HELP Windows 10 Pro settings closes immediately

Light1984

Gawd
So I started my computer this morning and had some very odd behavior (W10 pro 20H2). The start menu only occasionally works when clicking start, often nothing happens, windows update immediately closes when I open it, windows virus quick scan runs but closes upon completion, Firefox was crashing randomly when trying to search for fixes. I've run sfc from powershell and dism. Neither fixed anything. I've removed my overclock, I've restored to an earlier restore point, I've booted to safe mode. Safe mode still has the same issues with windows settings closing immediately upon trying to open. I'm thinking something just got corrupted and I'll have to fresh install but wanted to check first if you experts had any ideas. I thought maybe my nvme drive could be a problem. Tried running smart check from WD program but it failed both quick and full. This didn't surprise me too much as I was never able to do a smart check, it had always said operation failed. Just figured it was WD software. Probably unrelated. Appreciate any help.

Odd, not sure how that would have happened. I don't go to any janky sites or download any unknown software

I don't have any way to test it. It's an nvme drive. What do you mean when you say scan it too?

Sounds like a virus infection to me so I wouldn't test the drive in another system. Create a W10 installation USB drive. From there you can attempt to do a re-install and keep your files and data. If that doesn't work, use the same drive to delete everything and start fresh.

How do I reinstall windows without losing data and files? I have a usb ready to go, I didn't see that option when I tried startup repair

I don't have any way to test it. It's an nvme drive. What do you mean when you say scan it too?
oh, thats a tough one then. scan it for virus/malware.
to reinstall windows over itself you have to start the install from the usb from within windows. make one, plug it in, open it, double click setup.exe and hope it works.

Sounds like a virus infection to me so I wouldn't test the drive in another system. Create a W10 installation USB drive. From there you can attempt to do a re-install and keep your files and data. If that doesn't work, use the same drive to delete everything and start fresh.
its an easy way to clean a drive and isnt a risk if you have up to date and active a/v.

Which version of Win10 are you on? At work I found a combination of Win10 version and graphics driver that would basically break the Start menu and the Win10 UI stuff. That was some time ago and I haven't seen it do that since then.

Win 10 Pro. Reinstalling from within windows now with the keep files and settings options checked. We'll see how it goes. Not convinced that will get rid of the virus if there is one. Would think a clean install would be the only way to truly get rid of a virus. I've never had a virus infection on a computer. This is a first for me.

Will I have to reinstall drivers Going this route?

Win 10 Pro. Reinstating from within windows now with the keep files and settings options checked. We'll see how it goes. Not convinced that will get rid of the virus if there is one. Would think a clean install would be the only way to truly get rid of a virus. I've never had a virus infection on a computer. This is a first for me
good. no it wont. yes usually. might not be, could be corrupted files or a possible flakey nvme(since youve never been able to test it).

The drive is only a couple months old. WD SN850 1TB. Tried to get the best I could when I built.

If I have to do a clean install from booted usb, do I need to worry about flashing bios, could that be corrupted/infected?

One thing I always try as the first resort is to run the online scan from eset.com... That might catch something if the infection is not too bad.
And in the worst case, you'll learn your lesson and back up your shit next time. Or... use a different OS even :)

If I have to do a clean install from booted usb, do I need to worry about flashing bios, could that be corrupted/infected?
If you didn't have bios protection on, yes it may well be infected. Remember that the infection can come from any website you visit "bad" or not. All it takes is the attacker to inject malicious code to an ad server and it will happily feed malware to advertisements running on your favorite "safe" sites.

Ok, how/where do I turn bios protection on? From within the bios I'm assuming? I didn't lose any data, always have things backed up. So this isn't too big an issue. The reinstall from USB in windows appears to have worked. Things are working correctly. Doing a full system scan and windows updates. Also had to reinstall Nvidia drivers. Could not get to Nvidia control panel before.

dont panic about a virus yet, someones flinging shit, hoping it sticks. it sounds more like drive issues or corruption to me and since a reinstall fixed it, was probably right. finish that full scan and if its clean, great, move onto testing the drive. open powershell(right click start menu) with admin and run: chkdsk c: /r /f

edit: if the gpu drivers give you greif, d/l DDU, run it and then install the new nv drivers.

I reinstalled gpu drivers over old ones. Working ok. Will run command in power shell. Thank you all for your help. Windows update failed on a couple of the newer updates. Wondering if that's what borked the system in the first place.

I reinstalled gpu drivers over old ones. Working ok. Will run command in power shell. Thank you all for your help. Windows update failed on a couple of the newer updates. Wondering if that's what borked the system in the first place.
no prob. it could have been failed updates. do you have a 3rd party a/v? ive seen them interfere before...

no prob. it could have been failed updates. do you have a 3rd party a/v? ive seen them interfere before...
So I just got windows to install the failed update and all the problems are back. I can't roll back the update though cause settings and windows update insta crash when I try to open them. Lol. At least it's not a virus.

So I just got windows to install the failed update and all the problems are back. I can't roll back the update though cause settings and windows update insta crash when I try to open them. Lol. At least it's not a virus.
which update is trashing your setup?

theres your culprit BUT any other a/v that could interfere? a repair install, again, will get it back up, again. you could try DISM to remove the last one: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5486-uninstall-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

Don't remember the number and can't get back in to see. Can't even click start menu again. Is there a way to roll back outside of windows update?
boot off the usb installer and you should be able to do it through the "repair you computer" link in the lower left.

I think it's KB5001330, no a/v except windows defender. I'll give those options a try. Thanks!!!
that the april cumulative update and there is also an update for the update 1336, i think.... if you get it going again, skip it.
edit: update(preview) to update is KB5001391

that the april cumulative update and there is also an update for the update 1336, i think.... if you get it going again, skip it.
edit: update(preview) to update is KB5001391
I'm not sure it gave me the option to skip installing that update. Is this another setting somewhere? Thanks for all your help. dism didn't work, kept failing. Reinstalling from USB within windows. Will try to skip the update causing issues

Last edited:
I'm not sure it gave me the option to skip installing that update. Is this another setting somewhere? Thanks for all your help. dism didn't work, kept failing. Reinstalling from USB within windows. Will try to skip the update causing issues
just turn off updates for a month, defender will still update, and hopefully it will get sorted in that time.

Well I'm at a loss. Installed fresh, paused updates. Installed Firefox from scratch from new download. It's still crashes randomly.. Maybe my nvme drive is going bad. Very weird behavior. Everything else seems to be working though.

Well I'm at a loss. Installed fresh, paused updates. Installed Firefox from scratch from new download. It's still crashes randomly.. Maybe my nvme drive is going bad. Very weird behavior. Everything else seems to be working though.
unstable bios settings with asus board is certainly possible. like it may run what appears stable at that ram speed and timings but i would see if slower settings has any effect just to rules it out.

unstable bios settings with asus board is certainly possible. like it may run what appears stable at that ram speed and timings but i would see if slower settings has any effect just to rules it out.
I've been running stable for awhile, not sure why it would have an effect now and on only one program. Both standard and beta versions of firefox crash now. Edge works fine, wont use chrome... very very odd behavior.

thats a good point^^
op, what speed is your ram at, 4000?

I've been running stable for awhile, not sure why it would have an effect now and on only one program. Both standard and beta versions of firefox crash now. Edge works fine, wont use chrome... very very odd behavior.
there have been several threads about 570 boards and bios issues or a dying battery could cause goofiness.

apparently you know more than everyone here since your pc is running perfect.....oh wait

Wow, what a mess this thread is turning out to be, might s well jump right in.
So for troubleshooting purposes, we generally like to use default settings, and ditch the overclocks, stick with XMP (or whatever AMD calls it) at the most. Just so we can rule out any nasty hardware gremlins in our software.

OK, that being said, if Firefox is your only issue right now, it's probably not a general hardware issue, but an issue with Firefox. I just noticed an update, make sure she's updated see how things go from there.

EDIT: I just restarted FF, and she went from 88.0 to 88.0.1, that should be your latest build.

tick with XMP (or whatever AMD calls it) at the most
xmp = overclocked ram. jedec standard is the default speeds. your point is valid though, will rule out XMP issues and i dont think his cpu is OC'd

loaded optimal settings in bios before troubleshooting. thank you for those that are actually trying to help.

Back