History Will Remember Bill Gates And Forget Steve Jobs

Steve? Bill? Changed the world? Lol no..

Dennis Ritchie changed the world. Bill Gates "charitable work" will never amount to what to Dennis and Ken has done and accomplished.

One should question how Bill got so rich the first place... but that's another argument entirely that I won't get into. :)

Dennis Ritchie and Ken? Are we talking about Barbie's BF and the guy she's cheating on him with or something?

Could [H] be more blatantly anti-Apple?

I wonder if Gates' death will have anywhere near the reaction that Jobs' did...

I never heard of this guy before but I could watch him talk all day. It really is a great interview.

I'm going to go out on a limb and feed this one. I haven't been posting for very long even though I've been visiting [H] for quite a few years. What caught my interest and made me want to participate in the forum is what you're pointing out in your post...

Except that you're mistaking anti-Apple sentiments for actual human intelligence. There are a lot of people here who are smart enough to wave the B.S. flag and call it like they see it. When people see something stupid, point it out. It's not their fault that Apple does things to appeal to easily victimized, stupid people who are more concerned about their image than actually getting something useful accomplished with their electronics. If Pizza Hut was appealing to mentally vacant bottom-feeders, the people on this forum would probably make fun of Pizza Hut's customers too.

That's not to say that everyone who buys Apple products is sulking at the lower end of the bell curve, but it is an observable trend and, well, these guys are just having fun at their expense. Exercise some selective exposure if it bothers you.

I disagree. As much as I hate Apple, there is no denying that the iPod, iPhone and now Ipad literally changed the world. Gotta give the dude credit for that.

None of them changed shit in comparison to to what windows did..

Reaction? Well maybe not in the same way, but those who do react from Gates' death with have reactions that are MUCH more worthy, since IIRC Gates' fortune is going to charity and not going to be handed down to his children or grandchildren like the Hilton twats

People will remember Bill Gates more than any other billionaire or techy for centuries to come. Microsoft is Bill Gates as is Bill Gates is Microsoft. If Bill Gates got a felony right now the company's reputation would be at stake. As long as windows is installed on every machine in the future people will remember him.

Wow, that article was a fantastic read Steve. Thanks for posting! Really fascinating stuff...not to mention the stimulating discussion that followed. I hope we can see more articles of that caliber make it to the front page news section.

Today younger people are not taught about almost anything technological from previous years, 70s-90s, why next generations should be remembering the existence of iPad, iPhone or iPod, isn't that kind of wrong? If they gonna be informed about Apple Newton, technically first tablet, than ok, but not the shit like iPod or iPad, no one of those were technically breakthrough. I don't really think people need more crap in their heads(the media and so on, are doing that pretty well). Bill Gates gets remembered for philanthropy and MS gets remembered for creating windows OS(windows was contribution to humanity, iShit was not)

Here is a good question to ask: if they were both still alive and had the same life expectancy, for arguments sake, who would you rather be? The correct answer is Gates. Why? Has anybody seen Jobs in person just going around his business? No, because he was a megalomaniac with tons of security because people either love him or hate him. On the other hand, I have seen the Gates family hanging out in Bellevue with no "visible" security.

They both got lucky and rich and were known to be as smart as they were prickish. Jobs reminds me of Hearst the same way Buffett reminds me of Gates. They will all probably be remembered... but for what and how remains to be seen.

I'm going to go out on a limb and feed this one. I haven't been posting for very long even though I've been visiting [H] for quite a few years. What caught my interest and made me want to participate in the forum is what you're pointing out in your post...

Except that you're mistaking anti-Apple sentiments for actual human intelligence. There are a lot of people here who are smart enough to wave the B.S. flag and call it like they see it. When people see something stupid, point it out. It's not their fault that Apple does things to appeal to easily victimized, stupid people who are more concerned about their image than actually getting something useful accomplished with their electronics. If Pizza Hut was appealing to mentally vacant bottom-feeders, the people on this forum would probably make fun of Pizza Hut's customers too.

That's not to say that everyone who buys Apple products is sulking at the lower end of the bell curve, but it is an observable trend and, well, these guys are just having fun at their expense. Exercise some selective exposure if it bothers you.

No, there is definitely an anti-apple slant, it's been here since the beginning and it has nothing to do with the users.

You also might want to look into Apple's demographics because they aren't the one's on the wrong end of the curve.

"There will be statues of Gates across the third world."

I don't care who you are, if this quote doesn't scare the shit out of you there is something wrong.

Nothing wrong with it. The guy deserves every bit of recognition he gets. He's hemorrhaging millions upon millions, bordering on billions. No one here -- quite possibly no one else in the world -- can say that. And it's going to honestly good things. His company might be an unstoppable, borderline psychopathic juggernaut, but he's turned out to be a surprisingly good guy.

There's a small element of that, but mostly it's just sheer nerd rage against apple. If the complaints against apple were limited to genuine complaints opposed to just reckless hatred, there would barely be one tenth the anti-apple and anti-apple-user posts on the forum.

I'm no apple lover, I use an iPhone because I got one on a good deal and it's a good phone, but other than that I don't really get down with apple products... but none the less I think the irrational anti-apple hate goes way further than genuine intelligence.

Also, LOL @ the observable trend of Apple buyers being at the lower end of the bell curve. Most the apple users I know are lecturers, doctors, professors, managers, etc.

I think the beef against the apple company comes mostly from their pricing and their massively douchey marketing. the beef against the apple fan boy is that they actually BELIEVE the marketing. I have 2 iphones, an ipod, an ipad, a macbook air, and a macpro. the only reason is because I have two young children and the mac ecosphere is the simplest way to video chat, watch movies, take movies with us, and watch netflix. every other vendor offers an option, but its all a mishmash of things. I freaking hate the 'mac is awesome' culture, and their hardware is way over priced, but for the time being they do offer the best combination of home life media hardware.

none of the above will result in Steve Jobs being remember as anything other than an aggregator of good ideas. If philanthropy is what gets you remembered, then Bill Gates has the monopoly on that.

If we're talking hundreds of years into the future, history will remember a man who while alive made astounding contributions to charities and human rights and in his will together with other billionaires entered a pact of having their riches put towards the greatest good of mankind after death.

There might be a little foot-note about Steve Jobs somewhere in the history holo-storage cards.

The blind rage and butthurt over apple and steve jobs on this forum is gut bustingly funny.... great for friday afternoon entertainment. Its even better than the PC gamers crusade against EA, Activision, and the consoles sometimes.

You guys hide behind people like Bill Gates thinking you have some morale compass. That man was a crook, he bought DOS and stole the idea of windows.

Or you are conent using a buggy piece of shit android phone all in the name of the anti-Apple crusade. Meanwhile praising the other multi-billion dollar companies who make your phone in the same damn factory as apple.

My Galaxy nexus was made entirely in Korea including the battery. So its not made in the same factory

All those devices existed without Jobs.

He just gave people who had no clue and/or desire to understand tech a brand name they could feel comfortable with.

He was a masterful at marketing. Period.

This. Revisionist history for the win from the Apple iSheep though... :eek: !

I would guess the reason a lot here are anti-Apple is because many here a much more technically advanced than your average user. They can see past the shiny, magical devices and realize their limitations, drawbacks and how overpriced and controlled most of their devices are. Plus there are a lot of gamers here.

No, there is definitely an anti-apple slant, it's been here since the beginning and it has nothing to do with the users.
One thing to also consider is the nature of this site, this site is not simply a "tech site" that you get your news from, it's Hard OCP the key is in what the OCP means, which Apple by definition doesn't do. It's along the same lines of saying there's a lot of hate for Toyota on the Ford message boards and what not.

You also might want to look into Apple's demographics because they aren't the one's on the wrong end of the curve.

Considering that these days, getting into a college, & getting the grants/scholarships to pay for it, is more about what race or gender you are than anything else, a college education is hardly an indicator of intelligence. That half to 3/4 of the 2 and 4 year degree programs out there can be easily passed by a drunk brain damage monkey further casts doubts on any linking of intelligence to college education.

Besides. If only 30 or so years later, nobody remembers Nobutoshi Kihara, or Akio Morita, for the Walkman, which was every bit as revolutionary for its time as the iPod, why would anyone remember Jobs a full 50 years later?

Carnegie destroyed countless lives in his relentless drive to make money at all cost. Then, once he had more money than god and realized that someday he would die, he found god and began donating.

Sound a bit familiar?

No.

Bill Gates did not "destroy countless lives." Do you people realize you sound nuts?

It is not just the philanthropy. Microsoft has literally created the modern computer world. Businesses run on Microsoft software, the vast majority of home users run Microsoft software. Linux and MacOs are nice, but the reason there are online communities is because of millions and millions of Windows based computers. The internet took off, not because of universities linking mainframes but because of million of users on windows computers. Heck, even the new cluster linux "supercomputers", while running linux, use hardware that exists because of the market created by Windows.

Don't be racist against Scots.

7253329466_9999a42b65_z.jpg

It is not just the philanthropy. Microsoft has literally created the modern computer world. Businesses run on Microsoft software, the vast majority of home users run Microsoft software. Linux and MacOs are nice, but the reason there are online communities is because of millions and millions of Windows based computers. The internet took off, not because of universities linking mainframes but because of million of users on windows computers. Heck, even the new cluster linux "supercomputers", while running linux, use hardware that exists because of the market created by Windows.

Hey, give credit where it's due! Al Gore invented the Internet! :p

Bill Gates should be remembered, as he did far more for people (charity wise) than Steve Jobs ever did. I don't care how many people Steve Jobs has affected with his Apple line, you had to pay for those. What Bill is doing is amazing.

The internet took off, not because of universities linking mainframes but because of million of users on windows computers.
Your perspective on this makes no sense to me. It's akin to attributing the proliferation of paved roads to British Petroleum.

Steve Jobs will still be remembered. He fits right along with Ivan The Terrible, Judas and Dracula (Vlad the Impaler).

and not having a licence plate on his car what an ass. he never spoke to his real dady ,thing happen for a reason . if his real dad kept him their would be no apple.:eek:

I gotta say, people love to talk shit about Bill Gates, but I remember seeing a documentary or news piece about him. They asked him if he was running Microsoft because he loved getting rich, and he said he loved running the business because it was interesting, and that wealth was a side effect and he would probably just give it all away. That was in the 80s or early 90s, and you know what, he stuck to it. You have to admire that.

Back