Here Comes Microsoft Surface Pro, 64 Bits and All

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought sunshine makes smiles. I guess not if the sun emits no heat.

He's a sun made of ice, no really:

Ice-sun_Wallpaper_g81si.jpg

This is his TRUE form! :D

I'd buy it if I could afford it, hoping for a cheaper ASUS or MSI version.

Personally, I sorta think the Clover Trail version is the most practical. It looks like, compared to the GMA 3150 in n405-based netbooks, there's been lots of extra GPU added so some casual games will run better. Anandtech had a nice review on some aspects of performance, but, since it's not a gaming platform, they didn't go in great depth. I might just go get one for fun, but we'll see. It's expensive to buy as a disposable device, needs a keyboard accessory to be marginally useful, and there's so little storage after the OS and restore partition. Plus they don't come with Office like the RT versions. :(

Going around and counting posts, now that's weird.

I can't seem to pin settings to taskbar/star screen like I used before win8. Can you provide a workaround? Without Start8/classic shell that is.

Yep, because it's creepy that anyone would care.

It's not creepy, it's kinda like when you find out someone is a psychopath or serial killer or pedophile, you have a natural interest in what makes them so batshit crazy and do things like checking how many posts they make on [H] :D When someone makes thousands of posts in W8 and tablet threads, that's a level of crazy that it is completely natural to want to investigate.

It's not creepy, it's kinda like when you find out someone is a psychopath or serial killer or pedophile, you have a natural interest in what makes them so batshit crazy and do things like checking how many posts they make on [H] :D When someone makes thousands of posts in W8 and tablet threads, that's a level of crazy that it is completely natural to want to investigate.

Completely true. Always background check the people you date and read the post history of heatlesssuns on [H] for "evidence."

Right, cause other people haven't made perhaps even more posts in these threads that had nothing to do with Windows 8, like the one above.

Right, cause other people haven't made perhaps even more posts in these threads that had nothing to do with Windows 8, like the one above.

No, no they haven't, no other single person comes close.

I don't really get why you guys pick on heatlesssun.

Everyone has a product they like, at least the ones he likes are useful. Most of these conversations end up in the exact same direction it amazes me how all of you have so much time to argue the same thing in everythread of everyday.

I hear you like BeOS, Trimlock. We should start picking on you.

BeOS user! BeOS user!

:D

Personally, I sorta think the Clover Trail version is the most practical. It looks like, compared to the GMA 3150 in n405-based netbooks, there's been lots of extra GPU added so some casual games will run better. Anandtech had a nice review on some aspects of performance, but, since it's not a gaming platform, they didn't go in great depth. I might just go get one for fun, but we'll see. It's expensive to buy as a disposable device, needs a keyboard accessory to be marginally useful, and there's so little storage after the OS and restore partition. Plus they don't come with Office like the RT versions. :(

I'll have to see how Clover Trail will work with certain applications I use after loaded. I don't care about load times but I do care about portability and performance in the application. Sadly the most extensive game loaded on this may be desktop defender so the GPU isn't of much use for me :p

Intel is working on a full line of ULV CPU's. We should see a G series or maybe a Celeron series next to supplement the vast difference between a ULV i3(haven't seen this in a while)/i5/i7 and the Atom.

I hear you like BeOS, Trimlock. We should start picking on you.

BeOS user! BeOS user!

:D

Hmmm... This brought back some nerd nostalgia and I just found out Haiku is still being worked on?! :confused:

This might go on my media box!

I'll have to see how Clover Trail will work with certain applications I use after loaded. I don't care about load times but I do care about portability and performance in the application. Sadly the most extensive game loaded on this may be desktop defender so the GPU isn't of much use for me :p

Intel is working on a full line of ULV CPU's. We should see a G series or maybe a Celeron series next to supplement the vast difference between a ULV i3(haven't seen this in a while)/i5/i7 and the Atom.

Atoms are going into the >1 watt range eventually. Maybe, eventually into a x86-based phone with a not ARM OS I hope. The >10 watt Haswell announcement from Intel is pretty significant because it has important ramifications for upcoming tablet platforms and puts Core iWhatever CPUs into a smaller, possibly passively cooled package that makes current generation tablets probably obsolete. It prolly won't close the performance gap between tablets and desktops (more like never will when you have huge amounts more cooling and infinite power) but it'll be a good thing for productivity and entertainment if Intel is able to live up to the graphics performance hype they're feeding us already.

Next gen might be a better time to start making purchases. Win8 will ideally have some patching and service pack goodness and tablets will be more refined technology.

Atoms are going into the >1 watt range eventually. Maybe, eventually into a x86-based phone with a not ARM OS I hope. The >10 watt Haswell announcement from Intel is pretty significant because it has important ramifications for upcoming tablet platforms and puts Core iWhatever CPUs into a smaller, possibly passively cooled package that makes current generation tablets probably obsolete. It prolly won't close the performance gap between tablets and desktops (more like never will when you have huge amounts more cooling and infinite power) but it'll be a good thing for productivity and entertainment if Intel is able to live up to the graphics performance hype they're feeding us already.

Next gen might be a better time to start making purchases. Win8 will ideally have some patching and service pack goodness and tablets will be more refined technology.

If I can get a current gen for under $600 I'll get the next gen for the same price. The haswell counterpart won't compete with the i-series, actually it may compete with current but it won't compete with future parts. From the sounds of it intel may remove the i3 moniker and stick with i5/i7 on the ULV part, give us 2 versions of Atom (sub 1W and sub 8W) and give us which ever they want for inbetweeners; a G series or Celeron 8-12W.

Doesn't really matter what they go with but it should be important for them to get it out soon for OEMs to flood the market with the super cheap so they can make the super expensive (Surface Pro) look good. Hard to make something as nice as the Surface Pro look good when there isn't anything to compare it to.

Also Clover Trail is sub 1W already. It bitch slaps the Tegra3 over at Anand's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back