Hello GV100

wow, Volta looks like it's going to be a beast! I'm glad the eVGA 1080Ti FTW3 has been so hard to come by, because now I'll happily make due with my 980Ti until Volta drops

That is exactly my plan!

Too bad nvidia won't give us mainstream peasants some HBM 2.0

Peasants aren't likely to get HBM until the price comes down, if it comes down. It also doesn't make any difference if the appropriate GDDR is available. Only AMD was willing to subsidize the under-performing HBM1 in order to get a promotional point to wave for their underperforming Fury GPUs.

2x gtx 970s here, same plan :D.

Thirded... and now that Gx102 dies, full-size versions of Gx104, versus the larger compute-oriented Gx100 dies, have become a thing, I'm likely to just grab every other one after release-day shenanigans die down. We getting a 1180Ti/2080Ti/whatever before the end of the year?

I wouldn't count on a 2080TI. But a 2070 and 2080, perhaps 2060 too. (Assuming its 2000 series).

I would guess Q3 for GV104 and Q4 for GV106.

I wouldn't count on a 2080TI. But a 2070 and 2080, perhaps 2060 too. (Assuming its 2000 series).

If we are talking 2017, I agree. I think we'll see a Ti model in 2018 though. Normally I'd estimate in about 18 months time, but nvidia seems to be on an accelerated schedule lately so who knows...

wow, Volta looks like it's going to be a beast! I'm glad the eVGA 1080Ti FTW3 has been so hard to come by, because now I'll happily make due with my 980Ti until Volta drops

This is the path I'll be taking as well. No need for me to upgrade from my Titan X til we see what this beast can do.

My thoughts are not far off from yours.
It would be a pleasant surprise if GV104 is Q3 and there was that rumour it moving forward (which did originally fit to be around Q4).
So maybe if accelerating rollout late Q3 to early Q4 for GV104 but I think they will slightly stagger launch between 2080 and 2070 (a little bit afterwards).
Personally I see GV106 as next year.
They will probably pull same cycle with Titan again and use a cut down GV102 releasing it at latest (and possibly earlier) Feb-March 2018 (update to full core much later), it would not be too late next year because GV102 is required for Tesla and then a bit afterwards Quadro.
As a guess I would expect that before a GV106.
Cheers

Last edited:
https://www.hpcwire.com/2017/05/10/nvidias-mammoth-volta-gpu-aims-high-ai-hpc/

“It’s worth noting that Volta has the biggest change to the GPU threading model basically since I can remember and I’ve been programming GPUs for a while,” he said. “With Volta we can actually have forward progress guarantees for threads inside the same warp even if they need to synchronize, which we have never been able to do before. This is going to enable a lot more interesting algorithms to be written using the GPU, so a lot of code that you just couldn’t write before because it potentially would hang the GPU based on that thread scheduling model is now possible. I’m pretty excited about that, especially for some sparser kinds of data analytics workloads there’s a lot of use cases where we want to be collaborating between threads in more complicated ways and Volta has a thread scheduler can accommodate that.

Added Alben: “This was done through a combination of process and architectural changes but primarily architecture. This was a very significant rewrite of the processor architecture. The Tensor Core part is obviously very [significant] but even if you look at FP32 and FP64, we’re talking about 50 percent more performance in the same power budget as where we’re at with Pasca

So 50% increase in performance right off the bat from the architecture, then add in the increased clocks, we are looking at least ~60% over comparable same bracket Pascal cards.

Last edited:
Potential **60 or **70 customer here. I mean, I was aiming for a 1070/1060/580... but why the hell not wait now with this coming. Not to mention we still have to see Vega.

Le sigh.... maybe I'll still be waiting @ September birthday.

Potential **60 or **70 customer here. I mean, I was aiming for a 1070/1060/580... but why the hell not wait now with this coming. Not to mention we still have to see Vega.

Don't wait, buy now. It's still 6-8 months until the launch. Don't deprive yourself because of that.

Don't wait, buy now. It's still 6-8 months until the launch. Don't deprive yourself because of that.

$$$ means I kind of HAVE to wait. It would be hard but not impossible to drop the ~$350 for a new 1070 right now. 4 months from now, not so hard. And 4 months from now is only another 2-4 months from launch.... and since this is an upgrade from a 6950/70, I'm used to waiting by now. I want a card that'll last as long as this one.

$$$ means I kind of HAVE to wait. It would be hard but not impossible to drop the ~$350 for a new 1070 right now. 4 months from now, not so hard. And 4 months from now is only another 2-4 months from launch.... and since this is an upgrade from a 6950/70, I'm used to waiting by now. I want a card that'll last as long as this one.

Lasting long is very subjective. No GPU lasts long when you have to have max settings.

What you can do is get a 1050Ti now and enjoy a great performance boost at 1080p. From my estimates it'll be an 80% increase from a 6970. And it's only a little over $120.

And you can save up some more, sell the 1050Ti for a small loss and grab a GV104 GPU for about $400, and enjoy another great performance jump.

Lasting long is very subjective. No GPU lasts long when you have to have max settings.

What you can do is get a 1050Ti now and enjoy a great performance boost at 1080p. From my estimates it'll be an 80% increase from a 6970. And it's only a little over $120.

And you can save up some more, sell the 1050Ti for a small loss and grab a GV104 GPU for about $400, and enjoy another great performance jump.

I guess.... it's just a harder sell. And I likely wouldn't even sell back the 1050ti because it would be put into the older Son's PC - or I would feel compelled to build another rig around it for the bedroom. No.. this is going to be mid-level graphics or nothing. This is for me. And I actually went back and found the email from when I purchased my 6950 because I was curious.

Invoice Date:
12/16/2010 8:53:16 AM

I guess.... it's just a harder sell. And I likely wouldn't even sell back the 1050ti because it would be put into the older Son's PC - or I would feel compelled to build another rig around it for the bedroom. No.. this is going to be mid-level graphics or nothing. This is for me. And I actually went back and found the email from when I purchased my 6950 because I was curious.

Invoice Date:
12/16/2010 8:53:16 AM
It shouldn't be harder to sel. If you buy itfor $120 you can resell for $80+ in a few months (basically you're renting a GPU for a few months), the 750ti and 950 are holding their value; people need 75W cards for mainstream/low end gaming and upgrading OEM systems (I know, I have a WTB post in Buy/Sell/Trade) and the new Volta low end probably won't be released yet.

When you want to use the hardware is key. Of course I'd 'like' to get Volta performance for 1440p144hz, but I will be buying in about 2 months and seriously doubt retail availability will come before September 2017. I can just hope people start to 'sell off' their GPUs in preparation for the launch (used 1080 or 1080ti are target GPUs)

The last gaming GPU I had was a Radeon 5850, using a GT 730 now for windows computing as a stopgap (in games it's a joke especially at 1440p)

Last edited:
So how long did it take from GP100 to GP104 launch?
Looks like I'm skipping the 1080Ti.

...it's not out yet. "Showcase" literally meant PowerPoint slides which is what we just saw. I doubt it'll be out this year. Maybe mid 2018 in volume. The 1080ti is still totally worth it if you're looking for a upgrade now; and you also have to remember they'll likely launch a shit ton of Founder's Edition cards first followed by the much more sought-after ti version, and then a while longer before the partner boards come out with their custom cooling. So like I said it's still a while out yet. The ti of the 1080ti was such a huge jump from the standard 1080 that if I could have skipped the 1080 I would have.

...it's not out yet. "Showcase" literally meant PowerPoint slides which is what we just saw. I doubt it'll be out this year. Maybe mid 2018 in volume. The 1080ti is still totally worth it if you're looking for a upgrade now; and you also have to remember they'll likely launch a shit ton of Founder's Edition cards first followed by the much more sought-after ti version, and then a while longer before the partner boards come out with their custom cooling. So like I said it's still a while out yet. The ti of the 1080ti was such a huge jump from the standard 1080 that if I could have skipped the 1080 I would have.
I will probably be in the market for Ti class Volta based card when it inevitably launches, and I'm quite looking forward >2x performance compared to my 980Ti. Skipping a generation sure makes upgrades feel good :p

Once waiting we will always be waiting. I never play the waiting game. You are looking at another 8 months of wait for gaming GPUs.

Exactly. Though now I'm on a 1070 I can afford to wait for Volta Ti. Was gonna jump to 1080Ti but turning down *some* settings won't hurt.

I wonder if they will launch the Titan version 2-3 months after the x080 series again. The guys who bought the first pascal titan X have had a nice run at they are still almost the top dog.

Back