Help upgrading

warhol76

Weaksauce
View attachment 353032
Mostly games installs thru steam,origin and what not
I see. As mentioned there are larger PCIE 4 NVME available. Though you will pay a bit of a premium for that. You could also offload some of those games to that data drive as well. I do actually keep the steam games I am currently playing on my main OS drive. When I am done with it/ need room or haven't played in a while, I will move them to the data drive. When I need to do something to change the OS drive, i can move all of them. This is easily done with Steam. Not saying my way is the best. But, it is how I manage things without needing a 2TB OS drive. Just a thought!

Pivo504

2[H]4U
I see. As mentioned there are larger PCIE 4 NVME available. Though you will pay a bit of a premium for that. You could also offload some of those games to that data drive as well. I do actually keep the steam games I am currently playing on my main OS drive. When I am done with it/ need room or haven't played in a while, I will move them to the data drive. When I need to do something to change the OS drive, i can move all of them. This is easily done with Steam. Not saying my way is the best. But, it is how I manage things without needing a 2TB OS drive. Just a thought!
Mizzer: thanks for the heads up!!
Also you could just delete games your done with like I do..I beat gtav recently and don't play it online so I deleted it. Same goes for any single player games I beat no point in keeping it on the hdd anymore and saves a ton of space bc games are the biggest things on my drives... also instead of having 20 games downloaded on your pc just download 1 until you beat it then go on to the next, I also do this.. really no point in needing 1tb for games using this method lol

Domingo

Fully [H]
FYI, you can still use the same Windows 10 Home (or Pro for that matter) license even if you swap motherboards. You usually just have to login to your Microsoft account and remove the older device. At worst you might have to give 'em a call and they'll take care of it for you over the phone. They're more finicky with Pro, but re-licensing Win 10 Home with a new Mobo is pretty simple.

warhol76

Weaksauce
FYI, you can still use the same Windows 10 Home (or Pro for that matter) license even if you swap motherboards. You usually just have to login to your Microsoft account and remove the older device. At worst you might have to give 'em a call and they'll take care of it for you over the phone. They're more finicky with Pro, but re-licensing Win 10 Home with a new Mobo is pretty simple.
I agree with this. It definitely isn't the old days; when you had no chance of them transitioning a license. They want people to have windows 10. I am a bit surprised that they haven't just started letting individuals have it for free.

Pivo504

2[H]4U
Can you do this over live chat with Microsoft? I hate waiting for people over the phone lol. Is there something special I need to say to make it work lol I have win 10 pro. I don't plan on reusing the old motherboard but keeping it as a backup if something ever happens. Would be great if I could reuse the key

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
I thought that was the entire point of different retail and oem keys?

warhol76

Weaksauce
Can you do this over live chat with Microsoft? I hate waiting for people over the phone lol. Is there something special I need to say to make it work lol I have win 10 pro. I don't plan on reusing the old motherboard but keeping it as a backup if something ever happens. Would be great if I could reuse the key
Not sure about the live chat piece. I am totally with you on hating to be on hold for the phone. In my experiences, just tell the truth. You don't have to have an elaborate story. If you are changing mobo and not planning to use it for another windows machine, you should be just fine. As mentioned, they are a bit more finicky about pro licenses. But, this sounds pretty cut and dry.

Domingo

Fully [H]
I agree with this. It definitely isn't the old days; when you had no chance of them transitioning a license. They want people to have windows 10. I am a bit surprised that they haven't just started letting individuals have it for free.

With Home they almost do. They'll go out of their way to set you up with a key, even if you don't have one. With Pro...not so much. Somehow I ended up with a fully licensed copy of Win 10 Pro last year. I did a clean install with a disk and I guess I chose "Pro." Yet the damned thing activated just fine. When I swapped mobos, it would NOT re-activate. I called and jumped through all the hoops, but they weren't having it. They just kept telling me to start over and re-install the Home version. Luckily there are videos that offer instructions how to hop between the two versions with a few registry edits.

warhol76

Weaksauce
With Home they almost do. They'll go out of their way to set you up with a key, even if you don't have one. With Pro...not so much. Somehow I ended up with a fully licensed copy of Win 10 Pro last year. I did a clean install with a disk and I guess I chose "Pro." Yet the damned thing activated just fine. When I swapped mobos, it would NOT re-activate. I called and jumped through all the hoops, but they weren't having it. They just kept telling me to start over and re-install the Home version. Luckily there are videos that offer instructions how to hop between the two versions with a few registry edits.
I think your situation was a little different. You had win10 activated to Pro with a Home key. I can see why they didn't want to give you Pro...

Domingo

Fully [H]
I think your situation was a little different. You had win10 activated to Pro with a Home key. I can see why they didn't want to give you Pro...

I agree, I was just a little surprised how unhelpful they were about the whole thing. The dude got very accusatory and ended up hanging up on me when I asked how it showed me as having an activated Pro license in multiple different places. With Home-related issues they hand out activation codes left and right...even though the OS is 98% the same. They don't even ask for your Win 7 or 8 serial anymore. They just ask if you owned one of them and then they'll just create one on the spot. I've done that twice with systems I've built for friends.

Axman

Supreme [H]ardness
How will it still work if it's tied to my old mobo? And I don't have any win 7 or 8 keys plus I want win 10 pro lol

It isn't, and they will mostly accept old Windows keys to activate Windows 10. There are also workarounds if they don't immediately accept the older keys, but I've never had any problems and haven't had to use them.

Denpepe

[H]ard|Gawd
Not sure about the live chat piece. I am totally with you on hating to be on hold for the phone. In my experiences, just tell the truth. You don't have to have an elaborate story. If you are changing mobo and not planning to use it for another windows machine, you should be just fine. As mentioned, they are a bit more finicky about pro licenses. But, this sounds pretty cut and dry.
not sure how it is where you guys live, but over here it's just an automated system, have to punch in the code windows gives you and the computer gives you your new key.