Highest Contrast Displays Currently?

P1x3L

Weaksauce
What are the highest contrast (darkest blacks) - and secondarily, best colors. It will be used for reading and coding a lot - and sometimes movies and video editing (secondarily). Also, what about the current state of anti-glare technology? My previous displays had mat coating that I liked.
Thanks!

If you want big, this is a highly-rated 32" 4k panel with a 10-bit VA panel:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aoc-u3277pwqu-uhd-professional-monitor,5228.html

It's excellent for productivity, but a little slow for gaming. The large screen will give you plenty of working space, and the high resolution will give you excellent details when you need to edit things.

Best of all, it's about half the price of pro monitors from most other brands.

Just my luck. I was going to post about a monitor for productivity use and here's a thread.

Any recommendation for something sub 300 before I drop over 400?

Just my luck. I was going to post about a monitor for productivity use and here's a thread.

Any recommendation for something sub 300 before I drop over 400?

How big you want yours? The OP didn't provide any requests, so I just made a shot in the dark for big and 4k because he mentioned video editing.

Do you care about viewing angles (colleagues viewing over your shoulder), or will you be using it solo?

Last edited:
How big you want yours? The OP didn't provide any requests, so I just made a shot in the dark for big and 4k because he mentioned video editing.

Do you care about viewing angles (colleagues viewing over your shoulder), or will you be using it solo?

30 inch or there about is fine and it's just me looking at text and spreadsheets.

30 inch or there about is fine and it's just me looking at text and spreadsheets.

This is a great value if you want don't care about video editing (it has lower contrast). Good colors and large size, but IPS glow could be annoying to you if you tend to work in dark rooms.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F869T2500

And if you tend to work in darker rooms, go with something that has better contrast (MVA):

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP5W93603

If you work mostly with text 4k is a MUST. So the AOC linked in the second response or something similar (lg 32ud59b, etc.). Note that these are on the slower side pixel transition wise.

If you work mostly with text 4k is a MUST. So the AOC linked in the second response or something similar (lg 32ud59b, etc.). Note that these are on the slower side pixel transition wise.

Yes, I thought that was obvious in the context. I want 4k because I only intend to only keep one monitor on my desk.

I will look at the LG and I will read the review of the AOC. I have always bought Dell screens, feels wierd to be considering something else.

P1x3L So what are you thinking?

I need more information. I haven't bought displays since Eizo & high end CRTs were the best you could get... Just been on laptops mostly since. So, I need to learn about which screens have the best reliability, color accuracy, and best contrast (I don't want light coming from my blacks!).
For example, might Apple release a True Tone stand-alone display? Is there a True Tone equivalent on the market by another name already? Furthermore, I'll probably be running both from a single Macbook Pro.

I need more information. I haven't bought displays since Eizo & high end CRTs were the best you could get... Just been on laptops mostly since. So, I need to learn about which screens have the best reliability, color accuracy, and best contrast (I don't want light coming from my blacks!).
For example, might Apple release a True Tone stand-alone display? Is there a True Tone equivalent on the market by another name already? Furthermore, I'll probably be running both from a single Macbook Pro.

Quick google; true tone = ambient light sensor that adjusts white balance according to available light.

I'll tell you what i learned. IPS display is still the way to go in terms of image quality and viewing angles. But a 4k IPS panel is expensive, starting $600 and up.

This dell S2817Q I feel is a great price, in as close to 30 as I could find with the ports I need.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...17q/apd/210-ahiq/monitors-monitor-accessories

With coupon 'save12' its 351.99.

Edit:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...18q/apd/210-amlm/monitors-monitor-accessories

Last edited:
"What are the highest contrast (darkest blacks) - and secondarily, best colors."

For scale, to answer just that. OLED & CRT, CRT being bar none the lowest latency beating out LCD based screens in some cases by several frames faster.

EDIT: IPS has the worst black though. VA has better blacks but, higher latency which is probably due to the crystals in liquid crystal as explained in the video above.

"What are the highest contrast (darkest blacks) - and secondarily, best colors."

For scale, to answer just that. OLED & CRT, CRT being bar none the lowest latency beating out LCD based screens in some cases by several frames faster.

I figured... It's a shame everyone decided to stop making CRTs! Someone should come into the market making a super high end CRT! Based on this video which displays will have the best blacks, lowest latency, and reasonable resolution will not be entirely obvious.

When you look at 3d printing and custom PCBs and open source software and the crazy things folks are making these days. i'm kind of wondering if we give it enough time if some young guns with the help of a wise old man won't have some sort of crowd funding going on one day?

Grant it i try to save good and decent CRTs when possible, doesn't take much to tune em up, even when the geometry is all jacked up. some new or replacement "strips" maybe some capacitors and some spit shine, they are made of primarily glass and metal after all.

you might also hit up the fw900 if you have cash to score a nice fw900

https://hardforum.com/threads/24-widescreen-crt-fw900-from-ebay-arrived-comments.952788/

OLED as a technology has made CRT completely obsolete. All they need to do is drive OLED at high refresh rates with low input lag electronics.

OLED is completely hampered as currently packaged.

Dell 30 UltraSharp UP3017Q
Not the best for text because RGB subpixel structure is not perfect like on most LCD panels and possible burn-in when displaying static images.
Price might also be an issue :ROFLMAO:
But if you want 'Highest Contrast Displays Currently' then this is definitely it.

Other option is FALD LCD's but here small amount of backlight zones limit real life contrast ratio.

BTW. CRT is terribly bad for text and its high contrast is not entirely true. CRT are somewhat similar to FALD displays though with different characteristics. In some images black can quickly be lower than on any LCD.
CRT is best used along LCD monitor as support display just for games and movies then it might be great solution if you do not mind small size.
SONY GDM-FW900 is largest CRT monitor out there at 22.5" (real screen area) 16:10. It is imho adequate. Unfortunately this model is rare these days and obviously you will have very hard time finding unused unit if this is what you are interested in.
4:3 models are more plentiful but they tops on something like ~19.5" for Diamondtron with '22"' tubes and especially for wide screen content this is uncomfortably small. It is worth noting that Diamondtrons are considered as slightly sharper than Trinitrons and are better for text... which still doesn't matter as CRT is not recommended for text at all.

Highest contrast LCD panels out there are VA televisions with real static contrast ratio in the 5000-6000:1 area. They're not the best for text, though, because of the BGR subpixel arrangement that is common (mitigated by ClearType; Apple users are SOL). You also have to watch out for panels using static dithering. They're even worse for productivity, especially image editing, due to the very narrow viewing angles.

Back