Hogwarts Legacy

Hogwarts Legacy has sold more than 12 million copies in two weeks across current gen consoles and PC according to a WB Games earnings call. The version for last gen consoles is launching in the beginning of April. It took Elden Ring a little more than a year to hit 20 million copies sold. It looks like Hogwarts will hit this milestone in a couple months. To be fair, the Harry Potter IP in general is far more popular than From Software games.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n52990/hogwarts-legacy-sales-warner-bros-xbox

I started playing this over the weekend. I told my wife that this has some addictive qualities. She looked at me and said you pretty much quit playing PC games. I said I know, but this game is very well made and fun as hell.

Zelda isn't splitting anything. Nintendo can ship Zelda with a turd in the case and still win GOTY.
Fair enough. I don't own a Nintendo system so I won't be able to comment on that game. I hope it's that good for whoever plays it.

I finished the main story last night at roughly the 60 hour mark and about 95 percent total completion. I'm sad that it's done although I have some odds and ends to continue on with for my first character. Fantastic game.

Last edited:
Best for me on LInux:

Latest Proton

Launch options: DXVK_ASYNC=1 PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1 VKD3D_CONFIG=dxr %command% - Enables the DLSS and Ray Tracing options

Create /etc/sysctl.d/99-max_max_count.conf with vm.max_map_count=1000000 inside - Stops crashing when loading / fast traveling

Download DLSS 3.1.1 ini file (https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/) and place in /SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Hogwarts Legacy/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/Nvidia/DLSS/Binaries/ThirdParty/Win64/ - Increases FPS and image quality

Add these lines to the end of /SteamLibrary/steamapps/compatdata/990080/Engine.ini - Increases / stabilizes FPS:

[SystemSettings]
r.bForceCPUAccessToGPUSkinVerts=True
r.GTSyncType=1
r.OneFrameThreadLag=1
r.FinishCurrentFrame=0
r.TextureStreaming=1
r.Streaming.PoolSize=3072
r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1

[ConsoleVariables]
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdates=1
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesDuringGamethreadUpdates=1
AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesEditor=1
after the last update and newest drivers, i dont see any difference with those ini edits so i stopped using them. there is one that alters bloom and fog that i use though.

The merlin puzzles are obnoxiously bad. With all these spells, they had a great opportunity to do some BOTW/Fenyx Rising puzzle stuff and it seems like they blew it.
Aye, the merlin trials are terrible. There are trials where a handful of pillars raise around you and all you have to do is jump on top of them to complete the trial. It's the most uninspired and unrewarding thing. And for every trial you complete, you're forced to watch the same exact cutscene of that structure rising from the ground.

Whats with the 3 broomsticks bar keep?

Woman or man? Looks like woman, sounds like a dude

Aye, the merlin trials are terrible. There are trials where a handful of pillars raise around you and all you have to do is jump on top of them to complete the trial. It's the most uninspired and unrewarding thing. And for every trial you complete, you're forced to watch the same exact cutscene of that structure rising from the ground.
What you don't want to do parkor with a character that is terrible at jumping? Like a bad AC mechanic.

3 broomstick bar keeper sirona (spelling might be off) was a wizard that became a witch. The game has several things similar, drama with the creator with lgbtq+ blah blah blah. Been covered in this thread before.

Just finished it at around 40 hours and level 35. I played it on normal which was a mistake, it was definitely too easy. All in all it was a good ride, but likely a one and done for me.

Is there a good cut scene pausing mod? Even the Witcher 3 didn't allow you to pause during the 15 minute or so cutscene/dialogue trees.

I see "Game Pauser" on Nexus Mods, but seems like it requires a 3rd party program and I am hoping there is something else that doesn't require another program running in the background.

And I'm just messing around with settings in the main menu.

With ray tracing reflections and ambient occlusion and DLSS quality I get around 120 frame rates. ray tracing shadows on the other hand seems to be a much bigger frame rate hit. Without DLSS and no ray tracing, I get around 120 frame rates (capped). Add on RTX reflections and ambient occlusion and it drops into the high 70s. Disable those to and enable RTX shadows only and frame rates drop to around 50, or around 75 or so with DLSS quality.

Does this seem to hold true throughout the game? Is the ray tracing shadow option always bringing that big of a frame rate hit? The other two options are minimal.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I don't own a Nintendo system so I won't be able to comment on that game. I hope it's that good for whoever plays it.
I think nintendo is the most overrated game publisher out there. They are far worse than EA imo. Nintendo can take a crap on gamers and they'll still be everyone's darling somehow.

I think nintendo is the most overrated game publisher out there. They are far worse than EA imo. Nintendo can take a crap on gamers and they'll still be everyone's darling somehow.

It saddens me due to history, nostalgia, etc. with Nintendo but for a lot of reasons I won't get into covering a decent amount of time I agree with you. *puts flame retardant suit on* ;)

Yeah, you can have 4 rows, still you have much more abilities than 16, so this is kind of an oddball restriction forcing you to constantly swap out abilities on the quickslots depending on what you need. And no way to get used to a layout.
Ive finished the main quest and the in game total progress bar is at 50ish %. Honestly I use 3 out of the 4 quickslots. One for the Accio tree, one for the unforgivable(and lumos) and the last one has fire, freeze, repair and vanishing. The 4th one is the only one that isnt used much, just for stuff needed for quests.

Game wise I have been enjoying it, very impressed with how well it looks with a 3gb 1650 super. Sure there was a good amount of lag at times and one crash that required a forced reboot(battle right before you learn the last unforgivable) But still a good looking game and very playable. I would say my only complaint is that if I'm playing at my desktop I can use my xbox controller with the dongle, but if I play via the steam link in my living room using the same controller with dongle it wont work(works with other games though) and I have to use keyboard and mouse. Other wise I've had a blast with it

One thing Nintendo does right: games are very polished. Not many bugs at all. In an ideal world that wouldn't be a discussion point, but in the world of Battlefield 5, Just Cause 4, Assassin's Creed Unity and Batman Arkham Knight there are plenty of AAA games that release in entirely unacceptable states. And EA has a number of those under their belt.

One thing Nintendo does right: games are very polished. Not many bugs at all. In an ideal world that wouldn't be a discussion point, but in the world of Battlefield 5, Just Cause 4, Assassin's Creed Unity and Batman Arkham Knight there are plenty of AAA games that release in entirely unacceptable states. And EA has a number of those under their belt.
I'd rather get a great game in an "unacceptable" state, than a polished turd. I think people view the past with rose colored glasses, games used to run like crap all the time, if anything we have it better now than ever before. Back in the day I struggled to get 15 fps out of some games, and still enjoyed them. Now sub 60 fps is considered unacceptable by some.

I'd rather get a great game in an "unacceptable" state, than a polished turd. I think people view the past with rose colored glasses, games used to run like crap all the time, if anything we have it better now than ever before. Back in the day I struggled to get 15 fps out of some games, and still enjoyed them. Now sub 60 fps is considered unacceptable by some.

It is fine to not like some games, but I find it hard to say Nintendo is "worse" than the companies that put out outright non-functional products. I used those examples because two of them were so bad they were pulled from sale. One ended up giving away all of the paid expansions for free to make up for the poor release state. EA was kind enough to give a middle finger. You might not like Nintendo games, but they are of high quality. There are many companies I don't care for because they don't have anything I want. But I wouldn't say they are a "worse" than a company that sells items I want, who happens to scam 30% of the customers.

Now if you are just saying overrated, I would agree. I think most of Nintendo's games are overrated. But EA certainly isn't "overrated" (they get a lot of hate, and they deserve it). They are just a bad company. Being overrated (Nintendo) and being a bad company that takes peoples money without delivering the goods (EA/Ubisoft) are two entirely different ballparks which is why I found the comparison odd.

It is fine to not like some games, but I find it hard to say Nintendo is "worse" than the companies that put out outright non-functional products. I used those examples because two of them were so bad they were pulled from sale. One ended up giving away all of the paid expansions for free to make up for the poor release state. EA was kind enough to give a middle finger. You might not like Nintendo games, but they are of high quality. There are many companies I don't care for because they don't have anything I want. But I wouldn't say they are a "worse" than a company that sells items I want, who happens to scam 30% of the customers.
That's not the end of the world, and they at least tried to make it right. However who DMCAs gameplay videos on youtube? Nintendo. Who tried to then tax gameplay videos? Nintendo. Who is constantly suing and DMCA-ing emulators? Nintendo. Who is suing modders and game preservationist sites? Nintendo. Nintendo has sued just about everybody under the sun, including themselves. And the usual excuse I get from apologists is that they just want to protect their brand. BS, nobody is making knock-off NFS games just because EA didn't sue the boots off of those who tried or succeeded at modding NFS games, or even archived the early discontinued ones.

So, I uphold my view that nintendo is a POS company. Just because your games are bug free doesn't make you a force for good, or an example to follow.

Is the engine.ini fix still worth using with the latest version of the game? Game itself runs fine but when a cutscene starts frame rates drop to something like 15-20. RTX 3070 with only 8GB VRAM and I understand this game has a memory problem.

They are very polished because most their games are very simple in design and yet still take 5+ years to make. There is absolutely no reason for The New Zelda to have taken 5 years to make.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Is the engine.ini fix still worth using with the latest version of the game? Game itself runs fine but when a cutscene starts frame rates drop to something like 15-20. RTX 3070 with only 8GB VRAM and I understand this game has a memory problem.
It never worked for me. The only thing that works is turning off RTX. Remember you can turn off RT in the game withoout quiting, but you can't turn it on if it was off when you started the game. I think this is what confused people who thought ini editing did anything to improve RT performance.

Minor quibble: I felt like the game needed another source of income for Galleons. Like maybe you get x amount for every enemy you kill, quest completion, and stuff like that. We see that in many other games so it's a puzzling omission in this. I recognize that there are relatively simple ways to farm and it's not the end of the world but if I was going to nitpick something maybe it would be this. Quest recipes cost 1500 a pop, groom upgrades can hit 4000...it adds up.

Minor quibble: I felt like the game needed another source of income for Galleons. Like maybe you get x amount for every enemy you kill, quest completion, and stuff like that. We see that in many other games so it's a puzzling omission in this. I recognize that there are relatively simple ways to farm and it's not the end of the world but if I was going to nitpick something maybe it would be this. Quest recipes cost 1500 a pop, groom upgrades can hit 4000...it adds up.
are you not picking up the coin bags most enemies drop? also, sell everything except what youre wearing.

It never worked for me. The only thing that works is turning off RTX. Remember you can turn off RT in the game withoout quiting, but you can't turn it on if it was off when you started the game. I think this is what confused people who thought ini editing did anything to improve RT performance.

I turned:

r.MaxShadowResolution=3072

Down to 2046, which apparently is helpful for 8GB VRAM cards. Performance issues went away but I have not played much since. Will test more. I am using DLSS which should cut VRAM usage a bit and if problems persist will turn off ray tracing occlusion. If they are still there then reflections will go off as well.

They are very polished because most their games are very simple in design and yet still take 5+ years to make. There is absolutely no reason for The New Zelda to have taken 5 years to make.

BoTW is the most overrated game I have ever played. I can even understand high 8-9s, but the amount of perfect 10s it got when being a solid 7 at best was just crazy to see. Frame rate issues in forest area? Check. Dead open world? Check. Bad fetch quests? Check. Minimal dialogue and story? Check. Few enemy types? Check. Clunky controls? Check. Fun parkour, although very common climbing towers to reveal map like 90% of other open world games? Check.

Don't want to go off topic more but I cannot believe how plain and generic the game was given the praise it got.

Yes. It just feels like things are a bit tight at times. Again a real nitpick.
it can. there were times when i had 15k+ then buy a few things and i was down to 1k, it can go fast but also doesnt take too long to build back up.
edited speeling and added Ss

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
ahh I am just running around doing whatever the game will let me do before doing main quests.
Main quests up till level ~20 are what get you 'fully unlocked', I like to call this gameplay style advanced tutorial mode, but it's usually defended as keeping players interested or trying to not overwhelm or etc etc. But exploring the world can be good fun, just remember to unlock the nearbly floos for later!

Money was never really a problem for me but I don't go to the barber or whatever else that doesn't provide direct benefits, but I did buy most of the conjuration stuff. Bought all the seeds right off the batt. You can change your clothes appearance for free. Brooms are cosmetic but the upgrades are spendy. Don't ever buy spell ingredients or mallow leaves because you can grow them all, fast travel right to the RoR, EzPz.

I got the triple small potters bench first, and the double large, skipped the mediums and 5-pot small until later to save cash. I recommend this too for others, the price for the medium pots, and 5 pots is too much. Cabbages grow in medium or large, tentaculas in large only, and everything else in smalls. You can have 7 planters of any variety, it's very easy to get 12/12 on every combat plant and 24 wiggenwelds. I had cabbages level 3 early on, so murder cabbages was easy mode but I prefer spellwork, yet when I get tired of spiders or goblins I'll toss out 6 and let them terrorize and annihilate everything. It's a talent upgrade to get 6, 2-for-1 otherwise 3.

Sell any gear that isn't your best/legendary. Legendary gear let's you equip level 3 traits, purple is limited to level 2, etc.

I was able to buy every broom upgrade with thousands to spare, but I think the side hustle makes some sense in the IP and side quests. If making money was easy there shouldn't be poor Wizarding families, doing desperate things in game and IP. Money is too easy even, or maybe some of those wizards are just cartoonishly dumb? like raising spiders in your basement to sell their silk/venom

All I do is sell my gear, oh and the cyclops treasure has 500 each. Beasts earn money too, 120 each. Pimp them out. Each merlin trial tier let's you carry 4 more gear, value is based on rarety so even in early game I was filling up and selling out, getting thousands per trip. Sometimes I'd get full and destroy some greens to make room, 2-3 at a time so I might get more blue-yellows. I don't try to make money anymore, not for a long time, and I'm sitting on probably 25k galleons and a fully upgraded broom... and all the crap you could conjure worth buying from that shopkeep.

good run down. i skipped all the attack plants, grew the stuff for only brewing health and thunder potions and grew merlin leaf. had one x2 med planter, one small planter and 3 potion stations.
ps: dont try upgrading clothes hoping to sell for more, you only get ever the base value, even on unidentified items.

good run down. i skipped all the attack plants, grew the stuff for only brewing health and thunder potions and grew merlin leaf. had one x2 med planter, one small planter and 3 potion stations.
ps: dont try upgrading clothes hoping to sell for more, you only get ever the base value, even on unidentified items.
Thanks, and exactly that!

Clothes values IIRC from common to legendary, any level or trait, I believe are: 60/90/120/150

Level 1 and 2 upgrades are simple, for level 3 you'll need phoenix feathers or graphorn horns, not really worth it because you'll find better gear soon usually. And with free cosmetic changes you don't have to look goofy.

I didn't know how for far too long, but to change gear appearances go to the gear page, hover over the gear in question, and it'll say press X to change appearance or A to change gear (xbox) or similar for pc/ps5, and then you can change the look to anything or nothing. I sorta miss the days of my naivete and wearing eye of newt/dragon glasses for that extra boost, or taking them and the straw hat off so I don't look stupid during cutscenes. I kept an ancient secret solvers hat that was rare thinking it was unique loot until I later learned NOTHING is unique in this game.

I kept reading about changing appearances, and would go to each gear where you swap them thinking that was where you did it, or at a vendor, or a changing room I hadn't had yet, until I finally looked it up. Whoops. Guess I was too busy swapping gear to take the time to read the prompt.

when do you get to do upgrades do your gear? I am not super far in yet.
Like Pendragon said the gear upgrades are locked behind the Room of Requirements and another quest or two. Once I saw that upgrading gear is partially locked behind the pokemon style creature collecting I realized that I would rarely interact with it. I only go to the RoR to identify gear. Press X and wait to grow plants, press X and wait to make potions, etc. is just more boring filler IMO.

Loving this game , to bad i had a major bug that screwed my game up , i fell through the floor and couldn't broom up or use M or ESC to teleport anywhere so having to start over . Had 19 hours invested. Anyone got a 15 hour save file by any chance?

Back