Help upgrading

Pivo504

2[H]4U
I'm thinking is finally time to upgrade my gaming pc but not sure if now is the best time. I am currently on a [email protected],16gb ram, asus 970gtx. This is what I put together but not sure if this is best. I still want it to be future proof as I don't upgrade often but 5 to 7 yrs as you can see above lol also plan on reusing my corsair h100i cooler if possible?
Cpu Intel i7 10700 not sure if I should get the k version?
mobo ASUS ROG STRIX B560-A GAMING WIFI LGA 1200 Intel B560
Ram Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16
Also will upgrade gou to 3060 or 3070 when stock.
Suggestions?

Last edited:
id go 32gb of the ram since its not bad for the price
Is that really needed for gaming? And does that mean getting 16x2 or 8x4? Also what do you think about the rest of the parts? Is that the best bang for your money and still be future proof for gaming ? Also want to stick with nvdia for gpu since I have a g sync monitor.

Is that really needed for gaming? And does that mean getting 16x2 or 8x4? Also what do you think about the rest of the parts? Is that the best bang for your money and still be future proof for gaming ? Also want to stick with nvdia for gpu since I have a g sync monitor.
we dont usually build a pc for Today only....IF i were building one today it would use 2 16GB sticks. As far as gpus your stuck getting what ever you can find. I would pull the trigger in a second ANY msrp priced new generation gpu available....just the way it is.

32GB has been necessary for anything on Windows for a while, frankly. I recognize I'm a heavy PC user, but if you are using a PC for more than one thing at a time and you want it to run smoothly, every day, all the time, yeah 32GB

I would recommend 2x16. Leaves you room to expand later if needed. Seeing you have a 4th gen CPU currently, you obviously like to have our PC last. With that in mind, I would go the k sku on the processor as well. However, you should no it is going to be quite a while before GPU stock normalizes.

How would the Intel build compare to amd revenue 7 5800x, msib450 tomahawk mobo??

The 5800x is certainly going to give you more performance and more cores. It currently costs $120 more. But, that is right around MSRP. You lose the integrated GPU, if that is at all important to you. the 5800x is a solid CPU. I believe the thermals would be better on the 5800x as well.

So is the 5800x a better buy over the 10700k? I plan to go with a Nvidia card as my monitor is a g sync 144hz panel.
Try to piece together the cpu, mobo and ram as I will be reusing everything else from my old build.

So is the 5800x a better buy over the 10700k? I plan to go with a Nvidia card as my monitor is a g sync 144hz panel.
Try to piece together the cpu, mobo and ram as I will be reusing everything else from my old build.
there equal performance so its a wash which ever side you choose for. Yea before this latest cpu release from intel i would go AMD for sure, but now its doesnt really matter. its not like AMD is sitting a large quantity's of un sold merchandise. I also see the benefit of having a built in apu for those times we have to trouble shoot our cards and or wait for replacements.

Does Intel see better fps in games when paired with a Nvidia card Vs amd and nvdia? I am def going nvdia bc i have a g sync monitor.
Also would your best bang for money be the 10700k or some other Intel cpu ? I see that it has 8 cores Vs 6 on the other Intel cpus.. but when I do a Google search for best cpu in 2021 for gaming most say Intel Core i5 11600K but it only has 6 core
I want to be future proofed for games in this case.

Last edited:
Typically games don't utilize multi-core threading. So having more cores doesn't dramatically impact most games. If you are doing other work on you system such as video editing, the multi core aspect will affect what you are doing in a meaningful way. If you happen to go with AMD for your CPU, you should definitely increase your RAM speed as the AMD CPUs utilize the faster speed better. I believe the 11th gen intel CPUs also can utilize faster RAM. But, I am not certain how much of an impact that has. Based on everything I have seen the i5 11600K is well positioned based on bang for the buck performance.

i would NOT buy a cpu with less cores just to save a small amount of money
What would you suggest getting to get the best bang for your money gamingwise cpu, mobo, ram combo? One that has good over clicking potential as well

What would you suggest getting to get the best bang for your money gamingwise cpu, mobo, ram combo? One that has good over clicking potential as well
I am quite surprised nobody has asked you what your goals are for this PC. What display will you be gaming on? What resolution and refresh rate? Does it have VRR of any kind? Are you planning to also buy a new monitor in the near future to game on that this PC is to be built for?

Futureproofing is a fool's errand when building a gaming PC. Only thing I would build for today is having PCI-E 4.0. Otherwise performance is such a wash between different manufacturers that I would go with whatever is cheaper and available in your target performance bracket.

I mentioned above that I'm running a 144hz g sync monitor 27 inch so 1440p. But I only use that for 1st person shooters. I have my pc connected to a large 55 inch 1080p TV that I do all other gaming on such as 2d games and 3rd person games with a controller. What mobo, ram cpu would you suggest for best bang for money plus somewhat future proof having pci4

I mentioned above that I'm running a 144hz g sync monitor 27 inch so 1440p. But I only use that for 1st person shooters. I have my pc connected to a large 55 inch 1080p TV that I do all other gaming on such as 2d games and 3rd person games with a controller. What mobo, ram cpu would you suggest for best bang for money plus somewhat future proof having pci4
Sorry, I must have missed that.

If you're going to stick with the 2560x1440 G-SYNC monitor as the top of your performance bracket then I would go with a RTX 3070 if you can get your hands on one for under $700 (I would not go over $800). A 2080 SUPER might be a decent stopgap for under $600 or even a 1080 Ti if you don't care about ray tracing for the time being.

CPU I would go with either a 5600X or 5800X depending on how much money you want to spend. You get 2 more physical cores with the latter for $80 more. It seems more games are taking advantage of processors with at least 8 cores, so it might be worth it to spend extra on the 8-core 5800X (I would). I cannot recommend prior gen Ryzen due to the performance delta compared to current prices, but if you can find a 3800XT for under $400 it may be worth it.

For memory I cannot recommend any less than 32GB regardless of your performance target. I had to live with 16GB temporarily recently due to a motherboard problem and it was a pain just doing things I normally do outside of gaming. For these new AMD processors I would shoot for DDR4-3600 or DDR4-3866 with with 2x16GB sticks. Somebody else will have to give a specific recommendation on the memory front since I work primarily in Intel systems rights now.

An Intel system isn't out of the question since the 11th gen trades blows with the equivalent AMD processors. Again, it comes down to availability and real retail/used prices. You would exchange the 5600X for the 11600K or the 5800X for the 11700KF (10th gen does not support PCI-E 4.0). You could go either 3200 or 3600 MT/s memory on an Intel system, same capacity otherwise.

What mobo, ram, cpu combo would be best for amd 5800x and also 11700k ? I plan on reusing my corsair h100i cooler if possible. Does msi make good mobo? The price difference between the two cpu above is very minor so whatever performs the best in gaming? Also I do alot of emulation of consoles and read that Intel is better than amd for this, is that true?

Last edited:
Bump anyone! Want to get this build going before summer hits. Got that itch to build a pc its been 7 years!!!

For AMD: The MSI Tomahawk WiFi is a winner. Pair it with a 5800x and get 3600Mhz Ram at 16CL

What about Intel? Would it be better to go with a 10 core cpu and one that supports pcie 4.0?

What about Intel? Would it be better to go with a 10 core cpu and one that supports pcie 4.0?
Not sure. Depends on what you use it for. My recommendations where based upon what I would do, today, in your situation.

if you have a Microcenter near you the amd 5800x is still $429 i got one love it !

amd is teh king right now Honestly price for Performance and for future as of right now for all around pc gaming daily usage

You say you will upgrade to a 3060 or 3070 when in stock but when do you see that happening? Do you expect to see a huge difference while gaming if you are still using your 970gtx? Maybe decide which cpu/mobo/ram you want but don't purchase them until you have the gpu in hand.
Also consider replacing your psu. I once kept re-using a psu until it blew and took out my hard drives with it. Now I upgrade the psu if i am upgrading the mobo. There was a review on hardocp where a 10 year old psu was tested. Wish I could locate the article and review that data again.

if you have a Microcenter near you the amd 5800x is still $429 i got one love it !
Unfortunately I do not have a microcenter nearby I live in New Orleans.. best buy has the 5800x for 449 in stock just need a mobo and ram I want to buy all the parts from best buy

Zeoclang: shouldn't I see big diff between 970 and 3070 lol even if I don't get a3070 just upgrading the cpu should make a big difference as well. My psu is about 7 years old I am using a seasonic gold 750watt . What psu is good to get

I have tax exempt from best buy but I don't see the msi tomahawk mobo you guys mentioned and I only e corsair 3600mhz ram with cl18. What is best mobo and ram to get that best buy seeks so I can use the no tax?

Last edited:
Big mistake making a new pc with 7year old supply Although i would keep it as a backup spare for troubleshooting.
Very true. Which one do you recommend that is sold at best buy? I'd like to get one with more than 750 watt if needed? I need modular and clean looking wiring. Also best recommendation for mobo and ram for 5800x from best buy?
Also just noticed the 5800x doesn't even come with a cooler....I thought these came with really good coolers??

Last edited:
Most other questions have been answered, but I should mention that your current cooler (H100i) will work with both AMD and Intel boards sans any issues. You just need to make sure that you still have the brackets that came with it. Intel boards mount with 4 screws while AMD board mount with 2 hooks instead. The H100i comes with hook-ups for both...but most people tend to either throw away the other or at least toss it into a box and forget about it.

Mb- ASUS - TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
Cpu- 5800x
Mem- ddr4 3600 hyperx or corsair, whichever is on the mb qvl.
Psu- Seasonic focus gx850
All at BB.
That is a solid gaming rig that will go perfectly with any modern gpu.

Your biggest bottle neck for 1440p 1st person gaming will be using the 970. I'm sure just upgrading the cpu will provide a slight fps boot but I wouldn't expect anything drastic.
I would also recommend a Seasonic. Take a look at the FOCUS GX-750.

Most other questions have been answered, but I should mention that your current cooler (H100i) will work with both AMD and Intel boards sans any issues. You just need to make sure that you still have the brackets that came with it. Intel boards mount with 4 screws while AMD board mount with 2 hooks instead. The H100i comes with hook-ups for both...but most people tend to either throw away the other or at least toss it into a box and forget about it.
Man I think I threw that all out ugh I built this pc 7 yrs ago and moved since lol... is it possible to buy thru corsair? What is life of these aio coolers?

Your biggest bottle neck for 1440p 1st person gaming will be using the 970. I'm sure just upgrading the cpu will provide a slight fps boot but I wouldn't expect anything drastic.
I would also recommend a Seasonic. Take a look at the FOCUS GX-750.
I was thinking the focus but should I go 850 instead of 750? So are you saying that just keeping my current hardware and upgrading to a 3070 is good enough lol

Cpu- 5800x
All at BB.
The corsair that is 3600 is cl18... which would be best for that amd cpu?

Cpu- 5800x
All at BB.
Is the asus tuf the best mobo for that price or even 230. I don't want to skimp on mobo! What is mb qvl

Back