Help upgrading

The corsair that is 3600 is cl18... which would be best for that amd cpu?
The hyperx has slightly better timings but not enough to make much of a difference. So whichever you prefer.
The tuf is a solid choice. It and the tomohawk are the two most highly reviewed budget x570 mbs. The qvl is the mb manufacturers list of suggested memory kits.

Last edited:
The corsair that is 3600 is cl18... which would be best for that amd cpu?
Get the 850W PSU. It gives you some headroom when you upgrade in the future. CL18 RAM is okay. For gaming, you will not notice the difference. Still, there's a good chance you can tighten the timings manually. If you're going to put your AIO cooler on the 5800x you'll probably have to call Corsair for the AM4 brackets. It's likely they will ship them to you free or at very little cost. If you would rather upgrade your cooler, look at the Noctua line. The NH-D15 is a beast!

Embrace the journey, man.

Man I think I threw that all out ugh I built this pc 7 yrs ago and moved since lol... is it possible to buy thru corsair? What is life of these aio coolers?
They might be able to provide you with a bracket. I was missing a piece from a cooler a bought from them 6-7 years ago and they shipped me one for free just for asking. It's definitely worth contacting them about. In terms of AIO lifespan, I've heard as low as 5 years and as long as 12-15. I kept my prior one for 7 years with no issues. I gave it to a friend who's probably still using it now.

Mizzer so no matter what cl16 or 18 won't make any difference in gaming?
how is that air cooler that good? Can it really keep cpu cool in summer as good as my h100i?
hititnquitit: do I really want a budget mobo to go with that 5800x? What if I overclock will I want a better mobo with over clocking ability?

how is that air cooler that good? Can it really keep cpu cool in summer as good as my h100i?
hititnquitit: do I really want a budget mobo to go with that 5800x? What if I overclock will I want a better mobo with over clocking ability?
1: Correct. In gaming, CL16 to CL18 might show a 2% drop in fps at lower resolutions.
2. My money's on the Noctua NH-D15s compared to your 7 year old AIO. Seriously, it's a great cooler. BUT if you ant to save $$ just reuse your AIO.
3. Your budget is your budget. For me, building PCs is a hobby. I can spend $50 or $5,000 depending upon my budget. Decide what your budget is and go from there.

Itll oc a 5800x just fine. Your only limitation would be if you chose to upgrade to a 5900x and oc it or run a 5950x later on.
From the sounds of your responses i assumed you were looking to save money while maintaining the ability to oc a little. Not to mention the choices at BB are pretty limited...most of the mid/high end boards they offer are a couple hundred more.

Ok I'm thinking of just getting the mobo off Amazon since I won't save that much from no tax at best buy. What would be best mobo and ram from Amazon that is in the 200 to 220 range? Is it best to get a x570 or b550 boards?

Ok I'm thinking of just getting the mobo off Amazon since I won't save that much from no tax at best buy. What would be best mobo and ram from Amazon that is in the 200 to 220 range? Is it best to get a x570 or b550 boards?
The only ones i would consider in that price range are the msi x570 tomahawk for $250 and the tuf plus. For memory i would look for either gskill or crucial 2x16gb or 2x8gb c16 kits in your price range. I havent paid very close attention to whats what recently because of the price increases.

What’s your budget and what components do you need?
Whatever is best to pair with the 5800x and crucial 3600mhz ram! Hit it said msi x570 tomahawk for $250 or the tuf plus 188.. don't want to pay more if performance isn't better

Get the MSI Tomahawk. It’s the best mobo for the $.
But it's also 250.. actually 269 bc Amazon does not have it in stock.. is it the best mobo at that price range? Kind of sucks Amazon doesn't have it in stock

What is that lol is that better than new egg? Also is the msi mobo the best one for 250 or is there something better at that price range?
buy it or dont...they gave you an answer. This is exactly why most dont bother touching this question. There is NO perfect answer

What is that lol is that better than new egg? Also is the msi mobo the best one for 250 or is there something better at that price range?
Get it or don’t. I’ll answer more questions after you get the Tomahawk.

Get it or don’t. I’ll answer more questions after you get the Tomahawk.
I ended up grabbing the tomahawk from Amazon only bad part is it won't arrive until may 11 to the 15 while the 5800x is coming may 7th. I don't trust Newegg for returns and Amazon is the best for that in case I have issues. Sorry I was hesitant as I've never owned an msi board or pc part in my life lol I've always run asus boards and 1 gigabyte board. Both boards are running to this day. The gigabyte board is going on 15 years lol asus around 8 both over clocked to the max. I keep my pcs for a long time and don't upgrade until 5 to 7 years down the line so reliability is super important especially with a motherboard bc it's the hardest part to take out if you have issues...

Last edited:
I ended up grabbing the tomahawk from Amazon only bad part is it won't arrive until may 11 to the 15 while the 5800x is coming may 7th. I don't trust Newegg for returns and Amazon is the best for that in case I have issues. Sorry I was hesitant as I've never owned an msi board or pc part in my life lol I've always run asus boards and 1 gigabyte board. Both boards are running to this day. The gigabyte board is going on 15 years lol asus around 8 both over clocked to the max. I keep my pcs for a long time and don't upgrade until 5 to 7 years down the line so reliability is super important especially with a motherboard bc it's the hardest part to take out if you have issues...
Good choice. And good choice to go with Amazon for returns. I’ve build 3 systems with MSI boards. They were all solid. Check back in May. You’re going to love the board.

Good choice. And good choice to go with Amazon for returns. I’ve build 3 systems with MSI boards. They were all solid. Check back in May. You’re going to love the board.
Will do thanks for the help. Will prob need help with bios settings as I've never had an amd chip or msi mobo lol

I mostly buy Asus boards as well for last 4 times....They are good but it just looks like most of the current prices for them are around 200 more for same type models. (And trust me they are buy no means perfect from one bios to the next)

Looking to upgrade my regular sata ssd that windows 10 is on. Now that I have a board that supports pcie4.0 is the

Sabrent 500GB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-500) a good choice for 89? Trying to stay under 100 bucks​

Also there is

Western Digital 500GB WD Blue SN550 NVMe Internal SSD - Gen3 63$​

What do you guys think?

Looking to upgrade my regular sata ssd that windows 10 is on. Now that I have a board that supports pcie4.0 is the

Sabrent 500GB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-500) a good choice for 89? Trying to stay under 100 bucks​

Also there is

What do you guys think?
The Sabrent drives are generally considered to be near the top of the pack. Especially compared to the WD Blue. Though if you game a lot, you probably want to keep your games on an SSD. 500GB is fairly tight for that purpose.

Also there is

What do you guys think?
Ive heard good things about the sabrent drives as well.
Also im pretty sure the sn550 isnt a pcie 4.0 drive ; )

I have another 1TB drive WD - WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe for gaming. This 500gb drive will mainly be for windows 10, programs, and if I need to use it for games as well but I still have 550gb open on the 1tb drive and I usually delete games after I beat them.

hititnquitit: I know it's a Gen 3i was just wondering if it's worth going with gen4
Will the Gen 4 make any diff in gaming Vs gen 3?

I have another 1TB drive WD - WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe for gaming. This drive will mainly be for windows 10, programs, and if I need to use it for games that as well but I still have 550gb open on the 1tb drive and I usually delete games after I beat them.
Will the Gen 4 make any diff in gaming Vs gen 3?
At this very moment, the PCIE gen 4 will make the biggest impact on loading times. However, their are certain games that it may make a bigger difference on during play. This will likely increase over time. But, in general the impact is minimal as it is pretty hard for a drive to saturate a PCIE gen 3 lane anyway. I believe something like flight sim 2020 is an example of where you might see a difference. Based on your current rig, I don't think you are playing that game. There are likely others. But, i don't have a breakdown on that.

If ya got it ya might as well use it right!?
Altho if you can find a sweet deal on say a high end 1tb 3 vs a 500gb 4 thats a different story but other than that id go with a gen 4 despite the limited difference in real world, noticeable improvements.

If ya got it ya might as well use it right!?
Altho if you can find a sweet deal on say a high end 1tb 3 vs a 500gb 4 thats a different story but other than that id go with a gen 4 despite the limited difference in real world, noticeable improvements.
I am using the 1 tb nve gen3 for gaming so I figure 500gb is good for windows, programs and if I run out of space on the 1tb I can put games there as well.

I am using the 1 tb nve gen3 for gaming so I figure 500gb is good for windows, programs and if I run out of space on the 1tb I can put games there as well.

If you're just going to use the NVME drive for an OS partition a half terabyte is fine. Get a separate 1 or 2TB SATA drive for games.

If you're only going to have one drive for the OS and games, you will need at least a 1TB NVME SSD. Game installations are getting huge.

Games don't benefit as much from NVME right now, although I expect that to change relatively soon. But once you go NVME for your OS, you'll never go back. NVME is to SATA SSDs what SATA SSDs were to spinning platters.

Capture.JPG

I really want to swap to m2 drive myself but apears i need 2TB for my OS drive.

View attachment 352946
I really want to swap to m2 drive myself but apears i need 2TB for my OS drive.
Not sure what is taking up all that space. You must have some data from some big files there? I keep all of my data on a separate drive. So my OS drive is really just my OS. That way I can easily do something with the OS and the data is safe. It also makes backup a breeze. You could install the OS on a new NVME and keep that 2TB SSD for data only.

Not sure what is taking up all that space. You must have some data from some big files there? I keep all of my data on a separate drive. So my OS drive is really just my OS. That way I can easily do something with the OS and the data is safe. It also makes backup a breeze. You could install the OS on a new NVME and keep that 2TB SSD for data only.
This is what I do as well. BTW where can you still buy win 10 pro oem keys for cheap? I can no longer use my previous key bc it's tied to my old motherboard that I'll be replacing...

Capture.JPG

Mostly games installs thru steam,origin and what not

Last edited:
Back