Hello Games Currently Testing “Experimental” No Man's Sky PC Patch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The No Man’s Sky devs are clearly working overtime to fix their “disastrous” launch, as they already have a new patch that addresses everything from stuttering to better hardware support. Any of you playing already and regret not waiting before throwing down $60?

The patch features improved support for AMD CPUs, fixes for framerate stuttering, setting the max frames-per-second to 30 or 60 not working, mouse jittering, and crashes that occurred after Alt+tabbing out of the game. The game will now also notify you if you are running the game with an unsupported graphics card and disable the Gsync feature by default, which was causing some technical problems. Players can access the patch now by right-clicking on the game in their stream library, going to the "Properties" option, selecting the "Betas" tab, typing in the code "3xperimental" in the field provided, then selecting the new option that appears in the drop-down menu. They can also wait for the patch to hit for everyone "early next week," according to Hello Games.

Personally I'm not sure how anyone can consider this a 60$ AAA game.

ALTHOUGH... they sure did Launch like one.....
I agree. I didn't buy into the hype this time. Cardinal signs were there for a un polished shitty game cash grab riding the hype train. No thanks. I'll pick it up on Steam for 14.99 next month.

I agree. I didn't buy into the hype this time. Cardinal signs were there for a un polished shitty game cash grab riding the hype train. No thanks. I'll pick it up on Steam for 14.99 next month.

I think the signs were there for boring/tedious/repetitive gameplay but I don't think anyone expected the 'disastrous' performance issues at launch...although with Hello Games being a tiny indie studio I guess it's not surprising

I think the signs were there for boring/tedious/repetitive gameplay but I don't think anyone expected the 'disastrous' performance issues at launch...although with Hello Games being a tiny indie studio I guess it's not surprising

Sounds to me like you are expecting the wrong type of game. Different people like different types of game. This is a game where you find new planets and explore them while gathering resources, which isn't for everyone. However that can be said of any game, no game is going to be liked by everyone.

People that like this type of game are loving it.
Total Biscuit does a good vid on the state of gaming, qa and development in general. Plus you can see some nms as he dawdles around.

Sounds to me like you are expecting the wrong type of game. Different people like different types of game. This is a game where you find new planets and explore them while gathering resources, which isn't for everyone. However that can be said of any game, no game is going to be liked by everyone.

the game is exactly what I thought it was going to be...I was hoping for more depth and that Hello Games were holding things close to the vest as far as gameplay but it's exactly what the earliest trailers and gameplay videos depicted...can't say they were misleading because they showed exactly what the game was...the game is all about resource hunting and exploring and like I've said many times if that's what you're into then this is the game for you...strip away the gameplay elements from any game and leave the exploration and you have No Man's Sky

exploring a 'quintillion' similar planets would get old for me quick after the initial buzz wears off...they needed to create a more interesting and diverse world filled with wildlife, aliens and other creatures in my opinion rather then a barren wasteland of billions of colorful planets

Space Engine doesn't visualize the flora and fauna yet, but if you want to explore a non-cartooney, procedurally generated universe it's free.

exploring a 'Quintilian' similar planets would get old for me quick after the initial buzz wears off...they needed to create a more interesting and diverse world filled with wildlife, aliens and other creatures in my opinion rather then a barren wasteland of billions of colorful planets

I agree with this...

Various planets some without life would make more sense. LIFE is precious and VERY uncommon in the real universe.

From all the Youtube vids I watched.. everyone spawned on the same planet.

I got it for 30, and i sort of regret it.
It's like 1/4th of a game at the moment. Bugs and performance issues aside, it's got like no content and almost nothing to do at the moment.
I think however it's a good starting point for some mods that can completely revamp it.
Here's where i think they messed up:
Space is 100% colonized (bullshit). There are only 3 aliens who don't have borders that randomly fill up every single planet.
There are only rocky planets.
There are oceans but nothing in them (no resources, no reason to go into them).
Technology isn't trade-able, you have to randomly find it.
There is always at least one space station.
Creatures look like rejects from spore and have no AI.
Asteroids are everywhere.
Big freighters like to warp in on top of you. But there's no such thing as piracy in the game. They carry loads of common minerals.
Pirates however will scan you and pull you out of warp and swarm/kill you very fast. The only way to escape is to kill them before they kill you.
Ships are only cosmetic. The best ships have more slots but it's not dependent on their size/looks.
There are only like 12 different planet events you can find. Each planet is peppered with literally hundreds of events. Each planet has one of those 3 aliens (only one type of alien inhabits the system at random).
There are no real barren/gas/ice planets.
The game basically wraps the whole thing about having nothing to do by making survival fairly tedious. You're constantly mining resources just to repair equipment. Once you take that away you'll notice you're really doing nothing and everything is the same.

I could go on, but yeah. They need to take the engine and completely remake this.

I got it for 30, and i sort of regret it.
It's like 1/4th of a game at the moment. Bugs and performance issues aside, it's got like no content and almost nothing to do at the moment.
I think however it's a good starting point for some mods that can completely revamp it.

I could go on, but yeah. They need to take the engine and completely remake this.

the game is smoke and mirrors...an elaborate resource grinder wrapped around the hook of a seemingly endless universe...problem is that there's nothing to do in this universe except tedious grinding to get that warp drive or unobtanium so you can just go do the same thing on another planet

I didn't know what to expect. I had high hopes for the game. I was debating whether or not to pre-order the game. Once Hello Games did not allow reviews before release I knew better than to pre-order. Most games that have a review embargo until after the game is release turns out to be garbage at release. I'll wait for it to get Battleborned in a month or two.

No man's sky? more like No man's Lies. I was hoping for more but they dropped the ball so very hard. I'm interested still even with all the flaws at maybe 30 or 40$

Like many I was really looking forward to this game, but it released at the wrong time for me, with Legion so close I have got sucked back into WoW, with a vengeance lol.

Still plan to play this one day, maybe next year lol

Every planet is pretty much the same. Might look a bit dif but every planet is the same. Boring.

I got sucked in and purchased it for $60. Played it for 2hrs, got to the center, asked for a refund.

I got sucked in and purchased it for $60. Played it for 2hrs, got to the center, asked for a refund.

did you really get to the center that fast?...either way I think getting their faster would help the game...grinding through hundreds of planets would be tedious as hell...and what reward do you get for getting to the center?...probably nothing

There are only rocky planets.
There are oceans but nothing in them (no resources, no reason to go into them).
I've found more then just rocky planets, found an icy waterworld type (peppered with small islands, and some kinda flying dragon)
Steam Community :: Screenshot :: Flying dragon fish
Found an abandoned building underwater

The game is pretty much what I expected, I can't say I like all the animations that happen (find a new place, talk to someone, use that scanner thingy)
It feels like a mix of Spore and Freelancer with less to do, so I'm happy

Edit: just wanted to add I've come across a planet with aquaspheres (those green markers) and gold underwater. It's in an O system so you need a theta class warp drive to get to it.
Steam Community :: Screenshot :: aquaspheres are underwater (figures)

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Centre in two hours? Bullfuckingshit. Only way that is possible is on PS4 pre-release version, before it's patched. Now it's 10x the size it's simply impossible short of major exploits/hacking the game. In fact I'm not even sure if anyone has reached the centre yet on the release patched versions.

I'm 22 hours in (longer than I spent in doom and it cost the same) and I've barely scratched the surface... have not found heaps of stuff. Well worth the $ just performance hitches time to time can dampen it a little.
It's an experience for sure. Sitting on a huge mountain in a desolate world with toxic rain making beautiful rain sounds on your ship roof is spellbinding. Watch the weather roll in, sunrise etc... immersive as hell.

P.s. STFU/Spoiler it if someone has centre information, please.

Watched some videos of this disappointing game and glad I didn't buy in. It's actually graphicly not very pretty. The biggest issue I see is that people are still willing to pay $60 for an unreviewed unfinished game with zero content.
I guess the people have been given so much crap that it is expected now. Sad

Centre in two hours? Bullfuckingshit. Only way that is possible is on PS4 pre-release version, before it's patched. Now it's 10x the size it's simply impossible short of major exploits/hacking the game. In fact I'm not even sure if anyone has reached the centre yet on the release patched versions.

I finished the Atlas path in less than six hours on PC having no idea from the start what I was doing, so it's not that difficult. The thing that slowed me down the most was trying to find drop pods to max out my inventory, which was done by the first planet once I realized those things were so abundant (I back tracked, as there were no hazards on my first planet wearing my shields down.) Finding all of the pods took longer than farming units to fuel my adventure, and I fueled those upgrades almost exclusively from bypass chips. Units were easy after that, the second planet I landed on had little spikey plants that dropped sac venom. I'd just land somewhere, hit the scanner, if there was a large grouping of them, blast them all, hide/run from the sentinels, take off in the ship and haul ass to the trade outpost I had scanned, sell it all, rinse and repeat. Usually I'd leave the planet just barely to get more speed, to go back to the trade outpost. Every time I had to refuel, I'd get iron and plutonium to make bypass chips/sell those too after my ship was fueled to waste less time per run.

I ended up with a 42 slot explorer ship by activating a beacon and flying to the wreckage on some toxic planet, and enough money to just buy components to make warp cells the entire way. I also only received three Atlas stones from world interaction; I found the rest either trading with ships, or at the exchange... I can completely imagine someone doing a non-Atlas path to the center in under two hours purchasing their way with bypass chips, sac venom, or gravitino balls. Sentinels are a joke, and are easy to de-aggro so you can be a greedy dick on pretty much every planet with treasured life.

I'm working on a second playthrough, telling Atlas to get stuffed and most of my money this time is coming from modules from sentinels, easy money with rapid fire and a damage improved bolt caster; it still feels like I don't have to worry about anything, or mine for resources beyond just keeping things topped up. I've been destroying the titanium that drops rather than selling it, and ignoring the canisters, because I'd rather fill my slots with neutrino modules. I also discovered this play through that grenades can gather iron one hell of a lot faster than a crazy upgraded mining beam, or wasting time looking around for iron asteroids in space.

It is no surprise to me that so many people have requested a refund, once you're dialed into a workable strategy the game becomes an escalator with the illusion of discovery attached. Hit scanner, get in ship, fly, land, interact with whatever, do it again until you're bored to death. Maybe start digging with grenades thinking you're going to find something amazing, and get bored with that too. I think it'll take another year of development/content patches to make this game even begin to feel complete, and by then the Reddit attention span of the Internet will have moved on. :(

I really want this game. I've always loved exploration games and wish we had more. I just cant justify 60 dollars + I still havent even beaten FO4 and Doom '16. Even after I beat those I may wait till I can find it cheap. This game wasnt ready from the start and the dev's knew it.

I finished the Atlas path in less than six hours on PC having no idea from the start what I was doing, so it's not that difficult. The thing that slowed me down the most was trying to find drop pods to max out my inventory, which was done by the first planet once I realized those things were so abundant (I back tracked, as there were no hazards on my first planet wearing my shields down.) Finding all of the pods took longer than farming units to fuel my adventure, and I fueled those upgrades almost exclusively from bypass chips. Units were easy after that, the second planet I landed on had little spikey plants that dropped sac venom. I'd just land somewhere, hit the scanner, if there was a large grouping of them, blast them all, hide/run from the sentinels, take off in the ship and haul ass to the trade outpost I had scanned, sell it all, rinse and repeat. Usually I'd leave the planet just barely to get more speed, to go back to the trade outpost. Every time I had to refuel, I'd get iron and plutonium to make bypass chips/sell those too after my ship was fueled to waste less time per run.

I ended up with a 42 slot explorer ship by activating a beacon and flying to the wreckage on some toxic planet, and enough money to just buy components to make warp cells the entire way. I also only received three Atlas stones from world interaction; I found the rest either trading with ships, or at the exchange... I can completely imagine someone doing a non-Atlas path to the center in under two hours purchasing their way with bypass chips, sac venom, or gravitino balls. Sentinels are a joke, and are easy to de-aggro so you can be a greedy dick on pretty much every planet with treasured life.

I'm working on a second playthrough, telling Atlas to get stuffed and most of my money this time is coming from modules from sentinels, easy money with rapid fire and a damage improved bolt caster; it still feels like I don't have to worry about anything, or mine for resources beyond just keeping things topped up. I've been destroying the titanium that drops rather than selling it, and ignoring the canisters, because I'd rather fill my slots with neutrino modules. I also discovered this play through that grenades can gather iron one hell of a lot faster than a crazy upgraded mining beam, or wasting time looking around for iron asteroids in space.

It is no surprise to me that so many people have requested a refund, once you're dialed into a workable strategy the game becomes an escalator with the illusion of discovery attached. Hit scanner, get in ship, fly, land, interact with whatever, do it again until you're bored to death. Maybe start digging with grenades thinking you're going to find something amazing, and get bored with that too. I think it'll take another year of development/content patches to make this game even begin to feel complete, and by then the Reddit attention span of the Internet will have moved on. :(

Hmm, the game normally doesn't give you large inventory ships right off the bat. They force you into a progression system where you only find ships 1 or 2 slots above your current one. I guess you were running the day 1 version.

I bought the game and it's running beautifully on my new 1080 at max settings with no stuttering of any kind. After 20 or so hours, I'm still having a blast.

Bought it, loaded it, watched in open in a small window, got far enough in to change the settings, realized I was in for a poor performing, repetitive grind fest and asked for and received a refund. I hope it gets better and maybe cheaper (if it gets better I may go in for $60), but it is probably a pass. I really wanted to like it.

Also, that Alt-Tab issue can be workied around by going into your windows task-manager (ctrl-shift-esc), show "More details", Click the arrow Next to No Man's Sky, right-click the process, and click "Switch to".

I wouldn't pay $60 for it but I quite liked what I saw. I don't think this game's for everybody, it's gonna appeal to the exploration/grinding crowd, ala Starbound etc.

Hmm, the game normally doesn't give you large inventory ships right off the bat. They force you into a progression system where you only find ships 1 or 2 slots above your current one. I guess you were running the day 1 version.

Yup, straight from GOG, nolifed it until the game was over. Did not expect it to do what it did after the end... :p I asked to buy a few ships prior to finding the crashed one, but turned them down based on overpriced crap/ugly compared to the DLC ship, I wonder if that influences the progression mechanic if it were present? I also saw a 50 slot RV looking ship before completing the game: 80 million something units! Money comes easy, but not that easy.

Yup, straight from GOG, nolifed it until the game was over. Did not expect it to do what it did after the end... :p I asked to buy a few ships prior to finding the crashed one, but turned them down based on overpriced crap/ugly compared to the DLC ship, I wonder if that influences the progression mechanic if it were present? I also saw a 50 slot RV looking ship before completing the game: 80 million something units! Money comes easy, but not that easy.

Whatever they did in the day 1 patch was obviously put in place to prevent speed runs to the ending, guess they weren't expecting a few scenarios. When hitting space stations I only encounter ships at most 10 slots above my current one(which was very rare, they're usually 4-6), but yeah incredibly overpriced and not worth it. Afterwards I did some ship hunting and every ship I encountered was only 1 slot above my current one, 6 in a row so far. My game eventually encountered the blueprints bug where I am not able to receive blueprints. I quit playing, this game is definitely not worth $60. Give them 6 months from them to iron it out and stitch some new ideas on because as it is I got bored about 4 hours in.

My son is a little pissed. Built a nice system, then got this game. 30 FPS locked. At least he's playing in 4K, so he's happy about that. He likes the game enough, just a lot of bugs.

Of course, the hype machine worked on him. He bought it for the PS4, too, as it released early.... I'd say "A fool and his money ....", but he really likes the game and is getting his monies worth, so it's not a total loss.

My son is a little pissed. Built a nice system, then got this game. 30 FPS locked. At least he's playing in 4K, so he's happy about that. He likes the game enough, just a lot of bugs.

Of course, the hype machine worked on him. He bought it for the PS4, too, as it released early.... I'd say "A fool and his money ....", but he really likes the game and is getting his monies worth, so it's not a total loss.
Can't judge someone that spends money on something they love.

I really enjoy the game. It's been a great stress relief and such a chill game. The best game to play while...altered.

Recommendation: Turn off the in game music, throw on a progressive trance playlist, and play....changes the game!

Can't judge someone that spends money on something they love.
Not only that, but it's a relatively inexpensive learning experience.

Now he knows to be more prudent when buying 2 copies of something in the future. :D

The game is an exploration sandbox game so expect more added features like Minecraft over time. Once they get base building, etc in there it will be a lot more fun. I've spent quite a few hours just finding plnaets and haven't even built a hyper drive yet.

Multiplayer would make it amazing. Hopefully they can do it but may not be that easy to implement if planets are generated differently for every user. Maybe they can allow players to meet at space stations?

Back