Here are AMD's Radeon VII Benchmarks

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Jan 10, 2019.

1. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

An upgrade from my 1070 SLI was going to be the 2080. However the 2080 still has the same framebuffer limitiations as my 1070 (8GB) and useless RTX.

Right now, an (old - 2017) game I'm playing (Shadow of war) with high res texture pack already eats > 8G. This means the 8G cards are useless for top eye-candy. My next upgrade will be 1080Ti or AMD new Radeon VII.

Nvidia should have gone with 12G on the 2080, really...

Full Disclosure: I have a 1440p Gsync monitor & a 1080p Freesync for my RX580 based box.

dvsman and ecktt like this.
  2. ecktt

ecktt Limp Gawd

You, sir, have provided the first reasonable argument I've herd. Everyone else has concentrated on bashing the competition and yet some how missed the fact that AMD massive 16 frame buffer could be usefully in those circumstances.

3. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

Still missing the 'allocated' versus 'used' part. The 16GB of VRAM is 'extra', the same way putting 8GB on an RX560 or GTX1050 would be.

4. bGm0

bGm0 n00b

5. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

A big plus would be getting it running functionally without the main dedicated hardware. DLSS goes hand-in-hand with RTX for Nvidia, as they'll need to be leveraged together to get the kind of performance demanded and move beyond the initial implementations seen in BF:V.

AMD already has non-hardware ray tracing in the stack, so if they can a DLSS-like setup going and get it tested in an engine or two, they'll have a chance to catch up from the software side.

bGm0 likes this.