Help on Newbie i7 OC? 920 & P6T Deluxe

Yoprado

n00b
Hello,

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7291/76042071.jpg

I've now run 230 passes of Linx and 5 hours of prime95 at the same time with about an 80 degrees on load. Is this ok? I have 1.25 cpu voltage and 1.275 QPI/DRAM core voltage. it idles low 40s high 30s. its at 3.8 ghz right now with 181x21. I had to lower my ram speed to 1444. should i see if i can increase my ocz gold 1600 to 1800?

Also, any advice on what i should do to decrease this heat? I have everything enabled except for virtualization and would like to keep HTing on. I have a Noctua NH-U12P.
Just a remake of my voltages:

Asus P6T Deluxe V1
Core i7 920 3.8 GHz 181x21 @ 1.25v with QPI/DRAM Core Volt @1.275
Ocz gold 6gb(3x2gb) 1600 @ 1448 8-8-8-21-1T 1.56V (Standard 1.65V 1600 8-8-8-24-1T)
Everything else on stock voltages

Any help would be appreciated! thanks in advanced

I'm going through a similar thing, but with a Rampage 2 Extreme.

Basically, those temps are relatively normal, but then again I'm running 1.35 cpu voltage and 190x20. It may be a little hot for the voltage you've got. Also, I've turned off all the power save/speedstep features. I'm wondering myself if I should turn them on once I've gotten my "max" OC set nicely.

80s under LinX with my unlapped TRUE is about what I'm running.

2r76iba.png

25a4rol.png

swiftech mcr320, gtz, thermal take pump and res, p182

oc1.jpg

8 hours of Linx AND Prime95 runs hotter than just using Prime95. With Prime95 I usually have around 75 full load. I have speedstep on which gives me the extra 1 multiplier. You think i can do this with lower voltages?

Also, I'm using the Lian Li Tyr X500 for the case with the Noctua heatsink and fan at max speed.

Xaeos the step up feature can ruin your stable clock because it increases your multiplier from 20x to 21x. That will give you a 190 mhz boost on load. Try it but you'll need to see if its stable. As for the downclocking feature, its nice because your cpu wont be at max frequency all the time,

I mean its all air and it maxes out at 80 for me. and idles at 37-40 when it downclocks automatically. You think I put a little too much TIM?

whats wrong with higher volt. would the cpu run hotter?

Yes because you are putting in more voltage to the CPU, it will run hotter.

edit: also there is worry that higher voltages than stock will degrade faster. So if I can manage to keep the voltages closer to stock, then my CPU will hopefully have a higher lifespan.

max running voltage is 1.36 - 1.375. max voltage is 1.5(im not sure) i'm going to try for vcore of 1.37 @4 ghz on my 920 i heard of this being possible on 965

So anyone with a noctua fan who oc'ed to 3.8 wanna help me out here? are any of you guys getting around the same temps im getting? im just wondering to see if maybe i applied to much TIM :confused:

those temps look fine. i7's run real hot, i have a water cooler and i get 86 c (i dont think your going to get better then me) ive read 91 c is the limit

yoprado why don't stop f'ing around and get real, dont make it more complicated then you have too

yoprado why don't stop f'ing around and get real, dont make it more complicated then you have too

Lol if what you showed me on your post is real...you are doing a measly 4.0 ghz overclock with 1.42 volts. and you are getting 83 on load? I did a 4.0 oc with 1.35 volts and it maxed out at 87 thats a 5 degree difference. I don't like to have it that high on load. you are putting a lot of voltage into that cpu. Also, I'm not asking for your opinion because we have different setups. Im just wondering from other users who have the NOCTUA heatsink if they get around the same temps or if maybe I would need to reseat my cpu. Im not looking at watercooling. Thank you but I will F around until I find that these temps are pretty much standard for others

Man, those i7 temps seem insane, I can't imagine having that inside my tiny case coughing that much heat into my room during the summer, heh. Must be great for you guys farther north during the winter tho... :p But seriously, that's as hot as some of the most recent GPUs w/their fans turned pretty low, it's gotta be seriously wrecking anyone trying to run one or more plus an i7.

I'm getting what I consider some pretty low temps on my i7 920; overclocked to 3990 GHz.

SmallFFTs-1.jpg

The V10 is a bad boy that needs to go on a diet to fit in most cases

008.jpg

I'm going through a similar thing, but with a Rampage 2 Extreme.

Basically, those temps are relatively normal, but then again I'm running 1.35 cpu voltage and 190x20. It may be a little hot for the voltage you've got. Also, I've turned off all the power save/speedstep features. I'm wondering myself if I should turn them on once I've gotten my "max" OC set nicely.

80s under LinX with my unlapped TRUE is about what I'm running.

I'm also running my i7 @ 190x20 with 1.35 volts. I hit around 82c with my Noctua heatsink, idle is around 42-44c depending on core. However with this warm weekend we had here in NJ my idle is around 46-47c. I hate spring time, not hot enough for the AC so my computers roast.

So anyone with a noctua fan who oc'ed to 3.8 wanna help me out here? are any of you guys getting around the same temps im getting? im just wondering to see if maybe i applied to much TIM :confused:

I am getting around the same temps with my noctua, although I am not using their fans, using Delta set to a low RPM.

3254120418_6c696f76d5_o.jpg

I've got the same board and processor with a Noctua 012 1366. My idle seems about 30-35C at stock clock with 6 2GB DIMMS.

There's gotta be some impact on perfomance when multi-tasking, otherwise what would Intel bring back Hyperthreading for? Has anyone tested this?

max running voltage is 1.36 - 1.375. max voltage is 1.5(im not sure) i'm going to try for vcore of 1.37 @4 ghz on my 920 i heard of this being possible on 965

Max running voltage.. does that mean max voltage for 24/7 use? (1.36 - 1.375)
(Bad english).
I really need to know.

There's gotta be some impact on perfomance when multi-tasking, otherwise what would Intel bring back Hyperthreading for? Has anyone tested this?

http://vr-zone.com/articles/does-core-i7-hyper-threading-helps-/6160.html?doc=6160

hurts gaming performance - but good if you like to run benchmarks

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/ci7-turbo-ht-p1.html

so if you like your cpu to run hotter and give lower performance in most everything...leave it on.

Why would intel put it back in?? - cuz we get 8 cpus and go "oooh cool". Check out every [H] mobo review for x58 when they talk about overclocking they turn it off.

Hyperthreading only works if the application supports it. I think Adobe Premier or Photoshop supported hyperthreading at one time. Maybe they still do.

I have never heard of a game that supports hyperthreading.

It's not application specific it's OS specific windows has been coded to handle HT and therefore applications just need to be coded to take advantage of extra threads. The simple fact is that most applications max out at around 4 threads. Although I'm sure games like Supreme Commander that can take advantage of more threads will use that to their advantage but the gains will still be minimal.

So are the gains minimal simply because apps aren't well threaded enough to take advantage of it or because HT itself isn't very effectively implemented? Or both? I guess outside of certain specialized apps the point is probably moot for a few more years but still...

Back