Heat waves, what do you guys and gals do?

RickyJ

Gawd
Right now I'm idling at more than my normal full load temperature. Was super hot all weekend, super hot today, and it's gonna be the same all week. Super hot for us in June is 30C in the shade, gets hotter in the rest of the summer. No clouds, no wind, very humid coastal city.

Duct-tape + house fan + kitty litter box that my cats just finished:

kitty-shroud.jpg

Kittah helped:
lily-helper.jpg

Temps only dropped 1.5C though. :eek:

What methods do you guys use, or do you just grin and bear it? :cool:

LOL! I think you need to clean your cat's litterbox so it isn't tempted to get on your desk to get at the "Special Kitty". :D

Meh, on air, side panel off, small fan pointed directly on the mobo lowers temps a good 5 degrees C or more.

I do nothing as my fine tuned german engineered cooling loop requires no changes.
f_eyebrows.gif

my piece of shit D-link router that runs hot enough already kept crapping out on me, so I directed a gimped house fan at it and it's been running happily ever since :p

I move into the basement....upstairs I was idling around 42C.....now I'm sitting at a cool 29c idle and 38c load on my amd x2 stock cooler and all my fans as quiet as possible :)

Nothing. My finely tuned (read: untuned) chiller really does wonders.

i dropped back down to stock and undervolted my x2
but it still sits at a rather warm 35C :( even with an si-120
but hey, my room temps are about 29C at night on the average day (highest is aw was about 31.5C at night)

Our house is on a hill, and my window (upstairs) faces south. I get hot sunshine for 15-16 hours a day, while the rest of the house stays cool. :eek:
Idle is usually 32-34C, load 38C. Was at 43C idle 4 hours ago, down to 39.5C now. I just turned the house fan down to the low setting, kittah's ears were hurting. :(

I know I could lose a few degrees if I cleaned the inside of my rad and made it the case exhaust instead of the intake. Sounds like a project for tomorrow....and there'll be at least 1 kittah helping out as usual. :D

Perhaps it just the way the picture was taken... but that looks like one big friggen cat.

Central Air FTW. It doesn't matter if is -20F or 100F outside, my house is at 72F. I guess I just don't understand what the problem is. :confused:

Viper87227 said:
Perhaps it just the way the picture was taken... but that looks like one big friggen cat.
Camera was close. For reference, her tail measures 8" long. She's a fairly small cat, she was a runt we pulled out from under a barn 10 years ago in the interior of BC. :D

Wish our igloo had some sort of HVAC system. :p

I let my aquaero do the work; the fans just run a little louder than before, and maybe the temps are a little higher, but no big deal. BTW, right now it's 82F in my office :eek: but my rig is idling at 32C and still not loud.

Nothing, my finely tuned personally engineered water cooling system keeps everything running smooth as silk.

I mean seriously, who gives a flying crap if a german engineered all of your components? I would much rather intelligently choose my own components to work optimally together than to trust somebody else's word.

10" personal fan, open window, no ducting. Doesn't really do much for my computer but it does wonders for my router and modem.

this heatwave is the reason I went from air to watercooling.

"tornado fan" ftw

i've got two of those bad boys (in black) :cool:

My cat weighs 23 lbs! Same type as yours Rick. BTW where are you? It was like 105 here in Vancouver, WA yesterday.

Since the home is airconditioned, I do nothing :)

My case (for now, along with my desks) in in a corner underneath a loft bed, so heat likes to have a habit of sticking around and slowing growing through the day. If I keep it on all day, I literally have to turn the fan in my room up at nighttime from the heat build-up. I might make a long cardboard and ducttape path from the exhaust of my psu fan (only internal fan) and external heatercore to the nearest window.

My AC is almost directly behind my case. I have the rear case fan blowing in. :)

belmicah said:
My cat weighs 23 lbs! Same type as yours Rick. BTW where are you? It was like 105 here in Vancouver, WA yesterday.
23 lbs is a decently big kitty. Victoria, BC since you asked. 105F ~ 40C is damn hot! :eek:

Spent the day reworking my loop. Rad is now the case exhaust, fans pulling as usual. Lots more airflow this way, one rad fan used to blow against my burner (1" away), and I'm using almost all of the rad surface now (used to be through 2x120mm blowholes). 90/10 mix of distilled and Pentosin red now, versus straight distilled before. AS5 on the cpu is still settling, but I'm 37C with fans on high (no kitty fan this time) and the room is cooler than the other day. I centered the block as best as I could (while watching temps of course), and the cpu is running 4C over the gpu as usual so it should be pretty good. Now running t-line -> pump -> gpu -> rad -> cpu -> pump. And yes, the kitties were helping.

I first set up my loop when I was living in Calgary in the summer 2 years ago. Even during the amazing thunderstorms, it was hot hot hot. It was a great feeling dropping 30C over a decent aircooler. :D

@ headala, 5C over ambient seems a little too good to be true for non-evap watercooling. What temp sensors are you using? What's your setup? Not trying to start shit here, just curious about your wicked temps.

RickyJ, do you want a piece of me, DO YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME?

Just kidding :D

I don't mind at all you asking about my setup. Actually, I'm not quite happy with it, because if fluctuates quite a bit when it hits a big load...but anyway, I'm just using the built-in sensor and reading it in speedfan (yeah, I know how inaccurate they are, but it read 50-60C using the stock HSF, so it can't be THAT low). I'm using a storm, D5, 2 AC twinplex's, 2xdeltas on a swiftech 120.2 rad, and the water temp is currently 31.2 C and the barb going into the rad is 29.4C(taped to the outside of the rad and insulated) (both of those sensors verified by my wife's basal thermometer...just don't tell her :D).

So, I don't really have any way to measure the die directly, since I don't want to mill a groove and I couldn't get a sensor placement that didn't interfere witht the block.

Ah right, heatspreaders and onboard sensors....my favourites. :p Sounds like a good setup. Glad I can put an independant sensor right beside my die though.

Currently at 35C, and it's only 20C outside right now. I don't like moving backwards. :eek:
Definately going to go with a completely new loop in a new case when I upgrade eventually. WC has evolved nicely since I bought top-notch stuff 2 years ago.

Back