Here Comes Microsoft Surface Pro, 64 Bits and All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demonstratably false. In fact, I did demonstrate it was false a page or so ago, in a week where me and Skribble totalled 4 or 5 posts in W8/tablet threads, you made 104. So really, left unchecked, evidence suggests you actually post MORE. Also, you're one to talk about personal attacks, I think you're the only one who has resorted to direct personal attacks :rolleyes:

Just give it up.
He'll never listen.

Unless you enjoy poking the troll and want to see the thread implode, try not to make him go SSJ2 again. ;)

Just give it up.
He'll never listen.
It takes a something special to persist for such a long period against such opposition. I'm genuinely intrigued what it takes to keep someone on a forum harping on about the same crap for hours a day and month after month :D
Unless you enjoy poking the troll and want to see the thread implode, try not to make him go SSJ2 again. ;)
What can I say, I have a natural interest in destruction, I just don't have the patience you have to make him go SSJ2 :D

My biggest complaint about those Win8 lovers (I like it, but not love it) is that if someone says it's not efficient, or it's not as good, or a complaint, they get the Steve Jobs reply "You're doing it wrong". I've heard so many people say it's different and more difficult followed by "You need to learn keyboard shortcuts, you need to use it differently, blah...blah...blah...". Thing is, the mouse/keyboard have been the biggest improvement to the GUI in a long time. Touch is still in its infancy for the GUI. Windows 8 has some things right, but seems to go all in instead of slowly moving over. Some things aren't done as smooth as they could have been. I am sure a lot of it will change in Windows 9.

One thing to keep in mind is that touch isn't just for screens, it's been in track pads for some time. Windows 8 doesn't so much need a touch screen but a way to facilitate touch gestures. I'm using a Logitech T650 on my desktop and it's really makes a lot of things faster and easier than without. I can active the Start Screen with a three finger swipe up and launch anything at the start of my Start Screen than I could using the Start Menu. I agree that improvements to need to be made to the Start Screen, my only point here is that gestures can improve the experience of Windows 8 even on a desktop.

Heatlessun - do you spend any time in the Microsoft Communities forums? If you really want to help answer questions and set people straight, that's a very good outlet. I spend a lot of time there, and have for a long time (previously Microsoft Answers and before that it was usenet). I didn't have problems with Vista, but answered a lot of questions and problems. Same with Win8. I may not see too many issues, but by going through so many problems and seeing so many confused people asking the same questions over and over, it's very obvious that the UI just isn't as simple as Microsoft wanted. There are other problems, but they aren't as widespread. They are simple problems that you see across multiple OS's. But, if you want to help out over there, we could always use someone knowledgeable like yourself. (I don't work for Microsoft, just a volunteer helping out where I can.). But, like I said, you do get a very different outlook on the end users and what problems they face.

I check out a number of different places, including the Microsoft communities, most of my "real" tablet time is on TabletPCReview.com, if people think I'm fanatical about Windows 8 and tablets, they've not seen anything.

How many posts have you made that have had anything to do with Windows 8 and how many have been personal attacks on me in this thread? Why don't you count that.

I love the way you dance around comments even when it's random trolling. If you feel that a claim of fanaticism is a personal attack, my apologies, perhaps I'm just a coward :rolleyes:

I love the way you dance around comments even when it's random trolling. If you feel that a claim of fanaticism is a personal attack, my apologies, perhaps I'm just a coward :rolleyes:

You're skipping around my point that you've said almost nothing about Windows 8 or the Surface Pro in this thread. You've not really argued over anything I've actually said about Windows 8 or the Surface Pro in this thread, it's all been personal, which is pretty damned odd for someone that calls me a fanatic about this stuff.

You're skipping around my point that you've said almost nothing about Windows 8 or the Surface Pro in this thread. You've not really argued over anything I've actually said about Windows 8 or the Surface Pro in this thread, it's all been personal, which is pretty damned odd for someone that calls me a fanatic about this stuff.

I have not denied that, but it doesn't change the fact I make a point or a counter argument, and you dance around to change the subject, and yet, you still reply to me. Ballerina extraordinaire. :D You choose to reply to me, yet never actually reply to me, 'tis truly amazing.

It takes a something special to persist for such a long period against such opposition. I'm genuinely intrigued what it takes to keep someone on a forum harping on about the same crap for hours a day and month after month :D
:D

I'd say he's on par with the waterworks over at macrumors, sad really

I have not denied that, but it doesn't change the fact I make a point or a counter argument, and you dance around to change the subject, and yet, you still reply to me. Ballerina extraordinaire. :D You choose to reply to me, yet never actually reply to me, 'tis truly amazing.

All I'm saying is that if you come into a thread about a particular thing, why not talk about that thing and leave the personal stuff out of it? If you call that fanatical, so be it.

All I'm saying is that if you come into a thread about a particular thing, why not talk about that thing and leave the personal stuff out of it? If you call that fanatical, so be it.

You avoid everything that everyone says to you, on topic or not.
You just spew your opinions at everyone, then get mad at those same people when they don't agree with your fanaticism.

Big shocker.

Actually I would think that that's being more of a realist. I mean isn't this thread supposed to be about Windows 8 and the Surface Pro?

Actually I would think that that's being more of a realist. I mean isn't this thread supposed to be about Windows 8 and the Surface Pro?

it went in the twisted direction of a heatless thread again, not sure if its unavoidable really

You avoid everything that everyone says to you, on topic or not.
You just spew your opinions at everyone, then get mad at those same people when they don't agree with your fanaticism.

Big shocker.

Mad at a bunch of anonymous cyberbullies? I've got better use of anger than that.

it went in the twisted direction of a heatless thread again, not sure if its unavoidable really

Yes, if the word "Microsoft", "Windows", or "8" is in the thread title, expect a wave of heat from the heat-less sun.

Soon to be followed by cats, anime, and Linux goodness.

Mad at a bunch of anonymous cyberbullies? I've got better use of anger than that.

Need I bring up that "other" thread of yours where you tried to ban everyone, including yourself, over things that you started?
Yeah, I didn't think so.

You've dug yourself a gigantic hole.
Just be a man, admit your wrongs, and move on.

Believe me, we would have a lot more respect for you, and these threads, if you did.

Yes, if the word "Microsoft", "Windows", or "8" is in the thread title, expect a wave of heat from the heat-less sun.

Soon to be followed by cats, anime, and Linux goodness.

Hard to say anything about this stuff with all of you guys' endless personal attacks while saying nothing about Windows, Microsoft or 8. Which of course is part of why you do it.

At this point, none of us do.
Except you.

Actually I care about Windows 8 and new tech like the Surface Pro but unfortunately as of late all I seem to get presented with is a couple of individually attacking someone who actually contributes to the the thread I like reading. It's getting quite old guys.

Actually I care about Windows 8 and new tech like the Surface Pro but unfortunately as of late all I seem to get presented with is a couple of individually attacking someone who actually contributes to the the thread I like reading. It's getting quite old guys.

Actually I care about Windows 8 and new tech like the Surface Pro, but unfortunately for the last 6 or 7 months all I seem to get presented with is threads that devolves into heatlesssun show vs the world, regardless of whether it's on topic or off topic. You don't think we've all tried to contribute to these threads? You don't realise we've all gotten tired of it?

Actually I care about Windows 8 and new tech like the Surface Pro, but unfortunately for the last 6 or 7 months all I seem to get presented with is threads that devolves into heatlesssun show vs the world, regardless of whether it's on topic or off topic. You don't think we've all tried to contribute to these threads? You don't realise we've all gotten tired of it?
Whats so bad about someone being passionate about something and is willing to share his knowledge? Sure he may be a bit over the top on some things but lets be honest, it's not much different that those who attack him in just about every Windows thread and yet I don't see them getting called out for it.
Sure there is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion on a subject but these topics as of late have resorted to personal attacks and just flat out insults and they aren't all from Heatless ;).
As far as others contributing, yea, contributing to the demise of these threads. Not saying you personally though.

I think the Surface Pro has a long uphill battle if it wants to compete in the market, especially with the way the economy has been. Even if the specs are nice.

Oh my god, I love this thread. I only read the first three pages and I'm rolling. Must stop reading further, and save for future entertainment.

I have previously heard (almost) every argument dozens of times, but rarely all in one place. Recording my amazement is my only contribution.

Thank (some of) you.

Whats so bad about someone being passionate about something and is willing to share his knowledge? Sure he may be a bit over the top on some things but lets be honest, it's not much different that those who attack him in just about every Windows thread and yet I don't see them getting called out for it.

This is borderline horror show, if it was an intelligent discussion there wouldn't be any head butting. However. this was derailed into a heatless vs everyoneelse discussion, on topic or not.

Oh my god, I love this thread. I only read the first three pages and I'm rolling. Must stop reading further, and save for future entertainment.

I have previously heard (almost) every argument dozens of times, but rarely all in one place. Recording my amazement is my only contribution.

Thank (some of) you.

lol it is wintertime, i'll give you that

This is borderline horror show, if it was an intelligent discussion there wouldn't be any head butting. However. this was derailed into a heatless vs everyoneelse discussion, on topic or not.

I don't think four people is everyone.

I for one haven't found all that much wrong with his posts, and a few others, when things are on topic.
But it's threads like these, with the constant off topic attacks, that drive others away from wanting to have a civilized and intelligent discussion.
As I said before, it's getting old.

I for one haven't found all that much wrong with his posts, and a few others, when things are on topic.
But it's threads like these, with the constant off topic attacks, that drive others away from wanting to have a civilized and intelligent discussion.

at least we can agree on some things, here's a cat in return
zMjgR.jpg

Sure there is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion on a subject but these topics as of late have resorted to personal attacks and just flat out insults and they aren't all from Heatless ;).
As far as others contributing, yea, contributing to the demise of these threads. Not saying you personally though.

I think the Surface Pro has a long uphill battle if it wants to compete in the market, especially with the way the economy has been. Even if the specs are nice.

Thanks. As far as the success of the Surface Pro, it's actually a less radical device than the Surface RT. Of course it's not going to sell in large numbers, these kinds of devices have been around a while and sell in the thousands range. Microsoft can't be expecting anything even nearing a million. And really doubt it would want to sell that many high end devices because that would really piss off a lot of OEMs.

Create and run this script file, just name it sound.vbs:

Code:
set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
strStartMenu = WshShell.SpecialFolders("StartMenu")
set oShellLink = WshShell.CreateShortcut(strStartMenu & "\Sound.lnk")
oShellLink.TargetPath = "%systemroot%\System32\control.exe "
oShellLink.Arguments = "mmsys.cpl sounds"
oShellLink.WindowStyle = 1
oShellLink.IconLocation = "%systemroot%\System32\mmsys.cpl,7"
oShellLink.Description = "Sounds"
oShellLink.WorkingDirectory = "%systemroot%\System32\"
oShellLink.Save
Set oShellLink = Nothing
Wscript.Echo "A Control Panel Sound button has been created. You can now pin them to the Start Screen of your Windows 8 computer (if they are not already there)."

After it's run there should be a tile called "Sound" with a speaker icon. If the title isn't added to the start screen search for "sound" in all programs and it should show up there, then you should be able to pin it to the Start Screen.

Thanks, that worked. I just noticed you're actually heatless, not heartless. Damn :D

It's quite clear that these guys have no intention of actually discussing anything even remotely related to Windows 8, Surface, etc. I've asked repeatedly to drop the personal stuff and all that got was more personal attacks.

Thanks, that worked. I just noticed you're actually heatless, not heartless. Damn :D

Thanks and no problem. You can actually pin anything that can run from a command line to the Start Screen with this method. You just have to change TargetPath and Arguments properties. You'd need an icon inspector like MiTeC Icon Explorer to find the object and icon id to set the IconLocation property.

It's quite clear that these guys have no intention of actually discussing anything even remotely related to Windows 8, Surface, etc.
Because when we do, we know unless we conform to the heatlesssun view of the world we're going to have to read another condescending reply that dances around and avoids any actual points we might have made.
I've asked repeatedly to drop the personal stuff and all that got was more personal attacks.
Sorry, I don't consider pointing out obvious fanaticism as a personal attack. Now maybe if I went around calling people cowards and fucking cowards and the like, that could much more easily be construed as a personal attack :rolleyes:

Lol, after the comedic value wears thin, just use the ignore feature. You don't have to read danceslikeapolticians posts if don't want to.

Even easier than that is to not read or post in threads where you never have any intention of actually talking about the thread subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back