Help finding new Hardware News Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
After [H] what would you suggest as the next best general computer news, hardware review type site?

Looking for one to be a first stop when I have a few minutes here and there.

Thank you!

Did you read the rules at the top of this forum?

This is not a bad question, but it is not a news story, and probably doesn't belong here.

I would just google ( some piece of modern hardware ) + review, and then see what come up and bookmark as needed.

I've never done a serious comparison, but there are relatively few sites like [H] that have been around for a long time and high quality content.

www.Overclock.net - Can anyone confirm that their reviews are where they should be? I'm to understand their forums are from a similar era as [H] and have a lot of in depth discussions, community etc.. but I don't know how their news/reviews stack up honestly, but i have no reason to think ill of them.

www.Guru3d.com may be another? I know they've been around for awhile. I'll have to think of some other sites that are still around; I really didn't go to many beside [H] for serious reviews/discussion

There are some other sites that are specific in regards to certain kinds of hardware - for instance HeadFi www.head-fi.org for headphones/audio and TFTCentral (www.tftcentral.co.uk) for display reviews are both good resources if I recall.

For those with interest in Linux users/gamers/hardware - I suggest Phoronix (www.phoronix.com) and GamingOnLinux (www.gamingonlinux.com), to start.

I'm afraid I don't know too much about reputable YouTube channels or video-focused sites/reviews, at current. I'll have to go check things out but that's a market where there is a really bad signal-to-noise ratio as I describe below.

I would just google ( some piece of modern hardware ) + review, and then see what come up and bookmark as needed.

Normally that would sound like a good idea, but "Ad-vertorial" content or otherwise insufficient review detail/quality/honesty is a real problem. Many of the big name "modern" sites (and their video reviews on YT etc..) have been known to fall into this, despite or in fact because of their popularity. Even some legit / older sites can be significantly biased and even more so if they've been taken over or changed format to "modernize".

I'll come back if I think of others!

Did you read the rules at the top of this forum?

This is not a bad question, but it is not a news story, and probably doesn't belong here.

It is about news. Or the lack there of.

It's not news but this is the first place I went too with the same question.

I like PC Per and the Inquirer. I didn't check out Gamers Nexus until today.

For video based news and reviews, I like TekThing and Twit.tv.

BP

Gents,

Valid points all around. Let's just be mindful that we must strive to keep news in the news. I'm not jumping anyone about this posting, but let us not fall victim to any slippery slope.

I visit engadget.com as they are posting about more tech variety than say, gaming websites that show mainly tech that's gaming oriented.

After [H] what would you suggest as the next best general computer news, hardware review type site?

Looking for one to be a first stop when I have a few minutes here and there.

Thank you!
There’s already a thread for this discussion.

I’ve been hanging out at TechPowerUp as of late. I’m enjoying it there.

I visit engadget.com as they are posting about more tech variety than say, gaming websites that show mainly tech that's gaming oriented.
I have the Engadget RSS feed (remember those?) but like you said, it's more variety than depth of subject matter of the kind we used to get on here.

It will be difficult to match the "right balance of Nerd, Geek and Dork" that Kyle and the Mods brought to the front page, but I'm pretty sure they can still "post that shit here" if they so choose.......so don't discount this place as well, sorted by START DATE of postings so new and stickies are what you see first.

Kyle and team were the best mix of nerd/geek/alpha you won't easily find a replacement.

GamersNexus
Pcper
TechReport
Are what I would recommend for most things.

tftcentral.co.uk for Displays
jonnyguru for powersupplies

I always did H first, then Toms, Anandtech, OCN then whatever google tech news popped up with. Engadget for general tech stuff. I don't always want videos (like at work) and a lot of things are video heavy.

edit - I just noticed that people are staring to post new news items themselves to the forums. Might not have to venture out after all!

Last edited:

When I am researching a new build - thinking about an upgrade, etc I do that very thing.

My goal and hope is to find a new computer hardware focused general news type site with discussion on the posted stories. I have found several site that focus only on computer hardware for example, I am, however, hoping for the stories to more general and 'nerd'-ish.

If you can find HardOCP, you're surely capable of finding other review sites that fit your needs.

You are probably like me who only know the old sites of 15+ years ago. Most have gone bunk by now but I am surprised to see links in this post of some that still survive. I'll have to check them out. The big sites get a lot of crap but they are okay for news.

I use [H] for mostly news and trading. Any good site with good trading reputation?

I was expecting to see people talk about hypothermia since Steve used to be a big presence here. Maybe screw with him some and ask for updated bra pictures.

There’s already a thread for this discussion.

I’ve been hanging out at TechPowerUp as of late. I’m enjoying it there.
Seconded.
I use [H] for mostly news and trading. Any good site with good trading reputation?
The FS/FT subforum isn't going anywhere. Scratch that:

The whole forum isn't going anywhere.

You know, I was a skeptic at first, but it looks like we have a steady stream of user shared news in this subforum.

Eight new stories just today, thus far.

I posted one the other day. I can't post as prolifically as when I was working the front page news, but I'll throw one up there evey now and then, and if everyone else does too, we should have a good news community.

Just visit the thread sorted by thread start date, for a semi-front page news like experience.

Don't give up on the HardForums quite yet, and maybe even contribute yourself when you come across an interesting story?

Last edited:
I've been really liking https://www.gamersnexus.net/ and their youtube channel
It's a shame that Tech Jesus signed the nVIDIA NDA though. Other than that, their PCB breakdowns featuring Buildzoid are second to none, and are a decent source of news. Check out Actually Hardcore Overclocking too, BZ puts up pretty cool content as well. Especially if you like playing with voltage mods and LN2.

Last edited:
You know, I was a skeptic at first, but it looks like we have a steady stream of user shared news in this subforum.

Eight new stories just today, thus far.

I posted one the other day. I can't post as prolifically as when I was working the front page news, but I'll throw one up there evey now and then, and if everyone else does too, we should have a good news community.

Just visit the thread sorted by thread start date, for a semi-front page news like experience.

Don't give up on the HardForums quite yet, and maybe even contribute yourself when you come across an interesting story?
Any way to make that the default? I rather not have to do that every time I visit the subforum.

Waiting til April 2nd 2019....
Lets make [H] great again and stop this April 1st asshattery!
Unfortunately, don't think this is BS. Fortunately, that means Kyle's got a good position doing what he enjoys doing.

Any way to make that the default? I rather not have to do that every time I visit the subforum.

I haven't found one. You could just bookmark the direct link to the News Forum, sorted by thread creation time/date.

That's probably what I am going to do.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Arstechnica has a lot of interesting news. Been a member of their forums as long as ive been here (november 2000) but its not as active as hardforum

Hardware Unboxed and Gamer's Nexus are my two 'must check daily' sites. Honorable mention to RedGamingTech

Reactions: Azrak
like this
Hardware Unboxed and Gamer's Nexus are my two 'must check daily' sites. Honorable mention to RedGamingTech

HWUB and GN are the two tech news tubers that I follow. They both also have web sites with the reviews in readable format.

Arstechnica has a lot of interesting news. Been a member of their forums as long as ive been here (november 2000) but its not as active as hardforum
They do have good tech articles, but the site and its community are overtly political—and worse still if you are a righty like I am, they are overtly leftist.

I liked how [H] was strict about keeping politics out of the community here. In fact, my only gripe with [H] is how they would sometimes post blatantly political articles then chastise members for making political comments in reply to those same articles. Be that as it may, it seems the no-politics stricture here is being relaxed, or at least not as strictly enforced, and I think this will be a huge detriment going forward. It will probably be the reason why I eventually abandon [H] completely. The internet is replete with communities filled with toxic political sniping, and [H] was a nice oasis from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back