Help finding new Hardware News Site

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Elf_Boy, Mar 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy 2[H]4U

2. TMCM

TMCM [H]ard|Gawd

3. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Did you read the rules at the top of this forum?

This is not a bad question, but it is not a news story, and probably doesn't belong here.

kju1, MrValentine, kirbyrj and 16 others like this.
  4. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy 2[H]4U

It is about news. Or the lack there of.

5. ButtonPuncher

ButtonPuncher Limp Gawd

It's not news but this is the first place I went too with the same question.

I like PC Per and the Inquirer. I didn't check out Gamers Nexus until today.

For video based news and reviews, I like TekThing and Twit.tv.

BP

captaindiptoad likes this.
  6. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

I would just google ( some piece of modern hardware ) + review, and then see what come up and bookmark as needed.

7. RanceJustice

RanceJustice [H]ardness Supreme

I've never done a serious comparison, but there are relatively few sites like [H] that have been around for a long time and high quality content.

www.Overclock.net - Can anyone confirm that their reviews are where they should be? I'm to understand their forums are from a similar era as [H] and have a lot of in depth discussions, community etc.. but I don't know how their news/reviews stack up honestly, but i have no reason to think ill of them.

www.Guru3d.com may be another? I know they've been around for awhile. I'll have to think of some other sites that are still around; I really didn't go to many beside [H] for serious reviews/discussion

There are some other sites that are specific in regards to certain kinds of hardware - for instance HeadFi www.head-fi.org for headphones/audio and TFTCentral (www.tftcentral.co.uk) for display reviews are both good resources if I recall.

For those with interest in Linux users/gamers/hardware - I suggest Phoronix (www.phoronix.com) and GamingOnLinux (www.gamingonlinux.com), to start.

I'm afraid I don't know too much about reputable YouTube channels or video-focused sites/reviews, at current. I'll have to go check things out but that's a market where there is a really bad signal-to-noise ratio as I describe below.

Normally that would sound like a good idea, but "Ad-vertorial" content or otherwise insufficient review detail/quality/honesty is a real problem. Many of the big name "modern" sites (and their video reviews on YT etc..) have been known to fall into this, despite or in fact because of their popularity. Even some legit / older sites can be significantly biased and even more so if they've been taken over or changed format to "modernize".

I'll come back if I think of others!

captaindiptoad, Baenwort and c3k like this.
  8. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

Gents,

Valid points all around. Let's just be mindful that we must strive to keep news in the news. I'm not jumping anyone about this posting, but let us not fall victim to any slippery slope.

SticKx911 likes this.
  9. Snowdog

Snowdog [H]ardForum Junkie

Or everyone can watch their favorite sites, and post the the best headlines here...

10. Nebell

Nebell [H]ard|Gawd

I visit engadget.com as they are posting about more tech variety than say, gaming websites that show mainly tech that's gaming oriented.

11. jmilcher

jmilcher [H]ardness Supreme

There’s already a thread for this discussion.

I’ve been hanging out at TechPowerUp as of late. I’m enjoying it there.

Armenius and testicle like this.
  12. deton8

deton8 Limp Gawd

I have the Engadget RSS feed (remember those?) but like you said, it's more variety than depth of subject matter of the kind we used to get on here.

13. HeadRusch

HeadRusch [H]ard|Gawd

It will be difficult to match the "right balance of Nerd, Geek and Dork" that Kyle and the Mods brought to the front page, but I'm pretty sure they can still "post that shit here" if they so choose.......so don't discount this place as well, sorted by START DATE of postings so new and stickies are what you see first.

Zareek likes this.
  14. Lmah2x

Lmah2x Gawd

Kyle and team were the best mix of nerd/geek/alpha you won't easily find a replacement.

GamersNexus
    Pcper
    TechReport
    Are what I would recommend for most things.

tftcentral.co.uk for Displays
    jonnyguru for powersupplies

Nightfire and Revdarian like this.
  15. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

16. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

I always did H first, then Toms, Anandtech, OCN then whatever google tech news popped up with. Engadget for general tech stuff. I don't always want videos (like at work) and a lot of things are video heavy.

edit - I just noticed that people are staring to post new news items themselves to the forums. Might not have to venture out after all!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    SticKx911 likes this.
  17. isp

isp 2[H]4U

Just turn on TechTV you'll be fine

Frobozz, FrgMstr and stealthballer123 like this.
  18. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy 2[H]4U

When I am researching a new build - thinking about an upgrade, etc I do that very thing.

My goal and hope is to find a new computer hardware focused general news type site with discussion on the posted stories. I have found several site that focus only on computer hardware for example, I am, however, hoping for the stories to more general and 'nerd'-ish.

19. bbs lm-r

bbs lm-r Limp Gawd

20. Eshelmen

Eshelmen [H]ardness Supreme

If you can find HardOCP, you're surely capable of finding other review sites that fit your needs.

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. Staples

Staples [H]ardness Supreme

You are probably like me who only know the old sites of 15+ years ago. Most have gone bunk by now but I am surprised to see links in this post of some that still survive. I'll have to check them out. The big sites get a lot of crap but they are okay for news.

GhostCow likes this.
  22. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

I'll still be here! I'm old in pc years!

Armenius, SticKx911 and Mav451 like this.
  23. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Waiting til April 2nd 2019....
    Lets make [H] great again and stop this April 1st asshattery!

Skyblue, 86 5.0L, Burticus and 3 others like this.
  24. Betauser

Betauser 2[H]4U

I use [H] for mostly news and trading. Any good site with good trading reputation?

25. swatbat

swatbat [H]ardForum Junkie

I was expecting to see people talk about hypothermia since Steve used to be a big presence here. Maybe screw with him some and ask for updated bra pictures.

26. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Seconded.
    The FS/FT subforum isn't going anywhere. Scratch that:

The whole forum isn't going anywhere.

27. Zarathustra[H]

You know, I was a skeptic at first, but it looks like we have a steady stream of user shared news in this subforum.

Eight new stories just today, thus far.

I posted one the other day. I can't post as prolifically as when I was working the front page news, but I'll throw one up there evey now and then, and if everyone else does too, we should have a good news community.

Just visit the thread sorted by thread start date, for a semi-front page news like experience.

Don't give up on the HardForums quite yet, and maybe even contribute yourself when you come across an interesting story?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  28. Mr. Bluntman

Mr. Bluntman [H]ardness Supreme

It's a shame that Tech Jesus signed the nVIDIA NDA though. Other than that, their PCB breakdowns featuring Buildzoid are second to none, and are a decent source of news. Check out Actually Hardcore Overclocking too, BZ puts up pretty cool content as well. Especially if you like playing with voltage mods and LN2.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  29. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Any way to make that the default? I rather not have to do that every time I visit the subforum.

Unfortunately, don't think this is BS. Fortunately, that means Kyle's got a good position doing what he enjoys doing.

captaindiptoad likes this.
  30. Zarathustra[H]

I haven't found one. You could just bookmark the direct link to the News Forum, sorted by thread creation time/date.

That's probably what I am going to do.

Nobu likes this.
  31. workshop35

workshop35 Gawd

Arstechnica has a lot of interesting news. Been a member of their forums as long as ive been here (november 2000) but its not as active as hardforum

32. Lumpus

Lumpus Limp Gawd

Hardware Unboxed and Gamer's Nexus are my two 'must check daily' sites. Honorable mention to RedGamingTech

Azrak likes this.
  33. Snowdog

Snowdog [H]ardForum Junkie

HWUB and GN are the two tech news tubers that I follow. They both also have web sites with the reviews in readable format.

34. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

They do have good tech articles, but the site and its community are overtly political—and worse still if you are a righty like I am, they are overtly leftist.

I liked how [H] was strict about keeping politics out of the community here. In fact, my only gripe with [H] is how they would sometimes post blatantly political articles then chastise members for making political comments in reply to those same articles. Be that as it may, it seems the no-politics stricture here is being relaxed, or at least not as strictly enforced, and I think this will be a huge detriment going forward. It will probably be the reason why I eventually abandon [H] completely. The internet is replete with communities filled with toxic political sniping, and [H] was a nice oasis from that.

35. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

Years :ROFLMAO:
    /me decades, actually from before PC, and i intend to stick around long enough so my last computer can be a quantum one.

tordogs likes this.
  36. Shadow_Foxx

Shadow_Foxx [H]Lite

Really the only youtuber I feel is unbiased. Hes always willing to call people out, I hope his channel continues to grow.

SamuelL421 and eclypse like this.
  37. Zarathustra[H]

I hope he gets a haircut :p

Shadow_Foxx likes this.
  38. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

which sites DIDNT sign the NV nda?

longblock454, Esso, EBBB and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.