Help with making move to Quad Core

Is there a recommendation on which dvd burner to use?
Flip a coin. Either will be ok.
So What will I do with the 460 in a couple months when I start to use m DELL? I think I need to get something that would accodate the dell now, I dont think I want to get a new vid card in a few months. What would the cost of a setup PSU/GPU cost for the Dell?

You said earlier you were going to hold off on the Dell. Now you've just said two months, which is the same time frame you were planning to get the Dell in the first place. So can you clarify exactly when you're gonna get the Dell?

Anyway, look at options A-D again, which are your options if you are really gonna get that Dell monitor in two months. Price lists for them:

A: $635
B: $470
C: $145 for the HD 5770. More than likely $400 for the new HD 6xxx series card. Possibly another $115 for a new 750W. So $660 total probably.
D: $555

Additional options:
Option E: HD 5970 + Corsair 850W PSU = $715
Option F: Intel Core i5 750 + Inel P55 mobo + 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM + GTX 460 1GB SLI + CM HSF = $950

Note that's the just the costs of the GPUs + new PSU alone. And I went with the cheapest GPUs possible. As noted earlier, options B and D are not exactly the best bang for the buck options.

Sorry for the confusion, but my inlaws will be driving down to visit us in two months, so I will be getting my Dell no matter what then. What I meant by holding off, was just that I would hold off using it right away. But after thinking about that, I dont want to get the 460, and then shortly after that change to something else. This build will last me at least one year possibly two, so I want to get the right stuff now.

What PSU would we betalking about for the 750W setup? Do you have preferred brands for these various combinations? If you were me, what would you do in this situation?

Sorry for the confusion, but my inlaws will be driving down to visit us in two months, so I will be getting my Dell no matter what then. What I meant by holding off, was just that I would hold off using it right away. But after thinking about that, I dont want to get the 460, and then shortly after that change to something else. This build will last me at least one year possibly two, so I want to get the right stuff now.

What PSU would we betalking about for the 750W setup? Do you have preferred brands for these various combinations? If you were me, what would you do in this situation?

Well I told you exactly what I would do in your situation: Get a cheap placeholder card like the HD 5770 1GB which is only $140 to tide me over and then buy the newer and faster video cards when they're released around the same time as the 30" monitor purchase. Seems like a far better use of the money then spending $470 to $650 up front on a card setup that'll be quickly outdated in less then two months and that you won't take full advantage of for two months.

PSU wise, I'd pick up these depending on the deals that week I'm buying:
$115 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU
$130 - XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W Modular PSU

XFX and Gigabyte would be my preferred brands for the video cards. XFX due to their lifetime warranty and Gigabyte for their cards being cheaper and quiter than others. And the fact that I have a preference for Gigabyte hardware.

I havent brought this up because I didn't think it would be in the mix, but I have a 9800GT, could I use that to hold me over until more advance hardware comes out?

I havent brought this up because I didn't think it would be in the mix, but I have a 9800GT, could I use that to hold me over until more advance hardware comes out?

You could. I mean you're looking at pretty much low settings at 1920x1080 but yeah if you already have it, use it.

How would this vid card x 2 compare to the 460? How would that setup work with the 30" monitor? Should I still wait and continue to use the 9800GT?

How would this vid card x 2 compare to the 460? How would that setup work with the 30" monitor? Should I still wait and continue to use the 9800GT?

The HD 5770 1GB would definitely outperform the GTX 460 IF the game actually scales well with Crossfire. The HD 5770 1GB Crossfire performs roughly the same as HD 5870 assuming decent scaling. It outperforms it with good scaling. It'll be ok with that 30" monitor but not max settings though considering that even the HD 5870 has trouble with that res. I say keep using the 9800GT.

Back