear as soon as I booted.

I love you OP.

6600gt and x1900gt that was fixed with the oven method finally broke down again. Roasted it again and no go. Tried changing capacitors and still no go.

My 8800GTX went out on me again a few weeks back. Today I had a chance to recook it and now it's working again.

Amazing thread. I can't stop chuckling at how ludicrous this is, but at the same time absolutely astounded that people are getting results. :p

Enthusiasts around the world now baking hardware components in a bid to bring them back to life!

Welp, another one saved from the trash bin. Bought a XFX 8800gtx from a fellow member here a few months ago. Worked flawlessly up until a few days ago. My son started complaining about random lockups/crashes and such after 20-30 miuntes of gaming. Did the "driver" thing...uninstall, reinstall...blah, blah blah. The card was a OC version, so down clocked it and tested it out as well. Still random locks. Didn't take notice that it was slightly artifacting until running thru some 3d06. Decided to give it the OVEN tweak. 375 for 7 1/2 minutes. 30 minute cooldown...put it back together and sweet...NO issues. Running at full OC speeds with no artifacting or lockups. +1 for the Oven.

Back