Hogwarts Legacy

The quest menu literally tells you if it's a main quest or not. New main quests will pop as well, so you don't have to go around looking for one to continue forward. It's pretty automated.

Since it's easy to tell apart a main quest from a side quest, be mindful to not do too many main quests in a row if you want to hit that 40 hour mark. Putting 40+ hours in this game is very doable IMHO.

Thanks. I get tired of games where you take on a quest only for it to be a fetch quest or some repeating type of thing.

The world itself looks fairly good. Small map apparently, but filled with lots of things to see and do. That makes me want to give it a try because most open worlds are empty and bland. This seems to do the concept right from the sound of things.

OK guyshelpplz, how does this persons game look like this? I came across this screenshot ina steam thread about how hot Garlic is and my shit looks like sega gensis graphics compared to this. I've got everything except fog on ultra, how does this look so good?

View attachment 549726
ultra settings and RT to max? mine looks close, just not glossy/shiny...

I have never seen anything HP related before, and I like the game. Saying it is assassin's creed in the HP universe is a disservice to the game, even though I like AC games also but for different reasons. The attention to detail in this game is insane, every nook and cranny is filled with interactive stuff, sometimes I just stop and look at the amount of detail put into various locations. In Hogwarts Every statue and painting literally lives a life of its own. It is truly magical, figuratively and literally. Last time I played I just sat in the main menu fot 5 minutes watching my character's expressions interacting with the environment. The animations in the game are top notch. I still can't believe a studio who never did anything on this scale was able to put this together and in such high quality. Every major hub is bustling with NPCs, many of whom are also questgivers, and most of them feel real, unlike the interactive hotspot role of NPCs in other games.

Of course no game is perfect, but the few negatives I found so far are far far outweighed by everything else. There is no doubt about it in my mind that this is the best game since Cyberpunk 2077.
Like I said, I enjoy it. There is a lot of details, true, but a lot of filler art too with reused assets but they do a decent job of making the overall environment look good. I think it is beautiful, but I wouldn't recommend looking too closely. It sounds like you're enchanted with the game and nobody likes it when people crap on something they love, I just expect every game to be like Fallout now where EVERYTHING does something. The shelves of books everywhere do nothing for instance, even in the library, but they do look nice.

I wish the owls would arrive instead of the little phone call deals, the timing is off on those growler envelopes or whatever, etc. The art is great, just not much to interact with IMHO

Last edited:
Thanks. I get tired of games where you take on a quest only for it to be a fetch quest or some repeating type of thing.

The world itself looks fairly good. Small map apparently, but filled with lots of things to see and do. That makes me want to give it a try because most open worlds are empty and bland. This seems to do the concept right from the sound of things.
Yeah it's pretty obvious which quests to skip besides main vs side, you can see the rewards ahead of time.

Like I said, I enjoy it. There is a lot of details, true, but a lot of filler art too with reused assets but they do a decent job of making the overall environment look good. I think it is beautiful, but I wouldn't recommend looking too closely. It sounds like you're enchanted with the game and nobody likes it when people crap on something they love, I just except every game to be like fallout now where EVERYTHING does something. The shelves of books everywhere do nothing for instance, even in the library, but they do look nice.

I wish the owls would arrive instead of the little phone call deals, the timing is off on those growler envelopes or whatever, etc. The art is great, just not much to interact with IMHO
Bunch of grown men and women on here playing a video game based on a kids book and movie series. Lol! It's doing something right.

Let's hope a solid dlc in the future will add to the immersion. Lot of quidditch requests, but I'd like to see more quests and an expanded map. Apparently a data miner found a portion of the map taken out from release. Could be a DLC area in the making.

Bunch of grown men and women on here playing a video game based on a kids book and movie series. Lol! It's doing something right.

Let's hope a solid dlc in the future will add to the immersion. Lot of quidditch requests, but I'd like to see more quests and an expanded map. Apparently a data miner found a portion of the map taken out from release. Could be a DLC area in the making.
Definitely, that and a lot of millenials grew up with the IP too so there's a lot of fanbase. Most millenials now have their own kids old enough to get into the IP, I know a few who are playing with said kids.

I do hope for more DLC, we'll see, it's been fun and hooked me. How long was this game in development for? UE4 engine so I'd guess a while.

ultra settings and RT to max? mine looks close, just not glossy/shiny...

Yes and it looks nothing like that. I mean its not bad looking overall but the textures are nowhere near that good. I'll try and get a comparable screenshot.

I've tried ansel BUTT it doesn't look like that either, especially the hair it looks like something from playstation 2. Hmm.
Perhaps the character isn't from the game. Where did you find the screenshot? It may have been edited.

Perhaps the character isn't from the game. Where did you find the screenshot? It may have been edited.

EDIT: nvm I got a hold of the guy and he had edited them in the folder and then uploaded them, it is indeed not straight out of the game. What a tease, I was hoping there was a way to get it looking like that.

Last edited:
The performance went to crap with the patches for me, guess I gotta try new nvidia drivers now.

Getting lag and fps drops now even from the blue butterflies lol. Was buttery smooth efore the last update a day or two ago.

Anyone playing this with AMD 7000 series? AMD is dominating in this game as far as playability. I did some benching while I was sick this week, and RTX 3000 series seems especially bad. I tried all sorts of things like HDD vs SSD, Windows 10 vs Windows 11, 16GB vs 32GB vs 64GB RAM, etc.

To summarize my findings, RX6600 and 6900XT were smooth as butter no matter what, with full GPU usage. 3070ti and 4090 struggle to get to 99% usage (4090 more understandably so), but the 3070ti was fucking awful. It was such a bad experience no matter what, stuttery even with high frame rates. I found the RX 6600 smoother at 1440p ultra with 50fps average than the 3070ti at the same settings with 80fps. In Hogsmeade, this card had the exact same frame rate from 1080p medium to ultra, to 1440p ultra. Usage sat around 80%, it was extremely strange and probably a driver problem. Theoretically if the 6900XT can get full usage and over 100fps in the same exact spot while being a faster card it should have been fine but it wasn't. I was so confused I DDU the driver twice just to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

I used both my 5600X and 12700KF, this game is extremely sensitive to memory clocks as well. Dropping to 2133mhz on the RAM on either platform lost 10-20% fps regardless of the card.

For running the game on a HDD, it has extremely long shader precache, like 6-8 minutes, and it was slow to load saves but once in game it was fine. 16GB RAM causes a ton of stuttering on the cards with less vram, the 16GB and 24GB cards were fine but the 8GB cards had a lot of stutters and periods of 10-15fps before it picked back up.

528.49 Good/better for this game or just hold tight on drivers from around January?

Game runs fine. Latest drivers and everything maxed out at 1440p. Still would like to play using DLDSR. Anyway I can do that?

Game doesn’t have a full screen mode. :rolleyes:

3 hours in and game story is intriguing. Good details as well. Bummed that there are only 4 magic quick slots. Would’ve liked a bar at the bottom to choose from like older BioWare games.

Game runs fine. Latest drivers and everything maxed out at 1440p. Still would like to play using DLDSR. Anyway I can do that?

Game doesn’t have a full screen mode. :rolleyes:

3 hours in and game story is intriguing. Good details as well. Bummed that there are only 4 magic quick slots. Would’ve liked a bar at the bottom to choose from like older BioWare games.

You can unlock more quick slots as you progress. You can end up with 4 rows of them I believe.

You can unlock more quick slots as you progress. You can end up with 4 rows of them I believe.
Yeah, you can have 4 rows, still you have much more abilities than 16, so this is kind of an oddball restriction forcing you to constantly swap out abilities on the quickslots depending on what you need. And no way to get used to a layout.

Am I the only one that doesn't care which voice comes out of Sirona? I've seen a ton of posts about this.

for some it's apparently worth the price of spelunking through the weird ass sex mod forum that lets you piss on someone in Skyrim

Also I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end and I'm very curious whether they're going to go back on the no DLC shit since I assume the game is absolutely printing money

I noticed if I turn on RTX, apply, and restart game it runs bad, but then if I turn off RTX and not restart as it requires to opt in new options, RTX stays but runs really smooth... Wtf?

I noticed if I turn on RTX, apply, and restart game it runs bad, but then if I turn off RTX and not restart as it requires to opt in new options, RTX stays but runs really smooth... Wtf?
When you turn it off - It turns off without needing to restart. It only needs restart if you didn't have any on and turn one on.

I've done some extensive sampling with the three raytracing options in this game and they just aren't worth it. The attention to detail spent with traditional shader effects is such that raytracing adds very little here, and like most UE4 based games - The engine just can't properly handle raytracing without inducing massive stuttering.

for some it's apparently worth the price of spelunking through the weird ass sex mod forum that lets you piss on someone in Skyrim

Also I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end and I'm very curious whether they're going to go back on the no DLC shit since I assume the game is absolutely printing money

Oh you mean nexusmods?

When you turn it off - It turns off without needing to restart. It only needs restart if you didn't have any on and turn one on.

I've done some extensive sampling with the three raytracing options in this game and they just aren't worth it. The attention to detail spent with traditional shader effects is such that raytracing adds very little here, and like most UE4 based games - The engine just can't properly handle raytracing without inducing massive stuttering.
It's a checkbox, for sure.

I think the AO looks a little better, but often the other effects look worse (shadows and reflection), inexplicably. Really not worth the wildly uneven performance which you get with RT on. Reminds me a lot of Callisto Protocol. Oh - that's what you said! :D

OK guyshelpplz, how does this persons game look like this? I came across this screenshot ina steam thread about how hot Garlic is and my shit looks like sega gensis graphics compared to this. I've got everything except fog on ultra, how does this look so good?

View attachment 549726
Looks like some AI enhancement

Straight from game most settings high/ultra (even RT):
download.jpeg-26.jpg

Some Web AI shit I uploaded it to using Free software:
pixelup_1676850019835.jpg

Just the free version but seems to clean the hair up a bit. Maybe something like that. Just my spitball...

Hogwarts Legacy   2_22_2023 1_48_37 AM.jpg

Screenshot from my first Oled monitor I ever purchased tweaking the setting like crazy this is with Ray Tracing on running it a bit dark cause HDR can be bright in some areas.This game has some of the best use of Ray Tracing I ever seen in a game so far.

Last edited:
View attachment 551028

Screenshot from my first Oled monitor I ever purchased tweaking the setting like crazy this is with Ray Tracing on running it a bit dark cause HDR can be bright in some areas.This game has some of the best use of Ray Tracing I ever seen in a game so far.
Pro tip- use gamebar screenshot capture to keep the screenshots from looking all washed out.

For example,

Steam:
1677079658715.png

Gamebar:
1677079687808.png

I know it probably looks great on both, but the bottom one more truly represents the color I was seeing at the time. It takes 2 screenshots, PNG with SDR, and one JXR with HDR. If you play with newer xbox remote, just hitting the share button will do it (though sometimes it's delayed which is annoying)

back in my day we had to mod in bleached asshole textures and bloated ass hooker lips, now you're telling me someone can just TikTok filter their games to post online

how far we've fallen
Give it time, there will be actual in game mods. I mean look at skyrim, they have literally anything you can imagine and more comes out all the time :ROFLMAO:

I just completed the main story mission. As a fan of the Harry Potter books and movie adaptations I have to admit that this game is really well done. I loved every minute of it. Even though we're only in February this one is going on my GOTY list.

I just completed the main story mission. As a fan of the Harry Potter books and movie adaptations I have to admit that this game is really well done. I loved every minute of it. Even though we're only in February this one is going on my GOTY list.
I finished it last night, best game so far, been playing it since the 3 day head start. Have not played dragonflight since then so I guess I need to shift back into mundane world mode.

I have this game locked in as likely GOTY for myself, too. I dare something to come along this year to at least split that crown.

Back